Why are we forced to play a mode if we dont like it?

Its more of a Note to devs:

(returning player.) why gift of battle needed for legendaries now only obtainable through reward track? if i hate wvw mode don't force me to play it. this will NOT help make me like wvw at all. it will just suck few days of disgusted playing time and contempt towards the game. Also, if anything it will make me forget about ever creating a new legendary again.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not this question again. Legendaries were never meant to be PvE-only gear, but representative of a player's mastery over the entire game. The real answer is you don't need a legendary if you're not going to participate in the entirety of this game. Use ascended gear.

@Chaba.5410 said:Not this question again. Legendaries were never meant to be PvE-only gear, but representative of a player's mastery over the entire game. The real answer is you don't need a legendary if you're not going to participate in the entirety of this game. Use ascended gear.

This. It's really the same for PvP or WvW or Raid players that want legendary gear, they also need to play content outside of 'their' area.

@"Chaba.5410" said:Legendaries were never meant to be PvE-only gear, but representative of a player's mastery over the entire game.This couldn't be any further from the truth but ok: What "mastery over the entire game" does the acquisition of the legendary WvW armor require?

@"Chaba.5410" said:The real answer is you don't need a legendary if you're not going to participate in the entirety of this game.That's not really an answer for anything as "need" has never been the reason for their implementation to begin with.

@"Diovid.9506" said:It's really the same for PvP or WvW ... players that want legendary gear, they also need to play content outside of 'their' area.No they don't need to leave "'their' area" for their associated legendaries.

@"Tails.9372" said:This couldn't be any further from the truth but ok: What "mastery over the entire game" does the acquisition of the legendary WvW armor require?

The identical 'mastery' required for the acquisition of a Gift of Battle.

@"Tails.9372" said:That's not really an answer for anything as "need" has never been the reason for their implementation to begin with.

The actual answer is: because ANET says so.

@"Tails.9372" said:No they don't need to leave "'their' area" for their associated legendaries.

Gift of World ExplorationGift of Jungle / Desert Mastery

You should look those up on the wiki and educate yourself.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Tails.9372" said:This couldn't be any further from the truth but ok: What "mastery over the
entire
game" does the acquisition of the legendary WvW armor require?

@"Tails.9372" said:That's not really an answer for anything as "need" has never been the reason for their implementation to begin with.

@"Tails.9372" said:No they don't need to leave "'their' area" for their associated legendaries.

You should look those up on the wiki and educate yourself.You should try to actually understand what you're responding to cause your responses don't make any sense in context to what you just quoted.

@Adonai.5071 said:Not at all easier, we used to get badges from some kind of achievement boxes too, i have 10,000 badges and my wvw lvl is 15 because this level was needed to be able to buy the gift of battle from the npc

But we needed to map all of WvW for the gift of exploration; now we don't need to anymore.You can just do the dailies that require absolutely no fighting. And even most of the one that require fighting are generally against NPC and structures and you can do them alone or by following people around.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Chaba.5410" said:Legendaries were never meant to be PvE-only gear, but representative of a player's mastery over the entire game.This couldn't be any further from the truth but ok: What "mastery over the
entire

It isn't far from the truth, but it is a fair question.

First of all, no one needs to play WvW either to acquire the PvE legendary armor. No Gift of Battle is used. So talking about legendary armor misses the entire discussion about legendary weapons, which I assumed the OP was talking about since you need a Gift of Battle to craft both the Gen1 and Gen2 legendary weapons.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Chaba.5410" said:The real answer is you don't need a legendary if you're not going to participate in the entirety of this game.That's not really an answer for anything as "need" has never been the reason for their implementation to begin with.

Legendary weapons were (and still are) endgame content. That's the reason for their implementation. If you are familiar with the history of this game, you'll remember that there was a closer relationship between WvW and PvE: there was no megaserver, Power of the Mists gave PvE bonuses based on WvW warscore, there was no WXP (only XP), map completion used to include WvW maps, there was no way to obtain PvE gear from PvP, etc. WvW was considered part of PvE just like raids and dungeons and fractals are considered part of PvE (while PvP was considered completely separate like it was in GW1). WvW today still uses PvE gearing/stats/etc. Endgame is a term that was adopted in MMOs to generally mean you played the whole game: all of what was considered PvE. This is reflected on the Wiki article even:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame#Legendary_weapons"Legendary weapons were the first long-term component to be included in the game. Crafting one is a feat that will ensure that a player has tested most playstyles -dungeons, WvW, map completion, farming and more. Buying one is a feat that will ensure that the player has acquired the knowledge of how to make money in the game (or will bring a healthy amount of support into the game if purchased using Gem to gold exchange). "

So no, my first comment was not far from the truth. Asking why Gift of Battle has to be included is like asking why one needs dungeon tokens.

@Tails.9372 said:

@Tails.9372 said:This couldn't be any further from the truth but ok: What "mastery over the
entire

@Tails.9372 said:That's not really an answer for anything as "need" has never been the reason for their implementation to begin with.

@Tails.9372 said:No they don't need to leave "'their' area" for their associated legendaries.

You should look those up on the wiki and educate yourself.You should try to actually understand what you're responding to cause your responses don't make any sense in context to what you just quoted.

Actually I understand the issue just fine, it is you who seem to be angry at the game. I tried to help, but you would rather be a keyboard warrior. Rage on my friend, fight the power.

Just do easy dailies for the wvw pots which give 250 reward track progress - like killing enemy NPCs, big spender, killing a veteran creature, land claimerOr walk to the nearest camp/ruins and capture it to get participation up. No need to fight anyone.It's very much doable, unless you force yourself to do it at once.

