Fractals: That Jellyfish Beast — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Fractals/Dungeons/Strike Missions/Raids

Fractals: That Jellyfish Beast

I know this is a minor gripe, but I really dislike the Aquatic Ruins Fractal. Specifically the boss fight. I know that you're supposed to lure the boss into the electrified cages, but this mechanic just doesn't work. It takes too long to pull the boss to any of the cages to make this strategy worthwhile, and usually by the time the boss gets there, the cage is no longer electrified and another is on the other side of the arena. So every group that does this fractal just uses DPS on the boss and ignores the electrified cage mechanic entirely.

Two minor changes could easily fix this. First of all, don't cycle the cage until the boss has hit one. Just keep the same cage electrified, and only after luring the boss into it, should a different cage activate. Secondly, make the boss chase a player more actively, and put an aggro marker on the player so we know who it is chasing. This would also make the boss a little more of a challenge. Right now it just spins a lot in place, not doing much of anything.

Optionally, the boss could even have a new phase where luring it into the electrified cages, is required to make it vulnerable. But this is provided that the cage mechanics overall are improved first.

Comments

  • Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020

    The Jellyfish is now stationary after the changes in Aquatic Fractal. The boss will occasionally eat a player nearby in which affected player need to use Struggle to break free. The boss will be vulnerable(debuff) if successful, taking extra damage for a period. Do take note the boss can and will also eat nearby pets/minions instead of a player, not sure if its intended thus lose out a chance to inflict it with "vulnerable debuff".

  • I have honestly no idea if the boss is meant to remain stationary now. But if it is intentional, there's not much to this fight. Just a long drawn out dps fest. I wish the fight was a bit better. Not a whole lot, but just a bit more to make it not boring. The Fractal itself is annoying enough as it is.

  • Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It's still the same HP sponge boss for many, hardly any group moves the boss before the change. Just with the new changes, players need to kill 1-2-3 channeling kraits at 75%, 50%, 25% respectively. Inflicting "Vulnerable debuff" does speed things up. Pros and cons for having pets/minnions up during the encounter.

  • Jables.4659Jables.4659 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

    @Eramonster.2718 said:
    It's still the same HP sponge boss for many, hardly any group moves the boss before the change. Just with the new changes, players need to kill 1-2-3 channeling kraits at 75%, 50%, 25% respectively. Inflicting "Vulnerable debuff" does speed things up. Pros and cons for having pets/minnions up during the encounter.

    The other big difference is that it no longer has a breakbar which means you don't get the additional dps against a cc'd boss.

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

    The cage mechanic was not a thing for this fractal ever since the rework of the underwater skills years back. The amount of area damage available now simply made it unnecessary.

    The "recent" rework completely removed the cage mechanic by making:
    A.) the boss stationary
    B.) introducing fixed enemy spawn points every 25% boss life

    The main issue with this fight today, which is exasperated by specific instabilities like boon overload, afflicted, No pain No gain, etc., is the reliance on providing boons to group while at the same time often requiring massive amounts of boon removal from enemies. Both of which are not available to many classes. For example, while the Firebrigade composition can easily apply boons underwater and deal with enemy boons, the other alacrity+quickness+might+fury support comp of druid+chrono can not, in part because chrono wells do not work underwater.

    Overall the rework made this fractal more annoying, more tedious, less balanced for all class compositions and overall just less fun. The only upside to this fractal is the fact that it is rather rare as T4 daily fractal and recommended (it shows up 1nce in the 15 day rotation for either, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists).

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Main thing I hate is that it "transforms" you.. which is basically instant kill for any minions you have out..

    Made soloing it a pain in the rear.. still won.. but definitely wouldn't do it again.

  • Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

    Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.
    However, I have to agree that this boss is more annoying after the rework, but the annoying part is the phases that occur every 25%. I've never struggled against this boss other than just being a health sponge. but I guess a lot of people doesnt care about underwater and don't prepare gear for it and thats why this fractal is so loathed., not everyone ends with 10k dps or above because they all wear masterwork underwater gear lol. which spirals undefinitely into more and more people disliking this kind of content.

    I lowkey expect next expansion will feature more underwater content so people gets more accostumed to it, the meta nowadays consists of rotations and playstyles on land to the point forcing people to play somewhere outside that comfort zone causes them to be unnecessarily annoyed.

    Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

  • Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jables.4659 said:

    @Eramonster.2718 said:
    It's still the same HP sponge boss for many, hardly any group moves the boss before the change. Just with the new changes, players need to kill 1-2-3 channeling kraits at 75%, 50%, 25% respectively. Inflicting "Vulnerable debuff" does speed things up. Pros and cons for having pets/minnions up during the encounter.

    The other big difference is that it no longer has a breakbar which means you don't get the additional dps against a cc'd boss.

