Revenant is the least played profession. Heres how to buff them

aaron.7850

4% of characters being played currently are revenants.. even less played than engineers (6%).Heres how to buff them, from casual player POV.

1- Casual players like ranged weapons, yet both Hammer and Shortbow are horrible!2- Hammer is too slow, good luck trying to hit any enemy that decides not to be a stationary rock. This is why hammer is never seen in pvp or wvw.3- Shortbow is not used in pvp or wvw either! Skill #2 and #3 will never hit a moving target, and the weapon lacks any defensive ability. Its a shame that even condi renegades never use this weapon in wvw or pvp

Thats it. The character selection says Revenants can either be melee or ranged magic. I just wish it included a big disclaimer: "Warning: Revenant ranged weapons will only hit stationary objects!"

why do you think rev is in a bad position? I have one myself, but mostly play others, because playing all professions at once is pretty much impossible. I can say tho that rev is in a very good spot. I think giving it another buff would break pvp. if it needs anything it might need a smaller tweak in the condition department. others than that it provides a lot other classes can't do.

They should fix some of the daffy pathing on weapons, but the reason most people aren't playing it is:

1. Not available to free-to-play players.
  2. Highly esoteric theme for a class (compare to guardian, e.g., which most people register as "the paladin").
  3. Demanding energy and bar-swap mechanic.
  4. Can't pick your own skills.

It's still a very strong class due to its melee effectiveness, group support potential, and reasonable sustain; and the shortbow definitely sees some play in WvW.

@"ASP.8093" said:They should fix some of the daffy pathing on weapons, but the reason most people aren't playing it is:

2. Highly esoteric theme for a class (compare to guardian, e.g., which most people register as "the paladin").

It's still a very strong class due to its melee effectiveness, group support potential, and reasonable sustain; and the shortbow definitely sees some play in WvW.

Shortbow has no syenergy with the rest of the class. Condi revs are built to be aoe torment bombs which need to be in melee, but using shortbow in melee you are dead in 0.5 seconds. And staying in range as shortbow means you are not utilizing 80% of your talents and your damage will be so poor compared to other ranged weapons.

I think the shortbow is fine in wvw and pvp. Not sure why people expect any decent results when they play it as pure condi and pair it with skills + traits tuned for melee. The auto-attack has better power scaling than thief or ranger shortbows, and several other 900 range weapons...

And I don't know what people expect for defense, another silly backwards step while evading 3/4 sec skill? Revs aleady got Riposting Shadows and Call to Anguish for mobility options, Scorchrazor, Darkrazor, and Forced Engagement for CC options. I hope it's not people thinking something as busted as Infiltrator's Arrow would be reasonable.

@aaron.7850 said:

@"ASP.8093" said:They should fix some of the daffy pathing on weapons, but the reason most people aren't playing it is:

It's still a
very
strong class due to its melee effectiveness, group support potential, and reasonable sustain; and the shortbow definitely sees some play in WvW.

Shortbow has no syenergy with the rest of the class. Condi revs are built to be aoe torment bombs which need to be in melee, but using shortbow in melee you are dead in 0.5 seconds. And staying in range as shortbow means you are not utilizing 80% of your talents and your damage will be so poor compared to other ranged weapons.

Thats IMO more an issue with the renegade legend than with shortbow.

Shortbow has its issues but its not necessarily its damage, rather the handling.

Kalla has bad skill design IMO because its a one trick pony with interuptable spirits.

It would have been better if each of the skills would function differently.

The only i wouldn't change is the repeated interrupt.

Kitty's heard that hammer is good in WvW but it seriously sucks in PvE (in top 5 worst offensive weapon/class combinations). Shortbow is in decent spot as ranged weapon and even used as part of endgame PvE condi meta build. Shortbow is even way superior to hammer as power rene.One big problem for many is the energy management (usually among the most asked questions) which isn't super-easy as you may need to improvise impromptu and that's a big turn-off for many as lots of raiders seem to prefer clear rotation that don't punish you harshly if you don't think how to catch up when interrupted. It's also a somewhat unique themed profession and the animations aren't exactly the fanciest compared to other professions which also contribute to people not playing rev so much.

@"aaron.7850" said:1- Casual players like ranged weapons, yet both Hammer and Shortbow are horrible!

