As a player, seeing bots in PvP is a sad indication that Anet simply do not care enough. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

As a player, seeing bots in PvP is a sad indication that Anet simply do not care enough.

What more is there to say? If I can't be guaranteed so much as human teammates in ranked PvP, why bother playing? Anet, how do you hope to attract and retain new players if something like this isn't even addressed as a 'problem'? I find at least 1 Mesmer bot every 7 games or so, which is enough to kill my motivation to queue for a game for the rest of the day. Not only do they ruin the match for 4 people, but the person responsible for the bot is actually benefitting from the match win OR loss. As a player, I'm no longer interested in spending any more time on the game if this is the state of things since clearly Anet has little interest in making sure that game progress and player experience can never be appropriated by third-party applications. If the devs don't care about the game, why should players feel any differently?

Comments

  • georgessj.4198georgessj.4198 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

    @Dantheman.4190 said:
    What more is there to say? If I can't be guaranteed so much as human teammates in ranked PvP, why bother playing? Anet, how do you hope to attract and retain new players if something like this isn't even addressed as a 'problem'? I find at least 1 Mesmer bot every 7 games or so, which is enough to kill my motivation to queue for a game for the rest of the day. Not only do they ruin the match for 4 people, but the person responsible for the bot is actually benefitting from the match win OR loss. As a player, I'm no longer interested in spending any more time on the game if this is the state of things since clearly Anet has little interest in making sure that game progress and player experience can never be appropriated by third-party applications. If the devs don't care about the game, why should players feel any differenly?

    Most bot threads have 0 to 5 replies. Nerf this or nerf that kind of threads get 100-300 replies.So its not only arena that doesnt care.......People in platinum ignore these threads but they dont know that Gold right now is full of bots they will soon reach plat due to the high 5 vs 5 bots games and then they will remember to care and a few months later arena will remember to also ^care^ .Every day people switch to botting since its not banable and i cant blame them.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Vishnok.7059Vishnok.7059 Member ✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    That wouldnt work because....bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vishnok.7059 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    That wouldnt work because....bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

    halving (at least) the rewards would have an effect.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • skillze.7689skillze.7689 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

    While gold is available in pvp, bots will always be present. They should use a pvp currency and make all rewards in pvp account bound items. Its much easier to track account sharing/selling than tracking gold.

  • Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Gw1pvp is nothing but bots i hear so it seems its only natural that gw2 follows suit i guess.
    If you at all lucky to get into a game of pvp in gw1 its a garrentee youll be against a full team of bots.

  • Ziggityzog.7389Ziggityzog.7389 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Oh they havent cared about pvp in at least 5 years before this last maybe 4 months of work.

    Sadly this is a cash game. All they care about is flashy pve skins to sell. Who cares about pvp when it doesnt bring in the $$$

  • Tayga.3192Tayga.3192 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

    @Ziggityzog.7389 said:
    Sadly this is a cash game. All they care about is flashy pve skins to sell. Who cares about pvp when it doesnt bring in the $$$

    Can you blame them? It's not like Arenanet is some kind of charity.

  • Aihao.5824Aihao.5824 Member ✭✭✭

    @Vishnok.7059 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    That wouldnt work because....bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

    and what is the most fun, before feb patch there wasnt such problem

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @skillze.7689 said:
    While gold is available in pvp, bots will always be present. They should use a pvp currency and make all rewards in pvp account bound items. Its much easier to track account sharing/selling than tracking gold.

    while gold is available in gw2, bots will always be present.

    people that run bot programs don't do farms that are ineffective. halving (again, at least) the potential gold gain would likely make most botters go find another more productive farm.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    And then you'd have more actual players stopping to play PvP than the number of bots that stop being in PvP.
    Do you really want that?
    Many (if not even most) of current PvP players are there for the goodies, not for PvP itself.

  • Khalisto.5780Khalisto.5780 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yesteeday i got a mesmer bot, this bot uses offline status so you dont dodge it

    My only solution to that is exploit the exploit, as soon as i know this bot is online i q up as its class trying to mirror it in the other team and get free wins

  • KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

    Guild Wars 2

    • is free to play
    • does not require costy unique informations like a validated telephone number for account creation
    • has a reward system that rewards players for playing and not just winning

    It's inevitable that this will result in excessive botting.

