Stereoscopic Rendering

Thank you for the response Jon. I know this is probably not a widely used feature but its very important to those of us that use it, and it's the one thing that keeps me coming back to this game, and getting the new expac. I just submitted a bug report on this as well, as I can confirm game now crashes with 3dvision on. Please fix this, game is amazing in 3d. (people have no idea what they are missing out on. While we are on the subject a while ago you guys updated the graphics and created light shaft/ god ray problem in certain areas and you cannot use high shaders. If these two things could be resolved along with the crashes it would be perfect again.

@Malice Wonder.6713 said:@Via Negativa.1059

Thanks for pointing this out! I gave up on stereoscopic because the nameplates lacking depth became too much of an annoyance to me. How do you work with that?

Also, I'd love to hear what equipment you use to play in 3D. Passive/Auto, what resolutions, application, etc?

Sadly the stereoscopic 3D option only works with an NVidia 3D Vision setup. I have an AMD card with TriDef 3D and can only play with the 2D nameplates.So in theory you can use anything that is supported by NVidia 3D Vision.On that note: Does someone know if 3D Vision supports VR Headsets?

Yes I think 3dvision is the only one with true support. Tridef is not even real 3d as far as I know, it's like the fake 3d they use in the movies. The name plates are at depth, the cursor is as well for that matter in 3dvision.

Forget 4k 3d gaming really is the single most impressive graphical improvement you can make to your system., and the Helix warapper and 3dmigoto with community support gets hundreds of games working perfectly. The fact it's overlooked in the gaming sphere is criminal. The only naysayers have usually never actually seen a real 3d supported game in action, and Guild wars 2 is one of the best in 3dvision.

As for VR unfortunately, nvidia promised full 3d integration and then mysteriously just stopped talking about it. I think certain games work with Vorpx but I believe that's depth buffer 3d as well.

I can confirm as of the latest patch, the game still crashes on startup =(

Yes, this happened after the 10-17-17 update, and I am as upset as any of you can get that 3D isn't working on GW2 anymore. I have spent over 3000.00 in GW2 over the years and jumped into 3D as soon as I could. I play other games and watch movies exclusively in 3D. Going back to 2D in GW2 is not an option. I will stop spending on GW2 and just let my accounts take up space on their servers, while I seethe. ArenaNet: Please Fix ASAP.

@Via Negativa.1059 TriDef can do both: Power 3D and true 3D. Power 3D is when the image only gets rendered once and objects are moved a bit to the side to create a 3D effect. The downside of this is that all objects have blurred edges left and right. For true 3D every image needs to be rendered twice, so it also requires twice the graphics performance. The big upside of TriDef is that it works with most 3D screens including all major 3D headsets. So before I switch to NVidia I wanted to know if 3D Vision has the same range of supported hardware. I'm currently using a 3D monitor by LG and last time I checked it was not supported by NVidia.

Another fact that has me disturbed is the silence I get from GW2 tech after sending my reports and asking them to simply tell me that they are working on the issue and not to worry...3D will remain in GW2. Their quiet on this issue is loud, looming, and cruel. If they think that VR is the way of the future and that is going to be their focus (Like what happened with Doom) then they are in for a rude awakening when they discover that people are just wearing those VR goggles until the fad wears off. 3D enthusiasts are not going away. The technology will change, no doubt, and become more comfortable, but 3D will always come back; because people like the immersion. VR is uncomfortable. Fix the 3D, please.

Have all of you seen the new file in the GW2 folder called "THIRDPARTYSOFTWAREREADME.txt?" That appeared after the update on 10-17 that messed up our 3D. Read it and contact the people directly. ArenaNet has given a third party rights to our game!!!! I actually called the guy in the text file, since he lists his phone number. Had to leave a message, but, maybe if he gets enough phone calls he will dig into his software that GW2 is using now and help to fix this 3D crash problem. Call him! I can't list his phone number here, or I could get sued, but you can find it easily enough near the bottom of the test file.

Drecien, are you able to use true 3D, with glasses and all? If so, please tell us what settings you are using. Since the 10-17 update everyone in the thread above has not been able to use 3D without an ArenaNet crash. As for your question, the cursor is a problem for all of us using 3D, but it is a minor inconvenience compared to a game crash when TRYING to use 3D.

