New Level 80 Character - Needs Help.

Hello All,

I bought this game couple of months back and has I recently hit Level 80 on my warrior. This is my first character to reach this level. I have few questions:

1. Shall I continue exploring the maps like I was doing till now and gain Hero points for Elite Specialization training or there is something else I can do solo, as I find hard to get groups or interactive guilds?
  2. How does the Dungeon thing work? Do I need to gave a group for that or it can be soloed?
  3. How to get a good gear, currently I an using "Cavalier's Draconic" complete set. Is it sufficient for level 80 maps?
  4. I have started POF story line to get mount and I have a raptor now. I am at Night of Fires quest and find it hard in soloing it. Is this storyline really that tough or it can be soloed. If this can be soloed does that mean I have a wrong selection of armor/weapon? or my selection of skills are not favoring me?
  5. Also, can someone help me with the link that describes all the skill that warrior has so that I can carefully select it and get advantage?

I am sorry, I might sound like a noob but that's what I am to this game. I am still learning it and there are many things that I have earned but doesn't know what to do with it so you might see some more post coming from my end. :)

Regards,Sleepy Owl

1.) I played the content in the order it came out which meant personal story and exploring the core game (and associated living story chapters) followed by the Heart of Thorns expansion, more living story, Path of Fire expansion, and more living story. I liked this progression, and I thought it was fun to explore the game on foot and then explore it with a glider and then explore it with mounts.

Players who start now can do things in a completely different order, meaning you can zap to level 80 with a booster or go get mounts before you've fully explored the core game. Changing up the order in which you play the content will inevitably change your experience. Vistas won't be a challenge with mounts, map completion can become insanely fast, and you do run the risk of baffling yourself if you play the story out of order - but that doesn't mean you can't do it this way.

Some of the mobility options and mastery perks you get from expansions can make things in the core game faster and easier which means you'll be able to solo more. If that's your goal, it's an option to consider.

2.) Dungeons can be solo'd in some cases, but it's a lot less stressful to just form a team in looking for group. Sometimes you can ask people in map chat or even meet people waiting outside the dungeon portal if LFG is slow to fill up. Each day, a new set of daily achievements becomes available; sometimes one of those is to go and do a specific dungeon, so days like that are a good time to see if anyone's running through the dungeon you want to do.

I should probably also mention that fractals are quite similar to dungeons and you can get groups together for them in the same way.

3.) Your exotic armor is fine. You'd be surprised how many people are scraping by on green and yellow rarity gear. The next step up is ascended armor which can be crafted or gotten as rare loot. The tippy top tier of armor is legendary armor, but it's weird-looking and not really much better than ascended or exotic gear.

4.) Path of Fire is the second expansion in the game, so it's expected you played the core game and the first expansion, which would give you the combat experience you need to have an easier time in the desert. You can still adapt to the enemies and mechanics in PoF, but it is meant to be challenging. If you're still having problems, I suggest reviewing online guides for the content or simply going back and completing other content or recruiting buddies.

5.) This page is full of Warrior Stuff. If you click the different specializations (Strength, Tactics, etc.) it'll pull up a page that tells you what all of the skills are for that specialization and what they do. There are websites that suggest different combinations of skills called builds, and certain builds are better for specific types of content which is what makes them handy.

I know that's about 5,000 things to read, but I tried to keep it basic. You can definitely optimize your character for maximum damage/optimization and order your gameplay so you complete objectives faster, but really there's no wrong way to play this game unless you have specific goals that require technical calibrations.

Aside from that, the wiki is a fantastic resource. You can type /wiki in the game at any time to pull up the website in your browser and even send it to pages about specific things like /wiki Butter. If you don't know what something is, how to complete an event or get to a place, where to obtain something or what something is used for, the wiki is your buddy.

1) Map exploration is much easier and fun with the various mounts, so if you like you may want to unlock some of the mounts first before you decide to explore some more.

4) I think it is meant to be completed solo. It only gets harder after Night of Fires, so you might want to do some other content or improve your gear first if you keep finding it difficult.

In PvE I use the berserker elite specialization on my warrior, with a one-handed sword and torch, and a longbow swap. I like the skills on these combination of weapons and PvE has been quite easy so far with this configuration.

First of all thank you AgentMoore.9453 for taking out time to read and respond to my questions.

Yes, I do understand that it is always wise to play the game in the manner it came out but clearly had no idea about how to play go about it. After reading your response I did some research on Wiki and found that core game had 25 maps. Coincidentally I have 100% completed 18 of those maps and I was following the same pattern but looking at the gliders and the other mounts that other players were using I lost my gameplan midway and started my quest to get one of the mounts.

But Now after your reading this, I think I should not worry too much and should not deviate from my gameplay.

So rather than running after flashy things I will complete core first, then Season 1& 2 , then HOT, then Season 3 post that I will go to POF.

That means I have a lot of stuff to cover and moreover I also have My story and other story lines to complete that I have been ignoring.

Thanks again for your guidance. This was really a great help :)

There are also things called character calculators, where you can set your ingame race, proffesion, specializations, skills, weapons, armor combinations and other things like foods etc, and then see the resulting numbers of your attributes, conditions / boons ticks etc, without actually buying any of these items in the game. These calculators are perfect thing to try different variants of your characters, before you will finaly decide which you prefer the most.

For example there is a link to one of these character calculators:http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

@Sleepyowl.8903 said:First of all thank you AgentMoore.9453 for taking out time to read and respond to my questions.

Yes, I do understand that it is always wise to play the game in the manner it came out but clearly had no idea about how to play go about it. After reading your response I did some research on Wiki and found that core game had 25 maps. Coincidentally I have 100% completed 18 of those maps and I was following the same pattern but looking at the gliders and the other mounts that other players were using I lost my gameplan midway and started my quest to get one of the mounts.

But Now after your reading this, I think I should not worry too much and should not deviate from my gameplay.

So rather than running after flashy things I will complete core first, then Season 1& 2 , then HOT, then Season 3 post that I will go to POF.

That means I have a lot of stuff to cover and moreover I also have My story and other story lines to complete that I have been ignoring.

Thanks again for your guidance. This was really a great help :)

Just so you are not surprised....It is not possible to play Living World Season One, as that was content that was released for a short period of time, and then no longer available.Living World Seasons Two, Three and Four will cost Gems. You can trade Gold for Gems or purchase them with cash. Living World Season Bundles are less expensive per Episode than purchasing Episodes singularly. On the other hand, it's not too difficult to acquire the Gold for one Episode (about 60 Gold).The Icebrood Saga is Season 5, and you have unlocked at least one Episode, perhaps two, just by logging into the game while the Episode is active. Again, you will need to purchase any Episodes you have not unlocked.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.