    @Vishnok.7059 said:
    bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

    If bots are climbing above silver then the game's pvp is dead anyway because the playerbase has become so low and so incredibly bad at the game that it doesn't matter anymore.

  • Strider.7849Strider.7849 Member ✭✭✭

    The more dumbed down the game gets, i.e. the nonstop calling for nerfs that are leading to excessive cooldowns and skills that are not very impactful or game changing, the more bots you'll see and the higher ranks they'll be able to achieve.

    Bots climbing above silver are not just an indication to a lack of population, it's also that the game has been dumbed down and slowed down enough that a script can achieve the same success as the average player.

  • Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

    not only in pvp.
    Pve is full of them too.

    And they start to populate the wvw-maps

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    And then you'd have more actual players stopping to play PvP than the number of bots that stop being in PvP.
    Do you really want that?
    Many (if not even most) of current PvP players are there for the goodies, not for PvP itself.

    well, you could double the win rewards.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    And then you'd have more actual players stopping to play PvP than the number of bots that stop being in PvP.
    Do you really want that?
    Many (if not even most) of current PvP players are there for the goodies, not for PvP itself.

    well, you could double the win rewards.

    That doesn't help.
    If said people don't get participation rewards, they don't bother trying.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    And then you'd have more actual players stopping to play PvP than the number of bots that stop being in PvP.
    Do you really want that?
    Many (if not even most) of current PvP players are there for the goodies, not for PvP itself.

    well, you could double the win rewards.

    That doesn't help.
    If said people don't get participation rewards, they don't bother trying.

    i doubt there is a large portion of the player base farming pvp for participation rewards, since pve is way more lucrative.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    i doubt there is a large portion of the player base farming pvp for participation rewards, since pve is way more lucrative.

    It's certainly not a large part of the entire playerbase.
    But for PvP it's most likely quite a substantial percentage.

  • megilandil.7506megilandil.7506 Member ✭✭✭

    @Aihao.5824 said:

    @Vishnok.7059 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    That wouldnt work because....bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

    and what is the most fun, before feb patch there wasnt such problem

    Lol, how delusional, those bots are around for some years, problem is if they are not baned and publicaly baned, more people are considering to join the bot army and that is that is hapening

    and one form of adress this issue and others like hacks or exploiting is publishing a permanent thread of "wall of shame", comunicating all acounts terminated or sanctioned for breaking the rules, this way peopple knows that breaking rules have a "prize"

  • Domino.1359Domino.1359 Member ✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    i doubt there is a large portion of the player base farming pvp for participation rewards, since pve is way more lucrative.

    It's certainly not a large part of the entire playerbase.
    But for PvP it's most likely quite a substantial percentage.

    Exactly. The PvP base has always been small, especially after so many players have walked away these past few years from it. So now, it is very apparent who and how many are bots compared to actual players.

  • Aihao.5824Aihao.5824 Member ✭✭✭

    @megilandil.7506 said:

    @Aihao.5824 said:

    @Vishnok.7059 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    That wouldnt work because....bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

    and what is the most fun, before feb patch there wasnt such problem

    Lol, how delusional, those bots are around for some years, problem is if they are not baned and publicaly baned, more people are considering to join the bot army and that is that is hapening

    and one form of adress this issue and others like hacks or exploiting is publishing a permanent thread of "wall of shame", comunicating all acounts terminated or sanctioned for breaking the rules, this way peopple knows that breaking rules have a "prize"

    dunno actually, but i didnt meet them earlier at the same mmr.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    i doubt there is a large portion of the player base farming pvp for participation rewards, since pve is way more lucrative.

    It's certainly not a large part of the entire playerbase.
    But for PvP it's most likely quite a substantial percentage.

    ye well things should be tried. trial and error. we could all throw up our hands and say it won't work, so nothing gets tried and pvp continues to deteriorate.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ziggityzog.7389 said:
    Oh they havent cared about pvp in at least 5 years before this last maybe 4 months of work.

