Unidentified items what best to do with them

Salvaging them directly would be the most efficient way to deal with them.

Though, I like to use them first for chances to roll higher tier stuff for better salvage rewards or even gold (Via opening up an Exotic worth some coin)

Opening them up also can fill out your available Skins as well as progress towards several Collections (That require you to collect skins) when you salvage the items.

I open everything, from what I've experienced it alway seem a bit better income at the end.I salvage blue, green always.Salvage Rare only if they cost less than 16s (you can also use this for a more accurate "when to salvage", I was just bored to look at it everytime : gw.zweistein.cz/gw2ecto/

I've read ton of guide and seem like no one do the same so I made my own way to ^^

It can be tedious to sell all rare who cost more than 16s when you've a lot of them, so I agree with @Taril.8619 , for some people they would rather sell/salvage all in the most simple and faster way, I don't think the difference is gonna be a lot anyway.

TL;DR : as you wish, but I would said, always open rare at least :>

I always open them because there's a chance the drop will be higher quality than the unidentified item.. but considering how many you have that would be a long and very tedious process >.<I'd say open the rares but just salvage all the greens and blues to save yourself a significant amount of time.

@"Teratus.2859" said:I always open them because there's a chance the drop will be higher quality than the unidentified item.. but considering how many you have that would be a long and very tedious process >.<

I have found a fairly efficient way to open up many items at once and mass salvage:

Have 1 space in your bank (If needs be, just swap an item in your bank into your inventory)

• Right click on the Blue quality unidentified items and select "Use All"
  • When your inventory is full and you're overflowing, move the stack of unidentified items into your bank and collect your overflow item
  • Right click on your salvage kit (Ideally, an infinite use one but not everyone will have one) and select "Salvage all Fine and Lower items"
  • Put the stack of unidentified items back into your inventory
  • Rinse and repeat until all your Blue quality unidentified items have been cleared.
  • You may now check through your inventory to see what Masterwork, Rare and Exotic items you may have opened up to sell/use

Do the same for green quality unidentified items (Select Salvage all Masterwork and Lower Items) and then Yellow (Select Salavage all Rare items).

Takes only a couple of minutes to clear out everything leaving only Exotics, even without massive bags.

Of course, it's not quite as fast as using "Salvage Stack" option on the unidentified items, but the returns can be higher. Not sure if Magic Find affects the chance of getting upgraded loot from unidentified items, but if it does then it should get more and more profitable the closer you get to MF cap.

There is no best way to use them, it depends on what your priorities are. The quickest way to get rid of them all is to sell them, unopened, on the Trading Post. For slightly better profit you can salvage them and then sell the materials. If you want the chance at a precursor weapon and other rare drops you'll need to open at least the rares, possibly all of them (and then sell/salvage everything else).

If you want to maximise your profit without resorting to gambling for rare drops (and therefore get more consistent and probably higher overall profit) then it gets more complicated. You'll need to compare approximate values for the different options (sell unopened, salvage unopened, open then sell, open then salvage) and decide a process similar to the one @Orack.9756 uses. You'll also need to re-check the values periodically and maybe update what you do to reflect shifts in the market.

The downside of doing that is of course it takes more time, and the longer you spend working out what to do with your loot and sorting it the less time you have to get more, plus it's probably not as much fun as actually playing, so you'll need to factor that in as well.

For what it's worth I always open them all, sell whatever I can on the TP and salvage whatever's left (and only sell materials where I'm over capacity), but that's because I'm not worried about getting the maximum possible profit from them and I like the idea that I might get something rare and unusual. I've gotten several exotics with unique skins, or skins I didn't already have, doing it this way.

