Ideas for new Sigils

SeTect.5918

Hey, i just realized, that there are not lots of interesting sigils in PvE so i have some suggestions over here:

There could be a sigil that increases the Knockdown duration or hurling power and other ccs by 10-20%, because there is also a sigil that increases the damage to knocked enemys by 7%.A sigil that increases the critical damage by 8%.There could maybe be also some sigils like these:A sigil that increases the damage to vulnerabled enemys by 8%. (also a condition damage variant)A sigil that increases the damage to enemys with weakness by 8%. (also a condition damage variant)A sigil that increases the damage to enemys with boons by 7%. (also a condition damage variant)A sigil that increases the damage to enemys without boons by 7%. (also a condition damage variant)A sigil that increases condition damage by 10% for 6 seconds after hitting a foe critically (10 second cooldown)A sigil that increases the damage by 10% for 4 seconds after you daze or stun an enemy (6 seconds cooldown)A sigil that increases the damage and condition damage by 7% while you bleed or burn.A sigil that increase the powerbonus of might for 12 points each stack. (also a conditionbonus variant)

To be honest i dont have more ideas for sigils. Maybe i can edit some more later.What do you think? And thank you for reading! c:

@SeTect.5918 said:Hey, i just realized, that after you have all infusions and everything ascended, you have nothing else to do to increase the damage you are dealing or to increase the hp, i also found out, that there are not enough good sigils in my eyes, so i got some suggestions over here.

Alright, lets begin with the damage increases in PvE:

How about you begin with why we should get a damage increase in PVE in the first place.

There is a sigil that increases daze duration by 30%. 6% critdamage would be a very weak sigil.This game has already more than enouh powercreep. Would rather nerf all dmg/buff all hp instead of buffing dmg even further.What would you even do with new powercreep. You already kill raidbosses in minutes and have even <20sec phases on bosses like adina or gorseval.Siax record is like 20sec aswell.Increasing damage numbers without higher scaling in fractals/raids is pointless.

Your idea about the damage increase in PvE is really not in line with ArenaNet “philosophy”.

I feel like it is perfectly fine not having the possibility to further increase the potential damage output of our characters. Also, we can actually do a very high damage already.

Low difference of effectiveness between different rarities, and being able to reach a very good potential damage in a short time, helps player inclusion and helps player with only few time to be accepted everywhere. It allows player to take a long break from the game knowing that they can return and be effective about “like everyone else”.

Anyway, you can still increase your damage, by practicing :)

You could have to find a sense of progression more in line with the world of Guild Wars 2.

I would appreciate “more interesting” sigils and runes anyway.

@Nephalem.8921 said:There is a sigil that increases daze duration by 30%. 6% critdamage would be a very weak sigil.This game has already more than enouh powercreep. Would rather nerf all dmg/buff all hp instead of buffing dmg even further.What would you even do with new powercreep. You already kill raidbosses in minutes and have even <20sec phases on bosses like adina or gorseval.Siax record is like 20sec aswell.Increasing damage numbers without higher scaling in fractals/raids is pointless.

theres no sigil with 30% daze increase, just a 30% stun increase and a 30% daze increase on a rune, but u will lose damage if u use it.and the power is a thing about the class, if u look at engineer, they dont even have skills in their build that increase power. Also some other classes have no good damage. But for example, for warrior or reaper its true, it would be terrible to give them even more damage

@SeTect.5918

Your suggestion implies level-progression like other MMO games but there are ways to improve damage that Arenanet already has mechanics for:

1. Consumables
  2. Combinations
  3. Essence manipulation like in season 4
  4. Enemy defenses like toughness
  5. Ground-bases buffs like green circles
  6. Break Bars

Note that each of these damage improvement methods are temporary. Arenanet prefers to reward people for playing in the present tense. A lot of reward and dps improvements reset when not actively being worked.

@Black Storm.6974 said:Your idea about the damage increase in PvE would be really against ArenaNet “philosophy”. It is really not how the game is designed to be.

I feel like it is perfectly fine not having the possibility to further increase the potential damage output of our characters. Also, we can actually do a very high damage already.

Low difference of effectiveness between different rarities, and being able to reach a very good potential damage in a short time, helps player inclusion and helps player with only few time to be accepted everywhere. It allows player to take a long break from the game knowing that they can return and be effective about “like everyone else”.

