Want to use DirectX 12 [DX12] for GW2? Here's a guide on using the D912PXY on Windows 10 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home

Want to use DirectX 12 [DX12] for GW2? Here's a guide on using the D912PXY on Windows 10

Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 1, 2020 in Account & Technical Support

Hi!

Update 30/09/2020 see release of Version 2.3

This is a major revision and release with some exciting new performance related implementations

Release notes are as follows:-

Version v2.3

Summary
32-bit builds are now available for manual installation
This allows tool to be used for number of other games that does not have 64-bit builds

Added overlay toggle hotkey tip in overlay that is showed for number of seconds from startup
There was lot of confusion about default hotkey combo.
Now you can see it on startup!

Shader profiles are not longer used
Shadows, transparency effects, reflections clipping, will now work out of the box,
no extra steps or updates needed

Shader compilation now uses multiple threads
This significantly speeds up initial shader cache build process,
especially on multi core systems.

Other small changes
-Fixed overlay being unresponsive on windows 7
-Added MRT support (fixes broken GW2 HoT/PoF cutscenes)
-Implemented number of missing DX9/DXBC elements
-Introduced base for API stream transformations
-Code cleanup&optimizations

Extra notes
Old pck files are considered outdated - shader caches from earlier version will not work
Initial shader compilation can take more time due to extra variativity being implemented

If you're running an older version of the D912PXY i would delete the BIN64 folder and the D912PXY and do a fresh install of the new version.

This is a straight forward post to raise awareness of the D912PXY which is a way to make Guild Wars 2 use DirectX 12 instead, without changing any game code.

This is specifically designed for Guild Wars 2. What can you expect from using this Mod ?

In most hardware scenarios you can expect fps gains and smoother and more consistent frametimes.

"Profiling shows that the API overhead for d912pxy is up to 86% (r255,custom config) less than that of plain DirectX9. Real performance differs based on the scene and the hardware"

Keep in mind we're past build 600+ so things have gotten even better since! (i've been using the mod since release on a range of hardware)

Please refer to the video guide below and thanks to Ekay Tech for creating the vid.

You can find the D912PXY here at Megai's GitHub page https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

Use the latest build available here https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/releases/tag/v2.3h6

You will also find Megai's Patreon link there to support further development.

A few extra tips.
Update your C++ runtime by installing this package first before installing the d912pxy .To install the C++ runtime package, run the included install_all.bat with admin privileges (right click, "Run as administrator")

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

After installing the dx912pxy and running the game once go into your dx912pxy config file you want "load_pso_cache" set to "1" load_pso_cache=1 & "save_pso_cache" set to "1" save_pso_cache=1

As shader compilation now uses multiple threads

You can also tweak the options below depending on your CPU core and thread count. The default is as follows.
dxc_threads=-1
pso_threads=-1

I'm running an i7 6800k which is a 6 core CPU with hyperthreading so = 12 threads.

I run my config like this.

dxc_threads=10
pso_threads=10

I leave some threads reserved to my OS to ensure no hardware lockup if CPU usage hits 100%

Please watch the guide below. You can also join the discord channel here https://discord.com/invite/fY9KADf

Enjoy a better in-game experience!

All credits to Megai the developer.
https://www.patreon.com/d912pxy

<1

Comments

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020

    Keep in mind that the impact of this mod will vary from player to player depending on their setup. It can be a large improvement in game performance to no change at all.

    Also keep in mind that your monitor limits the FPS that you can see. If you have a 60hz monitor, the max FPS you'll see is 60.

  • Little Howl.5231Little Howl.5231 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020

    The D912PXY is quite literally a game changer for me. I'm using a RX 5700

    Megai's just updated it to 2.2

    https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/releases

    Version v2.2

    -Summary of change log:-
    -* Initial support for Astellia online and Lost Ark
    -* Now d912pxy will show "greetings" message on fresh install
    -* Visual fixes for booze effects & fire/smoke/etc in preview window in GW2
    -* DXGI frame latency support
    -* Small improvements of GPU query performance
    -* Crashfix for GW2 28.07.2020 patch
    -* More api hacks for better 3rd party addons support

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020

    Thank Little Howl. Yes just to confirm - v2.2 has the Crashfix for GW2 28.07.2020 patch
    A clean install , deleting the Bin folder and re-pasting the PSO cache in the pck folder worked a charm.

  • Alternatively, using a manager like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/cxsxbz/gw2_addon_manager_for_arcdps_gw2_radial_and/ makes using several different addons much easier. And when updates happen and break your game you can just disable them, then wait for an update, then re-enable them rather than having to delete all the files (which requires remembering which files belong to which program), then reinstalling every time.

