Is there lore behind the Legendary Envoy armor?

Tremidine.6871

I just made the Legendary Light Envoy armor set a couple months ago and I got to wondering if there was any lore significance behind the armor, considering the amount of sheer time and effort it takes to get it.Some legendary weapons do, so that's why I ask. For example, I've heard that Eternity/Sunrise/Twilight are essentially "windows" into "something more".I know the envoys are beings that guide people to their afterlife, but not much about the armor itself.Edit: My only conclusion is that the Envoy Armor either shares the Envoy's power or that it is somehow the armor that envoys wear.

I'm doing the collection myself at the moment (just finished the second collection - the one with the infused hearts). I don't know if I'm right, but especially the second collection made me think that it is about guiding Saul d'Alessio to his afterlife, thinking about his life and reconsidering him as a person.Considering the prominence of wing 4 in this collection and the final heart and what you need to do for it, makes me think this might be a somewhat logical conclusion.When you think about it, you released him from his pain and helped him rest in peace. From that perspective you are the envoy that guided him to his afterlife.

I kind of like the idea :)

The majority of legendary gear, sadly, lacks lore. This lack of lore actually gets explained in the sixth raid wing - Mythwright Gambit - where there's side lore establishing all legendary gear as something Zomorros invents, either originally his or inspired by actual ancient weapons. They're made special compared to other gear because of the Mythwright Cauldron.

So the lore of the Envoy Armor is likely "Zomorros creation inspired by the Envoys of Cantha".

@Biermeister.4678 said:Shining Blade is the only one I know of that has lore to the original GW

I am unaware of any reference in GW1 of a Shining Blade sword that the eponymous rebels take their name from (or vice-versa, whichever the case may be), only the sword that was used in GW2 to kill Lazarus the Dire.

But we do know that the Claw of the Khan-Ur, or perhaps more accurately, replicas of the Claw that we use has a definitive lore background to it. And of course there's the Flameseeker Prophecies that takes it name from og GW1 Lore itself. That's all that comes to mind atm.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@Biermeister.4678 said:Shining Blade is the only one I know of that has lore to the original GW

I am unaware of any reference in GW1 of a Shining Blade sword that the eponymous rebels take their name from (or vice-versa, whichever the case may be), only the sword that was used in GW2 to kill Lazarus the Dire.

But we do know that the Claw of the Khan-Ur, or perhaps more accurately, replicas of the Claw that we use has a definitive lore background to it. And of course there's the Flameseeker Prophecies that takes it name from og GW1 Lore itself. That's all that comes to mind atm.

Bartholos' Shining Blade was a endgame item after the Battle of Lions Arch

@Biermeister.4678 said:

The two are actually unrelated (confirmed by Linsey Murdock). There's lore established for The Shining Blade in Season 3, which establishes it as being a weapon forged by the last living Seer and given to the Shining Blade after the events of War in Kryta. So it was never actually part of GW1, though it is tied (tentatively) to GW1 events. Though Bartholos' Shining Blade does have a similar design to the tier 1/2 precursors.

Claw of the Khan-Ur is similar, in that it was introduced to lore in 2007 in the lore articles released to build up Guild Wars 2 just after EotN's release, and canonically exists during GW1's events, but it isn't ever seen or mentioned in GW1.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The two are actually unrelated (confirmed by Linsey Murdock). There's lore established for The Shining Blade in Season 3, which establishes it as being a weapon forged by the last living Seer and given to the Shining Blade after the events of War in Kryta. So it was never actually part of GW1, though it is tied (tentatively) to GW1 events. Though Bartholos' Shining Blade does have a similar design to the tier 1/2 precursors.

Claw of the Khan-Ur is similar, in that it was introduced to lore in 2007 in the lore articles released to build up Guild Wars 2 just after EotN's release, and canonically exists during GW1's events, but it isn't ever seen or mentioned in GW1.

Hadn't meant to make it seem like I was stating that the Claw had GW1 lore to it, slight miss-wording on my part, was only stating that the Claw had lore to it in general.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:The majority of legendary gear, sadly, lacks lore. This lack of lore actually gets explained in the sixth raid wing - Mythwright Gambit - where there's side lore establishing all legendary gear as something Zomorros invents, either originally his or inspired by actual ancient weapons.Which makes no sense if you put it in context of something like HOPE.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Hadn't meant to make it seem like I was stating that the Claw had GW1 lore to it, slight miss-wording on my part, was only stating that the Claw had lore to it in general.

I'll be honest, I completely overlooked the bit of your post talking about the Claw. Or at least it wasn't in my mind while writing that response.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The majority of legendary gear, sadly, lacks lore. This lack of lore actually gets explained in the sixth raid wing - Mythwright Gambit - where there's side lore establishing
all legendary gear as something Zomorros invents
, either originally his or inspired by actual ancient weapons.Which makes no sense if you put it in context of something like HOPE.

I'd say it still does. You create (or find, in some gen1 cases) the precursor yourself, then you give it to Zomorros with some magical doodads and payment (such as Elonian Wine), Zomorros tosses them into the Mythwright Cauldron and out comes your legendary weapon.

I suppose "invents" was the wrong word to use - though some were certainly designed by Zomorros per some of the lore in the raid wing, but those with collections could be considered that Zomorros was freelanced to improve the precursors into a better form.