Weapon Suggestions!

Topic has been discussed many times in the past. Please use the forums search feature.

In a game where the use of a weapon or its skills are only very loosly tied to the weapon's actual usage, introducing a new weapon type is not worth the hassle. I am yet to see a convincing argument for a new weapon type that raises a problem that could not be solved by a skin or an animation.

While it's very unlikely for new weapon types to be added, since they'll most likely just end up as skins for existing weapon types because that's less work (But also less interesting due to the incredibly limited nature of the visual customization, being limited to whatever handful of skins ends up existing. But also limits the potential of said weapons)

Things I'd love to see;

- Greataxes (Could be interesting to see it for Warrior + Guardian in addition to their current Greatsword and Hammer)- Fist weapons (Brass knuckles, claws, push daggers etc. I wanna punch a dragon in the face.)- Scythes (Not just Staff skins, but actual Scythes. However, if they didn't do it for Reaper of all specs, they're not going to do it in general...)- Rocket Launchers (We have Charrzooka skins for Rifles... But the closest we have to a Rocket Launcher is Engie's Mortar Kit... Imagine Engie running around with an actual Rocket Launcher though!)- Glaives/Swordstaffs (Twin bladed weapons)- Chakram (Thrown blades)-Kusarigama (Kama on chains)-Polearms (Poleaxes, Halberds, Bardiches, Partisans, Fauchards, Corsques, Naginata etc. Vastly different to in-game staff animations by being far more tip focused combat)

I really hope if get Cantha expansions we'll get at least spears and other custumisations from gw1. I still haven't tried Dervish or Paragon but I feel like starting another playthrough with either of these because the weapons seem so fun.I really hope the next expansion will actually bring something new and surprising as I still have a little faith in Anet even though most of the founders are gone now. They're still a mile better than EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda (I used to love The Elder Scrolls series a lot but RIP TESVI for now) and many other mainstream studios. I'd even name them in one scentence with CDPR. After all games are meant to be gun, for immersion and to bring the developer's vision to life.

@Taril.8619 said:While it's very unlikely for new weapon types to be added, since they'll most likely just end up as skins for existing weapon types because that's less work (But also less interesting due to the incredibly limited nature of the visual customization, being limited to whatever handful of skins ends up existing. But also limits the potential of said weapons)

Things I'd love to see;

- Greataxes (Could be interesting to see it for Warrior + Guardian in addition to their current Greatsword and Hammer)- Fist weapons (Brass knuckles, claws, push daggers etc. I wanna punch a dragon in the face.)- Scythes (Not just Staff skins, but actual Scythes. However, if they didn't do it for Reaper of all specs, they're not going to do it in general...)- Rocket Launchers (We have Charrzooka skins for Rifles... But the closest we have to a Rocket Launcher is Engie's Mortar Kit... Imagine Engie running around with an actual Rocket Launcher though!)- Glaives/Swordstaffs (Twin bladed weapons)- Chakram (Thrown blades)-Kusarigama (Kama on chains)-Polearms (Poleaxes, Halberds, Bardiches, Partisans, Fauchards, Corsques, Naginata etc. Vastly different to in-game staff animations by being far more tip focused combat)

They can easily use dagger, staves, and great swords and make skins for them or utility skills as a means to create weapons. They really don't need to make another weapon.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@Taril.8619 said:While it's very unlikely for new weapon types to be added, since they'll most likely just end up as skins for existing weapon types because that's less work (But also less interesting due to the incredibly limited nature of the visual customization, being limited to whatever handful of skins ends up existing. But also limits the potential of said weapons)

Things I'd love to see;

- Greataxes
(Could be interesting to see it for Warrior + Guardian in addition to their current Greatsword and Hammer)
- Fist weapons
(Brass knuckles, claws, push daggers etc. I wanna punch a dragon in the face.)
- Scythes
(Not just Staff skins, but actual Scythes. However, if they didn't do it for Reaper of all specs, they're not going to do it in general...)
- Rocket Launchers
(We have Charrzooka skins for Rifles... But the closest we have to a Rocket Launcher is Engie's Mortar Kit... Imagine Engie running around with an actual Rocket Launcher though!)
- Glaives/Swordstaffs
(Twin bladed weapons)
- Chakram
(Thrown blades)
-Kusarigama
(Kama on chains)
-Polearms
(Poleaxes, Halberds, Bardiches, Partisans, Fauchards, Corsques, Naginata etc. Vastly different to in-game staff animations by being far more tip focused combat)

They can easily use dagger, staves, and great swords and make skins for them or utility skills as a means to create weapons.

