New weapon types study - Knuckles, Polearms, Spears, Relics, and more

Lonami.2987

Last update here: December 10, 2020

I'm very disappointed we aren't getting new weapon types with Path of Fire, specially because the two iconic Nightfall professions, dervish and paragon, used scythe and spear.

Since release, the number of available weapon types hasn’t changed: 16 for land, and 3 for underwater. Weapon availability across professions didn’t change either, until Heart of Thorns and the introduction of elite specializations.

One of the distinct attributes of elite specializations is the addition of one new weapon proficiency for each profession. The first generation did kinda fine. The second, though, starts to be worrying. The third, I’m scared at what we could get if no new weapons are introduced.

Why? Just check this wiki table yourself.

Some professions just have nowhere to go, specially the warrior, with the guardian following close. Yeah, we could make like, staff warrior, or pistol guardian. Anything is possible, but that doesn’t mean it won’t feel cheap, or even lame.

There’s a big “cool factor” and “new toy” aspects with the new weapon proficiencies elite specializations provide, which directly impact sales as well. The new combinations must be cool, and not feel like excuses to fill a quota.

So, do we need new weapon types? I do think so, and the earlier the better. The second generation should have included them already. If they are introduced too late, we’ll face situations where the same weapon is introduced multiple times in a single generation, which would lead to a loss of variety.

There’s many weapon types out there, and I’m sure I’m missing some. I included all that I know of here below, divided in three priority categories, by how hard they would be to implement correctly, and specially, letting each one feel unique enough.

Top priority

There’s three underwater weapons, that can’t be used at land. They already have a long list of completed art assets, and adapting them for land would take less work than making new weapon types from scratch.

These are:

• Spear: Could be adapted for main-hand and off-hand usage.
  • Harpoon gun: Doesn’t make a lot of sense at land, but some of the simplest existing skins, as well as future skins, could be adapted to depict crossbows instead.
  • Trident: With the spear being one-handed, the trident would remain relevant as a two-handed longspear of sorts.

Secondary priority

Adapting the underwater weapons is a quick solution, with most of the art already existing, but they lack the novelty factor. We need brand new weapon types too, ones with new models designed from scratch, requiring a higher amount of work. However, we can still focus on existing character animations to save even more development time.

My selection would be:

• Greataxe: A two-handed axe, a classic RPG weapon. We see enemies wielding them ingame, and we also have it available in toy form. Most greatsword and hammer animations would work well with it.
  • Vial: An off-hand liquid container, anything form a mug to a potion, acting as a secondary focus for non-scholars, or the water version of the torch. The character would use it by drinking from it, spilling its contents, or throwing it away, animations that are all already ingame.
  • Scythe: A two-handed elongated curved blade polearm. A classic weapon from Guild Wars 1, the only one that hasn’t made it into the sequel as its own weapon type, though it can be found as staff skins. The new staff animations for revenant and thief would work fine for it.

Lowest priority

These weapons would require the most work, and have themes that could easily overlap with other existing weapons, and don’t let them stand on their own. They’re still worth mentioning, for they could make it into the game as kits, or alternate skins for existing weapon types.

A few ideas:

