Ryland a double agent? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

Ryland a double agent?

Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭

I still think there is a chance Ryland is a double agent under orders to not release himself no matter the consequences. He even asks Cre “is that an order?” Was that code for “are you changing the plan?”

Either way I don’t think Cre is being honest with us. She might be working for Bangar all along. Rytlock and the commander wonder out loud more than once how Bangar keeps outsmarting them and gaining ground.

Comments

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Is Banger getting Ground?

    At the end of the story, Ryland gets told everyone from his Warband are dead.

    Which means in canon, by that Moment we won the meta event and therefor controll all of the map.

    We basically destroyed his Army in record time and are standing on his(jormags) doorstep.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Brycar.2651 said:
    I still think there is a chance Ryland is a double agent under orders to not release himself no matter the consequences. He even asks Cre “is that an order?” Was that code for “are you changing the plan?”

    Either way I don’t think Cre is being honest with us. She might be working for Bangar all along. Rytlock and the commander wonder out loud more than once how Bangar keeps outsmarting them and gaining ground.

    I think it's actually Malice and Ash working against "us".
    Ash already has people on their side as "double agents", so Ash has a better position to feed him information.

  • Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Brycar.2651 said:
    I still think there is a chance Ryland is a double agent under orders to not release himself no matter the consequences. He even asks Cre “is that an order?” Was that code for “are you changing the plan?”

    Either way I don’t think Cre is being honest with us. She might be working for Bangar all along. Rytlock and the commander wonder out loud more than once how Bangar keeps outsmarting them and gaining ground.

    I think it's actually Malice and Ash working against "us".
    Ash already has people on their side as "double agents", so Ash has a better position to feed him information.

    Maybe. I am over analyzing. That seems too obvious

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Is Banger getting Ground?

    At the end of the story, Ryland gets told everyone from his Warband are dead.

    Which means in canon, by that Moment we won the meta event and therefor controll all of the map.

    We basically destroyed his Army in record time and are standing on his(jormags) doorstep.

    But then we get pushed right back by the newly unveiled "Frost legion" and have to retreat to the "hidden base".

  • PseudoNewb.5468PseudoNewb.5468 Member ✭✭✭

    Ryland recites a vigil mantra in his story in Visions of the Past, so there is a little bit of info on him...
    It is still hard to imagine him as a double agent, however, a lot of irrational things are happening around the commander.

    Rytlock brings the commander to help, but The pact/Aurene's army is not asked for.
    Logan, the current pact commander, arrive with some Seraph, but doesn't seem to be on the Pact's behalf, he is with Kasmeer, and cites treaties with the queen for support.
    The commander is asked for options but ultimately sidelined on decisions anyways.

    I think nobody is being honest with the commander.
    If Ryland is being ordered to stay close to Bangar, and that, potentially, Drizzlewood Coast is not even an honest battle despite the casualties.
    Then Bangar must be far more dangerous than known, and he might have succeeded in actually controlling Jormag.

    The frost legion might not be what we think they are. They may be legitimately not Jormag's minions. And while Jormag and dragon's aren't exactly friendly, it might be even worse for the dragons power to be controlled by the charr wanting to wipe out all the other races.
    I think the imperators, and possibly the human queen knows how Bangar can do it, and they are buying time to figure out how to stop it, or hope to get someone else to take control of Jormag.
    Rytlock pulls Aurene's champion into the battle, but everyone else is trying to keep them away from this knowledge. A battle between two dragons is probably as advisable as between two gods. Besides, Jormag can't be killed.
    The pact commander can kill dragons, but, how do you free one?

  • Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

    "He leaves open so many opportunities, but I'll bide my time." Or something along those lines.

    Though losing everyone you care about is hard even when you're trying to usurp.

  • Perihen the Thawk.9527Perihen the Thawk.9527 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020

    @PseudoNewb.5468 said:
    Rytlock brings the commander to help, but The pact/Aurene's army is not asked for.
    Logan, the current pact commander, arrive with some Seraph, but doesn't seem to be on the Pact's behalf, he is with Kasmeer, and cites treaties with the queen for support.

    This makes perfect sense to me. The Pact has to officially stay out of this due to the politics of the situation for the same reason Aurene is staying out of it. Bangar's whole spiel is that the Pact is a threat to Charr sovereignty. If they get involved they risk validating that claim and exacerbating the desertions.

    But the Pact obviously has a huge stake in this and needs to be close by to deal with Jormag. So we're there. But only with Pact/Dragon's Watch with good excuses to be there. Rytlock is a Blood Legion Tribune. The Vigil was already nearby and can monitor the mountains. And Logan is being at least somewhat clever by arranging things so that he can be there on behalf of Kryta to repay the favor to Blood Legion after Lake Doric, instead of on behalf of the Pact. Despite being geared up with Dragonsblood weapons.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020

    @Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:

    @PseudoNewb.5468 said:
    Rytlock brings the commander to help, but The pact/Aurene's army is not asked for.
    Logan, the current pact commander, arrive with some Seraph, but doesn't seem to be on the Pact's behalf, he is with Kasmeer, and cites treaties with the queen for support.

    This makes perfect sense to me. The Pact has to officially stay out of this due to the politics of the situation for the same reason Aurene is staying out of it. Bangar's whole spiel is that the Pact is a threat to Charr sovereignty. If they get involved they risk validating that claim and exacerbating the desertions.

    But the Pact obviously has a huge stake in this and needs to be close by to deal with Jormag. So we're there. But only with Pact/Dragon's Watch with good excuses to be there. Rytlock is a Blood Legion Tribune. The Vigil was already nearby and can monitor the mountains. And Logan is being at least somewhat clever by arranging things so that he can be there on behalf of Kryta to repay the favor to Blood Legion after Lake Doric, instead of on behalf of the Pact. Despite being geared up with Dragonsblood weapons.