  • i tried to install it, but i get a "the code execution cannot proceed because vcruntime140_.dll was not found' error

  • Ooops.8694Ooops.8694 Member ✭✭✭

    So you followed the install guide, read the "If you see something related to missing DLL file, or DLL can't be loaded, also try to install MSVC redistributable (link to vc redist https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads)" under troubleshooting, installed vcredist and the error still happens?

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020

    @TracksOne.2548 said:
    i tried to install it, but i get a "the code execution cannot proceed because vcruntime140_.dll was not found' error

    Install this package

    To install the C++ runtime package, run the included install_all.bat with admin privileges (right click, "Run as administrator")

    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2020

    Build 556 of the D912PXY fixes the crash or hang when exiting the game.

    It's available here

    https://ci.appveyor.com/project/megai2/d912pxy/builds/34601749/artifacts

    Do a clean install of the D912PXY , don't forget to configure to use PSO cache as per the original guide !

    Updated original post to reflect the latest build which addresses the hang on game exit (this issue is also happening for users also running the game in DX9)

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2020

    Release 2.2.1 is out.

    https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/releases

    "Small changes:
    -Better workaround for broken depth buffer, fix in gw2 for character portraits
    -Fixed on exit hang in gw2" ( this issue has been reported for players using native DX 9 as well )

  • I installed it today, but i cant hide this POP UP ui, i already press ctrl alt N, but not worked, my FPS is better, but i cant hide this pop up in my UI, can anyone help me?

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2020

    @Thuan.7235 said:
    I installed it today, but i cant hide this POP UP ui, i already press ctrl alt N, but not worked, my FPS is better, but i cant hide this pop up in my UI, can anyone help me?

    Yes certainly, go into the config file in the the root d912pxy folder and edit the config file.

    Look for this is in the "extra's" section and change to 0. Then save your config file.

    [extras]

    enable

    Enables/Disables extra features

    Default: 0

    Valid values: 0-1

    Comment:

    If set 0, none of extra features will work. If set 1, features enabled in this config section will be used.

  • Oh Thanks @Mack.3045 worked for me!!!

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Thuan.7235 said:
    Oh Thanks @Mack.3045 worked for me!!!

    Awesome Thuan :) Have fun :)

  • Wow. This is a complete game-changer for me.

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2020

    @McFly.2134 said:
    Wow. This is a complete game-changer for me.

    Awesome great to hear that. There are some pre made config profiles you can use as well to tweak depending on your PC specs.
    Feel free to join the discord channel for any extra help 😊

  • I installed it today but had to uninstall it. My cpu usage went crazy, the heat caused my pc to crash and I had to wait a few minutes for it to cool down to turn it on again.
    The processor is an AMD FX-8350, with watercooler, it never goes above 40 ° at most.
    The truth is, the game was running much more fluid, but I tried it a second time, monitoring the processor temp and it was scaling very fast again ... this is something that I'd never seen on my pc, not even with AAA games. Clearly something is not going well, it is a real shame because the ingame performance was very good.

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Andural.2530 said:
    I installed it today but had to uninstall it. My cpu usage went crazy, the heat caused my pc to crash and I had to wait a few minutes for it to cool down to turn it on again.
    The processor is an AMD FX-8350, with watercooler, it never goes above 40 ° at most.
    The truth is, the game was running much more fluid, but I tried it a second time, monitoring the processor temp and it was scaling very fast again ... this is something that I'd never seen on my pc, not even with AAA games. Clearly something is not going well, it is a real shame because the ingame performance was very good.

    Hmmm that's a shame. Clearly this is a hardware issue and your cooler is not coping with thermals generated by the CPU usage with the d912pxy.

  • Terek.8923Terek.8923 Member ✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020

    oops wth my post is in the wrong thread

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Andural.2530 said:
    I installed it today but had to uninstall it. My cpu usage went crazy, the heat caused my pc to crash and I had to wait a few minutes for it to cool down to turn it on again.
    The processor is an AMD FX-8350, with watercooler, it never goes above 40 ° at most.
    The truth is, the game was running much more fluid, but I tried it a second time, monitoring the processor temp and it was scaling very fast again ... this is something that I'd never seen on my pc, not even with AAA games. Clearly something is not going well, it is a real shame because the ingame performance was very good.

    Your cooling has issues, with d912pxy your system will use multiple cores more efficiently so if your cooling solution isn't well adjusted it's more likely to cause issues. And FX processors are known to be ovens.

  • @Mack.3045 Is there a page somewhere with a database of people's experience cross-referenced against CPU and/or GPU ?

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Unfortunately, there was no game-changing shift in performance for me. Only got lots of bugged textures that would load 10x slower than normally.

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @sitarskee.5738 said:
    Unfortunately, there was no game-changing shift in performance for me. Only got lots of bugged textures that would load 10x slower than normally.

