Starting to Get Into WVW

mike.6957

I am starting to dip my toes into WvW. I joined a quild (Thanks [NEW] for letting me join with you) as they are a Darkhaven guild. I was playing with my Necro that I am working towards getting used to and enjoyed. However when I check metabattle, the builds are very glassy. I was thinking of adding some toughness and vitality to increase survival.

I want to get others opinions on what armor, trinkets, runes and sigils to work towards.

When I play, I mainly use the mouse for 6-0 and F1-F5 skills. So any other help would be great

Thanks in Advance

In a WvW group, your role as a necro is to rip boons and drop damage. Marauder stats are often a very reasonable concession to "I need to stay alive, too!" but there's no WvW equivalent to the SPvP Demolisher amulet, so anything you do to stack Toughness in a Power-based build is going to significantly impact your damage output.

If you're running with anything like an organized comp, basically 2/5 of the zerg is devoted to keeping you going — healing you, removing conditions, giving you Stability and Protection as well as some strong offensive boons. (Protection by itself is a 33% reduction to direct damage received, which is similar to like 1k extra Toughness. Stability is vital to necro since you don't have a lot of your own, so you'll get ping-ponged around pretty hard without it.) To survive, focus on moving with the group so you can consistently get all those buffs. The easiest way to kill you is when you lag behind or overextend.

Traits can also help you survive. If you're playing Reaper or Core Necro, "Unholy Sanctuary" in Death Magic will auto-cast your shroud (even if it's on cooldown) when you're about to die.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSABsid3lNweYHMEmJW0XlvMA-zVYYRSPtyUEFkxFUeJY7sonZE-w

if you're dying often then you shouldn't worry about your damage output too much. stack toughness and slowly take out the knights for zerk, one piece at a time over a week or a month or however long it takes. if you can afford marauder, try both that and knights and see what you can get away with. for marauder i would switch out as much zerk pieces as possible. watch youtube videos as they are helpful to learn about positioning and certain threats. there is a ton of stuff going on but the best can keep track of it all and act/ react accordingly. it'll take time but keep at it. oh and if you can't afford scholar runes go with pack.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSABsid3lNweYHMEmJW0XlvMA-zVYYRSPtyUEFkxFUeJY7sonZE-w

if you're dying often then you shouldn't worry about your damage output too much. stack toughness and slowly take out the knights for zerk, one piece at a time over a week or a month or however long it takes. if you can afford marauder, try both that and knights and see what you can get away with. for marauder i would switch out as much zerk pieces as possible. watch youtube videos as they are helpful to learn about positioning and certain threats. there is a ton of stuff going on but the best can keep track of it all and act/ react accordingly. it'll take time but keep at it. oh and if you can't afford scholar runes go with pack.

I like your idea of starting out in Knight armor and slowing switching to zerker as I get better. I think I have enough materials for 1 piece of Marauder armor.

@"mike.6957" said:I am starting to dip my toes into WvW. I joined a quild (Thanks [NEW] for letting me join with you) as they are a Darkhaven guild. I was playing with my Necro that I am working towards getting used to and enjoyed. However when I check metabattle, the builds are very glassy. I was thinking of adding some toughness and vitality to increase survival.

I want to get others opinions on what armor, trinkets, runes and sigils to work towards.

When I play, I mainly use the mouse for 6-0 and F1-F5 skills. So any other help would be great

Thanks in Advance

I've always promoted Pvt armor with hoelbrak runes, zerker weapons and trinkets and energy and force for the power necro. It's old school good news.

It's the minimum I've tried and used versus blobs as a commander and as a pug as necro core reaper and scourge.

The other choice is celestials. It's the go to set that works as 2nd best in all occasions especially if you don't want to change stats.

Once you have this set. Listen to your team and try to see the effect they want or end goal. So you can find means to make it happen .

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwEcEmpsBGC7hdwMxk3y8lB-z1YYhobEhZDuMysqqIFUaA-w

@mike.6957 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

I like your idea of starting out in Knight armor and slowing switching to zerker as I get better. I think I have enough materials for 1 piece of Marauder armor.

go with whats cheap then. pvt or soldiers + zerk like sov is talkin about is pretty cheap as you can buy pieces with karma at core end game orr zones. type in karma armor into gw2wiki. might be worth it to buy some with karma, some with gold, and some with badges of honor. generally speaking 20k hp is enough health in wvw depending on what class you're on (backline bombers that don't push with melee can get away with a lot less). the debate of how much armor to have is eternal and based entirely on what the role and how good you are.

Aye. If you have a good healer, you can probably survive well on zerk or knights zerk or cavalier zerk or Mara etc., But beware of the ranger. The moment you see them pew pew you it's time to dodge and hide on your commander.

The rise of the cloud especially if you face maguuma, you will see that it's no fun as a necro to be hyper focused. But it's not that hard to survive too. You can alter your utilities to have that poison anti range. Or be dire set with condi runes and sigils. Chill reaper is making a come back or power reaper.

The problem most ppl have with necro is it's slow. So warhorn is important. Or your team must have a means for speed x superspeed. I.e. pushing with glint elite revs

These are dark times for the necro with the nerfs but, you must rely on your allies.

In my old thread I've calculated the exact amount of stats u need to get 3k armor I'll have to figure it out again to share the proportion but even if you use this food helps more now.