Via, I am a little cynical when it comes to 3D vs VR. The new thing is VR and there are a lot of investors trying to make money on the new VR craze. But, let them NOT do it at the expense of those of us that love 3D. I don't want to lose the fantastic world of GW2 3D to some bum that just wants to ride the back of GW2 with his new VR friendly software. We need to shout in order to be taken to a priority level.

Hey, we can't let this issue drop. We have to keep up the pressure on ArenaNet until we are heard. In the real world we (meaning Humans) can't fix world problems without choosing which idiot to vote in to represent us. At least in a macro world like Guild Wars 2 we do have a voice. I'll bet you have spent a ton of money in GW2, as have most 3D enthusiasts. Let's do an Iggy Pop (slam around on the Web stage, until bloody) on ArenaNet until they give us what we want and need.

Forums on this subject all say the same thing; the GW2 10-17 patch, and inclusion of a third party in your graphics, is causing this misery for 3D enthusiasts. Please fix. Again, I ask on behalf of everyone that is affected, simply say that 3D in GW2 is here to stay and you are correcting the problem. It is the "here to stay" part that we really need to hear! :o

I have had the same problem trying to log-on in with Nividia 3D. I had no problems until the Halloween build came out, then it starting crashing when I tried to view it in 3D. The initial figure selection does load in 3D, but when you go to load a map (like Divinity's Reach), it crashes. If I turned off the 3D option, and I can sign in using 2D. I have re-loaded my driver, with a fresh reload three times, so the problem is not with the NIVIDA program. Thank you for looking into this problem. BTW, your 3D graphics are awesome!! Too bad many people never get to fully experience the stunning beauty and art your programmers have made. Keep up the great work!!

Stereoscopic 3D stopped working after 10-17-17 GW2 update. "DPI Scaling" was a feature added on that day (apparently, it is a third-party addition...which bothers me), however, simply unchecking that feature does not fix the fact that when running 3D the game will crash either right away, or after the opening introduction page. Sometimes you may get a few seconds into the game before it crashes. I have followed several threads by GW2 tech to try and fix this, because GW2 tech is saying, "well, it is a third-party addition and we are not responsible for that. So, you will have to contact graphics card vendor." So, I did contact NVidia, and they ran me through a few things, but inevitably they said the problem started with the 10-17 patch and therefore was a problem the game company has to re-patch to fix. 3D is HUGE for may of us GW2 players. When we saw that Stereoscopic rendering was supported in the "Options" panel we put together the time, money, and effort, to update our riggs to take advantage of this feature. Now, apparently a third party graphics vendor has been given charge of our beloved game and has ruined the 3D experience. It no longer works. All of us that paid dearly for 3D are now SOL, unless GW2 techs can fix the problem. I don't see this issue in "Known" bugs listed, so I am re-iterating this problem here. This needs to be fixed. Personally, I've spent a massive amount of money not only on the game, but also in 3D equipment. Until they fix the 3D rendering I am inclined not to spend a penny more, nor do much more in-game than the daily. To those of you that say, "so what? I don't have 3D and GW1 was not 3D" I say, well, we should all support each other no matter what platform we are each using. GW2 is played internationally by a wide variety of computer riggs and platforms. EQUAL RIGHTS for all of us, 3D, or not! GW2 gave us 3D and many of us paid to see it. How would you feel if you paid a high price to see a 3D movie and then when you got to the theatre the theatre told you that they are not going to show you 3D, but the price is the same regardless? You'd feel ripped off and demand compensation. Anyone interested in investigating the fact that 3D, or not, your GW2 game now has a third-party operating your graphics might want to read the new "THIRDPARTYSOFTWAREREADME.txt" in your GW2 root directory. Scary. If you read it you may also scroll down and find the phone number of the person responsible for this intrusion; call him if you want. Why not?

Thanks Dane. I turned-off my DPI Scaling, and then signed out; and signed back-in, and the 3D worked!! I noticed there was also a build update just prior to trying, so not sure if the DPI Scaling was the problem; but it was either that, or the new build has a fix. After playing in 3D for awhile, I turned the DPI scaling back on, and it still worked. As a final test, I signed-out, and signed back on (with DPI option still on), and still got 3D!! (Yippeee!!) I just hope it's permanently fixed. Thanks again...Alaina