• Flail: One-handed mace variation, with the head connected to the pole with a chain. Wouldn’t necessarily require new animations, but would require a physics study so that the ball moves to the right speed according with the attack animations, feeling heavy, and hitting when it should.
  • Musical instruments: Too specific and exclusive for minor profession roles. Would require new animations depending on the instrument. Logical choice would be a harp or a lute, both which already exist as musical toys. Could work very well if done right, but would still require a lot of work.
  • Long shield: Off-hand larger version of the shield we have now. Could be interesting to provide additional shield skills, but skin-wise current shields already cover too many shapes and forms.
  • Saber: One-handed curved blade alternate to the sword. Its only problem is that it could overlap with swords too much, leaving it with no room to shine on its own.
  • Rapier: One-handed thrust blade alternate to the sword. Unique fighting style, but again, too similar to swords.
  • Whip: Off-hand medium-range leather weapon, already seen ingame, used by enemies. Could provide interesting weapon skills. However, it would require new animations, specific to each weapon for its unfolding properties. Also, some weapon and slot skills already have whip-like abilities as well.
  • Book / Orb: Off-hand or two-handed focus variation, which would use a new custom animation where the user carries the opened book on his hand when in combat. Cool for visuals, but kinda redundant with the focus already there.
  • Throwing weapons: One-handed javelins, axes, or daggers, specifically designed to be thrown. Their only problem is redundancy with their non-throwable versions, which are used as throwable by some professions anyway, as well as multiple slot skills.
  • Fist weapon: One-handed knuckles and other similar weaponry. Would require new animations, and role could overlap with daggers or utilities.
  • Polearm: Two-handed bladed spear. Redundancy with spears (and scythes) could be too high. There’s some existing polearm skins too, right now under the spear family.
  • Blowpipe / Sling: Ranged weapons, could prove interesting, but lack uniqueness beyond their animations, overlapping with most of the already existing ranged weapons.
  • Bo: Combat staff. Redundant now that classic staff fills its role, including bo skins.
  • Additional firearms: Shotguns, machine guns, and even heavy cannons. Lot of uniqueness potential, but lack of matching themes outside engineer and warrior.
  • Martial weapons: Nunchakus, shurikens, etc. They require some high mobility, so they wouldn’t make too much sense outside of thief, and their roles and themes can be found in other weapon and slot skills.

Classic weapons with a new purpose

Already existing weapons, that could be given a new purpose through alternative wielding hand options.

These are:

• Scepter: Adapted for off-hand usage, can be dual-wielded.
  • Shield: Adapted for main-hand usage, but with no dual-wield available.
  • Staff: Adapted for main-hand usage. Works exactly like the two-handed staff, but you can equip an off-hand with it, replacing skills #4 and #5.

So this looks like it. What’s your opinion? Do we need new weapon types? If so, how many, and which? Or maybe you think it’s fine with the current numbers, if so why?

I think the game does need new weapon types, and the sooner the better. I'm already very disappointed they weren't introduced with the second generation of elite specializations, and I hope we see them with the third expansion the latest.

Note that introduction of new weapon types doesn't mean we suddenly need 100 new skins for each new weapon. Underwater weapons stopped getting new skins long ago, and even if it would be awesome to have ArenaNet go back and add the missing weapon types to all the classic weapon sets, I don't think it's something strictly necessary. So, this should clear the "it's too much work" argument many people use against new weapon types.

Original thread: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/New-weapon-types-and-future-elite-specs

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think that new weapon types are one of the top ways Anet can freshen up the game, and I agree that not adding land spears at the very least was a huge, huge missed opportunity for this expansion. I think it would be a huge boon for the game if they added the following five:

Glove/GauntletPolearmGreataxe (this could also cover scythes)FlailTwo-handed Focus (tome, orb or some such)

Glove and gauntlet could also be away to thematically allow for wielding a single one-handed weapon, which I think the game needs. But it could be used in different ways for different classes.

I meant to provide specific comments on your suggestions:

Spears, tridents, and harpoon guns being converted to 1h spears, 2h polearms, and crossbows for land use makes a lot of sense, and agree that should be top priority.I also like your vial suggestion a lot. I'd vote for the next three types being greataxe (which includes scythe skins), glove/gauntlet, and vial. I think flails could probably work as just skins for maces.

also agree that there's no reason Anet should feel pressured to launch new weapon types with a thousand different skins, and that concern over that should not be an excuse to not do it. I think starting with 5-10 different skins and building on it from there would be perfectly reasonable.

Top priority

There’s three underwater weapons, that can’t be used at land. They already have a long list of completed art assets, and adapting them for land would take less work than making new weapon types from scratch.

