WvW roaming. Not as decent as it looks — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

WvW roaming. Not as decent as it looks

Flee.5602Flee.5602 Member ✭✭

WvW is mainly a place for large-scale wars. Therefore, most members choose equipment/Build to serve the team.

Compared to WvW roaming, equipment/Build is just the opposite. Serve individuals. Roaming players take advantage of WvW.

I often see WvW roaming on YouTube is very ornamental. But the general quality is indeed not high.

The core difference : WvW players and roaming players have different degrees of concentration.

<1

Comments

• Flee.5602Flee.5602 Member ✭✭
    edited June 11, 2020

My final conclusion:

YouTube searches for "gw2 WvW" are mostly roaming videos. I watched it for a long time and added my own experience. Thus wrote this article:

I think a lot of people have misread this article (or my explanation is inaccurate. Another part is the reason why my English is not good)

Roaming is not as decent as it seems. This is because it is impossible for everyone to enter WvW and use selfish roaming equipment/Build. And WvW is an indiscriminate place to fight (unlike the League of Legends game will match similar players)

Many players in WvW may not be familiar with all occupations and skills. Maybe they will only play 1 or 2 occupations. Satisfying the commander's requirements stabilized this occupation.

I did not defend anyone. Just want to express "roaming is not as decent as it seems" roaming players have many admirers. I don't think how high the gold content is for roaming players. I personally think they are experts in making videos (very attractive to viewers)

*edit
    I always feel that I am missing important information:
    90% of roaming players. Most of them are Thief professions. They are notorious roamers. Many have harassed you mainly. If they can't take advantage of you. They will use infinite stealth to escape. *So I have a bad impression of the overall roaming players.

*I think this post. It's like my social experience. I have collected feedback from all parties. Make my mind clearer. I will post another thread to discuss. Come find the answer!

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's fun to watch roaming vids though. Although I know it may not work in a team comp.

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

@KrHome.1920 said:

WvW is mainly a place for large-scale wars.

haha
    There is no problem with this sentence.
    I did not say 100%

Usually the WvW team has at least 10 or more people (large-scale war or guild raid)

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Are you suggesting that 50 people are serving WvW the best when they are running to defend a camp that 1 enemy is trying to cap?

What you remind me is. Camps are usually part of daily tasks. Roaming players use selfish equipment/Build. Ambush in the camp. Many novices and others use equipment/Build that serves the team. Are all taken advantage of~

Roaming players who are more gentlemen are rare. Roaming players are notorious...

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Flee.5602 said:
    Do you think If a 1V1 duel : PvE player PvP player WvW player Who will win the most!

This sentence I want to express is: PvE players only have monsters or NPCs in their minds. PvP players have only 1~5 enemy players in their minds. WvW players only have our commander and team members in their minds or destroy the enemy's phalanx.
    PvE PvP WvW have different ways of thinking.
    (Roaming players belong to the PvP player group)

• Senqu.8054Senqu.8054 Member ✭✭✭

@Flee.5602 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Flee.5602 said:
    Do you think If a 1V1 duel : PvE player PvP player WvW player Who will win the most!

This sentence I want to express is: PvE players only have monsters or NPCs in their minds. PvP players have only 1~5 enemy players in their minds. WvW players only have our commander and team members in their minds or destroy the enemy's phalanx.
    PvE PvP WvW have different ways of thinking.
    (Roaming players belong to the PvP player group)

And that is only your opinion

@Senqu.8054 said:

I didn't say 100%. I don't need to argue with you about coverage.

You are stimulated by this article. So displeased. Misread with extreme thinking.

@Yasai.3549 said:
    I don't even understand why OP is even trying to argue a losing argument.

Yu build like a zergling, yur gonna die like a zergling without being backed up by numbers.
    If yur so unhappy about a random roamer which picked yu off, maybe follow yur zerg better.

This is as stupid as those idiots on SC2 Forums going "OMG TOSS OP" when their 2 Zergling scouts loses to a single Protoss Zealot.

my English is not good. Only read your approximate content. I feel the whole content is full of malicious and extreme.