"skins for existing weapon types because that's less work (But also less interesting due to the incredibly limited nature of the visual customization, being limited to whatever handful of skins ends up existing. But also limits the potential of said weapons"

@VocalThought.9835 said:They really don't need to make another weapon.

They really don't need to do anything.

They don't need to give new weapon access to E-Specs, just give everyone skins for their already usable weapons.

Don't need Hammer for Scrapper, just give Hammer skin for Rifle!

Don't need Axe for Mirage. Just give Axe skin for Scepter!

Don't need Greatsword for Reaper, just give GS skin for Staff! (Heck, in this case, Scythe skins for Staff already exist which are thematically appropriate!)

@Taril.8619 said:

Things I'd love to see;

- Greataxes
(Could be interesting to see it for Warrior + Guardian in addition to their current Greatsword and Hammer)
- Fist weapons
- Scythes
(Not just Staff skins, but actual Scythes. However, if they didn't do it for Reaper of all specs, they're not going to do it in general...)
- Rocket Launchers
(We have Charrzooka skins for Rifles... But the closest we have to a Rocket Launcher is Engie's Mortar Kit... Imagine Engie running around with an actual Rocket Launcher though!)
- Glaives/Swordstaffs
(Twin bladed weapons)
- Chakram
(Thrown blades)
-Kusarigama
(Kama on chains)
-Polearms
(Poleaxes, Halberds, Bardiches, Partisans, Fauchards, Corsques, Naginata etc. Vastly different to in-game staff animations by being far more tip focused combat)

They can easily use dagger, staves, and great swords and make skins for them or utility skills as a means to create weapons.

"skins for existing weapon types because that's less work (But also less interesting due to the incredibly limited nature of the visual customization, being limited to whatever handful of skins ends up existing. But also limits the potential of said weapons"

They really don't
need
to do anything.

They don't need to give new weapon access to E-Specs, just give everyone skins for their already usable weapons.

Don't need Greatsword for Reaper, just give GS skin for Staff! (Heck, in this case, Scythe skins for Staff already exist which are thematically appropriate!)

Did you just get manic. The game has a system and you want to change the current system. I see nothing wrong with that, but what is being requested already has an easy solution. Making more weapons needs to serve a better purpose than cosmetics. I can see if it was something new like mounts. They proved that you don't need an actual weapon to give players the ability that a particular weapon could bring because they can make anything happen.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't, just there's other ways to add weapons and their no real purpose.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

Things I'd love to see;

- Greataxes
- Fist weapons
- Scythes
- Rocket Launchers
- Glaives/Swordstaffs
(Twin bladed weapons)
- Chakram
(Thrown blades)
-Kusarigama
(Kama on chains)
-Polearms

They really don't
need
to do anything.

Did you just get manic.

No.

I merely highlighted that there's more to "New weapons" than just cosmetics. It's additional possibilities for weapon skills (Which Warrior is getting close to running out of new additions for given that they're only missing 5 weapons - Staff, Scepter, Focus, Shortbow and Pistol. 6 if you count both MH and OH pistol as seperate weapons)

Of course, for most other classes, there is still unused potential for many current weapon types (Longbow, Shortbow, Pistol and Rifle are not used by many classes, there's much more focus on everyone using Sword/Axe/Greatsword)

Making more weapons needs to serve a better purpose than cosmetics. I can see if it was something new like mounts. They proved that you don't need an actual weapon to give players the ability that a particular weapon could bring because they can make anything happen.

Ironically, with mounts there's very little they could do to actually add something to the game. There's underwater mounts and... That's about it. Even with the current mounts we have stuff like Jackal and Raptor or Griffon and Skyscale that do the same thing. Outside of gimmick stuff that's on the level of Masteries (I.e. Sand Portals for Jackal).

We have horizontal travel (Raptor/Jackal being general use. Roller Beetle being speed). We have vertical travel (Skipper). We have water travel (Skimmer). We have flying (Griffon/Skyscale)

Anything new here would be just skins or masteries.

@VocalThought.9835 said:I'm not saying that they shouldn't, just there's other ways to add weapons and their no real purpose.

There are other ways to add weapons, which I pointed out in the first paragraph of my initial post. It's also the way that will most likely be used, since it's less work and can be directly monetized (I.e. Sell the skins in the cash shop)

However, that doesn't stop someone from being able to desire something like a full on weapon type addition to the game.

