Idea: Fancier commander tags?

I say Nay. If for no other reason that too many different tags in one space can get confusing already, giving players more and different icons especially the casual fan base is just going to confuse them more. With catmander and commander tags in the hue's we already have thats enough diversity. I mean seriously would we need more than 18 people tagging up?

@"Head Kracker.4790" said:I say Nay. If for no other reason that too many different tags in one space can get confusing already, giving players more and different icons especially the casual fan base is just going to confuse them more. With catmander and commander tags in the hue's we already have thats enough diversity. I mean seriously would we need more than 18 people tagging up?On what map do you see 18 people tagging up? In fact, on what map do you see a tag without there being an express purpose for it (usually the meta train)? Was there 18 tags in DR or something that once ganged up and hurt you or something?

Anyway, this is a common complaint for the only place where the color and shape of the tag actually matters, WvW. A way to tell the "intent" of the tag better (ie roaming, zerging, havoc, scouting etc) via more than two shapes would be appreciated.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:You mean something like this?:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Catmander%27s_Compendium

Sure, give us more variation, but ideally via in game means again.

Sort of. I'm talking about the icon that goes above your head having some effects or fanciness to it. The base icons that we see on the mini-map wouldn't change. Just the more detailed one above your character's head.

I think having too many variations could be confusing. It's important that all commander tags are instantly recognisable as being the same thing. The more variation and detail you add the more risk there is that two commander tags could look completely different and that could be confusing for players. (Although some variation is useful - its so much easier now when commanders can use different coloured tags for different activities than when everyone had the same blue tag.)

It might be possible to add new versions to what we've already got (like the 'pugmander' tags some players have asked for, with dog faces instead of cats) without getting too confusing, but I think any changes would have to be minor, which makes it difficult to justify making them gem store purchases.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:What do you guys think of having a gem store item that cosmetically (only) changes the appearance of commander tags?

It wouldn't grant a tag, just enhance the one(s) you already have.

If you like it, I don't think it should apply to mentor tags.What purpose would this serve?... are you seriously asking what purpose cosmetics in the gemshop serve?

I wouldn't be against more commander tag icons.. definitely for more colours like Black ^^But I am against them being a gemstore thing.. I paid a lot of gold to get my Commander and Catmander tags, if they ever add more it's only fair they be unlocked the same way with a big gold investment.

I also think it would be cool if Commanders could designate a limited amount of leaders within their squad groups and those players would be temporarily assigned a Lieutenant commander title and given a smaller and slightly different commander icon which the Commander could change the colour of.

Another thing which might be good as well is if Commanders get slightly bigger name plates with a different colour so they are far more easily distinguished among groups and zergs.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Head Kracker.4790" said:I say Nay. If for no other reason that too many different tags in one space can get confusing already, giving players more and different icons especially the casual fan base is just going to confuse them more. With catmander and commander tags in the hue's we already have thats enough diversity. I mean seriously would we need more than 18 people tagging up?On what map do you see 18 people tagging up? In fact, on what map do you see a tag without there being an express purpose for it (usually the meta train)? Was there 18 tags in DR or something that once ganged up and hurt you or something?

Anyway, this is a common complaint for the only place where the color and shape of the tag actually matters, WvW. A way to tell the "intent" of the tag better (ie roaming, zerging, havoc, scouting etc) via more than two shapes would be appreciated.

That is a very good point.

@Teratus.2859 said:I wouldn't be against more commander tag icons.. definitely for more colours like Black ^^But I am against them being a gemstore thing.. I paid a lot of gold to get my Commander and Catmander tags, if they ever add more it's only fair they be unlocked the same way with a big gold investment.

I also think it would be cool if Commanders could designate a limited amount of leaders within their squad groups and those players would be temporarily assigned a Lieutenant commander title and given a smaller and slightly different commander icon which the Commander could change the colour of.

Another thing which might be good as well is if Commanders get slightly bigger name plates with a different colour so they are far more easily distinguished among groups and zergs.

