For the love of the six, stop with the flashing effects — Guild Wars 2 Forums

For the love of the six, stop with the flashing effects

I've suggested repeatedly as have others to please limit the effects of flashing or strobing lights in this game. It's a migraine trigger for me and an epilepsy trigger for others.

Well, in the PoF instance in Glint's lair, the final phase of the Facet is nothing but constant flashing effects. I got so confused and sick that I just stayed in the center and brute forced the thing instead of trying to grab the shield to break it's CC bar. Thanks for allowing a safe spot to auto attack and wait it out but my gosh, why? You could have just as easily created that minefield without flashing lights. It's nice none of your developers have vision or neuro issues but it stinks for those that do.

Then, I was on a bounty hunt in the highlands and there was a bounty that did NOTHING but constantly flash lights. It was so bad, I had to not look at the screen and randomly press buttons hoping I was hitting it. Again, why? Another effect that could have easily been done without blinding, flashing lights. Others who are not disabled even complained, the flashing was slowing down their game and hurting their eyes.

Since Hearts and Minds, this seems to be a big thing with Anet - strobing lights, blinding lights, moving filters you can't see around, etc. with no option to disable or minimize. Please, stop. There are better ways to do these effects and artificial difficulty without constantly painful flashing or nausea inflicting filters. It's not fun. It's not revolutionary.

If there's no plans to stop, can we at least get an option to disable? No amount of Git Gud is going to fix a neurological issue.

<134

Comments

  • Every day when I do Arkk CM I feel like I have to lower my entire screen's brightness.
    Same thing with large bounty groups, it hurts my eyes so much.

  • Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    There are still bosses in the game which I have fought many times, and cannot tell you what they look like. I have to laugh whenever an ANet rep responds to a question about better UI with something like, "One of the design goals for GW2 was to have the players watch what's going on on the screen, not watch the UI." If you want us to watch what's going on, how about letting us see it when there's more than 2 players attacking something.

    Please... The effects in this game are quite mild. Have you tried D3?

  • @TheGrimm.5624 said:
    The amount of screen noise in game is huge. A few years ago it was starting to be tackled but that got stomped on as people complained about the lack of shinny. The best solution would be to allow players to choose what effect they see either their own, their group, their squad, friendlies and all and such so that players can adjust as needed. But that is a regular complaint in voice, "I couldn't see it with all that's going on. What rings? What's the tell? Where is the target? What adds?". A single animation is awesome, a group of them is just a mess.

    Actually, it was stomped on because Anet nerfed the wrong noise. Gotta love those elemental egg-shell shields, right? >.> And they still haven't reverted the magic shields; apparently, it must be that nasty visual noise! It couldn't be all the other, larger, brighter, flasher effects! Nope! [/sarcasm] Ever since the NPE, I feel like the devs are listening and reading less and less or have a listening/reading comprehension issue.

    I, personally, haven't seen a ton of screen noise unless I'm fighting Maw ("Does anyone know what this boss looks like?"), but then again, I have a potato computer, so I tend not to see the spectacular effects. The screenshot I quoted shocked me... hence the four "..." in that post.

    The Assassin of Rata Sum
    Proud Member of Wards of the Mists [WARD]

  • Arzurag.7506Arzurag.7506 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

    @Feanor.2358 said:

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    There are still bosses in the game which I have fought many times, and cannot tell you what they look like. I have to laugh whenever an ANet rep responds to a question about better UI with something like, "One of the design goals for GW2 was to have the players watch what's going on on the screen, not watch the UI." If you want us to watch what's going on, how about letting us see it when there's more than 2 players attacking something.

    Please... The effects in this game are quite mild. Have you tried D3?

    If that's Diablo 3, no I have not. Other than GW2 I've only tried Guild Wars, Tabula Rasa, Last Chaos, WoW, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Rappelz, ToR, AoC, TSW, ESO, RoM, Tera, Rift, NWO, LotRO, Skyforge. Aion, CoX and Wildstar. While GW2 is superior to a lot of those games in one way or another, I never had trouble seeing a boss in any of them.

    The effects in GW2 may seem mild to you. That may be due to your being exposed to games where they are more intense. Maybe the difference in perspective is due to differences in visual acuity and light-change tolerance among people. I've seen pieces of a lot of GW2 bosses. I've seen an arm here, a leg there. The bigger the model, the more of it I may have seen.

    @ Yuyuske:

    In Options, on the first tab there is a check box for Show Player Names. Having that unchecked helps a bit with the visual clutter.

    In diablo it´s kind of a mess, even more than it is in gw2.
    In high rifts you better have sunglasses on, otherwise you´ll not be able to see what´s really going on , on the screen.
    For example, spinning lasers that can kill you in a few seconds, some enemies leave a explosive bomb upon death that looks like a small vulcano and much more.

    "I´m not big on sermons, Broken bones teach better lessons."

  • @Aerlen.5326 said:
    I've suggested repeatedly as have others to please limit the effects of flashing or strobing lights in this game. It's a migraine trigger for me and an epilepsy trigger for others.