    Please read the guide on how to use pso cache..............

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    @Mack.3045 Is there a page somewhere with a database of people's experience cross-referenced against CPU and/or GPU ?

    Nothing like that exists. Best to just try it for yourself 👌

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @sitarskee.5738 said:
    Unfortunately, there was no game-changing shift in performance for me. Only got lots of bugged textures that would load 10x slower than normally.

    That's normal for your first run as the game needs to compile the new shaders. Unless you download a pre-compiled shader package

  • @Mack.3045 said:

    @sitarskee.5738 said:
    Unfortunately, there was no game-changing shift in performance for me. Only got lots of bugged textures that would load 10x slower than normally.

    Please read the guide on how to use pso cache..............

    Ok, man........................ Last time I tried in about a year ago on a worse setup. I will give it another shot this week.

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @sitarskee.5738 said:

    @Mack.3045 said:

    @sitarskee.5738 said:
    Unfortunately, there was no game-changing shift in performance for me. Only got lots of bugged textures that would load 10x slower than normally.

    Please read the guide on how to use pso cache..............

    Ok, man........................ Last time I tried in about a year ago on a worse setup. I will give it another shot this week.

    "To prevent Shaders delays from having to load in, use the Shader pack. Choose the one that correlates to your in game settings for Shaders ..High, Medium etc....

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V59UCT_pBLxSe9xEaCYhAR-LII_VaquW

    Once you run the game once (after installing the d912pxy) and have changed the load_pso_cache=1 in your config file, drop the shader file into the pck folder. Select "yes" to overwrite the existing file"

  • Thriceblinded.9126Thriceblinded.9126 Member
    edited September 18, 2020

    @Mack.3045 Awesome work on this. Just a question regarding Shadows - I've noticed with the current 2.2.1 version, a fresh install with no latest.pck (I played and let it build on its own) - shadows are not rendering on Ultra. They render on High and lower. Oddly - there's a bright area of no shadows around my character that increases with the shadows setting (low -> high).

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2020

    @Thriceblinded.9126 said:
    @Mack.3045 Awesome work on this. Just a question regarding Shadows - I've noticed with the current 2.2.1 version, a fresh install with no latest.pck (I played and let it build on its own) - shadows are not rendering on Ultra. They render on High and lower. Oddly - there's a bright area of no shadows around my character that increases with the shadows setting (low -> high).

    Hi :) With the recent patches there were some internal changes to the game in Native Dx9 and shadow rendering. This has affected Ultra Shadows rendering on Ultra with the d912pxy.

    Megai has just released version v2.3 which addresses this issue with some major changes. I would delete the Bin64 and d912pxy folder first and then do a fresh install. Be aware that current shader packs (pck) are not valid with this release so you'll have to build your own. Loading times are a LOT longer initially while you build your own pck file. The good news is Shadows on Ultra will work out of the box with this release.

    Don't forget to change your config to load and save pso cache to =1

    Megai is also working on using Native DX12 TAA (anti aliasing ) with future releases !

    https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/releases/tag/v2.3

    Have fun and enjoy.
    All credit to Megai the developer of the dx912 pxy :)

    P.S i support him on Patreon - if you can a small amount makes a big difference for him :)

  • @Mack.3045 sweet, that worked! appreciate your time & help. I'll check out Megai more and see what I can do.

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    Some exciting news. The pending release of version 2.3 enables multithreaded PSO/HLSL compilation (think multi-threaded shader compilation and DirectX calls )I'm currently running the latest build and this makes a huge difference. This is groundbreaking stuff.

    I'll post updates to the main guide when released.

    All credits to Megai the developer :)

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    Main guide is now updated to reflect Version 2.3

  • Release 2.3 is amazing ! The saying GW2 DX calls being limited to a primary thread is now a MYTH LOL :)

  • I can confirm 2.3 release is a cracker ! Game has not run so smoothly and my fps have gone up a chunk ! I moved over from Linux back to Windows because of the performance gains using the d912pxy :+1:

  • thank you so much! I really enjoy this and it makes the game 10x smoother for me. :) Most apprecated.

  • Ke Ro Ro.1086Ke Ro Ro.1086 Member
    edited October 11, 2020

    I have install the d912pxy but when i try to start the game my it says install cannot be completed .. i think i done all correctly ... any idea why?

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020

    @Ke Ro Ro.1086 said:
    I have install the d912pxy but when i try to start the game my it says install cannot be completed .. i think i done all correctly ... any idea why?

    I would try installing the latest C++ runtime here https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

    ( Run the .bat file as admin - it will install all )

    Apart from that, follow the general trouble shooting advice on the d912pxy site https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/wiki/Reporting-crashes

    Hope this helps :)

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Wrain.6792 said:
    thank you so much! I really enjoy this and it makes the game 10x smoother for me. :) Most apprecated.