Just like someone is able to desire other equally unlikely things, such as balance patches that make any sense within the game's current climate.

@Taril.8619 said:

These make no sense. What the guy you replied to meant was that you can easily get the weapon archetypes you are asking for here by giving other weapons a fitting skin and then give a kit fitting for this weapon type you request to a class that doesn't wield the weapon yet.

Giving a hammer skin for scrapper on rifle makes no sense, since engineer has rifle with a shotgun playstyle. Having shotgun skills and then using a hammer skin makes no sense. Same for mirage axe and reaper greatsword.

If we apply the suggestion of VocalThought on the weapon archetypes you were asking for before, it could definitely turn out like this:

• greataxe: either use hammer or greatsword and a greataxe skin for it, classes which can't use hammer or greatsword for such concept could be necromancer (hammer), revenant (greatsword), ranger (hammer)*fist weapons: focus would be the best fitting here, most logical professions for that playstyle would be warrior or thief
  • scythes: there are already staves with these skins, they could possibly give this archetype to warrior, but a staff warrior makes more sense with the polearms suggestion in your list, so daredevil is most likely the closest we will get to a scythe playstyle, also reaper
  • rocket launcher: sounds like a weapon that should thematically be restricted to the engineer only.... the best bet for this one would probably be to just make it a kit rework
  • chakram: easy to implement as dagger skills, throwing knives and chakram makes sense for revenant (with mist trails?), engineer (maybe using magnetic powers), or mesmers (best candidate I think)
  • polearms: staff for warrior just makes so much sense for this one

Because of how highly adaptable weapons can be in GW2, I doubt that we will ever get new weapon types. I understand that people are longing for them, but I think the benefit is not worth the effort if they can simply make existing weapon types fill the gameplay niche instead.

But just because it is fun to fantasize about that stuff, weapons I would personally enjoy:

• power gauntlets: mechanized oversized gauntlets to punch stuff, like Vi from LoL or brawlers from TERA
  • vial: offhand flask used to spill different liquids, I personally love the alchemy theme of the engineer and having an offhand weapon working with it would be nice (and I realise that this can easily get made by giving engineer a focus)
  • crossbow: I think crossbows are really fun in alot of games, even if we don't really have a need for one since we have the rifle
  • blowguns: could be interesting for rangers to use animal toxins or engineers using it to use alchemical tinctures with it

@Kodama.6453 said:

These make no sense. What the guy you replied to meant was that you can easily get the weapon archetypes you are asking for here by giving other weapons a fitting skin and then
give a kit fitting for this weapon type you request to a class that doesn't wield the weapon yet

It makes perfect sense.

ANet doesn't NEED to give new weapon kits and by extention, new access to weapons for classes.

They can simply give out thematic skins for their existing weapons to get the aethetics of that new E-Spec.

However, they choose to give more access to existing weapon types to increase the number of weapon sets available.

The same thing can be said about new weapon types too, if they plan on releasing a bunch more E-Specs then classes will start to end up being able to use every weapon in the game (I.e. As I mentioned, Warrior only has 5-6 weapons left they can't already use. If we want to look beyond weapon types given GW2's nature of not really caring about weapon types (I.e. Ranged Hammer and Greatsword) then Warrior only has 2x 2H weapons left, 2x MH weapons and 2x OH weapons) to which new weapon types will allow for more to be done.

This pool of available weapons for classes can shrink quite fast if they also choose to do what they did with Spellbreaker and add a MH and OH weapon together at once.

@"Taril.8619" said:

It makes perfect sense.

ANet doesn't NEED to give new weapon kits and by extention, new access to weapons for classes.

They can simply give out thematic skins for their existing weapons to get the aethetics of that new E-Spec.

However, they choose to give more access to existing weapon types to increase the number of weapon sets available.

The same thing can be said about new weapon types too, if they plan on releasing a bunch more E-Specs then classes will start to end up being able to use every weapon in the game (I.e. As I mentioned, Warrior only has 5-6 weapons left they can't already use. If we want to look beyond weapon types given GW2's nature of not really caring about weapon types (I.e. Ranged Hammer and Greatsword) then Warrior only has 2x 2H weapons left, 2x MH weapons and 2x OH weapons) to which new weapon types will allow for more to be done.

This pool of available weapons for classes can shrink quite fast if they also choose to do what they did with Spellbreaker and add a MH and OH weapon together at once.