I like both these ideas, on the condition that the bigger/different coloured name tag only shows up if you're in the commanders squad, and the lieutenant icon similarly only shows up if you're in their group. That way they would be useful markers for people who need them but wouldn't add much to the overall 'visual noise' of the UI.

The lieutenant markers especially would be useful for my guild when we're doing guild missions. For the bounty we break into smaller groups and each group goes after a different one. We want to stay in the same squad so we can still coordinate across groups (e.g. if one finds their target quickly they know who is struggling so they can go and help) but that means only the guild leader's group has a commander tag and everyone else has to try and coordinate getting to the same place without one. If the leaders of each sub-group had their own tag that would be much easier.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Head Kracker.4790 said:I say Nay. If for no other reason that too many different tags in one space can get confusing already, giving players more and different icons especially the casual fan base is just going to confuse them more. With catmander and commander tags in the hue's we already have thats enough diversity. I mean seriously would we need more than 18 people tagging up?On what map do you see 18 people tagging up? In fact, on what map do you see a tag without there being an express purpose for it (usually the meta train)? Was there 18 tags in DR or something that once ganged up and hurt you or something?

i think what he meant is: with 9 colors and normal tag + catmander we have 18 different tags available. thats already more than we would ever need.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I wouldn't be against more commander tag icons.. definitely for more colours like Black ^^But I am against them being a gemstore thing.. I paid a lot of gold to get my Commander and Catmander tags, if they ever add more it's only fair they be unlocked the same way with a big gold investment.

I like both these ideas, on the condition that the bigger/different coloured name tag only shows up if you're in the commanders squad, and the lieutenant icon similarly only shows up if you're in their group. That way they would be useful markers for people who need them but wouldn't add much to the overall 'visual noise' of the UI.

The lieutenant markers especially would be useful for my guild when we're doing guild missions. For the bounty we break into smaller groups and each group goes after a different one. We want to stay in the same squad so we can still coordinate across groups (e.g. if one finds their target quickly they know who is struggling so they can go and help) but that means only the guild leader's group has a commander tag and everyone else has to try and coordinate getting to the same place without one. If the leaders of each sub-group had their own tag that would be much easier.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking, I should have specified specifically for the group not the overworld.As you said visual noise would be a bit overkill if every commander could suddenly spam an extra say 5 Lieutenant commander tags onto the map that everyone could see.Same with the name too, group only to avoid people obnoxiously tagging up every chance they get to make their name stand out more.

Localized to the group would definitely need to be a thing.

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:Bad idea. Years ago when tags became more easily available you'd see so many tags on the map you could barely see the map. The only reason people turned those tags off was because they added nothing cosmetically.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear: this would change the appearance of already-existing tags. You still have to buy a tag in-game first. This idea just allows you to add some spice to the tag that goes above a commander's head.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:Bad idea. Years ago when tags became more easily available you'd see so many tags on the map you could barely see the map. The only reason people turned those tags off was because they added nothing cosmetically.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear: this would change the appearance of already-existing tags. You still have to buy a tag in-game first. This idea just allows you to add some spice to the tag that goes above a commander's head.

Why? So you can glow even more in Lion's Arch?

• 3 months later...

@Teratus.2859 said:I also think it would be cool if Commanders could designate a limited amount of leaders within their squad groups and those players would be temporarily assigned a Lieutenant commander title and given a smaller and slightly different commander icon which the Commander could change the colour of.A simple Lieutenant icon will be very useful but it should only be visible to squad members, and not visible to anyone else

@Silent.6137 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I also think it would be cool if Commanders could designate a limited amount of leaders within their squad groups and those players would be temporarily assigned a Lieutenant commander title and given a smaller and slightly different commander icon which the Commander could change the colour of.A simple Lieutenant icon will be very useful but it should only be visible to squad members, and not visible to anyone else

Aye that was my thinking too, purely an in squad thing ^^

@Silent.6137 said:

Use the target markers for that, folks.