Your new servers cannot even support world bosses like Teq — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Your new servers cannot even support world bosses like Teq

Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2020 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I did teq for 5 years, zero latency lag. Now you get tons of lag anywhere on the map when doing teq.

If your new servers cannot even support your games content, then your servers are not functional for your game. It's time to revert back to your old servers and not downgrading just to save costs, unless you think saving costs is worth losing players who won't play a game that's a laggy mess in any big meta event.

Big open world meta events is one of the unique things of your game, and it's main selling points. Your servers cannot support such content, that's bad.

Fix it.

<1

Comments

• Shikoba.6378Shikoba.6378 Member ✭✭

Maybe the server end reacts to new hardware like the client end.

• Jilora.9524Jilora.9524 Member ✭✭✭

Wvw and pve are different as I see many in WvW forums but I still say I don't have lag in either so it's something else then servers but a few more still don't prove anything as no one makes threads about having no lag

WvW band wagoners ruin the game mode just like Karen's ruin these forums.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:
    Wvw and pve are different as I see many in WvW forums but I still say I don't have lag in either so it's something else then servers but a few more still don't prove anything as no one makes threads about having no lag

So... I take it you’ve never done a three way in a keep or in SMC.

A few more? Type ‘lag’ in the search engine this forum has. Or maybe, since it doesn’t affect you, then it doesn’t exist?

Good luck to you.

Of course. 60 v 60 v 60 no lag. I said his exp not everyone's and he complained about WB and now you swapping to WvW like there the same. And Just because you have lag doesn't mean everyone has lag and at no point did I say lag doesn't exist so plz don't respond if you just gonna make stuff up ty.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

A few more? Type ‘lag’ in the search engine this forum has. Or maybe, since it doesn’t affect you, then it doesn’t exist?

Good luck to you.

Of course. 60 v 60 v 60 no lag. I said his exp not everyone's and he complained about WB and now you swapping to WvW like there the same. And Just because you have lag doesn't mean everyone has lag and at no point did I say lag doesn't exist so plz don't respond if you just gonna make stuff up ty.

The threads I linked were from both WvW and PvE. Where have I ‘made stuff up’?

And I will agree ‘everyone’ isn’t complaining. I directed you to a search that produced over 50 unique threads discussing lag in both PvE and WvW.

Your initial post essentially discounted his experience as just him. I simply pointed out that there are far more people in BOTH modes complaining about lag than you may think.

I also suggested you type ‘lag’ into the search engine on the forums if you wished to see what others have complained about.

You can choose to do so or to not to.

Hopefully your day gets better.

It's right in the same sentence. I really don't get the anger. I said his exp is not everyone's. That isn't some crazy statement. He blames the new servers which is possible I guess but all I did is ask if other changes and somehow drew your ire. I don't have to seach for lag I said why isn't every one else a Teq and WB not on here complaining. And your condescending Hope your day gets better just stop. You obviously having the bad day overreacting to someone that wasn't even talking to you.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

Good luck to you.

The threads I linked were from both WvW and PvE. Where have I ‘made stuff up’?

And I will agree ‘everyone’ isn’t complaining. I directed you to a search that produced over 50 unique threads discussing lag in both PvE and WvW.

Your initial post essentially discounted his experience as just him. I simply pointed out that there are far more people in BOTH modes complaining about lag than you may think.

I also suggested you type ‘lag’ into the search engine on the forums if you wished to see what others have complained about.

You can choose to do so or to not to.

Hopefully your day gets better.

It's right in the same sentence. I really don't get the anger.

Not sure where you get I am angry. 🙂

I said his exp is not everyone's.

I didn’t dispute this.

That isn't some crazy statement. He blames the new servers which is possible I guess

See? We agree on something

but all I did is ask if other changes and somehow drew your ire.

Again, there is no ire. Not sure why you would infer that.

I don't have to seach for lag I said why isn't every one else a Teq and WB not on here complaining.

Less than 5% of players frequent the forum.

And your condescending Hope your day gets better just stop.

Threats aren’t cool. I will refrain from wishing you a good day.

You obviously having the bad day overreacting to someone that wasn't even talking to you.

Nope. Day has been great. Mid 80’s and full time work.

And.. It was reacting to your post. Not you. I don’t take the forums personally. It isn’t worth it. I respond to posts.

I'll address the threats? You know the hope your day gets better was condescending. Wishing me a good day is different so don't play coy. You assumed I'd had a bad day for w/e reason.
    The anger and ire is twice you jump on me over the lag I don't exp. Maybe it's you just jealous I don't get lag who knows.
    Idk man I'm on the same servers as far as I know doubt it's Verizon cable or my 7 yr old computer.

• Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    The 'servers' aren't new. ArenaNet changed from their own NCSoft servers to Amazon servers a few years ago.
    What's changed, possibly, is the amount of traffic, recently, on the internet.
    What might be informative is if all those experiencing lag are routed through the same Tier 1 backbone (there's only a few backbones).

It's new, because I haven't played the game for a year and just came back. These servers do not work for the amount of players allowed in maps right now and they need to fix it by reducing the max amount of players that can be in a single map.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Same servers from a year ago, from 2 years ago, and more.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

Guild Wars 2 partially moved to AWS with the release of Path of Fire, for a time they used both old and new servers simultaneously and eventually moved everything on the new servers over the following months. The new hardware has been in use for 2 and a half years.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gametech/arenanet-guild-wars-mmorpg-migration/

edited June 24, 2020

Explain the constant lag complaints then?
    Its only with lots of players on a map.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the WvW lag, but I can't say i've had any issues with Teq..

• misterman.1530misterman.1530 Member ✭✭✭

I guarantee that nothing is running on servers from "2 years ago". Software updates, hardware updates/changes/fixes. All these things make it certain that the servers from 2 years ago have been replaced. Especially at Amazon. Odds are there are both dedicated, physical servers and virtual servers. Not sure which ones GW2 use, but they have certainly been tweaked and modifed from what they were 2 years ago.

• Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

The servers, old and new, have always lagged during events with high concentrations of active players. Tequatl at reset (NA) in the #1 map will always lag while everyone is spamming skills for example, but outside of that, not so much. Server lag will affect the entire instance and everyone in it.

If going back to NCSoft was an option (they closed their datacenter), it'd only be worse. The problem isn't the servers themselves, it's the software side / how they're using them.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@misterman.1530 said:

I guarantee that nothing is running on servers from "2 years ago". Software updates, hardware updates/changes/fixes. All these things make it certain that the servers from 2 years ago have been replaced. Especially at Amazon. Odds are there are both dedicated, physical servers and virtual servers. Not sure which ones GW2 use, but they have certainly been tweaked and modifed from what they were 2 years ago.

We don't know how much the hardware on the Amazon servers has changed over the years but the old servers before moving on to Amazon remained the same since they were purchased back in 2012.

Our hardware was purchased in 2012 and was starting to fail more often – especially the disk drives – and fixing this was simply not the best use of our time. And even without failures, we were somewhat stuck where we were – if we wanted to experiment with faster hardware, or more RAM, or faster drives, or better networking we had to order and provision it ourselves which is a huge impediment to experimentation

So for 5 years the game used the same server hardware (with probable disk replacements). Now on Amazon it might be different, but we don't know by how much, we can only speculate.

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

How about when there are bounties on the PoF maps. The whole map is lagging terribly, Desert highlands always takes the cake with the insane lag.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

Worth noting : due quarantine situations across the globe, some server maintenance may have been partial. And some international cable nodes maintenance have Definitely been partial. Not everything is Anet's responsability, there are operators in between that have a lot of catch up to do, if they're even able to. I badly suffered from lag a month ago, along with other europeans. It has since improved (atleast on my end). Situations will vary until the global pandemic starts to quiet down.

@SimplyRedie.6207 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:
    Your exp isn't everyone's. Did you change computers- isp -move -from eu on na server etc. If every teq was as you say why aren't 200 people complaining?

This shows you haven't been near Teq or Drakkar. Chat is full of lag drama

Or it could be Im on NA and your on EU. Or I don't get lag at them and you do. I have no idea why I get no lag in WvW either but hey must be the servers.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jilora.9524 said:

@SimplyRedie.6207 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:
    Your exp isn't everyone's. Did you change computers- isp -move -from eu on na server etc. If every teq was as you say why aren't 200 people complaining?

Or it could be Im on NA and your on EU. Or I don't get lag at them and you do. I have no idea why I get no lag in WvW either but hey must be the servers.

There has been noticeable lag in NA on PoF maps for sure. There are already threads about it in the Bugs forum. This thread is the first complaint I've seen regarding lag during Teq. Curious if the OP is in EU or NA?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@SimplyRedie.6207 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

There has been noticeable lag in NA on PoF maps for sure. There are already threads about it in the Bugs forum. This thread is the first complaint I've seen regarding lag during Teq. Curious if the OP is in EU or NA?

All I did was say I don't get lag and ask him for other info which he didn't give. I mean I doubt many will comment going I don't get lag or aren't making threads saying ty anet for your lag free servers so sure there's more threads about lag. I just wonder if it's more EU or some other factor to explain why I never see lag complaints in my WvW 3 server accounts all in NA but see tons of lag complaints in the WvW section

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

In truth very few people have experienced that, save those who do it as part of their profession, but that's just staged anyways.

Wait, what were we talking about? :trollface:

• zaekeon.5128zaekeon.5128 Member ✭✭✭

@Jilora.9524 said:

I have to agree with OP. I have a gig up and down inet connection and I get the same issues on Teq. The lag is really bad at times.

