Very cool idea for Fishing discipline In Cantha!

Dear ArenaNet,

Today, an idea struck me. I believe it is a great one. Let's rethink the idea of Fishing discipline again since the game has changed so much since Vanilla.You can actually earn a lot of money with this! (now you pay attention hopefully =) )

Fishing up to level 500.Fishable areas: rivers, lakes, ponds, seas

Gem store items:

• fishing rod skins,
  • fisher's outfit skins (Krytan Fisher, Elonian Fisher, Canthan Fisher, etc),
  • fishing boosters,
  • mount skins!
  • fishing baits with special effects (like with gem store harvesting tools)
  • Teleport to VIP fishing pond (like Airship area with crafting, bank and TP)Some skins and boosters also obtainable through related fishing Achievements or random drop

Mount idea: underwater mount Seahorse, shark, whale, dolphinBasic skins available through Mastery system, advanced skins all from Gem Store

Fishing baits: craftable items used as consumable to increase a chance of finding a specific type of fishAlso can be acquired from gem store (such baits can for example produce some cool effects plus work the same way as the basic ones)

The usage for caught Fish:

• used in cooking (finally) - Canthan themed recipes for food, other regions can be added in a later update to lower the amount of work needed to be done for Canthan expansion
  • Fish used in Guild Halls and Home Instances - Fish tanks!
  • Fish used in Gear crafting: new underwater weapons, breathers, armor, trinkets, backpack
  • Fish can be collectible like minis and can be displayed in Home Instance and Achievement Panel

Fun Activities:

• Fishing tournaments: available in Canthan maps, like mount races
  • underwater mount races sound good too!

The fishing process: something simple to do, but harder to master... it doesn't need to be overly complicated, should be easy for every types of players.Leveling Fishing up would allow you to catch better fish. But the leveling can be discarded completely...Mastery System can also be used for Fishing instead of leveling as a discipline

Please consider it.

Kind regards,AlisarDius

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Mortifer.2946" said:ignoring toxicity <3

No you didn’t. And there are already relevant threads, calling me toxic doesn’t stop them from existing or mean that you shouldn’t have posted there:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/95505/fishing-how-would-you-all-like-this-to-work/

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/102725/what-do-you-want-for-third-expansion/

Yes to underwater mount - This is the only major mount type left that is not ingame yet and is likely to be made eventually, maybe even before Cantha.

No to fishing - Many players, including myself, are just not interested in fishing in any form (see the many other threads on the topic) as it just seems very unnecessary as a system apart from roleplaying, which could easily be covered with an emote or single gemstore item.

mindcircus oh I see what you mean. Sorry, for me system of catching fish can be as simple as in Lineage 2 or WoW. I don't really care for the minigame. I care for the fun of collecting stuff and making my own fishtank, and riding a shark =) ...sorry if that doesn't interest you

Thehipone, I don't go to forums often. Were I supposed to look for other posts? Sorry again :D

You like to shut up people, don't you?

@Poormany.4507 said:Yes to underwater mount - This is the only major mount type left that is not ingame yet and is likely to be made eventually, maybe even before Cantha.

No to fishing - Many players, including myself, are just not interested in fishing in any form (see the many other threads on the topic) as it just seems very unnecessary as a system apart from roleplaying, which could easily be covered with an emote or single gemstore item.

Meh, so it is about the loud minority on forums then? If fishing wasn't popular, it wouldn't be put in so many games, ...like.. Animal Crossing which is selling like crazy

Before Anet considers monitising fishing, they need to think of a purpose and incentive. Food in Gw2 only provides minor buffs, and unless fish are BiS (on par, better or cheaper than what we have avalable), there's just no point. So you'd probably be doing it for the armour, which you'll probably have if you're bored enough with the game to afk and watch netflix.

@kharmin.7683 said:I don't think anyone is trying to shut anyone up. However, it is (in my opinion) polite forum protocol to use the search feature before posting a new thread to see if the topic has already been discussed.

... so we can report the thread for necro'ing when they post on it and shut up those silly fishers once and for all! That way Anet will never know that some players actually want this feature.

Brilliant.

I am all for fishing as I have said in the other threads. My concern remains how utterly convoluted and monetised Anet would somehow make it.

It works in Lotro because it is simple and isn't grindy. You cast, you wait, you reel in when you catch a bite. It's a hobby and the game treats it as one

@"Mortifer.2946" said:mindcircus oh I see what you mean. Sorry, for me system of catching fish can be as simple as in Lineage 2 or WoW. I don't really care for the minigame. I care for the fun of collecting stuff and making my own fishtank, and riding a shark =) ...sorry if that doesn't interest youAgain you haven't described the actual fishing itself. I have never fished in WoW and I have never played Lineage2.You've done a bang up job listing the monetization and rewards of the system but zero thought into making an entertaining and engaging piece of content that players find fun. Instead you have left the important part of the system to be hand waved off with a "just make it like WoW".

The bad news is that this kind of "money first, gameplay second" system isn't usually embraced by people who play video games.

The good news is there's probably a solid career waiting for you at Bethesda.

Why would you want fishing? Why? Its utterly boring and nonsensical.If you want to have some RP chill time put down a bonfire and have some rest, seriously.What do you want with fish anyway? Craft another 100 buff foods noone uses? Feed a quaggan? Taunt a kodan? What will the achievements look like? Get a fish of each map? Be fishing for onehundret hours in total? Craft a legendary fishing rod?

Why all the unnecessary stuff? Just make it simple fishing like in WoW or something.

Get a fishing pole, equip it, get a new skill to cast, click on the bobber, get a fish. Use fish in cooking. Different fish drop in different zones. Doesn't need to be anything more than that. Fishing is meant to be a relaxing thing to do, let's not over complicate it. Don't monetize it or make it a chore or use it for a new reward system or make it a whole new crafting discipline. Just make it a simple new feature added to the game.

Gives you something to do while you wait for that group, or waiting on friends, or just hanging out engaging in chat. Heck if you want, make the fish Ascended or something (but not Account/Soulbound) so Chefs have a new Ascended recipe to craft that doesn't require seed planting/harvesting. But let's leave fishing as a simple activity itself.

One of my favorite activities in Ultima Online was fishing. The Fishing Guild of Britannia (FCB) was active on most shards. We would hold guild activities like fishing night, all hanging out on one boat. There were net tosses, we collected nets off sea monsters and threw the nets to bring up more sea monsters. There was sunken treasure. It was relaxing but a lot of fun.

I would love to see fishing added into GW2.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:You get yelled at if you start a new one and would get yelled at for necroing a old one back to life so you just can't win. Unless it's the 20th on lag or the same topic is 5 threads down I really don't get why it upsets forum members eitherBecause, typically, a new post doesn't add anything new the topic which hasn't already been discussed in other threads.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:You get yelled at if you start a new one and would get yelled at for necroing a old one back to life so you just can't win. Unless it's the 20th on lag or the same topic is 5 threads down I really don't get why it upsets forum members eitherBecause, typically, a new post doesn't add anything new the topic which hasn't already been discussed in other threads.

Yeah 2 and 5 months ago tho. How long are you supposed to go back and why expect everyone on these forums to remember and never want to discuss a topic again? And I would argue this one added more ideas. I'd rather a new one then sift thru 50 comments of an old thread I missed for 1 new comment. Like I said if it's lag botting the mount licences that's been beat to death then yeah I can see that being annoying. There is a few about the new expansion. Does that mean as we inch closer these next 2 years no one ever on here can start a new thread about Cantha? Cause that would make no sense.

I did say "typically". ;)