What build would u suggest me to use in for both WvW and Roaming in small groups?

Sumusikoo.1360

What title says, I just returned to the gsme after 2 year break and im playing with some friends.

I remember I used to play a longbow build that focused on dishing out massive damage with the LB 2 to the point where I would kill almost any squishy profession in a single cast of 2.

It didnt really excell at solo pvp or roaming because it was relatively squishy but it wasnt too bad either given the opportunity to use my 2 properly.

Is there any decent power build right now that i could use for both roaming and still be useful for WvW?

@Hannelore.8153 said:What subclasses do you have access to, Druid, Soulbeast, or just Core Ranger?

I had to delete all my characters to transfer to my friends server so im in a fresh 80 ranger, right now I dont have access to elite specs (druid/soulebast) but ill be running HP runs to unlock soulbeast. Not a fan of support so I doubt ill unlock druid.

@Sumusikoo.1360 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:What subclasses do you have access to, Druid, Soulbeast, or just Core Ranger?

I had to delete all my characters to transfer to my friends server so im in a fresh 80 ranger, right now I dont have access to elite specs (druid/soulebast) but ill be running HP runs to unlock soulbeast. Not a fan of support so I doubt ill unlock druid.

Druid isn't strictly played as support, their heals work on themselves and they're a strong roaming class because of that. Similarly, Soulbeast can be played as full support as well (via Stances), just like Core Ranger can with Commands and Spirits.

Anyways, for a Core Ranger you're best sticking with a Shortbow or Longbow, and a mix of Survival and Trap skills. Greatswords, Swords and Axes are okay for roaming but may be too risky to use in group fights--it all depends on how experienced you are in "pushing."

Your main contribution to groups is Immobilise and Cripple to slow your enemies so your allies can run over them.

Ranger has many different ways to do this, including LB Barrage, Muddy Terrain, Stone Spirit (activated skill), Signet of the Wild, Entangle (Elite skill) and a trait that creates Muddy Terrain from #6 healing skill as well. Other forms of CC like Spike Trap and Frost Trap and Frost Spirit (activated skill) are also good. Just beware that some of them have activation times and aren't suitable for pushes.

Various pets can aid in this role as well: Some have pull and other CC, Jacaranda can also root foes. Fanged Iboga can rip people off of fort walls into your group and destroy them quickly.

Characters can carry two equipment sets. You'll want one to be DPS set for roaming, (Berserker, Assassin for crits, Rampager for condis) and one hybrid set for groups (usually Knight+Cavalier, Valkyrie+Captain or Marauder, depending on what you have access to). As mentioned you can mix and match various sets to achieve the stat distrbution that you're looking for.

@"Sumusikoo.1360" said:What title says, I just returned to the gsme after 2 year break and im playing with some friends.

I remember I used to play a longbow build that focused on dishing out massive damage with the LB 2 to the point where I would kill almost any squishy profession in a single cast of 2.

It didnt really excell at solo pvp or roaming because it was relatively squishy but it wasnt too bad either given the opportunity to use my 2 properly.

Is there any decent power build right now that i could use for both roaming and still be useful for WvW?

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Dual_Axe_Roamer

This build could be of help, with Leader of the Pack, birds and warhorn you can be of help to your group, it does not have very high damage but you will play your part without problems.The build you mentioned is still usable even if the dps is lower but it is not recommended for team fights, they hardly end quickly it is better to use a build that guarantees a more sustained dps with a good defense.

tanky condi builds would perform best imo. you can run a Dire/Apothecary or Trailblazer condition Soulbeast. it has a ton of support, damage, survivability, and decent mobility (although there's Warclaw now).I've been really let down by power ranger builds for roaming. I feel other classes do it so much better. But we can condi bunker extremely well.

@mistsim.2748 said:tanky condi builds would perform best imo. you can run a Dire/Apothecary or Trailblazer condition Soulbeast. it has a ton of support, damage, survivability, and decent mobility (although there's Warclaw now).I've been really let down by power ranger builds for roaming. I feel other classes do it so much better. But we can condi bunker extremely well.