    Well, in the PoF instance in Glint's lair, the final phase of the Facet is nothing but constant flashing effects. I got so confused and sick that I just stayed in the center and brute forced the thing instead of trying to grab the shield to break it's CC bar. Thanks for allowing a safe spot to auto attack and wait it out but my gosh, why? You could have just as easily created that minefield without flashing lights. It's nice none of your developers have vision or neuro issues but it stinks for those that do.

    Then, I was on a bounty hunt in the highlands and there was a bounty that did NOTHING but constantly flash lights. It was so bad, I had to not look at the screen and randomly press buttons hoping I was hitting it. Again, why? Another effect that could have easily been done without blinding, flashing lights. Others who are not disabled even complained, the flashing was slowing down their game and hurting their eyes.

    Since Hearts and Minds, this seems to be a big thing with Anet - strobing lights, blinding lights, moving filters you can't see around, etc. with no option to disable or minimize. Please, stop. There are better ways to do these effects and artificial difficulty without constantly painful flashing or nausea inflicting filters. It's not fun. It's not revolutionary.

    If there's no plans to stop, can we at least get an option to disable? No amount of Git Gud is going to fix a neurological issue.

    There are only 5 true Gods you heretic.

    I bet you also support peace with the Charr.

  • Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

    @Feanor.2358 said:

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    There are still bosses in the game which I have fought many times, and cannot tell you what they look like. I have to laugh whenever an ANet rep responds to a question about better UI with something like, "One of the design goals for GW2 was to have the players watch what's going on on the screen, not watch the UI." If you want us to watch what's going on, how about letting us see it when there's more than 2 players attacking something.

    Please... The effects in this game are quite mild. Have you tried D3?

    If that's Diablo 3, no I have not. Other than GW2 I've only tried Guild Wars, Tabula Rasa, Last Chaos, WoW, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Rappelz, ToR, AoC, TSW, ESO, RoM, Tera, Rift, NWO, LotRO, Skyforge. Aion, CoX and Wildstar. While GW2 is superior to a lot of those games in one way or another, I never had trouble seeing a boss in any of them.

    The effects in GW2 may seem mild to you. That may be due to your being exposed to games where they are more intense. Maybe the difference in perspective is due to differences in visual acuity and light-change tolerance among people. I've seen pieces of a lot of GW2 bosses. I've seen an arm here, a leg there. The bigger the model, the more of it I may have seen.

    Actually the differences come from the possibility to have a lot larger number of players using skills and contributing to the visual clutter on a single scene. In D3 (yes, it's Diablo) and many of the games you quoted they are limited to a much smaller number. Hence they generally have much more visually impressive skills. Just compare Meteor Shower in GW2 and in D3.

    I get what's your point, but there are limits to which you can tone down the visual effects of the skills without making them seem... lame. You have to take into account the experience of a lone player playing solo as well as the full zerg blasting world bosses.

  • @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

    @Feanor.2358 said:

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    There are still bosses in the game which I have fought many times, and cannot tell you what they look like. I have to laugh whenever an ANet rep responds to a question about better UI with something like, "One of the design goals for GW2 was to have the players watch what's going on on the screen, not watch the UI." If you want us to watch what's going on, how about letting us see it when there's more than 2 players attacking something.

    Please... The effects in this game are quite mild. Have you tried D3?

    If that's Diablo 3, no I have not. Other than GW2 I've only tried Guild Wars, Tabula Rasa, Last Chaos, WoW, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Rappelz, ToR, AoC, TSW, ESO, RoM, Tera, Rift, NWO, LotRO, Skyforge. Aion, CoX and Wildstar. While GW2 is superior to a lot of those games in one way or another, I never had trouble seeing a boss in any of them.

    The effects in GW2 may seem mild to you. That may be due to your being exposed to games where they are more intense. Maybe the difference in perspective is due to differences in visual acuity and light-change tolerance among people. I've seen pieces of a lot of GW2 bosses. I've seen an arm here, a leg there. The bigger the model, the more of it I may have seen.

    @ Yuyuske:

    In Options, on the first tab there is a check box for Show Player Names. Having that unchecked helps a bit with the visual clutter.

    Tabula Rasa
    Confirmed geezer.

    Oh man I just got nostalgic.

  • Tongku.5326Tongku.5326 Member ✭✭
    edited October 18, 2017

    @Aerlen.5326 said:
    I've suggested repeatedly as have others to please limit the effects of flashing or strobing lights in this game. It's a migraine trigger for me and an epilepsy trigger for others.

    Well, in the PoF instance in Glint's lair, the final phase of the Facet is nothing but constant flashing effects. I got so confused and sick that I just stayed in the center and brute forced the thing instead of trying to grab the shield to break it's CC bar. Thanks for allowing a safe spot to auto attack and wait it out but my gosh, why? You could have just as easily created that minefield without flashing lights. It's nice none of your developers have vision or neuro issues but it stinks for those that do.