My English is not very good. I will not be entangled with unimportant content in the future.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Flee.5602 said:

My English is not very good. I will not be entangled with unimportant content in the future.

Then don’t play tangled depths in Heart of Thorns.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• XECOR.2814XECOR.2814 Member ✭✭✭

My experience solo roaming has been people nowadays will try to always outnumber you so there is no way that you can win, if you still beat them then they will come with more and more numbers to chase you through whole map to kill you and then jump on you and siege you. People only want to no effort gank, there are no solo roamers left.
    Best way to play nowadays is make small party of 4-5 with good comp that has synergy and try to farm these people in outnumbered situation as more and more enemy start coming from spawn, look how far you can go.

I let you down. I am proficient in everything in WvW. 10K RANK

OK You are good at sending spam.

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not everyone you see floating around the map is a "roamer" so they might not humor you while you're hopping around trying to kite them into your group creeping around. There's no open world pvp server and WvW action is funneled by design so people with limited play time are going to hit up whatever they can to have fun and fill inventories at the same time and will craft their build with everything in mind and not so much for how they'll look in a heavily edited video with kitten music.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL] & [SD]

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭

@Flee.5602 said:
    WvW is mainly a place for large-scale wars. Therefore, most members choose equipment/Build to serve the team.

If the people you see getting dumpstered 5-on-1 in cherrypicked roaming montage videos had team-oriented builds and gear, they wouldn't be getting dumpstered 5-on-1 by roamers.

IME the people who respond to camps &c. tend to be the folks who "float" in zerg-on-zerg. Their builds often do resemble roaming builds, with personal stun breaks and condition clears, since they're not part of the core sustain-ball comp where FB and Scrapper take care of your survival. A ranger trying to pew-pew the enemy zerg without personal survival tools isn't a team player, they're just a dead ranger.

That or straight-up PVE builds from people who mostly farm dailies.

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2020

Zerg play is more forgiving. A lot of non-twitchers play WvW because;

• They can make friends and have fun with others,
    • Achieve things they couldn't do alone,
    • Contribute to team goals,
    • See enemies actually die - unlike when they're solo/PvP.

GW2 is a twitchy game aimed at youngsters. I blame Amazon's Jon Peters for this, but I'm sure it was a team effort. The fact that they've managed to capture great swathes of older and or less twitchy players is a miracle they should sing the praises of Matt Witter and Mike Ferguson for. Nobody remaining seems to give a flying kitten.

Thief OP? Better nerf Scourge ... again.
    Hashtag BlameMcLain

@Flee.5602 said:

OK You are good at sending spam.

And yet, you didn’t comment on the Zerg leaving solo’s alone..

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Mil.3562Mil.3562 Member ✭✭✭

Did OP get jumped on or killed many times by solo roamers lately?

• kamikharzeeh.8016kamikharzeeh.8016 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2020

@ OP... roaming isn't quite fun anyways since quite some time. most dps got nerfed too much, only mesmer and theif still work for cheap kills, and i'm not a fan of those. warclaw roaming packs and thief guilds are the result of this, ain't fun anymore.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Flee.5602 said:

sPvP players can be outkited by an experienced roamer which knows the terrain well.

Experienced roamers also tend to be really good at utilizing terrain to significant advantage, like knocking people off cliffs, LoSing important skills, and using Glide to straight up escape an unfavourable matchup.

This is why I enjoy WvW roaming over spvp, even though WvW scene has gone to trash.
    There is a level of experience which can serve yu well over pure mechanical skill.

easily the wvw one... wvw roamers probably have about the *10 amount of kills of a spvp one lol. they are not used to the bigger stats too, and they don't know either terrain nor engaging/disengaging spots.
    and outside 1v1, since u can rarely guarantee that in Wvw anyways: spvp are lost hopeless in the format, since many never really learnt to teamwork; it is nearly gambling finding any team in spvp that doesn't just go ham (success highly varying) without much planning or communication..

in silver3 u sometimes can (and have to) take on 3-4 players alone, which works since they're really not good... and to level further my interest just isn't enough. half of the players there are so pepega, it hurts.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mil.3562 said:

Not roamers probably, but just gankers spawn camping with really cheesy sustain builds.

