Best Support Class

I'm just getting back into play GW2 and my wife want to join me, I wanted to do a support role and wanted to get into doing raids and such so I was looking at the Mesmer Chronomancer or a Ranger Druid but I'm not sure someone said we should just do whatever classes we want, what should I do so that I can be helpful in raids/Strikes

Druid is good in raids, it's the best healer in the game.

Boon Chrono has started to fall to the wayside in favour of the "Firebrigade" combo (Guardian Firebrand and Revenant Renegade) which provide the same boons as Chrono, but have an easier time doing so.

Really, most classes can provide decent support for Raids. Though the primary ones are Druid (For healing), Firebrand (For Quickness boons), Renegade (For Alacrity boons) and Warrior (For Banners)

Other classes can support pretty well though, Elementalist Tempest can heal decently, Necromancer Scourge can assist with healing via Barriers, Engineer Scrapper can provide some healing and Chronomancer can provide Quickness and Alacrity boons.

Telling someone druid is the best healer is a trap. The class is completely non-functional outside of raids. If they ONLY care about raids, then yes, but make sure you tell them how underwhelming the class is in any other form of content before they go hard into druid.

Firebrand, tempest, and scourge are all playable in every game mode as a support/healer.

Tempest is not great in fractals or raids compared to Firebrand but is very strong in PvP.Scourge is not very good in PvP but still relatively playable.Firebrand is not that great in PvP compared to tempest but still playable. It's the best fractal healer.Druid is not a healer outside of raids.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I do not want to open another topic on this matter so I post here if the author does not mind 🙂

I would like to switch my gameplay to a more supportive role but most searches gives tons of variants.

Which profession/elite spec is the most viable support currently overall?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Gerebos.1065 said:

Hello,

I do not want to open another topic on this matter so I post here if the author does not mind 🙂

I would like to switch my gameplay to a more supportive role but most searches gives tons of variants.

Which profession/elite spec is the most viable support currently overall?

Thanks

Currently groups run 2 variants.  The first is using Heal Alacrity Mechanist (HAM) with Quickbrand.  The second uses Healbrand with Alacrity Mechanist of some kind.

Since the release of EoD, there has been a lot of work done to give nearly every profession a viable support role.  Each profession can do at least one of Alacrity or Quickness, and many can choose from both.  For the more casual groups, you can use just about any combination of the two  A quick breakdown for each profession:

Elementalist: Tempests can trait to have alacrity while Catalysts can trait to have quickness.  Tempests work well as healers, while Catalysts are more for hybrid support + DPS.

Mesmer: Mirage can do alacrity.  Chronomancers can choose either quickness or alacrity.  Both are usually run as a hybrid, but Chronomancer is sometimes used as a tank + off healer.

Necromancer: The Harbinger can grant quickness.  Scourge has no boon support but is often run as a backup healer due to all the barrier.

Engineer: HAM was mentioned above.  Scrappers can give quickness.  Both can be run as either healer or DPS, but Scrapper is rarely run as a healer in PVE.

Thief:  Specters give alacrity, and can be run as a hybrid or a healer.

Ranger: All variants can run alacrity.  Druid is used for a healer spec while Untamed is run for damage.

Warrior:  All Variants can give quickness.  To my knowledge there is no elite spec dedicated to running support, as quickness warrior is rarely used.

Revenant:  Herald can give quickness while Renegade can give alacrity.  Both are generally ran as hybrid DPS, but both can also be run as a healer.

Guardian:  Firebrands can give quickness.  Technically Willbender can give alacrity, but it is very rarely, if ever, used.  Firebrands work as both a healer and as a hybrid DPS.

Note that all of these specs listed can be run as a pure DPS with no additional support options taken.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3