    Sadly this is a cash game. All they care about is flashy pve skins to sell. Who cares about pvp when it doesnt bring in the $$$

    What skins? The cash shop is a barren desert. I don't even think they have an art team anymore.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    i doubt there is a large portion of the player base farming pvp for participation rewards, since pve is way more lucrative.

    It's certainly not a large part of the entire playerbase.
    But for PvP it's most likely quite a substantial percentage.

    ye well things should be tried. trial and error. we could all throw up our hands and say it won't work, so nothing gets tried and pvp continues to deteriorate.

    It's not so much trial and error as it is alienating players from PvP that possibly will never touch the mode again.
    Even keeping PvP as stale as it was before the February patch and changing nothing would have been the superior to said February patch.
    Whenever they touch PvP, it gets worse and even more people leave the mode.

  • Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I came back to the game after quitting for over a year due to the feb patch, so I disagree.

  • Aktium.9506Aktium.9506 Member ✭✭✭

    Is this an NA thing?

    Because I haven't seen any bots in PvP at proper ranks. I know there were bots farming PvP in bronze/silver like a year ago or two when one guy exposed some of them having like 2581/2634 win/loss ratios for a single season when they added the bots as friends. But I don't think I've run into any myself.

    Haven't seen any hackers either in PvP for a long time. Last time I saw one it was in WvW where a Warrior with Rifle was teleporting around while charging Killshots and going invisible.

  • Dantheman.3589Dantheman.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020

    @Aktium.9506 said:
    Is this an NA thing?

    Because I haven't seen any bots in PvP at proper ranks. I know there were bots farming PvP in bronze/silver like a year ago or two when one guy exposed some of them having like 2581/2634 win/loss ratios for a single season when they added the bots as friends. But I don't think I've run into any myself.

    Haven't seen any hackers either in PvP for a long time. Last time I saw one it was in WvW where a Warrior with Rifle was teleporting around while charging Killshots and going invisible.

    Not really. I haven’t seen any substantive bot claims on NA in awhile. Tbh the sad reality is that many will just claim someone is a bot becuz they think they play bad. However Eu does have many cases of pointing out players in leader board with an absurdly high number of matches on discord’s as possible bots due to doubts of ppl having 1k games 1.5 weeks into season, but hey those might still be incorrect so it’s not really even an actual thing on either region
    Edit: as far as I know the hacker thing is kindof an Na thing, didn’t see u mention that at first. But this is a bot thread

  • georgessj.4198georgessj.4198 Member ✭✭✭

    If bots are climbing above silver then the game's pvp is dead

    WTH did you just type here? Gold is full of bots there are so many 5bots vs 5 bots that soon they will reach plat.

  • @Aktium.9506 said:
    Is this an NA thing?
    Because I haven't seen any bots in PvP at proper ranks.

    Same here. What I see is increasing bot-histeria and players accusing other players to be bots ingame.

    Haven't seen any hackers either in PvP

    Same here. Few days ago a DE thief said he reports me for match manipulation because he couldnt hit me with his projectiles.
    After the match I wanted to explain him, that I just used magnetic aura but he had blocked me already.

    If there are bots in Gw2 PvP I am pretty sure they must be very bad and not higher than bronze level.
    If there are hackers in PvP they must be very rare.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    i doubt there is a large portion of the player base farming pvp for participation rewards, since pve is way more lucrative.

    It's certainly not a large part of the entire playerbase.
    But for PvP it's most likely quite a substantial percentage.

    ye well things should be tried. trial and error. we could all throw up our hands and say it won't work, so nothing gets tried and pvp continues to deteriorate.

    It's not so much trial and error as it is alienating players from PvP that possibly will never touch the mode again.
    Even keeping PvP as stale as it was before the February patch and changing nothing would have been the superior to said February patch.
    Whenever they touch PvP, it gets worse and even more people leave the mode.

    most of the changes have been fine, its just that they take so dam long to fix things.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Rukia.4802Rukia.4802 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Vishnok.7059 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    turn off or severely limit rewards for loss.

    That wouldnt work because....bots win matches...yes they do...some bots are like gold players...using bot doesnt necesarilly mean loss...they win too

    halving (at least) the rewards would have an effect.