I would appreciate more “interesting” sigils and runes anyway.

i think when a player return after a time, he will be happy to see something newAs some classes u still deal no damage after practicing, but as i said before, for some classes a damage increase would be not good yea

@Anchoku.8142 said:@SeTect.5918

Your suggestion implies level-progression like other MMO games but there are ways to improve damage that Arenanet already has mechanics for:

1. Consumables
  2. Combinations
  3. Essence manipulation like in season 4
  4. Enemy defenses like toughness
  5. Ground-bases buffs like green circles
  6. Break Bars

Note that each of these damage improvement methods are temporary. Arenanet prefers to reward people for playing in the present tense. A lot of reward and dps improvements reset when not actively being worked.

Well yea thats exactly what i mean, these are all temporary...

@SeTect.5918 said:

@Black Storm.6974 said:Your idea about the damage increase in PvE would be really against ArenaNet “philosophy”. It is really not how the game is designed to be.

i think when a player return after a time, he will be happy to see something newAs some classes u still deal no damage after practicing, but as i said before, for some classes a damage increase would be not good yea

While there are classes with a potential damage output definitely higher than others, I have to say that every class can do a very big amount of damage already.

For me and many other people returning to the game and finding to not be effective just as before would only be a stress. There are already a lot of things to do in game, things that don’t lead to player exclusion.

You could give yourself some tome to try adapt to what Guild Wars 2 is.

@Black Storm.6974 said:

While there are classes with a potential damage output definitely higher than others, I have to say that every class can do a very big amount of damage already.

For me and many other people returning to the game and finding to not be effective just as before would only be a stress. There are already a lot of things to do in game, things that don’t lead to player exclusion.

hmm yea, in that point you are definitely right ^^' but i never heard that players got excluded because of such things o.o

@SeTect.5918 said:

@"Nephalem.8921" said:There is a sigil that increases daze duration by 30%. 6% critdamage would be a very weak sigil.This game has already more than enouh powercreep. Would rather nerf all dmg/buff all hp instead of buffing dmg even further.What would you even do with new powercreep. You already kill raidbosses in minutes and have even <20sec phases on bosses like adina or gorseval.Siax record is like 20sec aswell.Increasing damage numbers without higher scaling in fractals/raids is pointless.

theres no sigil with 30% daze increase, just a 30% stun increase and a 30% daze increase on a rune, but u will lose damage if u use it.and the power is a thing about the class, if u look at engineer, they dont even have skills in their build that increase power. Also some other classes have no good damage. But for example, for warrior or reaper its true, it would be terrible to give them even more damage

The sigil works on stuns and dazes. just not mentioned in tooltip. Are you sure you know what powercreep means? Its not about the stat "power". Btw reaper has very low damage in pve. Holosmith and soulbeast very high.

@SeTect.5918 said:

hmm yea, in that point you are definitely right ^^' but i never heard that players got excluded because of such things o.o

Exactly, that kind of exclusion don’t exist in this game, because of how ArenaNet designed the game :) (Low difference of effectiveness between different rarities of equipment, low difference of damage output between people that dedicate a lot of time and resources to optimise the equipment and people who dedicate only few time and resources to that).

ArenaNet, over the years, has attracted a lot of people with that philosophy. I think changing that would be really risky.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@Nephalem.8921 said:There is a sigil that increases daze duration by 30%. 6% critdamage would be a very weak sigil.This game has already more than enouh powercreep. Would rather nerf all dmg/buff all hp instead of buffing dmg even further.What would you even do with new powercreep. You already kill raidbosses in minutes and have even <20sec phases on bosses like adina or gorseval.Siax record is like 20sec aswell.Increasing damage numbers without higher scaling in fractals/raids is pointless.

The sigil works on stuns and dazes. just not mentioned in tooltip. Are you sure you know what powercreep means? Its not about the stat "power". Btw reaper has very low damage in pve. Holosmith and soulbeast very high.

I already did edit the discussion, i think the thing with more damage was really a bad idea, so i did just add some ideas for sigils. Ahh, i didnt know that with the sigil, sorry.

@Black Storm.6974 said:

Exactly, that kind of exclusion don’t exist in this game, because of how ArenaNet designed the game :) (Low difference of effectiveness between different rarities of equipment, low difference of damage output between people that dedicate a lot of time and resources to optimise the equipment and people who dedicate only few time and resources to that).

ArenaNet, over the years, has attracted a lot of people with that philosophy. I think changing that would be really risky.

Yea, i admit my mistakes because of the damage increase and edit it a bit with adding some ideas for sigils and deleting the 1st part, i am sorry x.x

Gaining damage from grinding out a weapon = not a good idea.

I get where you're coming from, use a weapon, get better at using a weapon, deal more damage. But the reality is that you're "Forcing" a grind before people can start playing their build effectively. Not even going to mention how people often use 2 weapon sets and maybe even have additional weapon sets they swap in for particular activites... That's a whole lot of grinding out kills in order to be as effective as say... Engineer who just grabs his Rifle and maxes out his kills and is done for 99% of his gameplay.