• LucianTheAngelic.7054LucianTheAngelic.7054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Healix.5819 said:
    The servers, old and new, have always lagged during events with high concentrations of active players. Tequatl at reset (NA) in the #1 map will always lag while everyone is spamming skills for example, but outside of that, not so much. Server lag will affect the entire instance and everyone in it.

If going back to NCSoft was an option (they closed their datacenter), it'd only be worse. The problem isn't the servers themselves, it's the software side / how they're using them.

I wouldn’t say they’ve always lagged; at least not for everyone. I didn’t have these issues in PvE at all until about a year ago (and have been playing the game since near launch.

But to everyone saying it doesn’t exist, well it definitely does for a ton of people. And it’s only getting worse. Not to mention how awful it is on the LS4 maps right now even with few people on the map for seemingly no reason

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

I don't experience any more lag lately than I did since I started which was 2.5 year a go. Currently it seems fine, even on the new map and during Drakkar.
    Actually the most lag I had was during the release of Dragonstand. There was a period when I had crazy skill lag.

There is a whole lot of infrastructure between you and GW2 servers, could be there are completely other issues. It is possible that covid situation is causing more traffic on certain routes. Not everywhere the restrictions have been lifted. On my workplace and in the whole global company we are still encouraged to stay at home office and in general people have been using video conferences more lately if nothing else because now everyone has the means and knowledge how to do it and it is just easier than having live meetings.

@Cuks.8241 said:
    I don't experience any more lag lately than I did since I started which was 2.5 year a go. Currently it seems fine, even on the new map and during Drakkar.
    Actually the most lag I had was during the release of Dragonstand. There was a period when I had crazy skill lag.

There is a whole lot of infrastructure between you and GW2 servers, could be there are completely other issues. It is possible that covid situation is causing more traffic on certain routes. Not everywhere the restrictions have been lifted. On my workplace and in the whole global company we are still encouraged to stay at home office and in general people have been using video conferences more lately if nothing else because now everyone has the means and knowledge how to do it and it is just easier than having live meetings.

Drakkar is ok for me but in the burn phases for Teq for instance...it's like your buttons jus tdon't even work. The start of the fight is really annoying to...all of a sudden you're just dead but you didn't see anything happen on the screen...go back to the combat log and you were hit like 37 times without even knowing it because there was no representation of that data happening on the client.

• SevlisBavles.3059SevlisBavles.3059 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020

Great time to make Tequatl's Hoard token-based or make the weapons exotic and tradeable on the marketplace.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

In truth very few people have experienced that, save those who do it as part of their profession, but that's just staged anyways.

Wait, what were we talking about? :trollface:

Then they need to get on my level! (The third floor of SMC of course.. what ELSE might you have meant? 😉)

Thank You for the {MEME}

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

@SimplyRedie.6207 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:

NA

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020

@Shiyo.3578 said:
    Wait, am I really being blamed for the servers being unable to handle mass amounts of people?
    No, sorry, I ask in map chat and everyone else is also lagging. It has NOTHING to do with my connection and the servers inability to handle the amount of people maps are capped at.

Perhaps lower the amount of players that can be in a map at once if your servers are now worse and can't handle it.

Right ... you got this all figured out ... :astonished:

Nothing here is demonstrative of 'new servers' not being able to handle it. I've done Teq no problems ... is that 'new servers' can't handle it too?

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

It’s not just him. There are obvious issues going on. Just read map chat, forums, Reddit. It’s not FPS lag. It’s big spikes in what seems like latency but could very easily be high cpu on the backend

• Lumikki.1725Lumikki.1725 Member ✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020

I haven't had too much lag with Tequatl the Sunless, maybe little bit, but I do have sometimes major lag with Legendary Ley-Line Anomaly. I ques it has to do something like so many standing in same spot.

• @Obtena.7952 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:
    Wait, am I really being blamed for the servers being unable to handle mass amounts of people?
    No, sorry, I ask in map chat and everyone else is also lagging. It has NOTHING to do with my connection and the servers inability to handle the amount of people maps are capped at.

Perhaps lower the amount of players that can be in a map at once if your servers are now worse and can't handle it.

Nothing here is demonstrative of 'new servers' not being able to handle it. I've done Teq no problems ... is that 'new servers' can't handle it too?

Or you don't know what lag is. Plenty of those around.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020

we need more condi spam and boon spam to fix this issue :), if every one lags/desyncs or crashes as well game is balanced.
    sicne every crashes, theres less lag.

Lag issue resolved.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020

@SimplyRedie.6207 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:

Or you don't know what lag is. Plenty of those around.

The fact I am aware that these problems AREN'T just related to 'new server' problems like the OP claims shouldn't lead you to think I'm not knowledgeable about lag. Anything else?

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/