Can we please buff Mesmer Staff? Its the worst weapon on our kit.

aaron.7850

Only reason to use staff is to level alts if you want to play it safely.

wvw'ers never use it because its too slow and unimpactful

spvpers use axe and sword, a POWER WEAPON... how embarrassing

raiders only use axe and forget about staff entirely, how scandalous

Its just sad, because I like the feel of it and the way spells look, but in most case scenarios it is outclassed by all the other weapons

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. This will be from an sPvP standpoint (with a teeeeeny bit of PvE spinkled on top).

It's actually one of the best condi/hybrid weapons we have. You're overlooking the pulsing daze on Chaos Storm, being able to trigger our own Chaos armor at will, back to back, being able to Phase Retreat whilst CC'd...it's a utility weapon. If you're the kind of person who looks at a weapon and sees DOMAGES then I totally understand and forgive you for not being able to appreciate how brilliant the staff's kit is.

You're also overlooking the weakness and the fumble that clones provide from their auto attacks.

The Phantasm attached to it isn't stellar in it's DPS, but the vulnerability is provides for an accompanied shatter shouldn't be overlooked.

I mean Phase Retreat also makes both shattering offensively whilst being slippers SO incredibly easy. It absolutely RUINS Thief's days, for days.

Also Chaos Storm absolutely decimates break-bars in PvE and makes them trivial.

This weapon, and the Chaos Line make nearly every champion soloable in Vipers' gear. Except Champion Dunechaser. Screw the Dunechaser.

tl;dr if it got a buff, it's a knife's edge. One slight push too far and it throws the weapon out of whack towards everyone crying.

Also laughing at using Blurred "wait till it's over then nuke me" Frenzy and sword's accompanying and utterly useless immobilize, which, rarely to never actually works because it's so buggy. Axe is a death sentence when you have one dodge. In fact playing Mirage in PvP is just masochistic.

@"Obliviscaris.6937" said:Right. This will be from an sPvP standpoint (with a teeeeeny bit of PvE spinkled on top).

It's actually one of the best condi/hybrid weapons we have. You're overlooking the pulsing daze on Chaos Storm, being able to trigger our own Chaos armor at will, back to back, being able to Phase Retreat whilst CC'd...it's a utility weapon. If you're the kind of person who looks at a weapon and sees DOMAGES then I totally understand and forgive you for not being able to appreciate how brilliant the staff's kit is.

You're also overlooking the weakness and the fumble that clones provide from their auto attacks.

The Phantasm attached to it isn't stellar in it's DPS, but the vulnerability is provides for an accompanied shatter shouldn't be overlooked.

I mean Phase Retreat also makes both shattering offensively whilst being slippers SO incredibly easy. It absolutely RUINS Thief's days, for days.

Also Chaos Storm absolutely decimates break-bars in PvE and makes them trivial.

This weapon, and the Chaos Line make nearly every champion soloable in Vipers' gear. Except Champion Dunechaser. Screw the Dunechaser.

tl;dr if it got a buff, it's a knife's edge. One slight push too far and it throws the weapon out of whack towards everyone crying.

Also laughing at using Blurred "wait till it's over then nuke me" Frenzy and sword's accompanying and utterly useless immobilize, which, rarely to never actually works because it's so buggy. Axe is a death sentence when you have one dodge. In fact playing Mirage in PvP is just masochistic.

in pvp, in my opinion staff is the shitties weapon in the entire game, and I cant wrap my head around the fact that people still use this hot piece of garbage.while playing condi build, sword provides me with more utility, damage and survivability then staff can hope for. it has MUCH more cc, MORE damage, on par mobility, extra evade etc etc.Staff just does nothing, most of the skills are meh or garbage, ambush was nerfed to shit to the point where using it is dps loss, staff 2 nice to use but in a grand scheme of things it just a staling ability, staff 3 is useless, staff 4 us mega useless and staff 5 is the best skill of the staff, its also really bad.

In fact staff is so FUCKING bad that you can do 100% buffs to it and I will still not use it, this is how fucking garbage the weapon is.