    It has a new vulnerable phased after a player breaks free with Struggle. Vaguely remembered it with a break bar, but doubt it will a big difference in DPS with how underwater combat work. Effecting boons, traits, weapon skill and damage and with most underwater weapon swapping doesn't synergize (Weapon 1 lean more on power, while weapon swap 2 favours condi).

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The changes made the fight last longer and introduced the possibility of failure, as before it took some effort to wipe. If you're able to keep cleanses and boon strips up though, it is just paint by the numbers.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

    @Wolfb.7025 said:
    Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.

    The other day I was in WvW on my scrapper and had to dive underwater, and I noticed my utilities were all wrong. The reason was because my aquatic build/utilities had remained unchanged since before the patch in April 2019, when Gyros were made available for use underwater.

    ANET has come far, but there are still plenty of utilities that just do not work underwater, to say nothing of how they handle ground targeted AoEs like wells.

    People don't hate underwater combat for no reason - they hate it because it came out half-baked, and even in 2020, some of the dough is still RAW! (sorry, been watching Hell's Kitchen during the lockdown)

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Awe I remember when I used to like this fractal because it was fast and easy to solo :-(

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @Wolfb.7025 said:
    Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.

    People don't hate underwater combat for no reason - they hate it because it came out half-baked, and even in 2020, some of the dough is still RAW! (sorry, been watching Hell's Kitchen during the lockdown)

    From someone that played MHTri, another game featuring underwater combat that came 3-4 years before, I can say GW2 underwater combat is not half-bad as people paint it to be. People hate it because its not the same freedom and speed as the combat on land, and its very understandable, but when it comes to how it was implemented, its good enough.

    Again, lowkey want anet to make underwater content for the next expansion and they starting trying to exploit the potential of it. although I very much know its gonna end up in a forum-rant disaster from 4/5 the playerbase.

    Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

  • knite.1542knite.1542 Member ✭✭✭

    @Wolfb.7025 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @Wolfb.7025 said:
    Its sad how a lot of people hate underwater combat, I think its really cool and this was super well implemented for a mmorpg.

    People don't hate underwater combat for no reason - they hate it because it came out half-baked, and even in 2020, some of the dough is still RAW! (sorry, been watching Hell's Kitchen during the lockdown)

    From someone that played MHTri, another game featuring underwater combat that came 3-4 years before, I can say GW2 underwater combat is not half-bad as people paint it to be. People hate it because its not the same freedom and speed as the combat on land, and its very understandable, but when it comes to how it was implemented, its good enough.

    I hate it because tons of skills don't work underwater and a bunch of the weapon skills have little to no synergy with the classes/specs they are on. You can compare it to as many different games as you want but none of that matters. In the context of gw2 combat, underwater combat is trash.

    If your team wins it's because of everyone else. If your team loses, blame the thief.
    ranger is OP but holo is more OP so its fine
    Why do this matter at all, you have people asking you why play so bad as fractal god?
    If they would pull that kitten on me, i would sue instantly. And i have enough time and money to finish that.
    Balance? More like a bunch of random nerfs done by interns.

  • Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arcaniaxs.4519 said:
    WE all really hate aquatic fractal

    well... i actually like how it is there.
    It could do a bit more damage, but overall its fun

  • Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This fractal didn't need to be reworked to take longer. People already didn't like doing it and skipped it, why make it even less liked?

  • Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Shiyo.3578 said:
    This fractal didn't need to be reworked to take longer. People already didn't like doing it and skipped it, why make it even less liked?

    Because it was farmed for 70g+ per h and this is only allowed for brainless open world stuff. Did people really skip it? took like 3min to complete.

  • My only problem with this Fractal is when it has the Afflicted instability, when the boss goes invincible he constantly pump a huge AoE damage in the entire arena, and this damage procs Afflicted, so you get bombarded with tons of condi and no ammount of cleanse will save you from it (especially in pugs), very annoying.

    They could remove this instability from this Fractal or fix it so the AoE doesn't proc it.

    Tough i dunno if this has already been fixed or anything, been a month already i stopped doing Fractals.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:
    My only problem with this Fractal is when it has the Afflicted instability, when the boss goes invincible he constantly pump a huge AoE damage in the entire arena, and this damage procs Afflicted, so you get bombarded with tons of condi and no ammount of cleanse will save you from it (especially in pugs), very annoying.

    They could remove this instability from this Fractal or fix it so the AoE doesn't proc it.

    Tough i dunno if this has already been fixed or anything, been a month already i stopped doing Fractals.

    No the other day it had Afflicted, but you just make the most of it. If you have an Alacrigade they can pump out resistance. I was on my Reaper and I just swapped in Spiteful Renewal, Well of Power, and I run Signet of Undeath to stay in Shroud longer at 50% DR. I've completed it with Afflicted and NPNG up, which is even more problematic since I lose the boon strip/corrupt from my weapons.