    Awesome ! Have fun :)

  • seithan.4823seithan.4823 Member
    edited October 14, 2020

    Hi!

    I've installed the modification to Dx9 but unfortunatelly i think my peformance got even worse!
    I followed the basic steps like setting threads ( i use a 9900k so i set it to 16) and put the flag "1" on the save shaders option.

    Not sure what to try next, any help is appreciated!

    Edit: I rerun GW2 and i noticed that my settings didnt save when i edited the config (from within the game's overlay window).

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @seithan.4823 said:
    Hi!

    I've installed the modification to Dx9 but unfortunatelly i think my peformance got even worse!
    I followed the basic steps like setting threads ( i use a 9900k so i set it to 16) and put the flag "1" on the save shaders option.

    Not sure what to try next, any help is appreciated!

    Edit: I rerun GW2 and i noticed that my settings didnt save when i edited the config (from within the game's overlay window).

    Hi, I have replied to you on discord. Time to go through some trouble shooting. Can you reply with your full pc specs. Thank you

  • Hi, thanx for the reply, continuing on Discord or unless for future queries from other users, we could post some of the conversation here too aswell.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020

    Is this really worth the trouble? So much stuff to keep in mind, understand and execute, and on top of that all the changes that need to be applied after each update - that sounds like too much of a headache for a small performance boost.

  • @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Is this really worth the trouble? So much stuff to keep in mind, understand and execute, and on top of that all the changes that need to be applied after each update - that sounds like too much of a headache for a small performance boost.

    "Small performance boost" Found the guy who plays on low settings!

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Brimstone Jack.3462 said:
    "Small performance boost" Found the guy who plays on low settings!

    1. Not a guy.
    2. It was my assumption since the game performs excellent for me on high settings on my new hardware.
    3. How much more FPS do you squeeze out of the game with this tool?
    1. My apologies. Legitimately not my intention to misgender anyone.
    2. If your system runs the game perfectly, why are you looking for performance-boosting adds?
    3. In crowded places and places that load new assets, there's a HUGE difference. High settings run like a dream even in the most crowded places like Lion's Arch.
  • Ke Ro Ro.1086Ke Ro Ro.1086 Member
    edited October 18, 2020

    After i install d912pxy,login and click the play button it say , a serious error has occoured that prevent the program from continueing to run... Any solution? since i have no addons .. i some1 can tell me any possible reason ill try..ty

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ke Ro Ro.1086 said:
    After i install d912pxy,login and click the play button it say , a serious error has occoured that prevent the program from continueing to run... Any solution? since i have no addons .. i some1 can tell me any possible reason ill try..ty

    Hi, I suggest following the trouble shooting guide on the main page
    https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

    What are your pc specs?

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Is this really worth the trouble? So much stuff to keep in mind, understand and execute, and on top of that all the changes that need to be applied after each update - that sounds like too much of a headache for a small performance boost.

    Hi,

    For most users the d912pxy works out of the box after install and some config file tweaks to suit hardware. This would be a 10-15 min initial investment in time.

    There is the discord channel for those who want additional support or to share their configs with others.

    Gains depend on individual hardware set-ups.

    For me in some areas I net an extra 30-50+ fps, better visuals and a better experience overall.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Is this really worth the trouble? So much stuff to keep in mind, understand and execute, and on top of that all the changes that need to be applied after each update - that sounds like too much of a headache for a small performance boost.

    The performance boost depends on the situation, in places where your CPU is taxed to the limit then dx12py won't do much. In almost all other areas though it will give a high performance boost.

  • @Mack.3045 said:

    @Ke Ro Ro.1086 said:
    After i install d912pxy,login and click the play button it say , a serious error has occoured that prevent the program from continueing to run... Any solution? since i have no addons .. i some1 can tell me any possible reason ill try..ty

    Hi, I suggest following the trouble shooting guide on the main page
    https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

    What are your pc specs?

    its an i5 ,4gb ram with graphic card nvedia geforce 710 which is a bit old will that be a problem?

  • Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ke Ro Ro.1086 said:

    @Mack.3045 said:

    @Ke Ro Ro.1086 said:
    After i install d912pxy,login and click the play button it say , a serious error has occoured that prevent the program from continueing to run... Any solution? since i have no addons .. i some1 can tell me any possible reason ill try..ty

    Hi, I suggest following the trouble shooting guide on the main page
    https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

    What are your pc specs?

    its an i5 ,4gb ram with graphic card nvedia geforce 710 which is a bit old will that be a problem?

    Yes, 4bg ram is not enough for the 64 bit version. Jump on the d912pxy discord channel for support installing the 32 bit version manually