They can give out thematic skins for the existing weapons, however, the problem is that the classes often are also lacking weapons filling the gameplay niche the elite spec is supposed to fill.

Look at druid, for example. Clearly designed as a support spec, since core ranger is strongly lacking in the ability to support their allies in a meaningful way. They got the celestial avatar and all, but outside of the celestial avatar, ranger doesn't really have alot of weapon sets to make them able to support. Considering how important the chosen weapons are for your playstyle in this game (we are not in GW1, where you could chose to just put spells on your bar, half your skill bar is determined by your weapons), some classes really need these additional weapons to open up the intended gameplay.

Daredevil is another one. Designed as a bruiser spec for thief, a class which doesn't have any real weapons for the bruiser playstyle. Staff is adding quite alot of defensive mechanics for the thief by providing reflec, weakness, blind, evades.... all in one weapon kit. Even adds hard CC with the stealth attack to knock down enemies.

This is why adding new weapons is needed. You say you want a support elite spec for the thief (I do, too), but which weapons should that spec wield if we don't add a new support focused weapon for them?I think these newly added weapons are less about just "giving more weapon variety in general" and more about giving the spec a weapon in hand they can use in areas they are lacking.

About your other argument: warrior is the only class really in danger of running out of weapons soon. And even warrior has 5 weapons left to get:staff, pistol, shortbow, scepter, focus

And all of these weapons can get implemented thematically in warrior one way or another.

• staff: polearm (requested by many players), either give it a spear or helbard playstyle
  • pistol: don't think this will be hard to implement, we already see heavy armored pistol users in the new map
  • shortbow: maybe more focused on mobility than langbow
  • focus: signal device, for example like a gunbai dansen which was used to give signals to troops on the battlefield, or maybe the fistfighting weapon you are requesting
  • scepter: could also be a signal device, have to admit that this is a stretch, tho

Scepter is the most problematic to implement for me, but even without it, we have 4 weapons left which we can easily find a niche for.Which means we still have room for 4 new elite spec.... we currently just have 2, third is coming. We can stretch elite specs for many years to come still, even for warrior. And I actually doubt that we will get so many more elite specs.

So I don't really see the need to implement new weapons to the game. As I said, it is fun to dream about it. But realistically, I can't see there being enough benefit in new weapons for it to be worth for Anet to create them. The pool available is enough to fill all the needs for the coming years, even for warrior. Other classes have an even wider pool to pick from.

@Kodama.6453 said:Look at druid, for example. Clearly designed as a support spec, since core ranger is strongly lacking in the ability to support their allies in a meaningful way. They got the celestial avatar and all, but outside of the celestial avatar, ranger doesn't really have alot of weapon sets to make them able to support.

X/Warhorn

I actually use Axe/Warhorn over Staff on my Druid because Druid Staff is total garbage.

@Kodama.6453 said:Daredevil is another one. Designed as a bruiser spec for thief, a class which doesn't have any real weapons for the bruiser playstyle.

Sword/Pistol

It has been the defacto Bruiser setup for Thief since the games release. Sword offering cleaving auto attacks which have historically been the highest DPS of their available weapons, while Pistol off-hand is reknown for its ability to plop down smoke fields and laugh as everything nearby gets perma-blinded.

@Kodama.6453 said:This is why adding new weapons is needed. You say you want a support elite spec for the thief (I do, too), but which weapons should that spec wield if we don't add a new support focused weapon for them?

Sword/Pistol + Shortbow

Sword provides access to Shadowsteps on skill 2 which can proc Shadow Saviour for AoE healing.Pistol provides CC to help with breakbars in lieu of DPS classes having to sacrifice damage to do so.Pistol also provides Smoke field which can be used to provide Stealth to allies if able to access Blast finishers, allowing healing from Merciful Ambush.Shortbow provides Blast finisher spam.

@Taril.8619 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:Look at druid, for example. Clearly designed as a support spec, since core ranger is strongly lacking in the ability to support their allies in a meaningful way. They got the celestial avatar and all, but outside of the celestial avatar, ranger doesn't really have alot of weapon sets to make them able to support.

X/Warhorn

I actually use Axe/Warhorn over Staff on my Druid because Druid Staff is total garbage.

Yes, warhorn offers supportive value on ranger. And that's pretty much it.... you don't have a mainhand weapon that fits the healing/boonsharing support playstyle of the druid. Axe gives might just to yourself, chill and weakness for debuffs.... But the value in terms of healing and boons for allies just comes from your warhorn.

