Getting the Skyscale with multiple characters?

The wiki says: "After it has been started it may be completed by any character on the account." I'm using a different character than the one i started the quest with...but I can't use the Skyscale mounts with the second character. I started this quest quite a long time ago...anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Access to the rental skyscales on Dragonfall and the collection to get your own permanent skyscale are two seperate things.

Once you've started the collection you can complete steps required for the achievements on any character on your account, so for example you could keep 1 on each season 4 map gathering the currencies and then buy the saddle components on that character when you have enough, or if you've got a character parked at the end of a jumping puzzle you could get credit without having to repeat it on the one who started the collection.

But access to the rental skyscales is seperate to the collection and unlocked by reaching the story step Glory of Dragons, so they're only available to characters who have reached that point in the story.