PS fuck us mesmer, the fact that we have 2 mainhand condi weapons without elite spec, scepter and staff, and we are forced to use this garbage if we go condi.

compared to other weapons its ok but i wish for transmute 4 just to be able to do a little morejust the current roaming style for mesmer in pvp is better and that comes with sword and axe, while staff offers superior kiting around the node which isn't meta to go right nowbuffing the weapon won't make a difference, since you'd be outclassed on the node by plenty of other specs and you'll be using axe and sword to roam again

I get that it is supposed to be a defensive utility weapon, but a little more defensive utility would be awfully nice. Have the phantasm transfer a condition from you to it's target with each pulse instead of the vulnerability. Also, grant a transmute to Chaos Armor that converts 1 condition on yourself and nearby allies into a boon and 1 boon on nearby foes into a condition. It is supposed to be the iconic chaos weapon after all. Pretty please with cherries on top!

for this weapon to be viable they gotta buff staff 3 by 100%.buff ambush ( from mesmer not clones ) by 100%.remove skill 4, and add new, strong skillif that happens it just might be usable, untill then"utility" weapon that has shitty dps,cc,survivability and its most remarkable feature is 450 range teleport will not be viable.

If that auto attack projectile was a bit faster and staff 3 was changed to deal burning or confusion it'd be a good utility weapon while still having enough offensive pressure for condi builds. Would be nice if Mesmers could transmute Staff 4 too to spread random condis in an aoe, i mean it makes sense because eles can transmute the 4 elements because that's the magic they specialize in while mesmer specialize in chaos magic.

The auto-attack is pretty bad but that's fine, every weapon doesn't need a strong auto-attack.

Skill 2 is fantastic.

Staff 3 does 500 damage on heavy golem in spvp with a 1k power amulet. I dunno what to say, that's essentially a dead button. This needs to be revamped entirely.

Staff 4 is barely more useful than #3. Chaos armor is very underwhelming and by far the worst aura. It should auto apply protection on use for 3-4 seconds at the very least. It'd still be the worst aura but at least the button would do something.

Staff 5 is nice but the cooldown is pretty hefty for only 5 second cooldown. This button is fine.

I'd revamp 3 and add more things to 4.

@"Melian.5368" said:It is used very widely on WvW as a roaming mirage. Check this build https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Chaotic_Condition_RoamerBut I agree that I would never use it without Infinite Horizon trait, because using ambush with 3 clones up is just OP and otherwise, the weapon is just under powered.

people dont know you can sidestep those in wvw or wat?

@Melian.5368 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:people dont know you can sidestep those in wvw or wat?

It's one dodge. Then you touch your mirage mirror and cast another ambush. With +40% endurance regen via food, ppl can't dodge forever. It was even better when mirage had 2 dodges but still you can make it work.

everything has more dodges then mirage, so by default you can dodge every mirage dodge :D

@Melian.5368 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:everything has more dodges then mirage, so by default you can dodge every mirage dodge :D

Touching a mirror makes the mirage to dodge, and shattered illusions turn into mirrors. So...

soo, what? most if not all dueling classes have perma vigor with food on top of 2 dodges with built in evasion etc, the only thing staff ambush is good at is counter pressure, when you get dove by holo/warr etc, you apply counterdamage after dodging, or forcing them to dodge, and thus getting breathing room, expecting staff ambush to actually kill anything with a brain is dreaming

Its okay as a support/utility weapon (alot of Chaos Armor potential, healing on illusion summon, some condi damage & buffs, etc.). But if you're trying to use it to actually hurt anything, it doesn't really work. Thing is, most ranged staves are in this shape except Ele and Guardian. I wish they'd do something about Druid, Mesmer and Necro Staff skills in particular.

That said if you're playing a tank than Mesmer Staff currently makes you nearly immortal.

@"Shiyo.3578" said:The auto-attack is pretty bad but that's fine, every weapon doesn't need a strong auto-attack.

Skill 2 is fantastic.

Staff 3 does 500 damage on heavy golem in spvp with a 1k power amulet. I dunno what to say, that's essentially a dead button. This needs to be revamped entirely.

Staff 4 is barely more useful than #3. Chaos armor is very underwhelming and by far the worst aura. It should auto apply protection on use for 3-4 seconds at the very least. It'd still be the worst aura but at least the button would do something.

Staff 5 is nice but the cooldown is pretty hefty for only 5 second cooldown. This button is fine.

I'd revamp 3 and add more things to 4.