@Taril.8619 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:I always open them because there's a chance the drop will be higher quality than the unidentified item.. but considering how many you have that would be a long and very tedious process >.<

I have found a fairly efficient way to open up many items at once and mass salvage:

Have 1 space in your bank (If needs be, just swap an item in your bank into your inventory)
  • When your inventory is full and you're overflowing, move the stack of unidentified items into your bank and collect your overflow item
  • Right click on your salvage kit (Ideally, an infinite use one but not everyone will have one) and select "Salvage all Fine and Lower items"
  • Rinse and repeat until all your Blue quality unidentified items have been cleared.
  • You may now check through your inventory to see what Masterwork, Rare and Exotic items you may have opened up to sell/use

Do the same for green quality unidentified items (Select Salvage all Masterwork and Lower Items) and then Yellow (Select Salavage all Rare items).

Takes only a couple of minutes to clear out everything leaving only Exotics, even without massive bags.

Of course, it's not quite as fast as using "Salvage Stack" option on the unidentified items, but the returns can be higher. Not sure if Magic Find affects the chance of getting upgraded loot from unidentified items, but if it does then it should get more and more profitable the closer you get to MF cap.

I use a bag who is not affected by "order" (~2g at TP) and it does the same w/o the need to go to the bank (and allow me to put various item apart).Also, to not flood this bag if you've to much for the total of your bag (minus the bag unaffected), simple, close inventory before it's full, that will stop the process of opening.Salvage, repeat.

@Orack.9756 said:

I use a bag who is not affected by "order" (~2g at TP) and it does the same w/o the need to go to the bank (and allow me to put various item apart).Also, to not flood this bag if you've to much for the total of your bag (minus the bag unaffected), simple, close inventory before it's full, that will stop the process of opening.Salvage, repeat.

Oh now I actually get the post with the bank.Invisible bag is the answer. Whatever is in there it won't salvage. You kinda need one invisible bag if you want to open and salvage larger quantities in any normal timeframe.

@Cuks.8241 said:

Oh now I actually get the post with the bank.Invisible bag is the answer. Whatever is in there it won't salvage. You kinda need one invisible bag if you want to open and salvage larger quantities in any normal timeframe.

Yeah, but using a bank allows you to fill your entire inventory worth of space each round of salvaging as opposed to faffing about trying to not fill up your Invisible Bag.

Which is more efficient for large quantities of salvage that far exceeds your bag space. Such as with the OP's 2000 unidentified items. Or a typical Dragon's Stand full meta or Bitterfrost Frontier clear (All those Frostbound Chests... Plus Meta Event can easily net you several hundreds of unidentified items)

It's not as if popping into your bank is a particularly horrible thing to do... Given you can also visit merchants to sell your junk and pop in to the TP to collect your gold from sales... Or actually put loot into the bank if you got any... Maybe even visit the Mystic Toilet or do some crafting with some of the new loot/materials you got.

I dunno, it just seems easier to simply use 1-2 bank spaces (An extra one to put in unidentified Masterwork items so I can simply salvage MW + Fine items obtained from the unidentified Fine items) every now and then when I pop into town and go visit a bank.

@Taril.8619 said:

Yeah, but using a bank allows you to fill your entire inventory worth of space each round of salvaging as opposed to faffing about trying to not fill up your Invisible Bag.

Which is more efficient for large quantities of salvage that far exceeds your bag space. Such as with the OP's 2000 unidentified items. Or a typical Dragon's Stand full meta or Bitterfrost Frontier clear (All those Frostbound Chests... Plus Meta Event can easily net you several hundreds of unidentified items)

It's not as if popping into your bank is a particularly horrible thing to do... Given you can also visit merchants to sell your junk and pop in to the TP to collect your gold from sales... Or actually put loot into the bank if you got any... Maybe even visit the Mystic Toilet or do some crafting with some of the new loot/materials you got.

I dunno, it just seems easier to simply use 1-2 bank spaces (An extra one to put in unidentified Masterwork items so I can simply salvage MW + Fine items obtained from the unidentified Fine items) every now and then when I pop into town and go visit a bank.

I just use 3 account wide slots blue,green and yellow then start salvaging before it hits 250