So, what does the Warrior actually do well?

Mini.4806

See, my conception of the classic warrior is a class that hits hard and is a steel juggernaut that can take hard hits without breaking stride, lacking only in long range capabilities and group buffing potential. Berserker speaks for itself: it's fast, it's bursty, and it sacrifices defense for massive offensive potential. Spellbreaker is meant to cover some basic weaknesses and add a layer of tactics to the vanilla warrior, giving it both a new, faster weapon and the ability to counter-strike almost at will. Cool!

But in practice, the vanilla warrior doesn't hit any harder than any other melee class, let alone some of the ranged/spell-based ones, the berserker sacrifices defense for a bit of power that's rarely worth the trade-off, and the Spellbreaker is almost an apology for the horrific ranged options available to them. Like, you may not be able to hit back, but at least you can take one more pulse of condi from that fucking necromancer over there.

I always play melee classes in rpgs and games in general when given the option, but this may well be the most confusingly designed class I've ever seen. What in the fuck happened?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CC (mostly Melee) and being a sitting duck is the "best" Warriors can do.But around the average ratings (or at least Gold 1 and Silver 1,2), where the vast majority of the players and other participants sits, Warriors can still be quite effective.

You can go condi berzerker in WvW with trailblazer gear and be annoying af by spamming CC in mace/shield and dumping a bunch of a condi pressure through skull grinder...this is very good, until you realize that outside of duels your mobility is so awful that basically anyone can disengage from you and not have to deal with your actually high sustain and condi pressure or just slowly kill you from range.

@Edge.8724 said:Warrior is good at...

...placing banners in instanced pve?

Lot of people will disagree, but the whole class needs a rework to be on par, gameplay-wise and interest-wise to the other classes.

Mobile banners, damage back on CCs even if only via a trait, increased attack speed bonus stacking, shorter animations in general, extra mobility, fix long running bugs like axe 5 not giving the speed increase. Do all that and warrior would be in a better place.

I got a question so just how slow is hammer? and should dmg be increased by a lot and kept slow? or should they gain quickness like the way necros in reaper shroud do?

Or maybe they should adjust speed of the hammer a bit and increase dmg by a lot?

I heard it was good only in vanilla is that accurate?

@Axl.8924 said:I got a question so just how slow is hammer? and should dmg be increased by a lot and kept slow? or should they gain quickness like the way necros in reaper shroud do?

Or maybe they should adjust speed of the hammer a bit and increase dmg by a lot?

Considering I used to get 14k Backbreakers without 25 stacks of might or 25 stacks of vulnerability on a target, yeah it was great in vanilla.

Warrior hammer and Guardian hammer both kind of need to be reworked at this point. Both are slow AF high risk weapons. Warrior hammer at least used to de good damage to reward the risk of such slow telegraphed abilities, but since CmC decided that CC shouldn't ever do damage we're left with an incredibly slow weapon that cant really capitalize on its own CCs. If they brought the PvE Fierce Blow into the competitive mods then the weapon would be slightly better.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Axl.8924 said:I got a question so just how slow is hammer? and should dmg be increased by a lot and kept slow? or should they gain quickness like the way necros in reaper shroud do?

Considering I used to get 14k Backbreakers without 25 stacks of might or 25 stacks of vulnerability on a target, yeah it was great in vanilla.

Warrior hammer and Guardian hammer both kind of need to be reworked at this point. Both are slow AF high risk weapons. Warrior hammer at least used to de good damage to reward the risk of such slow telegraphed abilities, but since CmC decided that CC shouldn't ever do damage we're left with an incredibly slow weapon that cant really capitalize on its own CCs. If they brought the PvE Fierce Blow into the competitive mods then the weapon would be slightly better.

If it lost the CC and kept the dmg would it still be good? Example:If it was possible to make one CC on weapon with a cd that is good but does little dmg but the to her ones with no CC did a lot of dmg.

Also what makes warrior weapons diff from other class weapons? EG eles with lightning rod nec with their chill cripple?

Is it possible to decouple stuns without a huge overhaul to make ccs separate tool for ANET to control while also keeping damage?

Would huge overhauls be needed of the builds and skills be needed for this to work?

@Axl.8924 said:

If it lost the CC and kept the dmg would it still be good? Example:If it was possible to make one CC on weapon with a cd that is good but does little dmg but the to her ones with no CC did a lot of dmg.

Also what makes warrior weapons diff from other class weapons? EG eles with lightning rod nec with their chill cripple?

Is it possible to decouple stuns without a huge overhaul to make ccs separate tool for ANET to control while also keeping damage?

Would huge overhauls be needed of the builds and skills be needed for this to work?

Backbreaker is kind of iconic. It needs both the damage and the CC honestly. IF CC never gets its damage back though I'd change hammer 4 to remove the knockback and have it just be an AoE dps skill with a short cast time that deals more damage, or recharge more quickly, versus crippled foes for synergy with hammer 3.

