obstructed. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Ranger

obstructed.

jonesy.1470jonesy.1470 Member ✭✭

When is it getting fixed? the fact the axe is a more reliable ranged option is mindblowing.
Im sure I don't need to explain this one.
also fix pet pathing.

thanks.

Comments

  • Abyssisis.3971Abyssisis.3971 Member ✭✭✭

    Axe suffers from obstruction just as badly tho. There are areas in wvw where I can be standing near on a target with nothing between it and I, and I’m obstructed regardless of the ranged weapon I’m using.

  • jonesy.1470jonesy.1470 Member ✭✭


    Look at this. Clearly should be able to hit the rat. But no. the grass is in the way.
    Don't get this issue with rev ren cause this shot has a mini aoe at the end. Use the rev projectile 1 for ranger 1 and just change the stats and draw time to match. easy fix.

  • Personally, I'd just put a larger arc on the projectiles and make the point from which the arrow begins its travel slightly higher.

  • jonesy.1470jonesy.1470 Member ✭✭

    @Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:
    Personally, I'd just put a larger arc on the projectiles and make the point from which the arrow begins its travel slightly higher.

    yeah I feel that is why the axe auto-attack works well.

    Personally I understand the reason why obstructed is a thing. its to start hitting things in cover and so on. the higher and low ground on a slope makes no sense,
    I would love to help anet.

  • @jonesy.1470 said:

    @Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:
    Personally, I'd just put a larger arc on the projectiles and make the point from which the arrow begins its travel slightly higher.

    yeah I feel that is why the axe auto-attack works well.

    Personally I understand the reason why obstructed is a thing. its to start hitting things in cover and so on. the higher and low ground on a slope makes no sense,
    I would love to help anet.

    You could also fix it with a LoS check, like in WvW if you try and shoot a guard on a wall, you can go into 1st person view and the only part of the guard that's obstructed is their boots, but you can't hit it. Surely there must be some check the game can do to see if at least some part of the target is visible, then you should be able to hit it.
    It's strange, we are talking about the premier archer class and its not able to hit the broad side of a barn because the grass against the wall needs a trim.

  • KeyOrion.9506KeyOrion.9506 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020

    There are several locations where there are invisible...patches, blocks, walls. Some of these areas are in fixed locations. If your always standing in the wrong spot when firing any long distance weapon at those locations...you will get an obstructed message. And to you and me, it looks like crisp clean unobstructed space filled with air. For one your not crazy, these locations do exist, and requires an actual Anet employee trying or attempting to find said location. Then they have to talk to the programmer which then needs to find out what was AT that location. Most of the problem is, that they had placed an item at that location, but decided to remove it.....however, they only removed the Visuals of the object, but the object is STILL THERE. You can talk to them until your blue in the face, but most of the records of the object at that location are lost in the the mists. Not even the PROGRAMMERS even remember WHAT the hell the object was at that location BEFORE revisions were made to that one specific area. We were able to find out, because supposedly 4 years ago, one of the programmers that DID play ran into what appeared to be an invisible object. What he found out was that originally there was a LAMP POST placed at the area that was causing the block. But they decided to remove the lamp post. HOWEVER, they didn't remove the lamp post, they removed the VISUAL aspect of the post, but not the actual ITEM of the lamp post. When the programmer went in he found that the original item was there...but the Iconagraphy representing what the lamp post looked like...was deleted. Hence...your invisible object. And after 7 years...many of these objects still exist in those locations...but the programmers dont' know what the objects ORIGINALLY WERE, because nobody took notes down of the revisions of those objects which were to be removed. And since they don't KNOW what they are looking for....box....lamp post....bread basket.... It's like looking for an Invisible needle in an invisible haystock....."Hey....OUCH....what the ....why can't I move past this spot.....what's blocking me....what caused my finger to bleed...." <-----

  • Deepcuts.9740Deepcuts.9740 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020

    @KeyOrion.9506 I wish this was just an excuse from someone at Anet who did not wanted to be bothered fixing it, because if they cannot even find an object on a map, what expectations should we have for them to fix their lag ridden servers?

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2021

    This is not exactly a "ranger issue", it's a gamewide projectile issue.

    I'd say "post it in bug report section instead", but I'm preeeeetty sure anet is aware of that bug, so there's probably no point in doing it.

    e: kitten => doing

  • Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2020

    Sometimes it helps to jump while attacking to increase the height of your shots slightly. I guess we need to bring out a new form of WvW siege weapons, called "Stack of Crates", and when you deploy it its a bunch of crates you can stand on. /s

    Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 24 charas, 18k hours, 29k AP | ♀♥♀
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

  • @Jabronee.9465 said:
    It IS a bug. Trust me it got nothing to do with LoS or non arced arrows. It happened few years back when LB shots keeps getting obstructed and they fixed it.
    Now it's back again. I'm having the same issue. Especially solo capping camps in WvW.
    Please look into this issue again Anet.