As far as the Sigils go... The targets in PvE that are worth having sigils to increase damage against, have Defiance bars that make CC skills less important. Especially when it's about co-ordinating multiple people's CC skills to break the bar.

6% crit damage is pretty underpowered compared to 5% damage increase, 7% chance to crit (For 200%+ damage) or the 3-10% damage increase sigils (Night and enemy type ones)

I'm all for more interesting Sigils, but honestly, as it stands, the majority of currently existing Sigils are already outclassed by the select few;

Accuracy (7% crit)Force (5% damage)Bursting (5% Condi damage)Malice (5% Condi duration)Concentration (10% Boon duration)Agony (20% Bleeding duration)Demons (20% Torment duration)Smouldering (20% Burning duration)Night (3% damage, 10% at Night)Slaying (3% damage, 10% vs specific enemy types)Earth (6s Bleed on crit, 2s CD)Torment (2x 5s AoE Torment on crit, 5s CD)Geomancy (8s AoE Bleed on weapon swap, 9s CD)Doom (3x 8s Poison on weapon swap, 9s CD)

Everything else is not very good. Outside of PvP where Cleansing (Remove 3 conditions on weapon swap, 9s CD) and Energy (Restore 50% endurance on weapon swap, 9s CD) are used (With Energy also being used by PvE Mirage given how dodging is part of their DPS)

Meaning all the Flanking Strike sigils, most On Crit sigils, On Kill sigils (Outside of Bloodlust/Corruption in OW builds), most On Weapon Swap sigils and all On Interrupt sigils (Aside from I think a Warrior build might use Severance because it runs Mace/Mace which has a lot of stuns in its kit) just aren't used because they're not very good compared to the above mentioned sigils that are just flat out more effective for builds.

That's quite a lot of potentially interesting sigils that don't matter because of poor balance. Adding in new sigils is likely just going to add to the pile of unused sigils unless they're powercreep and can outperform the above mentioned ones and thus themselves become non-interesting since they'll be the only one(s) to be used.

@SeTect.5918 said:

Yea, i admit my mistakes because of the damage increase and edit it a bit with adding some ideas for sigils and deleting the 1st part, i am sorry x.x

Don’t worry :)

I would really appreciate to see different sigils in GW2.I’d also appreciate more effective sigils with effects not focused on increasing the damage output, or not directly.

I find particularly boring PvP sigils.

@Black Storm.6974 said:

Don’t worry :)

I would really appreciate to see different sigils in GW2.I’d also appreciate more effective sigils with effects not focused on increasing the damage output, or not directly.

I find particularly boring PvP sigils.

Well yea of course, well i will give my best to make some good suggestions hehe

@"Taril.8619" said:Gaining damage from grinding out a weapon = not a good idea.

I get where you're coming from, use a weapon, get better at using a weapon, deal more damage. But the reality is that you're "Forcing" a grind before people can start playing their build effectively. Not even going to mention how people often use 2 weapon sets and maybe even have additional weapon sets they swap in for particular activites... That's a whole lot of grinding out kills in order to be as effective as say... Engineer who just grabs his Rifle and maxes out his kills and is done for 99% of his gameplay.

As far as the Sigils go... The targets in PvE that are worth having sigils to increase damage against, have Defiance bars that make CC skills less important. Especially when it's about co-ordinating multiple people's CC skills to break the bar.

6% crit damage is pretty underpowered compared to 5% damage increase, 7% chance to crit (For 200%+ damage) or the 3-10% damage increase sigils (Night and enemy type ones)

I'm all for more interesting Sigils, but honestly, as it stands, the majority of currently existing Sigils are already outclassed by the select few;

Accuracy (7% crit)Force (5% damage)Bursting (5% Condi damage)Malice (5% Condi duration)Concentration (10% Boon duration)Agony (20% Bleeding duration)Demons (20% Torment duration)Smouldering (20% Burning duration)Night (3% damage, 10% at Night)Slaying (3% damage, 10% vs specific enemy types)Earth (6s Bleed on crit, 2s CD)Torment (2x 5s AoE Torment on crit, 5s CD)Geomancy (8s AoE Bleed on weapon swap, 9s CD)Doom (3x 8s Poison on weapon swap, 9s CD)

Everything else is not very good. Outside of PvP where Cleansing (Remove 3 conditions on weapon swap, 9s CD) and Energy (Restore 50% endurance on weapon swap, 9s CD) are used (With Energy also being used by PvE Mirage given how dodging is part of their DPS)

Meaning all the Flanking Strike sigils, most On Crit sigils, On Kill sigils (Outside of Bloodlust/Corruption in OW builds), most On Weapon Swap sigils and all On Interrupt sigils (Aside from I think a Warrior build might use Severance because it runs Mace/Mace which has a lot of stuns in its kit) just aren't used because they're not very good compared to the above mentioned sigils that are just flat out more effective for builds.