These are:

Spear: Could be adapted for main-hand and off-hand usage.Harpoon gun: Doesn’t make a lot of sense at land, but some of the simplest existing skins, as well as future skins, could be adapted to depict crossbows instead.Trident: With the spear being one-handed, the trident would remain relevant as a two-handed longspear of sorts.

I see the possibilities but i'm not sure if it would actually save any time. In terms of making them into new on-land weapons the spear is a great idea if they went for a 1-handed. all the skins could easily be re-used though new animations would be an absolute must. This would include projectiles if thrown.

Trident as a long-spear is already obsolete with melee staff for the Daredevil and Rev. The trident would be after all originally a casting weapon just like staff. Several tridents even use staff skins already so they would need to make new art assets anyway.

As for the harpoon guns several use the same skin as in-game rifles already, though less than staff and trident. You would still need to adapt the old skins to fit as crossbows or the like, and potentially make new animations as well as projectiles.

Secondary priority

Adapting the underwater weapons is a quick solution, with most of the art already existing, but they lack the novelty factor. We need brand new weapon types too, ones with new models designed from scratch, requiring a higher amount of work. However, we can still focus on existing character animations to save even more development time.

My selection would be:

Greataxe: A two-handed axe, a classic RPG weapon. We see enemies wielding them ingame, and we also have it available in toy form. Most greatsword and hammer animations would work well with it.Vial: An off-hand liquid container, anything form a mug to a potion, acting as a secondary focus for non-scholars, or the water version of the torch. The character would use it by drinking from it, spilling its contents, or throwing it away, animations that are all already ingame.Scythe: A two-handed elongated curved blade polearm. A classic weapon from Guild Wars 1, the only one that hasn’t made it into the sequel as its own weapon type, though it can be found as staff skins. The new staff animations for revenant and thief would work fine for it.

I agree 100% on the greataxe.

Vials... meh? 1 small issue is that we already have 2 skins for the focus that are a mug of beer and a bottle of wine and this WILL cause confusion. Not bad in concept however.

Again with scythe, not bad in concept, I want a scythe but the staff already has scythe skins.

Lowest priority

These weapons would require the most work, and have themes that could easily overlap with other existing weapons, and don’t let them stand on their own. They’re still worth mentioning, for they could make it into the game as kits, or alternate skins for existing weapon types.

A few ideas:

Flail: One-handed mace variation, with the head connected to the pole with a chain. Wouldn’t necessarily require new animations, but would require a physics study so that the ball moves to the right speed according with the attack animations, feeling heavy, and hitting when it should.Musical instruments: Too specific and exclusive for minor profession roles. Would require new animations depending on the instrument. Logical choice would be a harp or a lute, both which already exist as musical toys. Could work very well if done right, but would still require a lot of work.Long shield: Off-hand larger version of the shield we have now. Could be interesting to provide additional shield skills, but skin-wise current shields already cover too many shapes and forms.Saber: One-handed curved blade alternate to the sword. Its only problem is that it could overlap with swords too much, leaving it with no room to shine on its own.Rapier: One-handed thrust blade alternate to the sword. Unique fighting style, but again, too similar to swords.Whip: Off-hand medium-range leather weapon, already seen ingame, used by enemies. Could provide interesting weapon skills. However, it would require new animations, specific to each weapon for its unfolding properties. Also, some weapon and slot skills already have whip-like abilities as well.Book / Orb: Off-hand or two-handed focus variation, which would use a new custom animation where the user carries the opened book on his hand when in combat. Cool for visuals, but kinda redundant with the focus already there.Throwing weapons: One-handed javelins, axes, or daggers, specifically designed to be thrown. Their only problem is redundancy with their non-throwable versions, which are used as throwable by some professions anyway, as well as multiple slot skills.Fist weapon: One-handed knuckles and other similar weaponry. Would require new animations, and role could overlap with daggers or utilities.Polearm: Two-handed bladed spear. Redundancy with spears (and scythes) could be too high. There’s some existing polearm skins too, right now under the spear family.Blowpipe / Sling: Ranged weapons, could prove interesting, but lack uniqueness beyond their animations, overlapping with most of the already existing ranged weapons.Bo: Combat staff. Redundant now that classic staff fills its role, including bo skins.Additional firearms: Shotguns, machine guns, and even heavy cannons. Lot of uniqueness potential, but lack of matching themes outside engineer and warrior.Martial weapons: Nunchakus, shurikens, etc. They require some high mobility, so they wouldn’t make too much sense outside of thief, and their roles and themes can be found in other weapon and slot skills.