Especially the food vit/toughness - power damage or -condi duration which I believe is probably the best overall general food right now

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@"mike.6957" said:I am starting to dip my toes into WvW. I joined a quild (Thanks [NEW] for letting me join with you) as they are a Darkhaven guild. I was playing with my Necro that I am working towards getting used to and enjoyed. However when I check metabattle, the builds are very glassy. I was thinking of adding some toughness and vitality to increase survival.

Thanks in Advance

I've always promoted Pvt armor with hoelbrak runes, zerker weapons and trinkets and energy and force for the power necro. It's old school good news.

It's the minimum I've tried and used versus blobs as a commander and as a pug as necro core reaper and scourge.

The other choice is celestials. It's the go to set that works as 2nd best in all occasions especially if you don't want to change stats.

Once you have this set. Listen to your team and try to see the effect they want or end goal. So you can find means to make it happen .

Big shades? No. Just take feed from corruption, survivability will shoot through the roof even on full zerk. Bloodmagic? No. Just no. Scourge has enough barrier as it is...

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Thanks in Advance

Big shades? No. Just take feed from corruption, survivability will shoot through the roof even on full zerk. Bloodmagic? No. Just no. Scourge has enough barrier as it is...

He can try either. There's no set rules.

But I'd urge he work his way from being tanky to glassy.

And the above back and forth is very common. Experience varies.

It was said earlier on by @ASP.8093 : ‘If you're running with anything like an organized comp, basically 2/5 of the zerg is devoted to keeping you going — healing you, removing conditions, giving you Stability and Protection as well as some strong offensive boons’To me, this is key to the discussion. You’ve been running with [NEW]. Are they a comp’ed group? Or are they mostly just enjoying themselves having fun.

@Voltekka.2375 , @Sovereign.1093 and @Stand The Wall.6987 are giving most of their advice based on comp’d groups. And likely they run tweaks to a generally accepted META. So their experience varies.

I would find out how [NEW] runs. If they are comped, they likely have a build they use for necro. Run that (traits especially) and tweak your armor/gear in ways that @Sovereign.1093 and @Stand The Wall.6987 suggested.

You’ll get there. Dead toons do no damage, but sometimes, if you don’t damage them fast enough, you are gonna die faster....

Welcome to WvW and it’s good to see new people.

If you want in on the action and play in the squads that are running in WvW:Just use one of the current meta builds for your class, and if you are a bit inexperienced add a bit of extra toughness/health so you can survive in the beginning. As you go along and get more comfortable, move closer to the recommended gear and build. And when you know your skill rotations you will see that you will survive just fine. And ofc fiddle a bit with the build to adjust it to your playstyle.

If you aim for roaming instead, I would strongly advice against sacrificing damage for toughness/more health. Wont do you any good.

Thanks for all the advice. Played a little during the Warbeast unlock and enjoyed it. I would sometimes go in to complete dailies and help get the Gift of Battle.

What I found interesting was I teamed up with the Guild for some runs and before I knew it, 2 hours had past. Time flew while playing. Just time to get better.

Now I just need to work on getting those Soldier Insignia since they are not craftable.

Necromancers have the highest health pools in the game, so it makes sense that they can get away with glass stats especially in a group. My Hammer Herald runs full zerk + mara trinkets in a zerg, and I have no issues with survival.

Nothing wrong with adding defensive stats to your gear, but I would advise a different path than what was given above. I find it is way easier to tinker with accessories than armor, mainly because you don't have to worry about salvaging the rune. Don't worry about ascended gear - you'll be just fine with Exotic gear, including weapons and accessories.

Each profession (Armorsmith, Weaponsmith) etc can create a LV 78 Exotic stat selectable back piece you can use to start you off. Jewellers can craft exotic earrings, rings and amulets, and they are usually pretty cheap since most players use ascended accessories from LW S3, S4 and S5 maps.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warlord%27s_Armor_Box is awarded for completing the final Bronze tier skirmish chest, once per week.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Armor_Box is awarded for completing the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Armor_Reward_Track

Both are chests which let you select 1 piece of stat selectable exotic armor of any weight. Great to have for alts you want to bring into WvW, or to tailor your existing character.

I ran with one of the commanders of [NEW] the other day and they knew their stuff, so I think you're in good hands.

Welcome to WvW.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Necromancers have the highest health pools in the game, so it makes sense that they can get away with glass stats especially in a group. My Hammer Herald runs full zerk + mara trinkets in a zerg, and I have no issues with survival.

Nothing wrong with adding defensive stats to your gear, but I would advise a different path than what was given above. I find it is way easier to tinker with accessories than armor, mainly because you don't have to worry about salvaging the rune. Don't worry about ascended gear - you'll be just fine with Exotic gear, including weapons and accessories.

Each profession (Armorsmith, Weaponsmith) etc can create a LV 78 Exotic stat selectable back piece you can use to start you off. Jewellers can craft exotic earrings, rings and amulets, and they are usually pretty cheap since most players use ascended accessories from LW S3, S4 and S5 maps.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warlord%27s_Armor_Box is awarded for completing the final Bronze tier skirmish chest, once per week.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Armor_Box is awarded for completing the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Armor_Reward_Track

Both are chests which let you select 1 piece of stat selectable exotic armor of any weight. Great to have for alts you want to bring into WvW, or to tailor your existing character.

I ran with one of the commanders of [NEW] the other day and they knew their stuff, so I think you're in good hands.

Welcome to WvW.

I am taking your advice on just using trinkets and maybe runes to help with survival. Like someone said before "Dead men do no damage"I am currently running the Triumphant Reward track to unlock armor for creating the legendary version of the heavy armor for my warrior main.