Forced to disable chat in PVP

wux.7314

Why is the GW2 PVP community so toxic? It's probably the worst gaming community I have ever experienced. I am a returning player (played on game release until just after HoT) have been forced to disable my chat and keep it on perma combat log when queuing. It was never this toxic before, it's crazy how bad the community is now! Today someone asked everyone their rank before the game purely so he could later tell the team how bad they were and how great he was because his rank was so high (he claimed to be rank 2600) and said that people with low PVP rank should never queue ranked. Yesterday someone told the team to kill themselves and someone else told them to uninstall the game purely because they were losing.

The thing is, these players often aren't even good players (not that that would excuse such behavior anyway) they are just deluded. My hypothesis is that their IRL is so terrible that the only sense of value they have is their GW2 character, and losing a game feels like an attack on the only thing they have going for them in life. Regardless, imagine how a new player would feel entering this environment? Even as a returning player it is not something I want to view when playing a few games for fun.

@phokus.8934 said:You call that toxic? How tall are you because I want to make you a bubble wrap outfit for when you go outside.

This game and every other online game is going to have colorful commentary because of anonymity.

Thanks for replying with a toxic post to further prove my point. It's not that I am offended by it. I play to have fun and having someone shouting abuse in chat is anoying. Team chat should be used to organize tactics and coordinate a win.

@wux.7314 said:

@phokus.8934 said:You call that toxic? How tall are you because I want to make you a bubble wrap outfit for when you go outside.

This game and every other online game is going to have colorful commentary because of anonymity.

Thanks for replying with a toxic post to further prove my point. It's not that I am offended by it. I play to have fun and having someone shouting abuse in chat is anoying. Team chat should be used to organize tactics and coordinate a win.See this is your problem and the common problem amongst people nowadays. Any form of criticism or the slightest word that you don’t like you think it’s “toxic.” You are offended by anything and anyone that doesn’t follow your straight edge approach to life and fun.

The only problem here is you.

@phokus.8934 said:

@wux.7314 said:

Thanks for replying with a toxic post to further prove my point. It's not that I am offended by it. I play to have fun and having someone shouting abuse in chat is anoying. Team chat should be used to organize tactics and coordinate a win.See this is your problem and the common problem amongst people nowadays. Any form of criticism or the slightest word that you don’t like you think it’s “toxic.” You are offended by anything and anyone that doesn’t follow your straight edge approach to life and fun.

The only problem here is you.

Strawman argument. I never said anything about being annoyed by 'criticism'. Telling people to kill themselves because their team is losing does not constitute 'criticism". Moreover, my primary game mode is WvW and the community is great, which totally counters your previous argument about the 'anonymity'. Also I play plenty of other similar games and none is as toxic as this games PVP community.

@wux.7314 said:

The thing is, these players often aren't even good players (not that that would excuse such behavior anyway) they are just deluded. My hypothesis is that their IRL is so terrible that the only sense of value they have is their GW2 character, and losing a game feels like an attack on the only thing they have going for them in life.

This is some pretty toxic kitten on its own right here. Pot meet kettle.

I think the main thing is that so many people aren't willing to report their friends and guild mates when they see nonsense like that. Or they aren't willing to just block some people. I blocked someone in game cause they were toxic to me when they asked me for a duo and then DMed me on discord months later saying I'm 'childish' cause I don't want to forgive them and try to move on from the past. The thing is... If you're not going to try to learn how to not be toxic, I'm not interested. Then three other duos the past two months got upset games weren't going their way and blocked me (one after only one game LUL) as if that is going to make them win more in the future.

Just to respond to a few comments above. I wouldn't mind if the toxic behavior was now and again, most video games are like that, but it is literally almost EVERY GW2 PVP game where the team loses. I am not offended by it, I have thick skin. My objection is that it is just anoying and to be honest, it makes me embarrassed to be associated with such people. It's like watching a kid throw their toys out the pram and have a tantrum. At the end of the day, its just a game and if you solo queue, you're going to lose because its RNG which team mates you get. Don't get me wrong, some great guys play PVP too, really nice dudes.