Classic weapons with a new purpose

Already existing weapons, that could be given a new purpose through alternative wielding hand options.

These are:

Scepter: Adapted for off-hand usage, can be dual-wielded.Shield: Adapted for main-hand usage, but with no dual-wield available.Staff: Adapted for main-hand usage. Works exactly like the two-handed staff, but you can equip an off-hand with it, replacing skills #4 and #5.

I see several ideas here that i like... and some that i personally think just wont work.

Lets get the easy ones out of the way: Saber, Rapier, long shield, Bo/combat staff/book... you mention this yourself, they are already in game. Its just a different skin. The GW2 combat mechanics doesn't have what it takes to make these into new weapons.

New Firearms/blowpipe/sling: I see good and bad on this. Like you mention there is already a lot of redundancy with existing skills. However The idea of a cross bow definitely works for this if they build it from scratch or adapt/borrow harpoon gun skins.

Whip/fist weapons/pole arm: all things i agree we need. All things with a lot of potential mechanically and game-play wise.

Instrument/thrown wep/martial wep: I see issues trying to make them into standard weapons, mostly like you already pointed out that they are too unique or overly redundant.... unless... weapon kits. I don't know how well it would go over, but honestly, Engi is the ONLY profession with weapon kits... if a new Elite spec gave me weapon kits so that i had access to 25 new weapon skills in total id be more that a little happy with that.

Your last point is re-doing existing weapons in new ways. I fully agree with this. Especially the dual-wield scepter since that actually exists in-game in the Ascalon Catacombs.

I really don't see the need for new weapon types in this game. I mean, even warrior, the class who can currently wield the most weapons in the game, still has 6 open weapon slots, allowing for 6 more elite specs before he runs out just with the current weapons (or 5 if he gets dual pistols in a single spec like he got dual daggers). Even at that point though, assuming GW3 isn't out yet, there's nothing preventing a new warrior elite from re-using a weapon a previous one used. Nothing stopping the new one from re-using torch for instance.

Plus, on the other hand, we already have plenty of open "slots" for weapons. Scepter could be adapted as a second hand weapon for an elite spec, torch/focus/warhorn could be adapted as mainhand weapons for some elite specs (and shield too as a stretch for an extremely defensive oriented spec). There's just no need for new weapon types, and no matter how they would be implemented it would have huge drawbacks ("wasted" dev time by creating skins for them for every existing set and recipes for making them, despite it not being new content. Or having an extremely limited set of skins for these new weapons, which you can bet real money on would definitely piss off a lot of players who play fashion wars).

@OriOri.8724 said:I really don't see the need for new weapon types in this game. I mean, even warrior, the class who can currently wield the most weapons in the game, still has 6 open weapon slots, allowing for 6 more elite specs before he runs out just with the current weapons (or 5 if he gets dual pistols in a single spec like he got dual daggers). Even at that point though, assuming GW3 isn't out yet, there's nothing preventing a new warrior elite from re-using a weapon a previous one used. Nothing stopping the new one from re-using torch for instance.

Plus, on the other hand, we already have plenty of open "slots" for weapons. Scepter could be adapted as a second hand weapon for an elite spec, torch/focus/warhorn could be adapted as mainhand weapons for some elite specs (and shield too as a stretch for an extremely defensive oriented spec). There's just no need for new weapon types, and no matter how they would be implemented it would have huge drawbacks ("wasted" dev time by creating skins for them for every existing set and recipes for making them, despite it not being new content. Or having an extremely limited set of skins for these new weapons, which you can bet real money on would definitely kitten off a lot of players who play fashion wars).

