Revert the changes to Sevenshot

LoreChief.8391

Just started playing again recently only to find out that they nerfed the best and most interesting skill on Rev SB.

For those just tuning in, Sevenshot used to be an AoE skill that utilized an interesting ground target reticle that had all arrows converting to a point, and damaged enemies within that pattern for up to 7 hits depending on how many arrows they got filled with.

Now it is a target-required attack with no interesting features.

If at any point in 2020 you, as a developer, think to yourself; "Hey let's turn an interesting attack into a tab-target skill", you need to re-think your career, because you've just made an absolutely terrible decision.

Revert the changes, put Sevenshot back where it was before.

Troll post? there was no way to reliably and consistently hit all shots like it does now. Because you lost the freedom to aim doesn't mean it's bad. Shortbow is actually way more viable than it was before.

They should actually learn from that improvement and revert Hammer to what it was, only change the damage like it was SUPPOSED to be.

I'd rather they do not revert it. The shortbow, whilst mechanically interesting and aesthetically appealing, fails in practical use. Bloodbane's Path tends to miss predictably moving foes (let's not mention how awful it is versus those moving erratically). Sevenshot only had the chance for 100% damage if you were exactly at maximum range. If you were further away, then you get 0% (unlike many other projectile skills that can benefit from arcing). And if you were closer, it could hit for like 0~14%. It sucked, it was useless in most practical situations. Spiritcrush may sound like some neat breakbar damage coupled with burning but it doesn't hit fast enough for anything not immobile to suffer from it. And lastly, all it takes for Scorchrazor to miss is a simple strafe.In the end, the shortbow is a weapon that can only work if you target doesn't move. And guess what, it lacks any kind of soft CC and has only one weak, easy-to-miss, slow-moving and projectile-based hard CC. It looks good but it is terrible to use. Be happy that now it has at least a chance to damage with its signature skill.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:I agree with the OP. It needs to be reverted and the change needs to be applied to skill2 instead. It was a skill shot before. Now it’s braindead because Anet listened to some skill-less players. Meanwhile, 2 is still a waste of space.

A skill shot that has no reward at all even if you more than often land it right. Having to line up the shots are one thing, requiring also a pixel perfect distance is bad design.

cdps rev, who has in rotatin mallyx+sb on swap was viable only at large hitbox enemies and now class can dps with all its potential and its not depends on how large hitbox is. mallyx-sb tate required meelee range, while 7shot required a distance to hit with all projectiles. Changes are good actually.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:I agree with the OP. It needs to be reverted and the change needs to be applied to skill2 instead. It was a skill shot before. Now it’s braindead because Anet listened to some skill-less players. Meanwhile, 2 is still a waste of space.

Yea, I’m going to rescind this. After playing extensively with rev this weekend, I’ve changed my mind about it and I agree it’s better. I do miss the skillshot aspect to it, but I think mechanically it’s better now.

However, my point with 2 still stands. It needs fixing.

I'm pretty sure bloodpath is meant to be used in consequence of other effects because if it was to always land it would be pretty strong with sevenshot now, that still however doesn't excuse the fact it can miss because of height differences or somehow because it wants to? Shortbow feels pretty nasty in PvP now, sure WvW is the same, it's a good tradeoff considering it's also the only shortbow with no evade skills to sustain the user at all, extremely vulnerable.

If you're more concerned with your output, then simply take the current version of Sevenshot and replace SB2 with it, and then still put Sevenshot back to where it was. Skill shots are inherently interesting skills, "push button, generate numbers" is not. I understand I'm in the minority here, but its just so terribly boring to use the new version.

@"LoreChief.8391" said:If you're more concerned with your output, then simply take the current version of Sevenshot and replace SB2 with it, and then still put Sevenshot back to where it was. Skill shots are inherently interesting skills, "push button, generate numbers" is not. I understand I'm in the minority here, but its just so terribly boring to use the new version.

I wouldn’t be opposed to the reversion. I think the old skillshot way was much more fun. But, I doubt they’ll revert it.

Please don't, I love the new Sevenshot. I could only use the old one at the very beginning of the fight, before engaging, if the opponent stood still and I was at max range. Sure, it felt good, but you know what felt bad? When the enemy moved 10cm, and thus he received 0% damage. The fact that it was okay on large hitbox bosses in raids is just simply not enough reason to justify the old version.Now let's hope they do something to Skill 2. (Which now, actually is very similar to Skill 3, so maybe replace 2 with 3, and add a totally new skill 3, like a movement ability, or a large bursting attack that damages only the first enemy and does not pierce... Spice it up, shortbow is so cool!)

Sevenshot now is actually usable whereas before it was about as reliable as the 2 skill. Flashy? Maybe. Functional? Absolutely not, and we should never prioritize the former over the latter. Now the opposite is true and it should stay that way. Maybe now we can rework the 2 skill into being usable or changing it to a utility skill over damage. While we're at it, change Spiritcrush to be able to shoot behind you because there's no reason for this to be so clunky still.

The former sevenshot might have more dmg ( i dont know) but its a fact that in actual combat you almost never got the 7 shots to hit , also , when an enemy was close the dmg would be reduced greatly, now at least we can hit mid and close range enemies with more than 1 arrow wich is a buff , and even in pvp or wvw the acuracy would be the same as the att speed is the same and the range too , well maybe you can no longer make predicts but seriously those predicts would be more luck than skill most of the time because even the slightest movement could make you fail .Now that said its true that the skill is an upgraded version of sb2 , so maybe changing sb2 for a skillshot would be the way to go ,now everyone wants movement skills but i think we have enought mov with legends already , i mean shiro has 2 , mallynx 1 , jalis has dmg reduction and kalla , well kalla has its summons that can help in defense, i think it would be better changing one summon from kalla , maybe the cc , to a movement skill , maybe a retreat while leaving a summon that makes cc ( but less cc than now to compensate).So sevenshot is fine now , we dhould focus on other skills to complement it , also we have citafel bombardment , wich , in anything thats not a huge hitbox fails half of the shots , i realy dont like that a class dmg depends on the rng that much , if the enemy is in the area of the skill it should be possible to make all the dmg with the skill.

@zaswer.5246 said:The former sevenshot might have more dmg ( i dont know) but its a fact that in actual combat you almost never got the 7 shots to hit

The new one has the same damage per shot, just slightly longer cast time. However, as you mention the old one rarely hit all unless at the perfect distance or on large/huge hitboxes. The new one reliably hits all 7 times and therefore does more damage than the old in almost every scenario

The ability to pull together a pack of mobs using using Call to Anguish and hit them all with a point-blank Sevenshot is really, really satisfying.

I also like how reliably Sevenshot charges up Kalla's Fervor now. The shortbow's got much more of a consistent flow now, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to make a few corrections here. It was not fact that the old skill missed all 7. This is your personal fault due to skill shot usage. It was on you to land the shots. For example, 9 times out of 10, I was able to land all 7 shots in actual combat. Old skill 3 was functional, it just depended on personal skill, which obviously the major of players lacked or it wouldn’t have gotten changed.

@"jpsssss.7530”, I think your thinking of skill 2, old skill 3 was much faster than new skill 3.