There are some notorious guilds which love to run Scrappers and Soulbeasts with pure sustain builds just bullying Zerglings trying to return to their zerg because they know a zergling can't do enough damage to them before they can kill the Zergling.

People don't really regard these guys as Roamer tbh, even amongst WvW community, because their builds are often pretty trash against actual roaming builds which balances hard spike damage and extreme survivability instead of just bunker trolling Zerglings.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

If anything I wish that small groups of players (and yes, that includes single players, like roamers) could do more, not less. Camps and Sentries are nice but there should be more to contribute without joining a hyperblob.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 15k hours, ~27k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Alisha Kei/Druid(PvE), Terakura/Spellbreaker & Kitty Koume/Reaper(WvW)
    The fun of being a link is tagging up and hearing "who are you?"

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    If anything I wish that small groups of players (and yes, that includes single players, like roamers) could do more, not less. Camps and Sentries are nice but there should be more to contribute without joining a hyperblob.

They actually do.
    Usually when a Zerg goes for keeps and stuff or are defending them, small groups of Roamer go around flipping T3s towers or low ranked Keeps.

But lol what's population balance right?
    Some matchups barely pulls enough people for a zerg, which means alot of their own T3 towers are flipped constantly, losing them points.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

edited June 10, 2020

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

Not roamers probably, but just gankers spawn camping with really cheesy sustain builds.

There are some notorious guilds which love to run Scrappers and Soulbeasts with pure sustain builds just bullying Zerglings trying to return to their zerg because they know a zergling can't do enough damage to them before they can kill the Zergling.

People don't really regard these guys as Roamer tbh, even amongst WvW community, because their builds are often pretty trash against actual roaming builds which balances hard spike damage and extreme survivability instead of just bunker trolling Zerglings.

This is why I never bother to help fight a thief or mes when I am roaming. Many times I have seen a group of 4 to 5 players trying to kill one but only got trolled and wasted a lot of time. These thief or mes gankers are not competitive players but only build for trolling and they will not hestitate to jump on you when they think they outnumbered you but run away in stealth when they are losing and only to come back and troll again.

Zerglings having trouble returning to their zerg was not a problem when ANet give us the mount in WvW a year ago. But over time after many high handled nerfs, the Warclaw is crippled and kinda lost its intended purpose and usefulness when the new developer team (probably mained gankers) decided to take away most of what the original team gave us.

@Mil.3562 said:

(I just discovered this phenomenon and expressed my opinion) Please read the top article. I did not defend anyone.

@Flee.5602 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

(I just discovered this phenomenon and expressed my opinion) Please read the top article. I did not defend anyone.

How is that possible for a player who states:

@Flee.5602 said:

I am proficient in everything in WvW. 10K RANK

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Moradorin.6217Moradorin.6217 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2020

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    @Yasai.3549 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:

They actually do.
    Usually when a Zerg goes for keeps and stuff or are defending them, small groups of Roamer go around flipping T3s towers or low ranked Keeps.

But lol what's population balance right?
    Some matchups barely pulls enough people for a zerg, which means alot of their own T3 towers are flipped constantly, losing them points.

Yep was Yasi said. Roamers are able to take camps, sentries, but for sure also t3 towers and even keeps (if not defended). Some weeks a servers zerg will run around capping allot more than they can defend. When this is happening it can become pretty easy for 1-3 players to go take objectives like towers and keeps when the zerg swaps maps or similar leaving things undefended. Same thing is done in off hours.

It has always seemed to me like in this way roamers and packs can do allot to contribute.

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2020

@Mil.3562 said:

Zerglings having trouble returning to their zerg was not a problem when ANet give us the mount in WvW a year ago. But over time after many high handled nerfs, the Warclaw is crippled and kinda lost its intended purpose and usefulness when the new developer team (probably mained gankers) decided to take away most of what the original team gave us.

If you watched their streams you'd be aware they don't main anything.
    Malicious intent would kinda be an improvement -_-

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2020

Besides being a false dichotomy, templates means there's not really any real excuse. You can instantly change your build and gear to suit the situation. If you refuse, then that's on you.