Also I just wanted to give a salute to the people who get where I am coming from. The toxicity is damaging to the game and that is my main concern. Pvp will be dead eventually without new players and honestly why would they join? I was teamed with some engi player in games yesterday, he was really bad but clearly new. He was called a bot and all sorts of insults just because he was new. Why should he be insulted and bullied for being a noob? We were all noobs once too. Compare this to WvW where we have community led training days to HELP our new players...

@"Widmo.3186" said:If you dont play pvp in order to encounter toxicity, then idk why you do so.Its the last piece of fun that left in this game B)Toxicity doesnt make me laugh. I have a different idea of having fun.Wouldnt it be more fun if people treated each other respectful ? Making real good jokes and laughing together about really funny things ?Some people are spreading good mood and some are spreading hate.In terms of insulting I am not talking about words like noob or "you are bad" or other harmless stuff, I am talking here about players using insultson the lowest most primitive level.I play guild wars for seven years and the first five years I didnt report anybody. But two years ago I came to a point where I had enough.I report all hard insulting players. Its the last piece of defending my good mood left in this game B)

@hotte in space.2158 said:

@"Widmo.3186" said:If you dont play pvp in order to encounter toxicity, then idk why you do so.Its the last piece of fun that left in this game B)Toxicity doesnt make me laugh. I have a different idea of having fun.Wouldnt it be more fun if people treated each other respectful ? Making real good jokes and laughing together about really funny things ?Some people are spreading good mood and some are spreading hate.In terms of insulting I am not talking about words like noob or "you are bad" or other harmless stuff, I am talking here about players using insultson the lowest most primitive level.I play guild wars for seven years and the first five years I didnt report anybody. But two years ago I came to a point where I had enough.I report all hard insulting players. Its the last piece of defending my good mood left in this game B)

if you play like an ape why would someone treat you like a human ?, btw i not saying its the correct attitude but its a fair point

@skillze.7689 said:if you play like an ape why would someone treat you like a human ?, btw i not saying its the correct attitude but its a fair point^this statement is so stupid that it hurts !Compared to Rank 55 Dragons the whole PvP community could be considered to be bad players then and not worth to be treated like humans.Great, so lets all bash each other then^^

troll them its funny. if someone is being abusive i usually respond with something like "i'm a new pve player and i'm only here for xyz", or you could fake some illness and say gw2 is an outlet to forget said illness. the possibilities are endless. another one of my favs is to ask them how to change my build.

Why is the PVP community so toxic? Because GW2 PVP is dead and they lack self-esteem. Asking for help or someone's build usually results in insults. This PVP community is a joke, it is a reflection of how little ANET respect GW2 and the PVP community in general.

I mean if the makers of the game don't respect PVP or the PVP Community how can you expect the Community to respect PVP and the Community.

@hotte in space.2158 said:

@skillze.7689 said:if you play like an ape why would someone treat you like a human ?, btw i not saying its the correct attitude but its a fair point^this statement is so stupid that it hurts !Compared to Rank 55 Dragons the whole PvP community could be considered to be bad players then and not worth to be treated like humans.^ brown nose much ?I was making the point as to why people might feel this way, you play a competitive game mode for what reason? Most people play it for competition to win and achieve something seems like you and alot of others dont give a flying Fook about competitive gaming and would prefer to play and throw a match just because you want it to be fun and they want it to be competitive.

I'd PvP so much more if it weren't for the people you actually encounter. I love the gameplay of PvPing along with the challenge, but even the more "tame" players who rage and throw a fit are plenty toxic since the more I have to deal with them the less I want to stay logged in to the game.

There's just an incredible abundance of players who can't handle their own emotions and end up spilling their baggage onto everyone else in the form of blaming, raging, and other such stuff.