New Laptop for GW2

Hello everybody,I need a new laptop for uni and have been thinking of the Lenovo Thinkpads as they seem very reliable (especially the T or E Series). I've been wondering though If they will be able to play GW2 ok? I would be fine with playing on low settings. The new Thinkpads with Amd Ryzen 7 4000 seem great but most of them have only integrated graphics, will this be a problem or not an issue? Thank you for your help!

@sara.6042 said:I need a new laptop for uni and have been thinking of the Lenovo Thinkpads as they seem very reliable (especially the T or E Series).nop they fail, as my vison. If you like get pleasure you need game laptop, for choose from dell alienware or titan msi and others valid brands.

I've been wondering though If they will be able to play GW2 ok?it is playbly on good laptop? yes.

I would be fine with playing on low settings. The new Thinkpads with Amd Ryzen 7 4000 seem great but most of them have only integrated graphics, will this be a problem or not an issue?this is very budget choose. If you liek paly - you need think twice before choose low/mid end.

The Vega 8 iGPU (512 shader @ 1750 MHz) in the higher end Ryzen 4000 laptops should be enough for GW2. It is even better than the old Vega 11 in the Ryzen 3000 laptops.

You should make sure to buy a laptop with two memory sticks to be able to enable dual channel mode for your memory. Integrated graphics chips don't use dedicated memory but the slow system memory and so are all memory bandwith bound and you should provide as much bandwith as possible with at least dual channel DDR4 3000 if you want to use the full potential of the iGPU.

laptop and gaming is always a bad mix, laptops have poor cooling because they are designed for portability, battery life is usually atrocious, and by having the battery constantly plugged to the wall it the battery is charging and discharging at the same time the battery will die faster compare to regular business / study use

I play on a Dell XPS 15 that I purchased in 2018. It has an Intel i7-8750H CPU, 16GB of RAM and GeForce GTX 1050Ti. The game runs great for me. I play in 1920x1080 with near max settings, but with the number of characters rendered at "low". When there are a lot of players on screen I hit about 30fps, but in most areas of the game I have about 55-60 fps.

The Dell XPS doesn't have great thermals since it is a thin and light laptop, and even though my CPU is undervolted I still reach about 95 degrees on my CPU cores at certain times. Also, playing seems to drain my battery while playing (plugged in). You can find a work around of the discharge-recharge cycle with software solutions though. My batter does not begin charging until it drops under 50% and stops charging at 97%. I probably go through a half-charge cycle once a month.

I don't know what your budget is, or how much portability you are looking for, but I am sure you can find more-affordable laptops with the same or similar components, and maybe even better thermal solutions now that the CPU, etc. are already a couple years old. But playing on a laptop is definitely doable. Good luck!

@"Zoricus.2439" said:picked up a Legion Y740. Love it. Up side - tons of new tech/price/plays almost anything at max settings Downside- not super portable, power brick is oddly shaped, runs warm

That's pretty much every "gaming" laptop.

@"sara.6042" said:Hello everybody,I need a new laptop for uni and have been thinking of the Lenovo Thinkpads as they seem very reliable (especially the T or E Series). I've been wondering though If they will be able to play GW2 ok? I would be fine with playing on low settings. The new Thinkpads with Amd Ryzen 7 4000 seem great but most of them have only integrated graphics, will this be a problem or not an issue? Thank you for your help!

AFAIK, the T and P Series (and W, if you go used) ThinkPads have a fantastic reputation. They're business-oriented, though, so you'd likely have to go with some super high-end model to get a good GPU. At that point they're either pretty expensive or pretty old. I got a used W540 last year over something new because for the specs I cared about (HiDPI screen, lots of RAM and internal storage bays) it was something like 1/5 the cost of a new machine. Of course, a new machine would've had a way better CPU & GPU, but "1/5 the cost" is pretty compelling when you just want something to explore Linux with.

I don't know about specifically the ThinkPads with a Risen 4000u, but as I understand it, in general the 4000u is kinda the king of the "normal" laptop CPUs right now, as long as you get one with dual channel memory.

Guildwars2 is a game that runs with the processor mainly.Coupled with that, guildwars2 is mainly build to work with one specific core of the processor.

So if u have 8 cores with each 2ghz or 4 cores with 4ghz, then the 4stronger cores will make it run much smoother (cuz they have stronger single cores)

keep that in mind.

I often run gw2 on low settings on the following specs with 20+fps in most cases on my laptop- i5 3rd gen 2.6ghz duo core. 6Gb ddr3 ram and a geforce 610m gpu. I can assure you the ryzen onboard gpu will be much more powerfull.

I‘d say both machines should be perfectly capable of running gw2 on low-med settings.

I’d say pick the one that will suit your studies better. Happy gaming!

@sara.6042 said:Hello everybody,I need a new laptop for uni and have been thinking of the Lenovo Thinkpads as they seem very reliable (especially the T or E Series). I've been wondering though If they will be able to play GW2 ok? I would be fine with playing on low settings. The new Thinkpads with Amd Ryzen 7 4000 seem great but most of them have only integrated graphics, will this be a problem or not an issue? Thank you for your help!

Just throwing this out there too - Nvidia Geoforce NOW works well with GW2 if you have the bandwidth/internet for it. Heard people running max settings just fine on a 2013 laptop.