    Stack tight, let your Healbrand sustain you, everyone else make sure to swap traits or utilities for added self sustain, and you win. The only real DPS check is the third invul phase when you have to kill 3 krait channelers - if you take too long on that phase, those conditions will do you in.

  • This fractal seems to suffer from the following chain of events :
    1) Nobody cares about underwater combat since there's no content for it and the design isn't that great to say the least.
    2) People thus do not gear for underwater combat nor learn to play it, and end up either basically mashing all of the buttons or the buttons that seem to do the most damage blindly
    3) 'Difficulty' due to not being prepared to underwater combat in addition of the fractal mechanics being pretty much uninteresting causes people to hate the few content even more, thus increasing 1), etc.

    Fixing this probably requires complete overhaul of underwater combat and cie, so it most probably won't come any time soon. If you are not running T4s with a pretty solid/confident group (Preferably you do CMs before), I'd just recommand skipping this fractal altogether.

  • Zhaid Zhem.6508Zhaid Zhem.6508 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2020

    Also because 90% of underwater weapons skills are underwhelming or clumsy. Even after the 2019 patch, even with ascended weapons and aquatic helmet.
    Only things that work fine underwater are condi FB, chrono.

  • @Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:
    Also because 90% of underwater weapons skills are underwhelming or clumsy. Even after the 2019 patch, even with ascended weapons and aquatic helmet.
    Only things that work fine underwater are condi FB, chrono.

    My necro works perfectly underwater as well

  • Altion.9576Altion.9576 Member ✭✭✭

    I hate it because as a Hb is a nightmare to heal in a 3D space.

  • Strider.7849Strider.7849 Member ✭✭✭

    @Altion.9576 said:
    I hate it because as a Hb is a nightmare to heal in a 3D space.

    Firebrand is great for this if played correctly. I did this on HB yesterday on T4 fractals yesterday. You primarily use trident. All the skills on land with books are the same as underwater.. literally don't have to change anything - you just get a mainhand weapon that gives AoE heals on auto/skill 2, have a CC and more importantly a short cooldown AoE projectile destroyer.

    I run virtues/honor/firebrand not the valor/honor version. Virtues: down/mid/mid. Also you don't need full Harriers. You can upkeep 100% quickness with the 82.37% boon duration breakpoint (I think that's the point if I remember correctly - at work now so I can't check my gear) then pump the rest into heals. I managed to get somewhere around 1600healing power or something like that, while upkeeping all necessary boons - this allows me to switch builds for maximum healing when needed or maximum DPS with lowered heals on easier encounters. What this allowed my guardian to do is literally 1 shot with F2 tome people to full health and the periodic heals from virtues, symbols, Regen, keep them near permanently topped off. The fractal with the robot cats for example, you don't even need to play with the fan, you can just DPS and outheal all incoming damage including the poison gas.

  • Altion.9576Altion.9576 Member ✭✭✭

    @Strider.7849 said:

    @Altion.9576 said:
    I hate it because as a Hb is a nightmare to heal in a 3D space.

    Firebrand is great for this if played correctly. I did this on HB yesterday on T4 fractals yesterday. You primarily use trident. All the skills on land with books are the same as underwater.. literally don't have to change anything - you just get a mainhand weapon that gives AoE heals on auto/skill 2, have a CC and more importantly a short cooldown AoE projectile destroyer.

    I run virtues/honor/firebrand not the valor/honor version. Virtues: down/mid/mid. Also you don't need full Harriers. You can upkeep 100% quickness with the 82.37% boon duration breakpoint (I think that's the point if I remember correctly - at work now so I can't check my gear) then pump the rest into heals. I managed to get somewhere around 1600healing power or something like that, while upkeeping all necessary boons - this allows me to switch builds for maximum healing when needed or maximum DPS with lowered heals on easier encounters. What this allowed my guardian to do is literally 1 shot with F2 tome people to full health and the periodic heals from virtues, symbols, Regen, keep them near permanently topped off. The fractal with the robot cats for example, you don't even need to play with the fan, you can just DPS and outheal all incoming damage including the poison gas.

    Im adding you so we can discuss builds :)

  • Zhaid Zhem.6508Zhaid Zhem.6508 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020

    You can also run condi FB and you spam the AA of trident, you'll be surprised :+1:

    Heal fb, you have many possibilities ;
    You can play with pure of voice + "retreat" rather than W o P (and not "kitten") if no one stand in your awkward symbols or near your mantras
    Virtues + Battle presence + renewed focus, you spam F2 F3 to heal people
    Even Zeal + Eternal Armory and you spam the bow of truth.
    Etc. Actually I don't think there is "better healer" than FB for this fractal*.