It is just a proverbial hoop that you need to jump through. I don't like spending mats on them so does that mean they should remove that too? My logic does not seem very sound there right? If you make the decision to not have a good time before you go you have basically already made your bed. Go in with an open mind throw fear out the window. Nobody is going to judge you for how good or bad you are or how many times you die. Because trust me we all die. Just some more than others and no body is counting.

@Adonai.5071 said:Its more of a Note to devs:

(returning player.) why gift of battle needed for legendaries now only obtainable through reward track? if i hate wvw mode don't force me to play it. this will NOT help make me like wvw at all. it will just suck few days of disgusted playing time and contempt towards the game. Also, if anything it will make me forget about ever creating a new legendary again.

I have to do world bosses for mine. Should I not have to?... because really hate doing world bossses.

@"Chaba.5410" said:So talking about legendary armor misses the entire discussion about legendary weapons, which I assumed the OP was talking about since you need a Gift of Battle to craft both the Gen1 and Gen2 legendary weapons.Except the OP never specified whether or not he's talking about weapons and GoB is also required for other kinds legendary gear. The general notion that "legendaries" should require you to play "everything" is also not just limited to weapons either so if you're only talking about a sertain sub section then you could have been more specific. Now I'm all for them adding an overarching legendary set that actually fully embraces the notion of "mastery over the entire game" and not just for one or two items but this shouldn't be the standard for all legendary EQ as this would undermine one of the main reasons of why we should have them in the first place.

@"Chaba.5410" said:Legendary weapons were (and still are) endgame content. That's the reason for their implementation."It's endgame content" isn't a reason either. The game outright tells you what the reason is: "to give players a long term goal to work towards". Sure players don't "need" legendary gear but "do you need it?" is the wrong question here cause it's missing the point. The real question is "should we have it" and I'd say for the general game modes and the bigger subcategories the answer is yes cause it's IMO the best way to serve the purpose.

@Adonai.5071 said:Its more of a Note to devs:

So why should I have to do map completion?

I hate PvE and hate to do map completion..

Help me out here. Maybe answering this may help you understand that a legendary is for (mostly) all major modes.

Or just buy a Gen 1 off the TP.

As a side note: no one is ‘forcing you’ to do anything.

Have a good day!

If I have to put up with craptons of PvE and Achievement Hunting for my legendaries you can endure one reward track of wvw which you can get done in a couple of days.

The fact that Legendary Weapons have one element that REQUIRES you to WvW and have a lot of requirements that require you to PvE should be an issue for WvW players yet it is the PvE players that we see complaining. Imagine yourself being somebody who despises PvE to the point of not being able to spend two days in it (time it requires you to finish a reward track with reasonable playtime for GoB). How would YOU feel about all the stuff you need to do in order to create a legendary weapon?

Truth be told, if you are into PvE you have and always will be privileged in these matters. Can't blame ArenaNet though, PvE is afterall, the most popular game mode and it is reasonable for them to invest into that. Doing this isn't exclusively to make you like WvW, in my opinion. It is first to make it a harder achievement for you, thus making your accomplishment feel more worthwhile and second to help keep competitive game modes populated, because they can't afford to make actual investments to improve it (bad business strategy imho).

Oddly enough, PvP and WvW players aren't making threads about this injustice and biasing towards PvE when crafting gear though. Complaining about this will only make you look spoiled and I believe in your potential to be better :)

@Tails.9372 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:So talking about legendary armor misses the entire discussion about legendary weapons, which I assumed the OP was talking about since you need a Gift of Battle to craft both the Gen1 and Gen2 legendary weapons.Except the OP never specified whether or not he's talking about weapons and GoB is also required for other kinds legendary gear.

Yea he could be talking about Aurora or Vision, which aren't as numerous as the weapons. That's pretty much it for Gift of Battle.

@Chaba.5410 said:Legendary weapons were (and still are) endgame content. That's the reason for their implementation."It's endgame content" isn't a reason either. The game outright tells you what the reason is: "to give players a long term goal to work towards". Sure players don't "need" legendary gear but "do you need it?" is the wrong question here cause it's missing the point. The real question is "should we have it" and I'd say for the general game modes and the bigger subcategories the answer is yes cause it's IMO the best way to serve the purpose.

Why are you arguing semantics, especially when you can search for all those articles and opinions written back in 2012 about legendary weapons being called endgame content in GW2 (as opposed to raids like in WoW)?

The OP is complaining about being forced to play for a long term goal! The Gift of Battle isn't meant to make players like WvW no more than the Gift of Ascalon is supposed to make players like dungeons. The guy doesn't need to craft a legendary if he's not willing play for it. Ascended gear has the same stat amounts and they're far cheaper and less demanding of time to obtain.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined/

But the concept of “endgame” isn’t restricted to a few specific encounters and monsters; we have multiple paths and a variety of different content for players of all kinds. For people who enjoy crafting, we added legendary weapons that use rare components gathered from multiple game types—they’re created using the Mystic Forge. The final reward at the end of this epic crafting path is a visual masterpiece: a weapon with a unique appearance and special effects that are sure to make you stand out in a crowd.

@Chaba.5410 said:Why are you arguing semanticsBecause that's what the whole the opposition to the OP (and many like him) boils down to. Sure there is no "need" to remove these requirements (which I personally wouldn't) but there is technically no "need" to keep them either.

@Chaba.5410 said:The OP is complaining about being forced to play for a long term goal!Not quite, he complains about having to play a different game mode for a long term goal. Something which is only applied to a subsection of the mostly PvE based legendaries. A PvE player needs to play WvW in order to get Aurora but a WvW player doesn't need to play PvE if he wants to get Conflux. The main issue here is that it discourages players to go for them which wouldn't be much of a problem if we were talking about a couple specific ones but it becomes counterproductive if it's a general requirement for most of them.