Which seems a bit lacking. Also you should keep in mind: you are not an elementalist or engineer. :pYou can wield 2 weapon sets and switch between them. Axe/warhorn is meta on the healing druid, but the staff is also used as the second weapon set. And even if you consider it garbage, having another weapon to provide you support qualities if your intention is to be a full fledged support is beneficial when your other weapon set is on cooldown.

Sword/Pistol

It has been the defacto Bruiser setup for Thief since the games release. Sword offering cleaving auto attacks which have historically been the highest DPS of their available weapons, while Pistol off-hand is reknown for its ability to plop down smoke fields and laugh as everything nearby gets perma-blinded.

Granted, this actually works quite well as a bruiser weapon. But again, this is one set. Having their defense extended is beneficial for the thief in my opinion and staff is a well executed bruiser weapon. Actually a bit better than sword/pistol in my opinion. Also providing a bit more aoe cleave.

Sword/Pistol + Shortbow

Sword provides access to Shadowsteps on skill 2 which can proc Shadow Saviour for AoE healing.Pistol provides CC to help with breakbars in lieu of DPS classes having to sacrifice damage to do so.Pistol also provides Smoke field which can be used to provide Stealth to allies if able to access Blast finishers, allowing healing from Merciful Ambush.Shortbow provides Blast finisher spam.

I kinda doubt that these 2 weapons will really make thief a competitive support. They are core, yet thief didn't manage to get into that niche now. Support is not the main focus of these weapons, they provide utility and work together with some traits with supportive applications. But they are clearly not designed as support weapons in the first place.

I think thief deserves a weapon that is actually designed from the very beginning to help out their allies and be a primary support.

@Kodama.6453 said:And even if you consider it garbage, having another weapon to provide you support qualities if your intention is to be a full fledged support is beneficial when your other weapon set is on cooldown.

I kinda doubt that these 2 weapons will really make thief a competitive support. They are core, yet thief didn't manage to get into that niche now.

You're missing the part where the Elite Specializations themselves could provide things that allow other weapons to provide things for these roles too.

Just like how Ranger's Warhorn provides Regeneration from the trait in Nature Magic.

So too could any other existing weapon for either of these classes end up providing some measure of additional supportive capacity from a Trait in the E-Spec.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Taril.8619" said:

It makes perfect sense.

ANet doesn't
NEED
to give new weapon kits and by extention, new access to weapons for classes.

They can give out thematic skins for the existing weapons, however, the problem is that the classes often are also lacking weapons filling the gameplay niche the elite spec is supposed to fill.

Look at druid, for example. Clearly designed as a support spec, since core ranger is strongly lacking in the ability to support their allies in a meaningful way. They got the celestial avatar and all, but outside of the celestial avatar, ranger doesn't really have alot of weapon sets to make them able to support. Considering how important the chosen weapons are for your playstyle in this game (we are not in GW1, where you could chose to just put spells on your bar, half your skill bar is determined by your weapons), some classes really need these additional weapons to open up the intended gameplay.

Daredevil is another one. Designed as a bruiser spec for thief, a class which doesn't have any real weapons for the bruiser playstyle. Staff is adding quite alot of defensive mechanics for the thief by providing reflec, weakness, blind, evades.... all in one weapon kit. Even adds hard CC with the stealth attack to knock down enemies.

This is why adding new weapons is needed. You say you want a support elite spec for the thief (I do, too), but which weapons should that spec wield if we don't add a new support focused weapon for them?I think these newly added weapons are less about just "giving more weapon variety in general" and more about giving the spec a weapon in hand they can use in areas they are lacking.

About your other argument: warrior is the only class really in danger of running out of weapons soon. And even warrior has 5 weapons left to get:staff, pistol, shortbow, scepter, focus

And all of these weapons can get implemented thematically in warrior one way or another.
  • staff: polearm (requested by many players), either give it a spear or helbard playstyle
  • pistol: don't think this will be hard to implement, we already see heavy armored pistol users in the new map
  • shortbow: maybe more focused on mobility than langbow
  • focus: signal device, for example like a gunbai dansen which was used to give signals to troops on the battlefield, or maybe the fistfighting weapon you are requesting
  • scepter: could also be a signal device, have to admit that this is a stretch, tho

Scepter is the most problematic to implement for me, but even without it, we have 4 weapons left which we can easily find a niche for.Which means we still have room for 4 new elite spec.... we currently just have 2, third is coming. We can stretch elite specs for many years to come still, even for warrior. And I actually doubt that we will get so many more elite specs.

