Sailing, new profession, new gamemode

It's been suggested before in many games, but I think this game has just about the most perfect fit for it after Pirates of the Carribean Online. To go along with the guild scribe, how about a new profession, the shipwright. This would be an awesome way to encourage people to work together as a guild by making ships owned by the guild instead of individuals. With the endless sea, you could add a crazy number of islands, or even potentially a new gamemode similar to WvW, where fleets of ships band together or fight over islands. I think you could really do a lot with it, even if it was just a way to sail around a couple new maps it would be cool. A big new shipyard in lion's arch would fit really nicely too. I think it would really help to change the game up in an exciting way so the next expansion isn't a big let down. Imagine storming an island with a fleet of ships firing onto the battle as countless players jump onto land to fight it out. Awesome.

That sounds really fun if it's made right. Adding new things to an mmorpg is essential to keep it alive and to freshen it up and also to make it as versatile as possible, so the players have many things to do. Would be cool if they introduced fishing as well.

Cantha may have many small islands, I am not sure though, but they could add it and create missions to go explore these islands with our ships. The islands can't be reached without a ship because the waves are too high, the ocean too dangerous too swim in or too dangerous to use a skimmer.

@"Obtena.7952" said:Sailing? I don't get the enthusiasm ... how does that fit at all with the current game?How did mounts fit with GW2?

Sailing could be nice if its done in the same style that archeage did it, but IMO its just not viable on the current engine. The water physics isnt there and neither is vehicle physics, its all very simplistic at moment. The map limitations would also seriously hamper the concept of "open seas". One of the hardest things for games to get right is moving players on moving vehicles. GW2 sort of does sometimes it but on rails, not with random player movement.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:Sailing? I don't get the enthusiasm ... how does that fit at all with the current game?How did mounts fit with GW2?

How did they not? We walk on land, mounts are a typical MMO element that people are familiar with ... it's pretty obvious IMO.

Sailing could be nice if its done in the same style that archeage did it, but IMO its just not viable on the current engine. The water physics isnt there and neither is vehicle physics, its all very simplistic at moment. The map limitations would also seriously hamper the concept of "open seas". One of the hardest things for games to get right is moving players on moving vehicles. GW2 sort of does sometimes it but on rails, not with random player movement.

Lots of things could be nice ... but sailing does NOT fit in with GW2 currently. It doesn't make sense to just imagine a whole bunch of sailing related content just to justify how great sailing would be in GW2.

@"Obtena.7952" said:How did they not? We walk on land, mounts are a typical MMO element that people are familiar with ... it's pretty obvious IMO.No, it wasnt obvious. GW2 maps are small, with lots of waypoints. HoT introduced the gliders due to the wild terrain and chasms but it still had lots of waypoints. It wasnt until PoF wide open deserts with very few waypoints relatively speaking that mounts became "obvious". Saying anything else is just revisionist. Extremely few wanted mounts during the vanilla years, in fact most of the time it came up the concensus was always we dont need them. Whether Anet then made a good implementation of it is a whole other matter.

I dont disagree with you on the sailing part, I just argued it from an engine perspective rather than "it does not fit".

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Sailing
could
be nice if its done in the same style that archeage did it, but IMO its just not viable on the current engine. The water physics isnt there and neither is vehicle physics, its all very simplistic at moment. The map limitations would also seriously hamper the concept of "open seas". One of the hardest things for games to get right is moving players on moving vehicles. GW2 sort of does sometimes it but on rails, not with random player movement.

IDK, they could actually add it to the game, the pve flying ships could work rather than "sailing in the water" :\, i can imagine this working for wvw but new maps and concept needs to happen and cash would be needed xDNo class should be needed to actually use it, but ships should be moslty guild based while there "should" exist a smaller version for smaller groups, the guild version could be some sorta mobile extention of the GH with fithing properties.

Imagine a dragon/or whatever flying mob event where players and guilds have to share their their airships, players with skyscales would charge to hit the mob and return back to the ship to recharge , while the pilot needs to play nicelly as well, other would use canon from ship others spells...

I'd really like another MMO where I could sail, taste the adventure of very long travels, using raining water and fishing to survive weeks.... without the fear that my ship is sunk by some other player.I would probably require too many effort to just use it as new game mode and I think ANET doesn't want to add any new profession (9 classes and carting professions seems definitive).

BUT... I'd use it for an expansion, eventually. For example when we'll explore the Unending Ocean. It could be a good way to fill the maps with something new that it's not only underwater combat (that could be boring for a lot of players).