An update regarding voice acting in Guild Wars 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

An update regarding voice acting in Guild Wars 2

Hi everyone,

We’re so grateful for the patience and understanding our community has shown regarding the delayed voice acting for “No Quarter” and “Jormag Rising.” We’ve been eager to get back to recording, but since the pandemic is ongoing the health of the actors, ArenaNet employees, and recording studio staff is paramount.

While adjusting to developing Guild Wars 2 remotely, we’ve also been hard at work on solutions so we can move forward with our cast of over two dozen actors while keeping everyone safe. Our audio department created home recording kits for the voice actors, and on July 21 we recorded our first remote session!

We’re recording the most immediate upcoming content first—the new fractal—so you can experience it with voice acting right away. We’ll also record voiceover for the “No Quarter” and “Jormag Rising” cinematics. In September we’ll work on recording the remainder of the content for Episodes 3 &4.

This timeline allows us to accommodate actors’ schedules and gives our audio, cinematics, and game development teams time to implement the material. When we add English VO for content, we will add the French and German VO at the same time.

We can’t wait to bring the talents of our amazing voice cast back to Tyria. Thank you for all your support and stay safe!

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020

Impatient to hear all those voices.

Shiny links, take a look!
    ->Ideas: Housing , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    ->Project: ASURAN EXPANSION available on WIKI.
    ->NEW: Crucible of Eternity path 4: Legacy on WIKI
    ->NEW Asurapedia

• Good update! I'm glad you decided to use a workaround, seeing as we don't know how long this situation will last.

• I'm so excited! Thanks, guys!

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

If the Desolation won't come to Turai, then Turai must go to the Desolation.

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

Thank you for the update and your efforts to protect the health and safety of everyone involved.

Good luck, have fun.

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭✭

Take care and stay safe guys!

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
    Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

• Kaliwenda.3428Kaliwenda.3428 Member ✭✭✭

Wonderful news! :)

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Perfect comms

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• shejesa.3712shejesa.3712 Member ✭✭

I hope that the next fractal won't be in 12 months because it's more important for you to get vo than content.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020

@shejesa.3712 said:
    I hope that the next fractal won't be in 12 months because it's more important for you to get vo than content.

It's scheduled for this quarter (September in fact) after the next episode and the Festival of the Four Winds
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Cobrakon.3108Cobrakon.3108 Member ✭✭✭

I can understand some of the challenges that the audio engineers will face with this new setup ( multiple new setups each with their own quirks) but i think it is the best solution at this time.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭✭

The text bubbles are public enemy number 1. Just fine a better way to display dialog like the intro cinematic or how a JRPG does it.

• Great news stay safe you amazing cast <3

• Jwake.7013Jwake.7013 Member ✭✭✭

I don't know if any would be willing or able but would be pretty neat if one or several of the voice actors could do a vlog style set up of showing off the recording kit and then maybe a few (no spoiler ofc) lines and maybe talk about the differences between in studio and at home etc. In the same vein of how a few videos have gone up about old episodes and tackling different challenges of a character or topic that you guys have done before.

Also thanks a bunch for keeping us in the loop. Stay safe.

"Freedom is something that you need to actively acquire. It's not something that's given with no strings attached. To be free means to take responsibility, and to prepare yourself for what's to come." ~Charles Beams~

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

Excellent news, good job ArenaNet!

• HotDelirium.7984HotDelirium.7984 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020

At this point I will take any sound quality the kits will deliver! Thank you for smartly coming up with safe solutions because we honestly don't know when all of this is going to end.

• eyestrain.3056eyestrain.3056 Member ✭✭✭

Nice there's a work around. Of course the game isn't the same without the VO but things are still so so dangerous and all the actors and staff deserve safety first.

• aelska.4609aelska.4609 Member ✭✭✭

Very good news, voice acting is excellent in gw2 and it is good you can keep that up ! :)

• ollbirtan.2915ollbirtan.2915 Member ✭✭✭✭

really shows where the priorities are....

• Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭

That's great but could you also please give an update on other aspects of the game like the mythical WvW alliances, bots in PvP (and PvE), the horrible lag in Living World Season 4 maps and the next expansion as well?

• Thank you very much Arena Net. You guys rock! I send you all my encouragements and I hope that the situation will finally improve for you in the USA. The little French girl that I am supports you :* XoXo

• voidek.5738voidek.5738 Member ✭✭

September Hype Train leaving the station. B)

• Miki.3862Miki.3862 Member ✭✭

Best of luck, fingers crossed everything goes! Also thank you for keeping us in the loop where you can, it is very appreciated as I'm sure you can tell by many of the posts on this thread :)
    Can't wait to hear the heroes of Tyria again!

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

What do you mean?

Thanks for the update on voice acting. It's nice to know when it's coming.

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update , there's too much pessimism around here

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

Awesome news, looking forward to hearing all those wonderful voices again. :)

My ears, how are you! | Hammer Mesmer - elite spec concept.

• ollbirtan.2915ollbirtan.2915 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

What do you mean?

Thanks for the update on voice acting. It's nice to know when it's coming.

Oh nothing....just minding my own business waiting for 2-year old+ promises to see the light of day.

• Donutdude.9582Donutdude.9582 Member ✭✭✭

Oh gosh! That is terrific news! I did not think we would be able to have any VO until your main office re-opened!

Thank you very much for the update ArenaNet. This is brilliant!

My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

• With respect, I do not buy the explanation- audio recordings can easily be done remotely. People have made entire films remotely, audio should be a walk in the park by comparison.