So I don't really see the need to implement new weapons to the game. As I said, it is fun to dream about it. But realistically, I can't see there being enough benefit in new weapons for it to be worth for Anet to create them. The pool available is enough to fill all the needs for the coming years, even for warrior. Other classes have an even wider pool to pick from.

Actually, there are more weapon options than you guys think. POF showed that new elites can have access to weapons they already use in one hand add to another hand, like Ranger's Soulbeast. So to think we have to add weapons for new elites because we're running out of options makes no sense. Warrior already has a bola and thief has a scorpian wire as a utility skills, should they have been weapons too?

I don't think they're going to be more than 5 elites, and even if so, there's enough weapons and weapon combinations they could currently use before coming out with more weapons. In fact your idea of weapon skins are fitting enough.

I came up with my ideas of elites they could make with the current elite listed and the weapons that are currently in the game.

Warrior-1) Berserker with a Torch, Rage skills and Berserker mode which gives new Berserker Bursts abilities.2) Spell Breaker with dual Daggers, Meditations, and Full Counters mechanic that absorbs and counter attacks surrounding foes.3) Warlord with Melee Staff, hired Recruits, and Bursts turn to Marks to place on the ground to aid allies on the battlefield.4) Champion with a main hand Shield, Punishment abilities that weakens or leaves foes vulnerable, and Protection mechanic, gives a barrier and tethers to allies, to absorb damage.*5) Ravager with dual Pistols, Traps, and Ravage Burst mechanic which provides new effect.

Guardian-1) Dragonhunter with Long Bows, Traps, and the ability turn their Virtues into Physical Constructs.2) Firebrands with a main hand Axe, Mantras, and changes their Virtues in to Tomes of several spells.3) Archon with an off hand Sword, glyphs, and the ability to attune to a Virtue at a time, like elementalist.4) Summoner with a War Horn, Summon mythical creatures for aid, and convert Virtues into Virtuous Pets to fight beside you.*5) Mystic with main hand Focus, Arcane Spells, and Virtuous Burst abilities.

Revenant-1) Hearld with a Shield, conjuring Dragon abilities, and able to tap into the Dragon Legend to buff them and their allies.2) Renegade with Short Bow, able to summon spiritual combatants, and harness a Legendary Warrior's ability to command ancient forces and charging your allies for battle.3) Overlord with dual Scepters, able to summon minions from the mist, and Over Charge their connection to their attune legend.4) Mist Walker with dual Pistols, the ability to use the mist offensively and defensively, and Merge Legend abilities, like the Weaver with their elements.*5) Rift Slayer with a Great Sword, and able to cast dimensional spells, and the timely ability to open or close a dimensional gate which exceeds their abilities.

Ranger1) Druid with a Staff, glyphs, and the ability to turn into a Celestial Avatar2) Soulbeast with a main hand Dagger, combat stances, and the ability to take in the spirit of their pet granting them animalistic abilities.3) Shaman with a off hand Focus, summoning Totems that buff them and their allies, and having the ability to transform into their pet, having all of their pets' abilities.4) Warden with an off hand Shield, summoning herds and commanding nature to do their bidding, along with controlling 2 pets at the same time.*5) Wanderer with a Hammer, having shouts to stifle their foes, and can summon random pets for a brief moment of time.

Engineer1) Scrapper with a Hammer, having mechanical Gyros that place wells at their destruction, and a personal gyro that revive an ally or finish a foe.2) Holosmith with a main hand Sword, the ability to conjure hard light, and the ability to Exceed their normal light abilities before they overheat.3) Machinist- with a main hand Mace, they can create gear for them and their allies, like ele conjure, and their new mechanic allows them to use their gears to assemble into a Battle Mech.4) Technomancer with a Great Sword, and Physical Cybrotronics abilities, and Mana that alters their Cybrotronics.*5) Med Tech with an off hand Focus, Preparation skills, along with Biomatrix mechanic for buffing them and their allies.

Thief1) Daredevil with a Melee Staff, Physical Skills for attacking foes, and offensive and defensive Dodge abilities.2) Deadeye with a Rifle, cantrips for manipulating foes, and a Deadeye Mark and Malice mechanic to cause extra damage to marked targets.3) Inquisitor with a Torch, Survival Skills to allude foes or buff abilities, and an Intuition mechanic that uses the initiative as a bonus to combat.4) Reaver with dual Maces, summoning their Thieves Guild to aid in combat, and their Steal abilities a Counter in combat.*5) Shadow Mage with an off hand Focus, Arcane Shadow spells, and can summon a Shadow Thief to steal from a distance.

