Best class for new player to use max level boost?

Wishing.8461

I'm new to the game and still have not selected a class for the max level boost. I have a warrior around level 45 and have been testing Guardian in the silverwastes, but I'm hesitant to choose a class that is either weak or has too high of a skill cap for a new player to play properly. What classes are forgiving for someone learning while also being strong or relevant in PVE and PVP at the moment? Thank you!

Hi, welcome to the game!

Just an FYI, if you're looking to test more directly head to the PVP area. In the PVP place, you are automatically max level and unlock all skills and weapons for your class (even elite specializations if you own the expansions). They also have training dummies so you can try out full builds and skills.

Most forgiving classes will probably be Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, and Necro. They all have good dmg options and sustain.

Out of those four classes, I'd say Ranger and Guardian prob have the most build diversity in all game modes.

• For ranger you can run meta support/healer (Druid), top tier Power DPS (Power Soulbeast), and top tier condi DPS (Condition Soulbeast) buildsBuilds here: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Ranger
  • For guardian, you can also run support/healer (Firebrand), top tier Power DPS (Power DH), and top tier condi DPS (condition Firebrand) builds.

For PVP, both classes are quite relevant with guardian being a top tier support class (firebrand) and ranger being a side node/dueling class (Core ranger/Soulbeast). Both classes use builds that are inherently tanky with great sustain so they offer a higher margin of error if necessary. That said, playing any class to their max potential in PVP is quite difficult and really relies more so on overall game sense and knowledge of all classes (so you know counters, win conditions, abilities etc.)

My advice for new players, don't worry too much about choosing a class that's weak or too high skill cap, pick something you enjoy playing. While some might disagree lol, balance patches do occur and builds and classes shift in and out of the meta (example: Mesmer in PVP used to be insanely strong, now they are bottom of the totem poll). Find a class you enjoy playing and stick to it, eventually you will know your class inside and out and be able to outperform people using "meta" builds.

Just an extra class suggestion: Thief could also be a very interesting option. They are the squishiest class, but they make up for it in dmg mitigation abilities (dodging, blinds etc.) IMO, Power Staff Thief is one of the easiest PVE DPS classes to play. You can probably do a perfect rotation with your eyes closed. The one problem is they are probably the hardest class to play properly in PVP; however, if you get good, you can carry games with them.

@"Jelle.7856" said:Hi, welcome to the game!

Just an FYI, if you're looking to test more directly head to the PVP area. In the PVP place, you are automatically max level and unlock all skills and weapons for your class (even elite specializations if you own the expansions). They also have training dummies so you can try out full builds and skills.

Most forgiving classes will probably be Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, and Necro. They all have good dmg options and sustain.

Out of those four classes, I'd say Ranger and Guardian prob have the most build diversity in all game modes.

• For ranger you can run meta support/healer (Druid), top tier Power DPS (Power Soulbeast), and top tier condi DPS (Condition Soulbeast) buildsBuilds here: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Ranger
  • For guardian, you can also run support/healer (Firebrand), top tier Power DPS (Power DH), and top tier condi DPS (condition Firebrand) builds.

For PVP, both classes are quite relevant with guardian being a top tier support class (firebrand) and ranger being a side node/dueling class (Core ranger/Soulbeast). Both classes use builds that are inherently tanky with great sustain so they offer a higher margin of error if necessary. That said, playing any class to their max potential in PVP is quite difficult and really relies more so on overall game sense and knowledge of all classes (so you know counters, win conditions, abilities etc.)

My advice for new players, don't worry too much about choosing a class that's weak or too high skill cap, pick something you enjoy playing. While some might disagree lol, balance patches do occur and builds and classes shift in and out of the meta (example: Mesmer in PVP used to be insanely strong, now they are bottom of the totem poll). Find a class you enjoy playing and stick to it, eventually you will know your class inside and out and be able to outperform people using "meta" builds.

Just an extra class suggestion: Thief could also be a very interesting option. They are the squishiest class, but they make up for it in dmg mitigation abilities (dodging, blinds etc.) IMO, Power Staff Thief is one of the easiest PVE DPS classes to play. You can probably do a perfect rotation with your eyes closed. The one problem is they are probably the hardest class to play properly in PVP; however, if you get good, you can carry games with them.