Though the reason why most roaming videos (or videos in general) are not impressive is because most videos are not impressive. People will cherry pick their wins and some are just doing it for fun as opposed to actually saying they are good or the best. As it turns out, GW2 is just a really boring game to watch.

Also dueling is not roaming. Small groups contribute to WvW just as much by doing things like delaying/killing reinforcements, cutting off supply, and also picking off weak structures, etc. To say that is inherently selfish is nonsensical. I would claim following a zerg of 50 while not contributing is much more selfish (it's not really though; I don't owe anyone anything.)

• acidic.4356acidic.4356 Member ✭✭✭

il just plonk this here then, as its maybe relevant (or not) but has some of the points raised above in it, (chased by zerg, roamer being useful, etc etc, and no i get nothin for views or whatever, and im no streamer either - i just make a video now n then)
    i know my friend @Yasai.3549 likes to watch vids so atleast theres that :)

tbh although i enjoy squad play (if under 20 ppl) i also enjoy roaming and believe i can be useful sometimes, and other times im just wandering round kinda distracted and not doing as much as i could, altho i think i prefer squad play if there is fights to be had, win or lose, its not nearly as fun its simply ppt.

im not entirely sure what the op is asking overall, but for the question about duels, which i believe some pvpers that actually have some experience in wvw would beat roamers in a 1v1, but for the most part roamers would win overall, and then you have an even bigger gap with the pve players obv, with the odd exception perhaps.

dear anet - rollback to year 2 of wvw, and start again.. thankyou.

edited June 12, 2020

@Flee.5602 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

Ok, i can see that you rephrased and added some reverse and defensive comments to your original post after i posted my question. You keep mentioning that your English is not that good, well mine is not good either. I am lazy to edit my first post.

• Zinzon.4081Zinzon.4081 Member ✭✭

@Doug.4930 said:

@Flee.5602 said:

Generally Spvp players win because most WvW players zerg. Spvp vs Roamers isn't really a fair comparison. Builds that are used for roaming can be either not effective or non existent in spvp and vice versa. Roaming and Spvp are completely different and you can't really compare the two.

But when it comes to a duel where the only factor is defeating the other player, I would give the edge to the roamer. In Spvp winning 1v1's isn't as important as team synergy. In spvp you need to know which points to rotate to, which fights to take, when to retreat etc. Spvp at the end of the day is about holding points through clever tactics and working well with your team. The best Spvp players should have tactics that ensure that they take fair fights as infrequently as possible.

But how would you judge this? Many roamers play Spvp and many Spvp players roam. Roaming is probably better practice for dueling because defeating your opponent is your only concern and therefore the only thing you need to focus on to build ability.

Thats ofcourse discounting spvp players who go to dueling lobbies, as thats not really spvp.

I disagree on the roamer > spvp player in 1vs1 as it IS the most important aspect of spvp. If you can't handle a 1vs1 and die, for 30 sec your team must handle a 4vs5. And, that's the simplest to loose the match. After that there is a bunch of notion like, rotation, +1'ing, 1vs2, 1vs2 kiting using environment, builds & role, etc.

Plus, factor in that most of the roamers end up not actually fighting in outnumbered or fair fight. Most of the time it will be more like ganking parties of decent players.

Also the average spvp player will be better than the average roamers from my experience.

• primatos.5413primatos.5413 Member ✭✭✭

What is this all about? Alliances?

• vier.1327vier.1327 Member ✭✭✭

@primatos.5413 said:
    What is this all about? Alliances?

The roaming between Alliances.

• vier.1327vier.1327 Member ✭✭✭

From my point of view, some roamers play the Benny Hill build, try to find a Zerg elementalist or necromancer and one shot them while they are listening to Dubstep, Hardcore or another kind of profane Eurobeat.

If the fight gets rough, they will just run until some structure and find another poor soul.

Is that roaming? I do not know, but it is not fun to play against it.

I think roaming is related with ninja flip camps or keeps, destroy some supplies or kill dolyaks. Kill players just for the video... Meh.

🌝