Elementalist1) Tempest with a War Horn and Shouts to command the weather and elements, and the ability to Overcharge their attunements, cause mass devastation in their wake.2) Weaver with a main hand sword, combat Stances to manipulate the elements, and the ability to control two separate elements at the same time.3) Magus with a main hand Focus, able to cast Consecration Spells, and the ability to Sub-attune, granting the benefits of other elements, while no longer able to swap attunements.4) Rune Master with a Long Bow, able to cast Elemental Wells, and Mark the ground with elemental symbols when they attune, buffing allies and damaging foes.*5) Arcanist with an off hand Scepter, the ability use Mantras, and attune to a 5th Element "the Arcane"

Mesmer1) Chronomancer with a Shield, Wells to control time, and a new mechanic Continuum Split, so they can go back in time.2) Mirage with a main hand Axe, Deception spells, and a Mirage Cloak that allows them to evade attacks without even moving.3) Enchanter with a Short Bow, enchanting Shouts, with their Shatter Skills having new abilities, making their clones Enchantments, buffing the allies close by instead of damaging foes.4) Psionic with a main hand Pistol, Sabotage skills work like Cantrips, and they have only have one Clone at a time but can be treated as 3 clones in 1.*5) Conjurer with dual Daggers, that can Summon illusionary beasts that later turns to clones, and conjure 5 clones instead of 3, but the shatter ability only effects foes around the caster.

Necromancer1) Reaper with Great Sword, Shouts that frighten their opponents, and a Reaper Shroud for close combat.2) Scourge with a Torch, Punishment abilities that torment and corrupt, and summons Shades to damaging foes close by.3) Diabolist with a Hammer, able to cast Tricks that damage foes, and can transform into a Demon Shroud.4) Death Stalker with a Rifle, Traps, and Stalking Spirits mechanics that can revive an ally or finish a foe.*5) Warlock with a off hand Shield, Glyphs, and a new mechanic that turns their life force into a Burst depending on their main hand weapon.

@Taril.8619 said:

These make no sense. What the guy you replied to meant was that you can easily get the weapon archetypes you are asking for here by giving other weapons a fitting skin and then
give a kit fitting for this weapon type you request to a class that doesn't wield the weapon yet

It makes perfect sense.

ANet doesn't
NEED
to give new weapon kits and by extention, new access to weapons for classes.

Just how many elites do you think this game is going to make?

I was talking specifically about the warrior and the open weapon slots for it here and while there is a precedence that ranger got a weapon they can already use, they got it on a position that was locked before (dagger was offhand only for them, soulbeast gave it to their mainhand).

And this precedence changes nothing for the warrior here, since there are no weapons for the warrior they can use on either mainhand or offhand they can't use in both positions if possible.

While I like some of your suggestions, I think some of them are also highly unlikely to happen.Weapons which are restricted to offhand currently surely won't become able to wield in the mainhand, which means your specialisation for warrior using shield in the mainhand is most likely not going to happen in my opinion.Same applies for: mainhand focus on guardian, offhand scepter on revenant, mainhand focus on ele, offhand scepter on ele

I think you should probably give these specs different weapons.

I was talking specifically about the warrior and the open weapon slots for it here and while there is a precedence that ranger got a weapon they can already use, they got it on a position that was locked before (dagger was offhand only for them, soulbeast gave it to their mainhand).

And this precedence changes nothing for the warrior here, since there are no weapons for the warrior they can use on either mainhand or offhand they can't use in both positions
if possible

While I like some of your suggestions, I think some of them are also highly unlikely to happen.Weapons which are restricted to offhand currently surely won't become able to wield in the mainhand, which means your specialisation for warrior using shield in the mainhand is most likely not going to happen in my opinion.Same applies for: mainhand focus on guardian, offhand scepter on revenant, mainhand focus on ele, offhand scepter on ele

I think you should probably give these specs different weapons.

Although it may have unlikelyhood, nothing is actually restricted. That's just the current situation of the weapon skills being off hand only, right now. There is nothing preventing the Devs from allowing one-handed weapons from being used in both hands. It's much more likely for them to make one-handed weapons dual weld than to make aquatic weapons usable on land or make a new weapon. The only weapons I can see being off hand only is the Torch and the Warhorn because there would be no real reason to have a main hand version.