    History has shown that all this does is punish legit players since bots don't care or have time limits.

    Here's a wild idea, instead of screwing over the legit playerbase, simply ban the bots? idk hehe

    GW2 need list:
    GW1 Assassin elite spec
    Option to hide party/squad nameplate
    Particle effect slider/ability to turn friendly player effects off

  • Megametzler.5729Megametzler.5729 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020

    @Dantheman.3589 said:

    @Aktium.9506 said:
    Is this an NA thing?

    Because I haven't seen any bots in PvP at proper ranks. I know there were bots farming PvP in bronze/silver like a year ago or two when one guy exposed some of them having like 2581/2634 win/loss ratios for a single season when they added the bots as friends. But I don't think I've run into any myself.

    Haven't seen any hackers either in PvP for a long time. Last time I saw one it was in WvW where a Warrior with Rifle was teleporting around while charging Killshots and going invisible.

    Not really. I haven’t seen any substantive bot claims on NA in awhile. Tbh the sad reality is that many will just claim someone is a bot becuz they think they play bad. However Eu does have many cases of pointing out players in leader board with an absurdly high number of matches on discord’s as possible bots due to doubts of ppl having 1k games 1.5 weeks into season, but hey those might still be incorrect so it’s not really even an actual thing on either region
    Edit: as far as I know the hacker thing is kindof an Na thing, didn’t see u mention that at first. But this is a bot thread

    Not at proper ranks in EU either. I have seen some very bad players in unranked, where some people accused them of being bots. Just the other day I whispered one of those and we talked a little about him being new and all that. He was actually quite nice and the blaming discouraged him, I hope I could motivate him a little...

    Also just a few hackers in the last year.

    I think some people are just plain wrong about the actual numbers of bots and hackers.

    €: Don't know about gold/silver, but even in unranked, it doesn't seem to happen that often.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rukia.4802 said:
    History has shown that all this does is punish legit players since bots don't care or have time limits.

    Here's a wild idea, instead of screwing over the legit playerbase, simply ban the bots? idk hehe

    you call a player who grinds for kitten rewards in pvp a legit player? lol. you would have to hire someone to mash the delete account button if there is a good farm somewhere. which would be pointless.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Rukia.4802 said:
    History has shown that all this does is punish legit players since bots don't care or have time limits.

    Here's a wild idea, instead of screwing over the legit playerbase, simply ban the bots? idk hehe

    you call a player who grinds for kitten rewards in pvp a legit player? lol. you would have to hire someone to mash the delete account button if there is a good farm somewhere. which would be pointless.

    What a legit player for you then?
    Exclusively the players who play PvP for the enjoyment of stomping others (who possibly are far less than 1% of the PvP players by now)?

  • Rukia.4802Rukia.4802 Member ✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Rukia.4802 said:
    History has shown that all this does is punish legit players since bots don't care or have time limits.

    Here's a wild idea, instead of screwing over the legit playerbase, simply ban the bots? idk hehe

    you call a player who grinds for kitten rewards in pvp a legit player? lol. you would have to hire someone to mash the delete account button if there is a good farm somewhere. which would be pointless.

    No one wants to play a mode with no good rewards. GW1 was huge on rewards in pvp to make money and skins while far more successful in pvp than GW2 due to superior design I doubt half as many would have played with garbage rewards. Try running an esport tournament without rewards and lemme know how that goes.

    If I didn't make gold in spvp I wouldn't even play at this point because the competitive aspect just doesn't exist anymore and I rather farm pvp than pve anyday of the week, doesn't mean I try any less to win the match.

    GW2 need list:
    GW1 Assassin elite spec
    Option to hide party/squad nameplate
    Particle effect slider/ability to turn friendly player effects off

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753
    @Rukia.4802

    i'll never understand why people do things exclusively for rewards. for me its always been secondary to enjoying the game.

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    @Fueki.4753
    @Rukia.4802

    i'll never understand why people do things exclusively for rewards. for me its always been secondary to enjoying the game.

    Seeing as Arenanet removed the last remnants of enjoyment out of pvp in February, there is nothing left but the rewards.