    With direct Jormag's direct influence/corruption in form of the Frost Legion, the Pact no longer has any excuses for staying out of it.
    Their sworn mission is to remove the threat of Elder Dragons, so Bangar's army clearly is their currently biggest enemy.

    I expect episode 4 to be about the Pact planning to join in, while Bangar tries to fend off Bangar's army and failing at that; leaving him wounded or dead. Episode 5 and 6 should then be about the pact striking at the army, slowing driving it back and ending in the defeat of Bangar (and maybe Ryland, too).

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020

    @Brycar.2651 said:
    I still think there is a chance Ryland is a double agent

    I see no such chance, to be honest. It was made very clear where he stands. In the end, he will come to his senses, but for now he is being portrayed as a sulky brat who felt abadoned by his sire as a child and therefore rebels against everything and is easily manipulated (though he has shown a conscience, unlike Bangar). I can't stand the character, he is two-dimensionally written that way - very predictable.

  • Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @Brycar.2651 said:
    I still think there is a chance Ryland is a double agent

    I see no such chance, to be honest. It was made very clear where he stands. In the end, he will come to his senses, but for now he is being portrayed as a sulky brat who felt abadoned by his sire as a child and therefore rebels against everything and is easily manipulated (though he has shown a conscience, unlike Bangar). I can't stand the character, he is two-dimensionally written that way - very predictable.

    You’re probably right. I’m just seeing what I want to see. But he was able to go on a secret spy mission to deceive Braham (not hard to do.). So, just maaaaybe his is like Snape.

  • aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I had the same feeling since the beginning. That he is working with Cre. But now he lost some of his warband I am not so sure anymore.

  • Genesis.8572Genesis.8572 Member ✭✭✭

    Ryland will eventually replace Rytlock in our forced group of "friends" in Dragon's Watch becoming Braham 2.0.

  • Image.8630Image.8630 Member ✭✭

    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

  • Image.8630Image.8630 Member ✭✭

    @Genesis.8572 said:
    Ryland will eventually replace Rytlock in our forced group of "friends" in Dragon's Watch becoming Braham 2.0.

    OMG NO WAY! If Anet forces that murdered in 'my' guild I QUIT!

  • Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭

    @Image.8630 said:
    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

    Ryland didn't kill Almorra, he defeated her in combat and Bangar stabbed her.

  • Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭

    @Revolution.5409 said:

    @Image.8630 said:
    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

    Ryland didn't kill Almorra, he defeated her in combat and Bangar stabbed her.

    Right. When it got to it he balked. Bangar killed Almora.

    And isn’t Canach a murderer?

  • Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭

    @Brycar.2651 said:

    @Revolution.5409 said:

    @Image.8630 said:
    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

    Ryland didn't kill Almorra, he defeated her in combat and Bangar stabbed her.

    Right. When it got to it he balked. Bangar killed Almora.

    And isn’t Canach a murderer?

    Canach is a fugitive, he was to be arrested for breaking the law.

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Canach
    "The team's actions provoked the local karka, who followed the fleeing survivors of the expedition back to Lion's Arch, where they attacked and destroyed Lion's Gate. Blamed by the authorities for his role in the karka invasion, Canach was apprehended in Garenhoff by the Lionguard. To avoid punishment, he offered to help fight the Ancient Karka, but fled at the first opportunity."

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Brycar.2651 said:

    @Revolution.5409 said:

    @Image.8630 said:
    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

    Ryland didn't kill Almorra, he defeated her in combat and Bangar stabbed her.

    Right. When it got to it he balked. Bangar killed Almora.

    And isn’t Canach a murderer?

    Aren't we all? In the game I mean... yes... in the game.

  • PseudoNewb.5468PseudoNewb.5468 Member ✭✭✭

    @Revolution.5409 said:

    @Image.8630 said:
    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

    Ryland didn't kill Almorra, he defeated her in combat and Bangar stabbed her.

    Ryland did not to help her.
    And... he couldn't even protect his own warband during his own war.
    Whatever he is trying to do, he has become quite pathetic getting there.

  • Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There's eight episode slots in this season for some reason, one of which was already taken by a Vision of the Past. So presumably, we'll get at least one more episode dedicated to Ryland's past (or even Bangar's), and find out what's going on.

    Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 15k hours, ~27k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Alisha Kei/Druid(PvE), Terakura/Spellbreaker & Kitty Koume/Reaper(WvW)
    The fun of being a link is tagging up and hearing "who are you?"

  • Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2020

    @PseudoNewb.5468 said:

    @Revolution.5409 said:

    @Image.8630 said:
    Did everyone forgot Ryland killed Almora ? !! I was hoping he would be a double agent but after that murder no way he can be redeemed. Dont get why commander doesn't tell Cre and Rytlock what Ryland did. No way I would ever forgive him.
    Still mad at Anet I was forced to kill Almora.

    Ryland didn't kill Almorra, he defeated her in combat and Bangar stabbed her.

    Ryland did not to help her.
    And... he couldn't even protect his own warband during his own war.
    Whatever he is trying to do, he has become quite pathetic getting there.

    Saving the life of Almorra meant betraying Bangar and he has repeatedly confirmed that he is faithful only to him.
    His choice not to kill Almorra and give him a burial is due only to the fact that he is a hero for the Charr and this is very consistent from my point of view.

    He was stupid in believing he was in an advantage position against 3 Charr emperors and this was his ruin in battle.
    Crecia predicted his every move with incredible accuracy or or he did not expect Smodur to be willing to kill the traitors of the iron legion by any means to win the war.

    His goal is the same as in Bangar, this seems quite obvious to me otherwise it would not make sense what he is doing, they were aware from the beginning of what was going on.