Scepter being off hand is just as useful as every other dual weld weapon, especially since it usually used as a magical casting weapon. Foci being dual weld would serve the same purpose as Scepter, and just have different types of spells. Shield is just fitting for a Warrior. I'm not expecting any other profession to be able to dual weld a shield, making the Warrior truely able of dual welding all weapons except magical casting ones, since traditionally Warriors can't cast spells.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

Although it may have unlikelyhood, nothing is actually restricted. That's just the current situation of the weapon skills being off hand only, right now. There is nothing preventing the Devs from allowing one-handed weapons from being used in both hands. It's much more likely for them to make one-handed weapons dual weld than to make aquatic weapons usable on land or make a new weapon. The only weapons I can see being off hand only is the Torch and the Warhorn because there would be no real reason to have a main hand version.

Scepter being off hand is just as useful as every other dual weld weapon, especially since it usually used as a magical casting weapon. Foci being dual weld would serve the same purpose as Scepter, and just have different types of spells. Shield is just fitting for a Warrior. I'm not expecting any other profession to be able to dual weld a shield, making the Warrior truely able of dual welding all weapons except magical casting ones, since traditionally Warriors can't cast spells.

I think these weapons are actually restricted to offhand only by design. This is not just a random occurrence, but something that seems intentional by Anet.

Why do I think that? Because they acknowledge the difference between these weapons on an economical level.One example for this: dungeon tokens.

There are 3 cost classes for weapons you can purchase with dungeon tokens:2handed weapons cost 390 tokensmainhand weapons cost 300 tokensoffhand weapons cost 210 tokens

Focus, shield, torch, warhorn... these weapons are made cheaper than the others. Because their usage is restricted to the offhand only, they won't even provide you an auto attack.And making a mechanical change to the game like making these weapons able to wield in the mainhand also doesn't have enough benefit. Warrior has enough weapons to chose from without making that stunt, there is no need to enable them to wield shields in the mainhand.

I actually consider it more likely for spears to be usable on land than to make offhand weapons available for the mainhand or vice versa.... And I think the chances for spear are actually really low.

@Kodama.6453 said:

I think these weapons are actually restricted to offhand only by design. This is not just a random occurrence, but something that seems intentional by Anet.

Why do I think that? Because they acknowledge the difference between these weapons on an economical level.One example for this: dungeon tokens.

There are 3 cost classes for weapons you can purchase with dungeon tokens:2handed weapons cost 390 tokensmainhand weapons cost 300 tokensoffhand weapons cost 210 tokens

Focus, shield, torch, warhorn... these weapons are made cheaper than the others. Because their usage is restricted to the offhand only, they won't even provide you an auto attack.And making a mechanical change to the game like making these weapons able to wield in the mainhand also doesn't have enough benefit. Warrior has enough weapons to chose from without making that stunt, there is no need to enable them to wield shields in the mainhand.

I actually consider it more likely for spears to be usable on land than to make offhand weapons available for the mainhand or vice versa.... And I think the chances for spear are actually really low.

That a great reason, but I think they could keep it that way due to how I think the weapons would be disputed among each profession, few would pick the current off hand weapons, so that's fine.

We know that is highly unlikely that new weapons are going to be added.But we can have a bit of fun here, can't we?

● ScytheLoved the attack dancing moves that Dervishes did back in the day.I find it to be one of the most stylish weapons there ever existed.

● WhipsPerfect for mesmers... as I always seen them as some sort of Horse Riders too.

● Land SpearsJust like dervish... Paragon spears is one of my favourite weapons.Guardians and Warriors would love this.

● Shuriken.Good for thieves mostly.Could be used in either hand.

● Pole-Axe / Pole BladesAlready suggested by many, but would like to add my own.

● Chained Spiked BallDon't know official name of it, but Gladiators used it a lot.

● BoomerangsPerhaps better suited for Rangers?Anyways, could be interesting.

● CrossbowWhy not?

That's about it, I think.

I don't even want a weapon. Yes, that means that i want to punch things to death. If they really need to put some "weapon" for it, they could just make some of those signets for your hands/legs and that help, because magic. Indeed, would be great for all classes, a little different for everyone.Like warrior uses fists only, ranger uses some magic claws, mages throw spells from their palm (they already do this, why do they even need the staff?).

Spear.

It's was pretty much the core, standard weapon of war, defense, hunting, what-have-you, for pretty much every culture for countless centuries. Always bugs me that the spear is virtually absent from most MMO's, when - at least from a historical perspective - it should be the first weapon designed in every game.