So, the change to mount stomp seems reasonable..

LetoII.3782

Thank goodness. The original mindset of Warclaw being this major game changing force in large battles was never the correct idea to handle a mount in WvW. I wish they'd just remove the stomp all together, Warclaw already is strong enough as a mobility tool in a game mode where mobility is important.

EDIT: Yes I misread the notes thank you for pointing it out I thought Superior Maul still had a single stomp on it! :)

@Celsith.2753 said:Rip warclaw. One of the few things that actually aided against a larger or compd group when your server didnt have one. VIva la blob.

With no statistical or factual data to back up my statement, I will suggest the people who suffered most often from the mount stomp were those who were outnumbered...not from those they were fighting, but from the rando who happened to be passing by or returning to tag who scored a cheap, effortless and undeserved kill by pressing their 1 key. Sure the outnumbered group could get help in the same way, but statistically, the more people a server has on the map, the more likely one of their randos will jump into your fight.

I'm actually really really happy with the ability that ANET replaced it with. Not because it is good - far from it. It is the most amateurishly designed ability I've seen added to this game in a while; almost like something that was doodled down on a bar napkin and slapped in at the last minute. Why I'm happy is because I worried what ANET would replace it with - whether or not they would just make the situation worse by trying to fix the stomp. So now we have a fairly useless ability in it's place, so one less thing to worry about.

I've been critical of the mount stomp since week 1, and thankfully it is gone.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Celsith.2753 said:Rip warclaw. One of the few things that actually aided against a larger or compd group when your server didnt have one. VIva la blob.

With no statistical or factual data to back up my statement, I will suggest the people who suffered most often from the mount stomp were those who were outnumbered...not from those they were fighting, but from the rando who happened to be passing by or returning to tag who scored a cheap, effortless and undeserved kill by pressing their 1 key. Sure the outnumbered group could get help in the same way, but statistically, the more people a server has on the map, the more likely one of their randos will jump into your fight.

Now it's ONLY going to favor blobs.. just like almost everything else. I don't see anything that takes away tools from pugs desperately trying to stop a meta squad blob as a positive.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

the people who suffered most often from the mount stomp were those who were outnumbered...not from those they were fighting, but from the rando who happened to be passing by or returning to tag who scored a cheap, effortless and undeserved kill by pressing their 1 key.

Yup we get lots of successful rezzes off while a swarm of scourges stand around us doing aoe. Same with traditional stomps, totally doable in the middle of an enemy zerg.<,<

@Celsith.2753 said:

Now it's ONLY going to favor blobs.. just like almost everything else. I don't see anything that takes away tools from pugs desperately trying to stop a meta squad blob as a positive.

No, now it is equally useless to both sides. Same thing with a DB: you can say it's great for 5 players to fight off 20, and you'd be correct...until you recognize that only 1 of your 5 players has a DB while in that squad of 20 they have 3.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

No, now it is equally useless to both sides. Same thing with a DB: you can say it's great for 5 players to fight off 20, and you'd be correct...until you recognize that only 1 of your 5 players has a DB while in that squad of 20 they have 3.

You're probably right as the large squads didn't bother utilizing it much. Why would you when you can just have 20 people aoe the body.

Ok ArenaNet, just remove mount at this point. While at it now I am fully on board with getting rid of downstate. Make it happen, downstate just benefits the side with more numbers. You just empower the zerg more and more. This really wasn't used that much already but it still had tactical play if you could get some one out of combat. So remove mount and let's remove downstate.

@Celsith.2753 said:

Well, good news, they just buffed the kitten kitten out of Scourge, so make one, join the blob, and enjoy the thrill of the new game mode:

Scourgelands: The Floor is Lava!

Enjoy the thrill as you move forward while mashing F1 to F4 per the request of the dorito!

Feel the sense of accomplishment as you can't even tell who you tagged in the sea of red circles you have joined!

Sense that they are trying to kill the mode so we'll stop asking about Alliances that they have no intention to deliver!

Warclaw could easily be removed now... the downed stomp was the only good reason for warclaw to exist, and basicly the only chance for pug zergs to kill off guild zerg players for good... but i guess it makes the game even easier for guild zergs and that is what anet had intended. Oh and reducing the target limit to one in the same patch is just overkill. Very nice work from the devs i have to say.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:No, now it is equally useless to both sides.Indeed. On foot a single ranged autoattack does more damage.

People seem to forget that downed people have 40-60k hp - even if you did 5k damage with a mount that's just around 10% hp taken off... and if someone else is working on reviving the downed person while a mount is "stomping", they revive 15% a second.

Meaning, a mount "stomp" does literally nothing, they could have just ignored the downed state damage "buff" completely, 20% extra damage is a joke. If it had actually done like 30% hp loss then we would be talking at least a little effective (ie 3 people need to stomp to fully kill someone downed).

Stomp was one of the only decent things left on the mount.Warclaw is pretty much nothing more than a glorified perma swiftness buff now.. it's almost completely useless in WvW, the only game mode it was actually useful in.

At this point Anet might as well make Warclaw decent in PvE because there is pretty much no reason for it to exist in WvW anymore.

You know. I don't think people saying it helped the outnumbered side more actually have stepped back and thought about this.

Hot Take: If you are running in and mount stomping a 'boonballed' (such a stupid term) zerg repeatedly and respawning and coming back to do it again (or doing it over the corpses of your dead allies as they clamber to generate downs for you to do it) you AREN'T outnumbered. You're just abusing the fact you can respawn and run back repeatedly in a situation where your enemies cannot as effectively.

If this was actually a tactic that helped smaller groups fight larger ones, you would see such things when you push into enemy T3 objectives by small groups or something. You don't. It is almost entirely a tool utilized to abuse respawning to overwhelm your opponent with sheer numbers (yes, numbers) because they cannot compete against your limitless body count. If that is what is needed to hold your objective, Second Hot Take: You deserve to lose it.

This is biiiiig sad for me. Although I have been in the anti-warclaw camp since the beginning, the stomp (like many others have mentioned) was the one silver lining it had. It brought me countless laughs and just fun plays in general. More than just fun though, it was one of the few tools the outnumbered had to swing the tide of battle in their favor. With it gone, fighting hypercomped groups sounds like it will be a total waste of time as a pug-heavy server. Especially with Scourge revert, I don't think I'll be logging back in any time soon.

On the other hand, get kittened balli-hmpers. Maybe fights will evolve less quickly into degenerate open-field balli wars, but 20% probably isn't enough to stop that idiocy.

@"God.2708" said:You know. I don't think people saying it helped the outnumbered side more actually have stepped back and thought about this.

Hot Take: If you are running in and mount stomping a 'boonballed' (such a stupid term) zerg repeatedly and respawning and coming back to do it again (or doing it over the corpses of your dead allies as they clamber to generate downs for you to do it) you AREN'T outnumbered. You're just abusing the fact you can respawn and run back repeatedly in a situation where your enemies cannot as effectively.

^This. If you have the luxury, as an "outnumbered" group, to get a mount stomp off, without literally getting nuked in the following second you weren't as outnumbered as you thought. Not to mention, a group that outnumbers you has a much easier time just leaving players on their warclaws without being as impacted in the fight to insta stomp your downs; and this is what you see. When fighting vs a larger zerg, and people go down, it's usually the larger zerg that gets mount stomps. The other most frequent occasion is during small group skirmishes where someone goes down, and a rando from the other server just happens to be around and gets a free warclaw stomp. The latter case is literally 99% of the mount stomp cases I've witnessed/experienced, good riddance tbh.