Power in general have been reduced (coefficients), so it is harder to deal hard damage and especially to do a burst. Condition damage work better as Ranger have bleed, poison (which reduce healing and regen) and a lot of ways to Immobilize. You should look up the new pets (where to find them) and get them as Iboga can dish out Confusion, make a pull (maybe also interrupt - which there are sigils that can be used for getting procs) and some other things that those new pets can do. When you have Soulbeast you can merge and get 3 new skills (instead of Pet skills) that are really handy. Some work as teleport/mobility skills.

There is also Stances (skills from Soulbeast profession). Healing skill that during activation also eat all condition is rather good and have a good base heal (w/o any healing attribute). Stanses in general offer a combination of skills that can be useful in WvW as in PvE (especially in Drizzelwood Coast). I would take stab (Dolyak Stance) as there really are heavy knockdown, pulls even in the new content. It will not prevent all of these CCs, but reduce the time you get knocked around.

As for Warclaw. You will need movement abilities or at least Swiftness as if you are put into combat mode, then you can not summon Warclaw (it also have internal cooldown).

Ranger (Druid and Soulbeast) have better option then Guards or Mesmer. Mesmer lack control abilites (outside of core skills) and Guardian (Fire based condition) need to keep target in place to make use of its hardest condition skill. Invest in Ascended Viper and Trailblazer as a base and you should be good in any combination with Condition based damage.

Don't forget that you can rather easy trinkets from Bloodstone Fen (back, ring and accessory). There are some other maps that also offer ascended trinkets for map currency, so it shouldn't be hard to get those. Armour is harder to get in ascended (or legendary) tier, but you should manage to get exotic at least (there are some items on TP that have quad stats like TB - those are from last Festival so a bit more expensive because of skin and that it is quad attribute).

@mistsim.2748 said:tanky condi builds would perform best imo. you can run a Dire/Apothecary or Trailblazer condition Soulbeast. it has a ton of support, damage, survivability, and decent mobility (although there's Warclaw now).I've been really let down by power ranger builds for roaming. I feel other classes do it so much better. But we can condi bunker extremely well.

Glad to see I am not the only one noticing it....it has become impossible to deal with thieves using power builds alone, not enough burst even using sic em builds, not enough dmg to count between one stealth jump and another

let me present you the ultimate pewpew build for ranger!i name it the "target destroyer".

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlRw2YgsMmJOyL2P9SmWRA-zVIYRU9PGtrgKpg7B-w

you can switch for rune of the pack instead of rune of rage for more damage if your group can't give you enough might or if you have trouble managing your fury.otherwise rage rune deal more damage (if under fury and doing crits).siamouth is the best pet for soulbeast pewpew. amazing breakstun with invulnerability (good vs retaliation) and very good charge attack. its f1 can deal around 10K with the correct buff. its animal ability can also give you some sweet buffs or invisibility!but you can still take jacaranda for team heal and extra AOE damage or smokescale for extra ompf and smoke field.brown bear can be an alternative too but imo is a less interesting choice.!!! keep in mind that if you dont play with the siamouth you can't take signet of the hunt because you will need at least one breakstun !!!(only the signet of the hunt, and maybe the heal ability may be traded for another ability. the rest is mandatory for the pewpew to deal frightening damage. as such you should NEVER activate signet of the wild unless you know what you are doing and really need that immobilization. )

scholar rune is a no go since you will get hurt from retaliation or surprise projectile reflection.

if you don't care about survivability you can take hunter gaze trait instead of stoneform trait.sharpened edge trait don't deal enough damage but you can still take it instead of primal reflexe.

signet of the hunt is highly underrated. it make you able to burst down any thief, war, quard, etc trying to block or reflect your pewpew.but in its stead lightning reflexe, moa stance, quickening zephyr and signet of renewal are good alternatives.

instead of greatsword, you can take sword/warhorn. it is especially good when fighting in bus or large roaming group. but if you are alone or in a little group consider greatsword instead. it is better at 1v1 situation.

both sigil of force and sigil of air are extremely good. but you can trade one of them for a sigil of bloodlust if you like. (which i did)

Edit: you should always stay in soulbeast mode as much has possible but sometimes having the pet running around can be helpfull too. expecially if it has powerfull abilities.

happy pewpewing!