Really? Isn't that prejudice? Whatever the profession, GW2 don't favor range in it's gameplay. Beside, in a world were prejudices are right, I wouldn't turn myself toward an heavy armor character for range damage if I was a casual, I'd go look for the good old medium armor character (usually the "ranger"/"scout"/"archer" or whatever) or the light armor character for more "magical" damage from range.

2- Hammer is too slow, good luck trying to hit any enemy that decides not to be a stationary rock. This is why hammer is never seen in pvp or wvw.

Hammer define the revenant in WvW.

3- Shortbow is not used in pvp or wvw either! Skill #2 and #3 will never hit a moving target, and the weapon lacks any defensive ability. Its a shame that even condi renegades never use this weapon in wvw or pvp

Is it? Why would a range weapon need defensive abilities? After all being at range already ensure some mesure of safety and if you happen to be cornered in close combat you'd better use a melee weapon.

@"aaron.7850" said:4% of characters being played currently are revenants.. even less played than engineers (6%).Heres how to buff them, from casual player POV.

1- Casual players like ranged weapons, yet both Hammer and Shortbow are horrible!2- Hammer is too slow, good luck trying to hit any enemy that decides not to be a stationary rock. This is why hammer is never seen in pvp or wvw.3- Shortbow is not used in pvp or wvw either! Skill #2 and #3 will never hit a moving target, and the weapon lacks any defensive ability. Its a shame that even condi renegades never use this weapon in wvw or pvp

Thats it. The character selection says Revenants can either be melee or ranged magic. I just wish it included a big disclaimer: "Warning: Revenant ranged weapons will only hit stationary objects!"

Revenant is the least played profession because it came with HoT and not the initial release, also some people dislike energy management. (I love it)Shortbow is fine except #2 and #3. Hammer has issue if you move while using the #2 skill. Hammer #1 is the weirdest skill IMO.You know what Revenant need to make it more appealing ? A greatsword and a longbow legends. People love greatswords and longbows. Rifle are nice too.

Some ideas have been circulating around.

Asgeir Dragonrender + Greatsword (Would fit nicely with current LW)Asura magitek + Rifle??? + Longbow

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@"aaron.7850" said:4% of characters being played currently are revenants.. even less played than engineers (6%).Heres how to buff them, from casual player POV.

Revenant is the least played profession because it came with HoT and not the initial release, also some people dislike energy management. (I love it)Shortbow is fine except #2 and #3. Hammer has issue if you move while using the #2 skill. Hammer #1 is the weirdest skill IMO.You know what Revenant need to make it more appealing ? A greatsword and a longbow legends. People love greatswords and longbows. Rifle are nice too.

Asgeir Dragonrender + Greatsword (Would fit nicely with current LW)Asura magitek + Rifle??? + Longbow

Eir Stegalkin + Longbow

@Kulvar.1239 said:Revenant is the least played profession because it came with HoT and not the initial release, also some people dislike energy management. (I love it)Shortbow is fine except #2 and #3. Hammer has issue if you move while using the #2 skill. Hammer #1 is the weirdest skill IMO.You know what Revenant need to make it more appealing ? A greatsword and a longbow legends. People love greatswords and longbows. Rifle are nice too.

Hylek, Legendary AminiLegend Ameyalli giving some short lived critter shaped summons (some are sent to deal damage like some snake/beetle, some are sent to explode on their death (like a frog/beetle for example) following the principle of being both hunter and prey)Special mechanism: frog transformation (upkeep, transform the character into an itzel)Weapon: Longbow

Skritt, legendary scavengerLegend ??? giving foraging skills working like some kind of mantra with effects close to the asura skills (Pain inverter, technobabble, radiation field)Special mechanism: Foraging skill to get random bundlesWeapon: riffle

Grawl, Legendary shamanLegend ??? giving prayer like skillsSpecial mechanism: summon legend totem/statue providing unique buff to allies in the area.Weapon: scepter

Not difficult to imagine a host of possible range e-specs

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:Rev is in a pretty good spot to be honest, Hammer Herald is strong in WvW, Renegade is strong in PvE, you just have to look at PvP forums to know that Condi Rev is doing pretty well in PvP.

Hammer strong in WvW? Its a dead weapon in all game modes. When last time you stepped into wvw?

Must of been before HoT release since that was when Hammer rev was useless!