Not every weapon type makes sense for every profession. A new weapon type will be rejuvenating for the game for sure.

In Crystal Oasis, in the demo, there was an off-duty cavalier fist-fight taking place inside the casino. They were using animations I don't think I have seen before implemented in-game.These animations could easily be used for the creation of fist weapons. Plus, a lot of focus skins look like fist weapons. From the point I am standing, this doesn't even look like a hard job.

I really want to see new weapons enter the game. One thing that disappoints me is how Anet will focus solely on things like living story and re-designing existing systems in the game. Then ignore others things completely like new weapon design or even new races, but that my only gripe.

This game badly need new weapon types, it all well and good that other professions are getting weapons that they don't have, but at some point that well will dry up. And I don't want to picture guardian with pistols or sometime silly like that.

Spears would be a good start, could be used as a melee or throwing weapon depending on the profession. The other aquatic weapons wouldn't really work with out clashing with staff and rifle.

Weapon I would really like to see would be;Whip: for a more mid range aoe control weapon.Crossbow, inheritent piercing to differentiate it from bows and guns maybe:Gauntlet: in your face smashy smashy, or maybe some martial arts.Orbs: for those that played Aion, pretty much 2 handed focus that floats around.

@OriOri.8724 said:I really don't see the need for new weapon types in this game. I mean, even warrior, the class who can currently wield the most weapons in the game, still has 6 open weapon slots, allowing for 6 more elite specs before he runs out just with the current weapons (or 5 if he gets dual pistols in a single spec like he got dual daggers). Even at that point though, assuming GW3 isn't out yet, there's nothing preventing a new warrior elite from re-using a weapon a previous one used. Nothing stopping the new one from re-using torch for instance.

Plus, on the other hand, we already have plenty of open "slots" for weapons. Scepter could be adapted as a second hand weapon for an elite spec, torch/focus/warhorn could be adapted as mainhand weapons for some elite specs (and shield too as a stretch for an extremely defensive oriented spec). There's just no need for new weapon types, and no matter how they would be implemented it would have huge drawbacks ("wasted" dev time by creating skins for them for every existing set and recipes for making them, despite it not being new content. Or having an extremely limited set of skins for these new weapons, which you can bet real money on would definitely kitten off a lot of players who play fashion wars).

I love writing up ideas for using offhand weapons in the main hand, or vice versa. Guardian with MH shield to toss in mid-range. Thief with MH torch for smokey goodness. Dual scepter warrior who uses them as beating sticks? Go for it!

Limitation fuels creativity. If you really want other weapon types, they can always be kits or conjures. Reaper gets a scythe in shroud form already. Somebody could just as easily call up a spear, crossbow, or whatever else.

I don't see the need for new weapons in this game anytime soon. Moreover, I really hope ANet doesn't re-introduce weapons simply because they were iconic in GW1. In GW2, weapons are primarily foci for channeling magic, so they can be any shape or size, thus the primary consideration is what makes the most sense for balancing the gameplay, not whether anyone's favorite skin type is making a come back.

Plus each new weapon type adds to the amount of time ANet needs to spend on weapon sets -- bring back scythe and we need a scythe BL skin plus have to collect more skins to finish achievements, etc. I don't think any of that additional overhead is worth the small benefit.

(The OP is being disingenuous by suggesting that these won't need new skins. The community, including the OP, would be in an uproar if ANet only released a few skins initially. At the very least, this has to increase the ongoing overhead for creating future skin sets. Underwater skins are okay to short because (a) there are already a lot, including a legendary/precuror and (b) underwater gets less attention already.)

So far, I think ANet has done some really interesting things without adding more weapon types. I hated the idea that mesmers were getting another off-hand, since they lacked a good main-hand alternative to scepter, but ... wow, chronomancer shield has been amazing, both in animation and function. I'd much rather see more of that level of creativity then adding nostalgia to the game.

