Learning to love my Mesmer

Bluntdaddy.3914

Just a quick post to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

I tried and failed to enjoy mesmer's for year. If you asked me why I couldn't get on board, I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe the learning curve was alittle too steep. Maybe they just felt alittle weak when you first make them.

I have recently boosted a sylvari mesmer, and am halfway through PoF. And she is quickly becoming my preferred character. I have fallen in love with the mind-asssassin playstyle of the mirage, teleporting around, creating and shattering clones and mirrors, while "backstabbing" like crazy.

Did any of you take some time to get used to the unorthodox playstyle? Can you think of another class in another MMO that is even remotely similar?

I had the same experience with my Mirage. Tried leveling a Mesmer here and there since starting at launch, but always ended up deleting them to make room for other classes.

Played my Holosmith and Scourge for a bit but after seeing some of the flashy effects (and having far too many tomes of knowledge) I thought what the hay, I'll try it.

Fell in love as well! Feels so mobile and I enjoy blinking around things, shattering all my clones and axe 3 is really satisfying to have 3 clones up, your target about to die to the DoTs then axe 3 to a new enemy and shatter! (When axe 3 works of course... Seems to be finicky sometimes)

Definitely isn't as durable as my Scourge. But once I started getting used to the lack of a standard dodge and all my dodging capabilities I soon found I was quite resilient!

Slowly getting a Chrono build for party-ing up. But the Mirage has me for open-world/solo play :)

@Bluntdaddy.3914 said:Just a quick post to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

I tried and failed to enjoy mesmer's for year. If you asked me why I couldn't get on board, I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe the learning curve was alittle too steep. Maybe they just felt alittle weak when you first make them.

I have recently boosted a sylvari mesmer, and am halfway through PoF. And she is quickly becoming my preferred character. I have fallen in love with the mind-asssassin playstyle of the mirage, teleporting around, creating and shattering clones and mirrors, while "backstabbing" like crazy.

Did any of you take some time to get used to the unorthodox playstyle? Can you think of another class in another MMO that is even remotely similar?

I just dusted off my mesmer today to try mirage out. I never really liked mesmer previously, but so far mirage is looking promising. The deception skills and ambush mechanics look and feel great. I am having a blast blinking all over the battlefield!

Now that I've gotten better with it, I'm actually starting to enjoy the mirage. Bugs aside, the Mirage is fairly reminiscent of the daredevil, which was my favorite class from HoT. I like the high evasion time, but I love the aggression. When fighting Ensolys I can stay on him constantly, popping mirrors when I want to evade. I find the clone build to be the funnest out of the bunch, even if it is weaker than the phantasm build.

I still think it needs better traits and utilities, and I don't like how it is high maintenance and hard to play, but when I can pull it off it is pretty fun.

Mesmer was my second 80 toon and i immediately stopped playing him. Came back around for mirage and Love it in PvP. I don't play the condi aspect though, I play a Tele all over the place glass Shatter build that is really fun. Probably not as strong as say Staff + S/T Carrion build but I hate staff and like big numbers. I Love this spec.

@Bluntdaddy.3914 said:Just a quick post to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

yes, same here. the only downside is when fighting something on a limited space platform or something which is high above the ground... so sometimes will fell off to the ground while fighting.But overall, Mirage really let me love my mesmer again!

Tbh mirage made me love/hate mesmer. I love sword ambush , mirage cloak , jaunt and elusive mind for example.

But i hate those bugs and calling mirage mantle a master trait feels wrong too. I hate that AN starts going on to balancing other classes without Fixing every bug first. I hate that i cant play axe im MY desired gamemodes, cause it Kills me there.

Gimme 2 months and ONE decent Patch to clear this, and i will never play something else for sure.

Excuse the whining at some points, im just sad (:

@K THEN.5162 said:

@msalakka.4653 said:Play core mesmer in WvW and come tell me how much fun you're having.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not XD but I've experienced some of my best WvW moments when playing on my core mesmerI did too. I have 9k hours in WvW with it. I enjoyed it a lot before HoT, got on so-so after HoT specs came out, and now with the new braindead elites around it's a pretty painful uphill battle in almost any scenario.

@msalakka.4653 said:Play core mesmer in WvW and come tell me how much fun you're having.

If you ever ported an entire zerg on a stonemist castle balcony after fighting and defending your position up there, knocking people to their deaths, there would be no question for you. Personally Mesmer is my favourite profession. And WvWvW my favourite mode.

@Bluntdaddy.3914 said:Can you think of another class in another MMO that is even remotely similar?

There's only one that comes to my mind: the Enchanter Wizard in DDO. Though he has no illusions but charms enemies to make them fight at his side. The highest difficulty level dungeons have a charm duration hard cap, because it trivializes nearly every content. I'd love to see an elite specc for Mesmer similar to this playstyle but it probably will never happen.

• 2 years later...