    Then, I was on a bounty hunt in the highlands and there was a bounty that did NOTHING but constantly flash lights. It was so bad, I had to not look at the screen and randomly press buttons hoping I was hitting it. Again, why? Another effect that could have easily been done without blinding, flashing lights. Others who are not disabled even complained, the flashing was slowing down their game and hurting their eyes.

    Since Hearts and Minds, this seems to be a big thing with Anet - strobing lights, blinding lights, moving filters you can't see around, etc. with no option to disable or minimize. Please, stop. There are better ways to do these effects and artificial difficulty without constantly painful flashing or nausea inflicting filters. It's not fun. It's not revolutionary.

    If there's no plans to stop, can we at least get an option to disable? No amount of Git Gud is going to fix a neurological issue.

    A lot of these lights are due to excessive particles, there was something in the game options that used to limit how much particle effects you get, but now I can't find it again. Though I don't get migranes or seizures from it, I do wish I could go easier on these as I tend to play long sessions over the weekends and it definetly contributes to eye strain in general even for those of us that do not have the extra problems with flashing lights.

    So if someone could point us to those options that lower the particle amounts, this can help the situation.

  • *love of the five

  • Pixlboy.5296Pixlboy.5296 Member ✭✭✭

    I also agree with OP.
    I don’t understand the decision behind making hit effects resize with enemy, sometimes it’s just ridiculous.
    Anyone have seen Flock/Bird effect on big enemies like e.g. stoneheads?
    Gigantic birds attack, Hitchcock would be proud :p

    ♫♪ Who lives in a pineapple under the sea ♪♫
    ♪♫ "Selbbub Squarepants" ♫♪

  • Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭

    @AriaSilverfyre.8702 said:
    In graphics options (F11), there is a setting for Postprocessing effects. Changing that to low or none will reduce some of the flashing and other effects. It's not perfect, but might help some?

    It doesn't help anywhere near enough. And I could be remembering wrong but it seems to have gotten worse since HOT.

  • Zenith.7301Zenith.7301 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Parlance.9584 said:
    Every day when I do Arkk CM I feel like I have to lower my entire screen's brightness.
    Same thing with large bounty groups, it hurts my eyes so much.

    Arkk is a whole other matter since the enrage icon over his head can easily conceal the orbs he conjures above his head.

  • Cyprien.4208Cyprien.4208 Member ✭✭✭

    You should buy a good computer anet not going to change they added more and more over the years.

  • Lunarlife.5128Lunarlife.5128 Member ✭✭✭

    Agreed. Also isn't it for the love of the five 😋

  • zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Of the 5. For the love of the 5.

  • Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't see this, so I must have something checked/unchecked in my settings somewhere. I'll try to find out.

  • Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

    For WvW purposes I have the "Effect LOD" box checked. Maybe this "cleans" it up? Not sure, but I know my screen never looks that "cluttered" in big fights.

  • Color.8974Color.8974 Member
    edited January 21, 2018

    @Sylent.3165 said:
    This is one reason I think I like Eso so much more. Anything at all coming from anet is a massive massive flashy mess I hate because I can't see anything at all.

    Ff14 also were incredible for there options with effects such as turn off others, decrease others. And also could change it for party members only.

    I don't understand why on earth they haven't fixed this yet. Yes people like flashy effects most of the time sure, but I don't want to see others effects I want to actually see what I'm attacking. Not only would it make the game not only more enjoyable and look nicer it would eliminate an insane amount of lag that anet must also think we enjoy

    The same reason why my brother cannot play GW2. A option or slider would be really cool. Especially after the work on evening I can not look into such flashing lights. What I try to say is that I really like the beauty and diversity of the world but the flashing of the abilities/skills/weapons is too much. Also a option(slider, checkbox,..) to lower the color saturation would be nice.

  • +1 to the subject of this discussion.

  • lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Star.4386 said:
    +1 to the subject of this discussion.

    +1 to Necromancy
    I'd also like to have more filters to tune down/optimize the strobes, flashes, colors and shapes on screen.
    To keep the game playable a balance must be made between telegraphs, like the AoE circles of attacks and symbols to distinguish different attacks, on the one hand and visibility on the other.

    If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

  • @Tongku.5326 said:

    So if someone could point us to those options that lower the particle amounts, this can help the situation.

    Effect LOD, check the box.

  • SatdeNecro.2395SatdeNecro.2395 Member ✭✭
    edited June 21, 2018

    I sometimes get headaches and nasty migraines and the amount of "stuff" going on is overwhelming and not in good way. I love the game, but would be nice to lower spell effects and such.

    So far from what I read the only options are
    -Effect LOD: turned on (checked)
    -Post processing: Low or None
    -Animation: Low
    -Lower motion blur bar all way down
    Also is there options for making combat related text smaller or turning it off?
    I hate to say this but running the game lower graphics might be the only other option?
    I wonder if messing with your actual GPU settings for the game would make a difference? Like in Nvidia control you can change things in more detail but I don't know how that all works or if it would make much difference.

<134
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.