Agree with Shiyo, totally.Auto attack: very good -a bit slow, but I wouldn't change itStaff 2: I just love everything about this skill, and the increased CD is only fair considering the utility it provides.Staff 5: some nasty, almost instacast, 1400-ish range AOE daze, no travel time, with lingering AOE pulsing conditions and boons. The long CD is only fair, the skill IS powerful.Staff 3: don't even know what is it supposed to do. It doesn't give conditions\control like torch5, it doesn't deal heavy damage like sword5, it doesn't deal """instant""" ranged damage like gs4... you just use it for it to turn into a clone, and even then, phantasmal disenchanter turns into a clone faster than staff 3. It's bad even as clone fodder. It may help adding utility to this skill-eg: pulsing some kind of effect to absorb incoming area damage, like the old phantasmal defender did? Blind on the first hit? IDK, but this skill really had 0 effort put into.Staff 4: quite visibly the worst aura; I would never touch a player with shocking aura on, I have reasons to hold my trigger against players with magnetic aura, and frost aura can grant some nasty chill which you can't ignore forever. Chaos aura is just a helpful tooltip to pinpoint the real mesmer when the clone\phantasm spam is crowding the scene.If it granted blindness, or slow?, to the attacker -instead of confusion- and\or aegis\vigor instead of swiftness (what would even be the point of swiftness in such a skill?) maybe, MAYBE it'd have some usefulness -then again, switching confusion for blindness would proc [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ineptitude] (Ineptitude), which would turn it into a straight up improvement instead of a change, and change of these 2 skills is what is really needed, not just a buff.

Staff is generally excellent when between shatters and the autoattack it has the DPS to grind down a target. It was a perfectly good weapon before the megabalance patch hit mesmer damage output by 80% compared to the normal 30-50%. The problem is between the removal of the expertise amulets and the Ambush nerf also hitting the mesmer itself, and the gutting of Sharper Images it's gutted an 1800 damage per second weapon in realistic PvP stats down to 360 damage per second weapon. There are builds with so much HPS they completely negate everything the staff can do DPS wise making them literally mathematically ukillable.

The Phantasm is limp and takes too long to become a clone and doesn't even fit the theme of below average damage reinforced by both debilitating debuts towards the target and potent buffs for the mesmer and their allies. The Auto attack needs it's damage returned primarily on the mesmer itself as no one likes the clones as turrets gameplay, including the ambush. That's really about it.

Even in PvE thanks to being unnerfed it has a niche as it's the best thing for soloing champion and legendary bosses.

3 needs improvement - I'd even have it reverted to old iWarlock with the bolt. Even though that thing used to miss a lot, at least it could deal some hefty damage when it hit. The current iWarlock is kitten. Does absolutely nothing and takes ages to transform into a clone too.

4 needs guaranteed all condi (weakness, confusion, cripple) proc on cast, not RNG nonsense that you might get 1 confusion (lol) when you really needed that clutch weakness. It cannot be relied on as a defensive tool due to this, and therefore only acts as a soft, pseudo-passive damage mitigation that may or may not save you in the case of unavoidable damage. Otherwise it's still a glorified button press to get the same aura you can get while doing any number of combos through any number of ethereal fields.

1 could do with faster projectile travel speed - because for Core and Chrono it's a bit weak "meh". On mirage, the ambush is fine.

2 is still in my opinion one of the best skills on the entire class.

5 is ok in the new state of the game.

6, No I still can't be bothered to play, but can be bothered to chime in on this discussion. :p

@aaron.7850 said:Only reason to use staff is to level alts if you want to play it safely.

wvw'ers never use it because its too slow and unimpactful

spvpers use axe and sword, a POWER WEAPON... how embarrassing

raiders only use axe and forget about staff entirely, how scandalous

Its just sad, because I like the feel of it and the way spells look, but in most case scenarios it is outclassed by all the other weapons

In pvp and wvw staff is trash but in pve staff is great,best suited for solo open world, nonetheless i love staff (on mirage that is)

@mikdepadua.8376 said:If that auto attack projectile was a bit faster and staff 3 was changed to deal burning or confusion it'd be a good utility weapon while still having enough offensive pressure for condi builds. Would be nice if Mesmers could transmute Staff 4 too to spread random condis in an aoe, i mean it makes sense because eles can transmute the 4 elements because that's the magic they specialize in while mesmer specialize in chaos magic.

I don't agree with your first line, the fact that staff's projectile is homing; meaning it tracks the target makes up greatly for the slowness,and i don't think the making staff 3 do burning or confusion makes sense really since 1 and ambush already does burning and there is already a torch phantasm that does both of those conditions anyway,the vulnerability is enough pressure also considering you're running dueling so they even do a good amount of bleeding. Post PoF staff ambush actually did confusion along with torment but that was changed like a month later considering it was probably way too strong.