That's quite a lot of potentially interesting sigils that don't matter because of poor balance. Adding in new sigils is likely just going to add to the pile of unused sigils unless they're powercreep and can outperform the above mentioned ones and thus themselves become non-interesting since they'll be the only one(s) to be used.

well, the point with the damage increase for weaponset i already deleted because i also saw thats its not gonna be a good idea.I also edit the 6% critical damage to 8%.As you said there are really a lot of sigils nobody it using, thats why i try to find some new ideas for them. But its still hard to think about it and get some more ideas for it.Well i think i already got some more ideas for more sigils now, thank you :3

Things that I'd like to see.

More sigils that applied conditions like blind, weakness, immobilize. I'd like Sigil of Impact to work versus any CC. I'd like to see a sigil that applied poison in an area on weapon swap as an option, one that applied blind in an area on swap (not snowballs), one that applied weakness in an area on weapon swap. Having a sigil that applied slow somehow would be nice.

I'd also like to see more boon based sigils for things OTHER than the offensive boons, like protection, regen, aegis, and possible alacrity. Shoot, a barrier based sigil would be nice.

@Taril.8619 said:Accuracy (7% crit)Force (5% damage)Bursting (5% Condi damage)Malice (5% Condi duration)Concentration (10% Boon duration)Agony (20% Bleeding duration)Demons (20% Torment duration)Smouldering (20% Burning duration)Night (3% damage, 10% at Night)Slaying (3% damage, 10% vs specific enemy types)Earth (6s Bleed on crit, 2s CD)Torment (2x 5s AoE Torment on crit, 5s CD)Geomancy (8s AoE Bleed on weapon swap, 9s CD)Doom (3x 8s Poison on weapon swap, 9s CD)

Everything else is not very good. Outside of PvP where Cleansing (Remove 3 conditions on weapon swap, 9s CD) and Energy (Restore 50% endurance on weapon swap, 9s CD) are used (With Energy also being used by PvE Mirage given how dodging is part of their DPS)Energy is used in many builds in WvW. Transference is used a number of meta builds. Chilling has massive value on OW PvE Reaper and Rev builds. Geomancy goes in and out of meta with Condi Soulbeast....The list of things you are ignoring is pretty extensive and completely undermines the point you are looking to make.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Taril.8619" said:Accuracy (7% crit)Force (5% damage)Bursting (5% Condi damage)Malice (5% Condi duration)Concentration (10% Boon duration)Agony (20% Bleeding duration)Demons (20% Torment duration)Smouldering (20% Burning duration)Night (3% damage, 10% at Night)Slaying (3% damage, 10% vs specific enemy types)Earth (6s Bleed on crit, 2s CD)Torment (2x 5s AoE Torment on crit, 5s CD)Geomancy (8s AoE Bleed on weapon swap, 9s CD)Doom (3x 8s Poison on weapon swap, 9s CD)

Everything else is not very good. Outside of PvP where Cleansing (Remove 3 conditions on weapon swap, 9s CD) and Energy (Restore 50% endurance on weapon swap, 9s CD) are used (With Energy also being used by PvE Mirage given how dodging is part of their DPS)Energy is used in many builds in WvW. Transference is used a number of meta builds. Chilling has massive value on OW PvE Reaper and Rev builds. Geomancy goes in and out of meta with Condi Soulbeast....The list of things you are ignoring is pretty extensive and completely undermines the point you are looking to make.

I mentioned Energy being used (Not I didn't specify sPvP, but PvP in general which includes WvW)

Transference sure, I forgot that one for healing builds.

Chilling I don't see in any builds. OW or not. At best, I see a couple of fringe builds that run Hydromancy but the majority run Force/Accuracy or Bursting/Earth.

Geomancy I have mentioned and more than Condi Soulbeast uses it (PvE Condi Weaver, PvE Condi Ren and Condi Zerker use it)

So, the "List" of things I'm ignoring, was Transference, which I forgot to put down. All of 1 sigil.

The rest aren't used. Period.

• 3 weeks later...

It might be an option to have Sigils that could a 20% duration bonus to specific boons instead of all boons, or ones that give a 10% duration bonus to a pair of conditions or boons or even a pairing of a condition and a boon. This could lead to some interesting combination without pushing the power creep as much. Heck you could even get creative and have one give you a bonus to something while giving you a handicap in something else just a thought.