Potential Additional Pet Families?

Taril.8619

So, while pets have other, more pressing issues (Namely, that they suck. That they're imbalanced to a point where only a fraction of them are even worth using and are further segregated because of the stats they offer to Soulbeasts) it crossed my mind that there are a number of creatures that cannot currently be pets that seem like they could work.

Things like:

• Bats
  • Plated Behemoths (Not sure exactly what family they belong to though)
  • Oozes (Maybe? They're weird but maybe they are still impressionable enough to be tamable in their early life?)
  • Cave Beasts
  • Crabs
  • Griffons (They are hunted by Norn and a favoured pet of Ogres. Would make some sense for us to tame some ourselves. Can even include the sub-species of Colocal to provide a different skill set within the family due to its inability to fly)
  • Raptors (Another pet favoured by Ogres. Could be funny if your "Pet" was possible to be a group of several Pocket Raptors!)
  • Skales/Skelks (Domesticated by that group in one of the Ascalon zones)
  • Vampire Beasts
  • Wind Riders
  • Wurms (In before "But muh Norn Racial!" but given that racials aren't relevant in the game, at least let my Norn Ranger tame a Wurm!)

Some of these seem like they could be interesting pets in of themselves, if not offering something cool for Soulbeast builds (Shadowsteps from Skales/Skelks? iframes from Oozes? Ranged knockdown from Wurms?)

I am looking at it differently. We are missing a specific kind of pet attack. There are no ranged dps (non conditions) pet attacks in the ferocious class. Devourer and Cave spiders are both ranged but condi attacks. I would just like to see either one of those changed or a new pet added to this class with a pure dps attack.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:I am looking at it differently. We are missing a specific kind of pet attack. There are no ranged dps (non conditions) pet attacks in the ferocious class. Devourer and Cave spiders are both ranged but condi attacks. I would just like to see either one of those changed or a new pet added to this class with a pure dps attack.

Cave Spider doesn't do conditions on its auto attacks, on its immobilize and deals Vulnerability and Weaken with its Venom. Of course, it's Poison Gas does Poison, but its main attacks don't.

Bristleback also does primarily non-Condition damage. With its auto attack and F2 not having any conditions and its Rain of Spikes skill dealing mostly non-Condition damage.

Now, if your concern is a ranged DPS pet that when merged with Soulbeast offers Ranged non-Condition skills, then yes, we're missing that. But I think that's largely due to the melee focus of Soulbeast (Such as the F3 abilities all being melee focused) the closest we have is Jacaranda which has a ranged attack, but is a support pet meaning it provides an AoE heal as its F3.

• 2 weeks later...

It is really surprising that we don't have raptors or griffins. Both are pretty unique in Tyria and many rangers would love more fantastical beast options.

Given we're going to Cantha phoenixes seem like almost a given. It was one of the three rare pets with its own statue in the Hall of Monuments and a very popular ranger pet in Guild Wars.