Spear can be adapted to land use, daggers can be adapted to water use. Hell, they may even make two handed weapons capable of being equiped on offhand. (imagine- dual hammer, dual greatsword, .. dual longbow?????????)

Also as the game continues to release expansion packs, they will eventually run out of weapons following the trend that each new elite specialization will have a new weapon. I'm sure Arenanet would come up with something eventually.

Spear/shield warrior sounds sick

What makes elite spec fun to play are mechanics not weapons.

Nobody ever said that 1 elite spec is bound to 1 weapon and that's the end of it.

I could see two elite specs with rifle on thief for example.

• One is DeadEye, slow & high burst sniper.
  • One could be Shadow Medic with rifle as a heal / blind set. The new mechanic would be bail ( teleport allied target to your location and heal him for X ) instead of steal.

You see ? I created two different gameplays, a sniper and a medic, with the same weapon.

I agree that the aquatic weapons really need to evolve legs and drag themselves onto land, and I'd love new weapons like whip, or gauntlets.

Also, you could get a lot of mileage out of turning off-hand weapons into main hand weapons. I thought the Tempest should have had main hand war horn, for example. Any of the light professions could easily have war horn, focus, or torch main hand; I could see there being some interesting concepts for Guardian or Revenant for main hand on any of those as well.

New weapons mean new shinies to chase = easy source of revenue for Anet. Weapons can be backward compatible with millions of existing characters = millions of toons waiting to be decked out = easy source of revenue for Anet. Weapons are a lot easier to design than new races and classes. But just as open-ended in terms of design space possibilities. Elite specs wielding specialized weapons are not that different than new classes.

I see most potential and coolness factor in two-handed axe. Out of the gate, warriors, rangers, necros, and engineer obviously seem fitting to wield great axe.

Vial reminds me of Asheron's Call 2's alchemist. Probably off-hand only. I can see it for engineer, mesmer, elementalist, thief.

Don't forget Chakrams. That are good weapons for long, mid, and melee rang fighting styles and could fit pretty much any class. It could even be used with magic if you get creative with it using how people would normally fight at range with it. (think Xena Warrior Princess, imagine a legendary weapon after trail of it as you throw it into a group of enemies and it bounce around before coming back)

I voted also for more Weapon Types in an other thread, but the Op absolutely exaggerates it here excessively with "weapon types" that are no weapons at all and also aren't really useful except for maybe just 1 single class, or are just absolutely not fitting into the lore of the game, or can be covered as skins for already existing weapon types

You have to understand, that we need to keep the amount of weapon types as low as possible also too, because of weapon skin sets, which are an incredible work load, which is also the reason why Anet doesn't make anymore skins for underwater weapons so far, cause they put underwater gameplay completely on ice and as result of that they reduced themself also the workload that comes from making weapon skin sets by doing no skins anymore for harpoon guns, tridents and spears.

In my opinion are two of these 3 weapon types anyways completely obsolete and should have been merged already years ago with the other existign weapon types.Anet themself doesn't hold themself onto their own game lore with rifles and pistols being of blackpoder technology, but we run around with all kinds of crazy looking pistols and rifles already, that look like weapons from the future of Tyria, like 1000+ years forward...just look at H.O.P.E.. What has this please to do again with Blackpowder Technology???To me personally the Pistol and the Rifle should have NEVER been implemented into the game from begin on.
We should have gotten instead therefore the Crossbow & the Chakram instead.A Class like the Engineer should have started then instead with Mace and Crossbow as Core Class Weapons, instead of Pistol and Rifle.Would have given this class also more variety with a Melee and a Ranged Weapon, instead of letting this Class start with 2 ranged weapons.Barely any Classes use Pistols/Rifles anyway, cause they fit soo less at all to the whole game, cause all Classes use 90% of all the times just medieval weapons that suit to the style of GW2, not modern stuff that looks totally out of place compared to the other Weapon Types .I barely see Rifle Warriors, cause Longbow is just so much more superior with its Condition and AoE Gameplay, Rifles also dont fit to a Class medieval Warrior, Crossbows would fit better to them, Warriors using Rifles is so unfittign like giving Robocop a Sword ...