Seriously though i was there Last Night, we had about 8 hammer revs in group, Commander was very glad to see it

• Confused 1

@Kodama.6453 said:Eir Stegalkin + Longbow

Eir is not fitting enough to be a legend.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Hylek, Legendary AminiLegend Ameyalli giving some short lived critter shaped summons (some are sent to deal damage like some snake/beetle, some are sent to explode on their death (like a frog/beetle for example) following the principle of being both hunter and prey)Special mechanism: frog transformation (upkeep, transform the character into an itzel)Weapon: Longbow

Ameyalli sound good. I just hope it doesn't end like shortbow with some skills that can't hit anything. It sound like ranger could get something like that too.ANet is not fond of true transformations. Mallyx elite only give you a "smoke cloak". Same with Soulbeast, only a swirling green aura.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Skritt, legendary scavengerLegend ??? giving foraging skills working like some kind of mantra with effects close to the asura skills (Pain inverter, technobabble, radiation field)Special mechanism: Foraging skill to get random bundlesWeapon: riffle

Skritts seem completely unfit of being a legend because they're the most unserious race in the game.I would rather see an Asura legend with pistols or rifle.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Grawl, Legendary shamanLegend ??? giving prayer like skillsSpecial mechanism: summon legend totem/statue providing unique buff to allies in the area.Weapon: scepter

I don't know of any grawl fit of being a legend.

As for the weapon... Because Rev has so few weapon sets, getting only a main hand weapon or only an off hand weapon would be detrimental. Scepter + Focus for a range condi would go well with Mallyx as it would let you use Bindings of Ipos !

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:Rev is in a pretty good spot to be honest, Hammer Herald is strong in WvW, Renegade is strong in PvE, you just have to look at PvP forums to know that Condi Rev is doing pretty well in PvP.

Hammer strong in WvW? Its a dead weapon in all game modes. When last time you stepped into wvw?

Seriously though i was there Last Night, we had about 8 hammer revs in group, Commander was very glad to see it

Pic or it didn't happen.

I don't think there is 8 hammer revs across all maps at any given time...

• Like 1

@Justine.6351 said:

Pic or it didn't happen.

No your right, there is probably more

Rev's low play rate can be attributed to several things:

1) It requires HoT, meaning that F2P and Core players literally cannot play the class.2) The Legend system is not particularly interesting if you don't know the lore of GW to care about who any of the Legends actually are (You'll learn about Glint and a bit about Ventari during GW2, but Kalla? Shiro? Jalis? Mallyx?)3) They have few weapons available to them, meaning there's less options to try out in order to find a fun pairing of weaponsets4) The energy system can be wierd and offputting, especially if you find that one of the optimal ways to play Rev is to auto attack a ton because you never have Energy to do anything5) The Legend system can also feel really jank due to how you can often end up spending literally half your gameplay not having access to your build due to needing to swap to another legend which likely won't perform the same function to regain energy (I.e. Trying to heal, but you swap out of Ventari the only healer Legend. Or doing Conditions but swapping out of Mallyx the primary condi Legend)

Though, even with all this, the fact that Rev is barely behind Engie in terms of play rate, when Engie doesn't have most of these aspects (Engie does have the low number of weapon options, even with their kits due to how bad most kits are and the "Good" ones are pretty much only used for like 1-2 attacks at most) suggests that Engie probably needs help sooner than Rev, i.e. Engie needs bringing into 2020 rather than being stuck in 2012

• Like 2

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

Pic or it didn't happen.

Like I said, pics. Not just "feelings".

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:

Pic or it didn't happen.

Nobody plays hammer anymore. Made literally unplyable in october and nerfed even more since last major patch. Dead weapon. Stop pretending like that is not when everything says otherwise

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

Pic or it didn't happen.

Nobody plays hammer anymore. Made literally unplyable in october and nerfed even more since last major patch. Dead weapon. Stop pretending like that is not when everything says otherwise

Idk, Maybe its an NA thing? are you on NA servers by any chance?

Last major patch bought nerfs for every class not just for Rev, had Rev been untouched then it would be ridiculously overpowered but right now, Hammer Herald i should say, is very much Meta in WvW, Strong Damage, Strong group support anyone who says hammer is dead is either biased or doesn't understand the class itself.