Ele Lightning Rod is Anet F*cking up. The trait allows Ele to continue to deal damage with CCs, not that you should ever get killed by it mind you, but is a perfect example of their 'balance' decisions.

Chill and cripple are soft CCs, which Anet is okay with dealing damage, so Necro Chill/cripple just slows you down and doesn't stop you from responding.

The whole stun vs stability thing is a huge clusterf*ck right now. Honestly, I'd like to see a return to non stacking Stability, where stab isn't removed per CC, then reduce the durations of all stab sources, like at launch. There was no reason to remove damage from CC while at the same time reducing damage across the board.

To be honest, I'm 100% expecting next expansion to feature a new E-Spec for another class that lets them provide Banners, in much better ways than Warrior. Like, being passively provided by some BS new class mechanic.

Just like how they made Firebrand and Renegade take over from Chrono in the Alacrity + Quickness boon application.

Warrior will probably get a new E-Spec that's a horrible mess. Possibly also with a new dumb stat debuff stuck on it.

@Taril.8619 said:

To be honest, I'm 100% expecting next expansion to feature a new E-Spec for another class that lets them provide Banners, in much better ways than Warrior. Like, being passively provided by some BS new class mechanic.

Just like how they made Firebrand and Renegade take over from Chrono in the Alacrity + Quickness boon application.

Warrior will probably get a new E-Spec that's a horrible mess. Possibly also with a new dumb stat debuff stuck on it.

Nah, I think they will do the drawback like with Spellbreaker and limit us to one bar of Adrenaline for a spiffy new F2 that is more support oriented.

Nah, I think they will do the drawback like with Spellbreaker and limit us to one bar of Adrenaline for a spiffy new F2 that is more support oriented.

I wouldn't put it past them to do both...

@Taril.8619 said:

I wouldn't put it past them to do both...

That's only if we get an F3 as well :wink:

@Axl.8924 said:

Backbreaker is kind of iconic. It needs both the damage and the CC honestly. IF CC never gets its damage back though I'd change hammer 4 to remove the knockback and have it just be an AoE dps skill with a short cast time that deals more damage, or recharge more quickly, versus crippled foes for synergy with hammer 3.

Ele Lightning Rod is Anet F*cking up. The trait allows Ele to continue to deal damage with CCs, not that you should ever get killed by it mind you, but is a perfect example of their 'balance' decisions.

Chill and cripple are soft CCs, which Anet is okay with dealing damage, so Necro Chill/cripple just slows you down and doesn't stop you from responding.

The whole stun vs stability thing is a huge clusterf*ck right now. Honestly, I'd like to see a return to non stacking Stability, where stab isn't removed per CC, then reduce the durations of all stab sources, like at launch. There was no reason to remove damage from CC while at the same time reducing damage across the board.

Question how dependent on modifiers are you that involve stun? is there a modifier that says when mob is stunned you do 20% dmg more or something.?

If so should they be touched if stun amounts are reduced for something else to make more useful in a less stun dependent environment for warriors?

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

Question how dependent on modifiers are you that involve stun? is there a modifier that says when mob is stunned you do 20% dmg more or something.?

If so should they be touched if stun amounts are reduced for something else to make more useful in a less stun dependent environment for warriors?

Merciless Hammer does 20% more for hammer versus cc'd foes. It also gives 10 Adrenaline per foe you CC.

tldr: banners. your main large scale pve role is melee dps. for now pve meta is either power banner or condi banner.

other than that, warriors are easy to learn hard to master. underrated and exciting gameplay when you build differently, only class that offers nothing unique to its group. I know logic demands a heavy armor class should be able to tank or off tank or at least do that better than light armors. I'm ok with light armor tank idea only if warriors too can do what these guys normally do for the sake of balance and build diversity.
other than that, warrior is pretty much the anti matter of this game. has no access fancy buffs, no extra f skills, no I win buttons.

...and no flashy animations.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/3/31/Warrior_Wild_Blow.jpgthis was the concept art of the wild blow, looks cool right? but you need a 320hz monitor to see it because the damn animation appears on screen for less than 1 ms. and nobody from anet acknowledged it or attempted to fix it. when other classes' animations blinding me and covering half of my screen, warriors are not even getting what's already theirs.ding ding shame

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

Merciless Hammer does 20% more for hammer versus cc'd foes. It also gives 10 Adrenaline per foe you CC.

The question then is should merciless hammer be changed? or should CC dmg be incorporated in another way? if stuns and ccs are removed wouldn't it make this trait useless? and that adrenaline thingy that's like life force from nec and charges for guardians special move? how important is that adrenaline gain from that trait?

I think before changing something removing a lot of considerations has to be made and I don't really know about warrior since I never played one so maybe clearing this all up will bring ANET here to change hammer somehow for the better.

Are there any other considerations to be made in changes to traits alongside this to make warriors function better? how so?