Tridents should get merged into Staff, they are mechanically nothing else than staff, just with different looks.Harpoon Guns should get removed together with Rifle/Pistols, Underwater Combat needs more Skill Varienty through added Weapons - Dagger, Sword, Axe, Mace, Shield, Focus, Scepter, Crossbow (as these weapons work with the same mechanism like Harpoon Guns and both shoot bolts)Spears should become Polearms and become useable on land as like underwater.

Through this merging and removal we would have space for 2 completely new weapon types, which I would say should be then Chain Whip/Sicle and Claws/GauntletsIn fact, Claws is something that I hoped the Soulbeast would receive, it woudl fit that Spec so much better, than recyclign a Weapon, that the Ranger can use already as Offhand Weapon. Giving them already Mainhand Daggers, could have been rather an retroactive improval for more Build Diversity of the Core ranger instead, same as like Thieves should receive retroactively the Offhand Sword for some better Build Diversity, no need to make for that extra ever an Elite Spec out of this, just because Devs don't want to work on new Weapon Types, that would fit better to the Class Concept, cause that would mean more effort...

Sabers, Rapiers are nothing but just sword skinsA Bo is nothing else but just a staff Skin, its in fact already existing as Daredevil Elite Spec Weapon SkinFlails could be Mace ReskinsMusical Instruments could be as MH Weapon reworked Focus Skins ( I always said, theres no reason to have Offhand only Weapons, Shield, Focus, Torch should be useable in both hands )Longshields could be also just Skield KSins if Anet would make liek said above OH weapons useable in both handsGreataxe is nothing but just a Polearm with a big axe attached to it, so it can work as skin Polearm SkinScythe, same as like GreataxeVial...just a Focus that you can throw, so its just a gameplay mechanic changeBlowpipe - god forbid, please no, also not relly creative useable for skins, too small as a weapon to be very creative here for skinsOrbs/Books = Focus Skins with Gameplay Mechanic ChangeAdditional Firearms - No, just no, make even lesser sense than Pistols or Rifle.. rofl Machine Guns >.> what do you want next, a Railgun? Missile Launchers?Nunchakus - make nowhere else sense, than for thief... Each added Weapon should be useable for at least 2-3 Classes, if a Weapon is just only useful for 1 single class, then scrap this idea

Crossbows could be thematically used by Warriors, Revenants, Guardians, Thieves, Rangers, Elementalists, Mesmers, Necromancers, Engineers, while Rifles could be notChakrams could be thematically used by Warriors, Revenants, Guardians, Thieves, Rangers, Engineers, Elementalists, Mesmers, Necromancers, while Pistols could be notChain Whips/Sicles could be thematically used by Warriors, Revenants, Thieves, Rangers, Engineers, Elementalists, Mesmers, NecromancersClaws/Gauntlets could be thematically used by Warriors, Revenants, Thieves, Rangers, Necromancers

I can't see new weapon types being added ever.

However, different weapon type skin is doable. The shortbow got a slingshot as a weapon.

I would like Staff to be renamed as Polearm because it could mean many different weapon skins added such as Staff/Great Axe/Spears/Tridents/Halberds/Scythe. ANet would not have to create more weapon types. Then a Warrior with a Polearm would make sense.

@Eme.2018 said:

Not every weapon type makes sense for every profession. A new weapon type will be rejuvenating for the game for sure.

In Crystal Oasis, in the demo, there was an
off-duty cavalier fist-fight
taking place inside the casino. They were using animations I don't think I have seen before implemented in-game.These animations could easily be used for the creation of fist weapons. Plus, a lot of focus skins look like fist weapons. From the point I am standing, this doesn't even look like a hard job.

Mesmer ranged GS cough cough thief melee staff cough revenant hammer cough cough