    Just experienced exactly this. Cleared all NPEs down to just the Supervisor. Unloaded a Rapid Fire burst into him only to see "Obstructed" the whole time while in fairly close range, on level, visually unobstructed ground.

    Other times this has happened with allies nearby, and I thought maybe necro minions were somehow obstructing. Guess not?

  • Sandzibar.5134Sandzibar.5134 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2021

    Dead dolys can also cause it.

  • Camps are literally the worst with this, because if the terrain is even slightly uneven you're in for a bad time. So, every camp aside from like N and NEC on Alpine.

    The wall thing is also beyond stupid. Can't hit with anything except barrage up there, when should be able to hit with normal arrows from LB (or even SB really). Then you see other classes with AoE nukes just taking all the siege out--it's wonderfully deflating.

    I do think it is an engine bug that they either lack time to fix or can't fix; either that or it's just janky terrain (mostly in alpine) and they don't want to commit resources to reshaping / fixing it. I know for a fact pet pathing is an 'unfixable problem' as they based our pet's off PvE enemies...and yeah.

    The best we got there was the SB elite spec, great. What's even more aggravating is BM helps with the pathing a lot, but not all builds can fit it in, and someone over in Anet land still thinks pets are OP so they won't build that in naturally. Which is why I will always laugh at the 'trade off' thing; for any spec that isn't SB the pet is a liability with literally no tradeoff for having to manage it. But somehow, the SB needed the tradeoff of being locked to one pet BECAUSE it can bypass the pet being a liability via merging. Yeah that...that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

  • Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

    @Jabronee.9465 said:
    It IS a bug. Trust me it got nothing to do with LoS or non arced arrows. It happened few years back when LB shots keeps getting obstructed and they fixed it.
    Now it's back again. I'm having the same issue. Especially solo capping camps in WvW.
    Please look into this issue again Anet.

    Just experienced exactly this. Cleared all NPEs down to just the Supervisor. Unloaded a Rapid Fire burst into him only to see "Obstructed" the whole time while in fairly close range, on level, visually unobstructed ground.

    Other times this has happened with allies nearby, and I thought maybe necro minions were somehow obstructing. Guess not?

    Did this happen on the SEC on one of the alpine BLs? I got that problem too, and had to hit in melee range in order to attack.

  • @Hesione.9412 said:

    @Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

    @Jabronee.9465 said:
    It IS a bug. Trust me it got nothing to do with LoS or non arced arrows. It happened few years back when LB shots keeps getting obstructed and they fixed it.
    Now it's back again. I'm having the same issue. Especially solo capping camps in WvW.
    Please look into this issue again Anet.

    Just experienced exactly this. Cleared all NPEs down to just the Supervisor. Unloaded a Rapid Fire burst into him only to see "Obstructed" the whole time while in fairly close range, on level, visually unobstructed ground.

    Other times this has happened with allies nearby, and I thought maybe necro minions were somehow obstructing. Guess not?

    Did this happen on the SEC on one of the alpine BLs? I got that problem too, and had to hit in melee range in order to attack.

    It was the south middle camp on one of the Alpine Borderlands.

  • Choppy.4183Choppy.4183 Member ✭✭✭

    @Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

    @Hesione.9412 said:

    @Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

    @Jabronee.9465 said:
    It IS a bug. Trust me it got nothing to do with LoS or non arced arrows. It happened few years back when LB shots keeps getting obstructed and they fixed it.
    Now it's back again. I'm having the same issue. Especially solo capping camps in WvW.
    Please look into this issue again Anet.

    Just experienced exactly this. Cleared all NPEs down to just the Supervisor. Unloaded a Rapid Fire burst into him only to see "Obstructed" the whole time while in fairly close range, on level, visually unobstructed ground.

    Other times this has happened with allies nearby, and I thought maybe necro minions were somehow obstructing. Guess not?

    Did this happen on the SEC on one of the alpine BLs? I got that problem too, and had to hit in melee range in order to attack.

    It was the south middle camp on one of the Alpine Borderlands.

    And I most recently experienced it 10 feat away from the Supervisor in swc. It's annoying, but manageable.

    I’m Biffles Ma Niffles, and I approved this message.
    Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)