Greatswords and Hammers - Melee Juggernauts

Fargas.6251

Which profession would give me the fantasy of being an up close melee juggernaut? Heavy hitting hits. I don’t know yet if want mobility or utility as my side job. I know that I want to be smacking things with a huge sword or a huge hammer.

I’m guessing that narrows it to Warrior, Guardian, Revenant or Scrapper. How do each of these classes put their smack down, mechanically speaking?

Revenant's Hammer is a ranged weapon. Just saying.

Hammer for Warrior and Guardian both suck.

Scrapper can be quite tanky while smacking things with a Hammer though only their auto attacks and skill 3 actually swing the hammer (Skill 2 puts a spinning AoE around you, skill 4 is a block that has some lightning and skill 5 is a lightning field)

Guardian can hit things a bunch with Greatsword and can be pretty survivable. It does have the caveat of being very magical in its gameplay. With skill 2 flinging magical projectiles around, skill 4 being stabbing the ground to put down a Symbol to deal the damage and skill 5 sends out magical chains to enemies.

Warrior smacks stuff with nearly all of its Greatsword skills, the only one they don't is skill 4 because they're busy throwing their GS at the enemy instead. As far as tankiness goes, Spellbreaker can be pretty tanky and the spec's caveat of only having access to level 1 bursts is not a problem for Greatsword either since its damage doesn't scale with adrenaline (Only the Fury duration is affected).

Given your specifications, I'd probably pick:

Warrior greatsword (any elite spec) — big hits, lots of charging at enemies. (You can also use the charge to run away, in a pinch.) IIRC Axe/Axe is slightly more favored for DPS in PVE.Reaper greastword — big slow swings, obviously supernatual but you're still very much whacking enemies with a sword (unlike Mesmer, which makes shiny lasers come out of it) — you just might levitate or conjure shadowy claws as part of the animation. Standard Reaper weapon in basically every Reaper build. (Note that your shroud form is a scythe, tho.)

If you have a character slot open, you can try out all the professions in the little SPvP test area, immediately upon completing the tutorial level. You'll have access to every skill and trait line and there's a guy who sells dummy versions of any weapon for like 4 silver. That should be enough to give you a feel for the flow and animations, at least.

The closest thing to your description is warrior GS. Hammer too.

Rev hammer is ranged.Guardian GS is magic (most guardian skills are while/light blue magic theme). Guardian hammer is somewhat.

Try to play warrior with elite berserker and GS. I think this is what you are looking for.

Power soulbeast with greatsword fits the definition very well. Maul is pretty much literal overhead smash and auto-attacks are really heavy yet natural and it also does quite good damage (higher than any of previously presented options). If using Rock Gazelle merge, the F-skills are also very heavy-looking (big kick, massive stomp and rush if Kitty remembers correctly). And it has a big leap and big-looking block (followed by another kick).E: And to make it even bigger, max. size charr Soulbeast with Dark Harvest (Reaper elite specialization collection weapon) is probably biggest thing you can find.

I would have never thought to consider ranger in this list. The idea of a pet didn’t appeal at first, but it might be worth a try. Especially finding that Soupbeast cuts out the pet for the most part. Would you say they take a lockdown role in a given PvP situation? Picking a priority target and sticking to them til they’re dead?