Thank you. This was very helpful tbh. I might just stick with Guardian if it is relevant because I have been enjoying it and it sounds like I can build for both PVE and PVP.

I suggest boosting Necro.

Point of using the boost is to skip unpleasent low level crawl that some (but not all) professions experience before they reach their maturity and start owning hard.

Warrrior - he checks all your marks, but is plainly strong from lvl 1. He does not have any nasty "leveling phase" that you'd want to skip to get to the "good stuff".

Ranger - similar to warrior, but he also has issue of his pets. These are not related to leveling directly - you must go out and explore tyria to tame his pets, so even when boosted, there's still a need for him to go to the parts you skipped and at least fetch a part of his zoo.

Guardian - that is not a begginer friendly profession! It has terrible base hp (lowest along with ele and thief!) and relies on active defense to survive! A small mistake can get you downed very easily and it's downstate is one of the worst in game. You will die far more then on other professions mentioned until you really master it.

Necro - he is the profession that actually sucks pre-80 (core necro in PvE at least does), and using boost here is justified. You want to unlock his elites a.s.a.p. as they turn him into PvE killing machine with amazing sustain and amazing AoE. He is very durable by default and has tons of traits that let you ramp it up even further. It is no hard task to have both great damage, sustain and AoE on a necro. Price you pay is that he is weak in raiding as a dps. He does hoever have great utility in non speed clear groups with his barriers and mass ressing.

• 1 year later...

Easy to play options imho exist in every proffession. For example, the "too hard to play elementalist" actually has some very easy to play tempest builds using trailblazer In open world. And power weaver is also pretty easy to play in all honesty. 

Elementalists name generally comes from its survivability in raid and fractal areas of the game as the proffession falls over dead far quicker then alot of other options if you mess up. 

Necromancer, ranger, warrior and guardian are generally the new player recommended ones. If your looking to be flexible I'd recommend necromancer or guardian these 2 proffessions offer a wide range of roles you can realistically play in. 

Another good option maybe engineer, it is harder to play and there are more buttons surfounding it. However scrapper with its inbuilt barrier can feel immortal in open world content and has a heal and quickness build used in more competitive content. Holo gameplay is also rather simple where most of the learning curve is in its heat management not in ability complexity. 

Basically what I'm saying is if you don't want to feel very squishy, don't pick elementalist or thief. From there choose whatever appeals to you aesthetically and gameplay wise.

Check out vallun on YouTube for information on said class he even has a 1 build for all content options for every class to simplify tbe entry curve for you. 

Then go to hardstuck.gg there will give you all builds avaliable to that proffession a 1 to 5 difficulty rating based on opinons of how long it will take to learn properly and have he basic rotations / trait set up / gear set up in all content. 

Goodluck, I hope you choose well and love whatever you choose 

P.s on a PvP front guardian isn't as strong as made out. DH is a decent choice but gets 1 shot due to being a absolute glass cannon. Although it can also kill spectacularly fast  Although it does have a fairly strong support build. In PvP without communication may get frustrating. 

Edited by Daddy.8125

15 hours ago, Andrew.2604 said:

I'd suggest boost a harder class to level like Elementalist,  but honestly, just boost Revenant and unlock Renegade and get a set of Trailblazers and beat the game in Easy mode, because that's all people care about nowadays, TAKING THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE.

Isnt minonmancer afk farming considered easier then renegade? 🤣🤣 Tbh not liking ele doesn't mean someone's taking the path of least resistance. 

People tend to jump the gun on this sorta stuff. Admitting something like elementalist is too hard for to play isn't something to look down on gw2 is too hard for the majority of the games population they should play throw a more punishing route on that and the games gonna fe wildly inaccessible 

Trailblazer Condi tempest would be just as easy in 99% of open world content realistically. But they will go splat in a raid among a small mistake other proffessions can just brush off we saw how much easier the proffession got during the barrier bug realistically. 

Edited by Daddy.8125