• Matt H.6142Matt H.6142 Member ✭✭✭

Hopefully we can have the actors tells us the good news, after they delivered the news of the delay.

• HotDelirium.7984HotDelirium.7984 Member ✭✭✭

@KiteCrossx.3790 said:
    With respect, I do not buy the explanation- audio recordings can easily be done remotely. People have made entire films remotely, audio should be a walk in the park by comparison.

I think it was just a very soft excuse to buy themselves some time because none of us expected it to go longer than a few months and here we are 6 months later so I doubt they put a lot of effort in having them record from home because none of us expected to be this long of a delay.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Entire films remotely? No contact between any actors, directors, cameramen, sound guys, makeup artists, food services, et al? Amazing!

• Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

I love how people preface an insult with something regarding respect. I feel if one is going to call someone else a liar, they should do it boldly. In other news, I love how these experts pop up and make assertions based on something different. Films have bigger budgets, as do major voice acting firms...

"How so big the sea hills how so deep the blue beneath.
    Hail from the main and comest thou home."

Sigrdrífumál
    Նոտ ենուղ պատիենծե
    Persona 4 MC: boldly sits on the girl's side and flirts with the guys
    Will work for pets and hugs!
    Sheep r gud 4 eets

• shejesa.3712shejesa.3712 Member ✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@shejesa.3712 said:

It's scheduled for this quarter (September in fact) after the next episode and the Festival of the Four Winds
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/

the one after this one. I thought it was obvious.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Entire films remotely? No contact between any actors, directors, cameramen, sound guys, makeup artists, food services, et al? Amazing!

Truly amazing and, of course, those films required absolutely no set up either! Everyone just had everything they needed just lying about! Which was nice.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

I thought this episode was supposed to have voiceover for cinematics? I just did the first part of it, in the beach, and I didn't hear any in the cinematics it had.

@coso.9173 said:
    I thought this episode was supposed to have voiceover for cinematics? I just did the first part of it, in the beach, and I didn't hear any in the cinematics it had.

No, the Devs announced some time ago that this episode would not have voice-acting. It's in the top Sticky, and here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@coso.9173 said:

No, the Devs announced some time ago that this episode would not have voice-acting. It's in the top Sticky, and here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/

ah, I see.
    Since they had said "We’re recording the most immediate upcoming content first—the new fractal—so you can experience it with voice acting right away. We’ll also record voiceover for the “No Quarter” and “Jormag Rising” cinematics." I assumed the episode in general wasn't going to have voiceover, but the cinematics in it would.

I'd say the "We will record" indicates something they will do in the future, and after the Fractal recording (or, at best, at the same time). There certainly wasn't enough time between the announcement and this latest release (4 days.)

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear this. Hope all promises are kept. The past two releases were lack luster for me because of this. Very smart to start with the next content coming out.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

Or you could read it in the Chat window.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020

It is not up to me to build immersion. I either need to hear voices for character developer, or I need to clearly see who's talking in an easy to read manner.

Instead they made this as annoying as possible.
    1.) Text bubbles bug out.
    2.) Chat is used for other things. I have an active guild and a lot of friends I chat with.
    3.) The chat suggestion also brings up another topic....the need for a more customizable UI like Rift.
    4.) Can't be skipped. Sometimes I don't even know why we are waiting... I just TAB out until it's done.
    5.) Who thought that the annoying overused grunts would help... Talk about immersion killer. Without other audio, it sounds like I am playing a Zombie game.

I can tell you that everyone I game with is ignoring the story and I know a few that will never replay it. Might as well remove the story division at this point. This lazy way of presenting the story is not cutting it.

If chat with Guildies is more important, or you tab out until it's over, why lament the temporary loss of voice acting?
    If Story is important, turn off Guild Chat for the time doing Story; don't 'tab out', read the chat dialogue.

• Atomos.7593Atomos.7593 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Josiah.2967 said:
    I just wanted to let you know that my group of gamer all skipped the store. The text bubbles are atrocious and should never be used to communicate a story.

Let us know when we can hear it? You should change the story so the text is like the beginning of the game. Then we would read it and not be so annoyed.

I have no trouble following the NPC chat in the chat window but I do miss this kind of presentation for the dialogue between characters. It felt unique to the game and for me more immersive.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed a lot those cutscenes and the nice background art. And now, it feels so dead: Speech bubbles with Npcs doing sometimes an emote...

Shiny links, take a look!
    ->Ideas: Housing , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    ->Project: ASURAN EXPANSION available on WIKI.
    ->NEW: Crucible of Eternity path 4: Legacy on WIKI
    ->NEW Asurapedia

• @Atomos.7593 said:

@Josiah.2967 said:
    I just wanted to let you know that my group of gamer all skipped the store. The text bubbles are atrocious and should never be used to communicate a story.

Let us know when we can hear it? You should change the story so the text is like the beginning of the game. Then we would read it and not be so annoyed.

I have no trouble following the NPC chat in the chat window but I do miss this kind of presentation for the dialogue between characters. It felt unique to the game and for me more immersive.

I agree, loved that.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

Bit late seeing this but it is good to know.

I'm guessing it'll probably be sometime around late October early November when the last two episodes will be fully voiced then?

Any info on when we can expect these voice patches would be greatly appreciated at the earliest convinience.
    As someone who's avoided the patches until they are fully voiced I really can't wait to finally play them ^^

• All this voice acting stuff could have been done at home while in bed with an iPhone. My ears can't tell the difference between studio quality and YouTube quality.