How did you choose your main? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

How did you choose your main?

whoknocks.4935whoknocks.4935 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 26, 2020 in Lore

Is it the first profession you made or trying different profession during your playtime made you switch your main?

Or maybe you chose it for a particular reason?

Talking of myself I don't think I have a real main, lately I felt inlove with Reaper and I wanna do map completion in it and as well WvW and PvP, so I guess now Reaper is my main? XD

Thanks everyone :disappointed:

<1

Comments

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2020

My first character was a Ranger, I largely choose Ranger because I wanted to collect all the pets as I travel through the world and that was an exclusive thing only Rangers could do.
    It felt like a sort of quest in a way and back then Gw2 was new so nobody knew where the pets were and I got to experience that fresh Gotta Find/Catch Em All experience ^^
    That played a big role in my decision.
    I also decided to play a Ranger during the GW2 Beta and I really liked how the class felt and handled, specially the Longbow so I really wanted to make an Archer character as well when the game officially released.
    And yeah I have played many different Ranger builds over the years but my main has always come back to being an Archer with a Longbow XD

So Ranger was my main for a long time but after I started experimenting with other classes I grew quite fond of the Necromancer and made that my main for a good while.
    But eventually I started playing Ranger again and got reattached to it and swapped my main back to Ranger and it has been my main class for the vast majority of Gw2's lifespan.
    I do consider Necro a secondary main or more accurately a joint main to Ranger since I do love the Necro too and Necro was my main back in Gw1 as well. (Necro/Ranger specifically)
    I do enjoy both classes quite evenly although Ranger does get more playtime than Necro due to dailies and my first character/ranger always being the character I take through new content first.

Warrior has started to work up the preferences a bit though in recent months, it's become my 3rd favourite class recently and I very much like sustain it has access to.
    Sustain/damage avoidance builds are by far my favourite playstyles in Gw2.
    I enjoy outhealing enemy damage (Necro/Warrior) or playing at Range/taking aggro off myself (Ranger).
    I have a thief build in mind that could push thief upto my 4th favourite if it works out well too so we'll see what happens with that one day.

Just for the sake of it too my least favourite class is Mesmer, I don't find that one all that fun to play despite having 2 of them XD

• @Teratus.2859 said:
    My first character was a Ranger, I largely choose Ranger because I wanted to collect all the pets as I travel through the world and that was an exclusive thing only Rangers could do.

Same for me! And now I collect mount skins. ^^

• JekthAvid.1408JekthAvid.1408 Member ✭✭✭

I picked sylvari revenant because both seemed pretty unique to gw2. And then I just... kept playing on that character

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2020

I choose my main by how fun they are to play for me.
    So, my "main" usually switches between Dragon Hunter and Chronomancer.
    I started with a Full Soldier Hammer/Longbow Warrior though.

• paintpixie.7398paintpixie.7398 Member ✭✭✭

When I started, my main was a norn ranger. I liked using longbow, and I liked norns. I also did like to collect the pets, and come up with names for them, etc. I started losing interest in her around the time HoT came out because I didn't like the new specialization, and I was tired of being huge while trying to do jumping puzzles and stuff like that.

I switched to a sylvari mesmer, and I've had her as my main ever since. I liked her because she had decent dps but could also solo really hard mobs with her clones. I still wish that she could use a bow, because I really like bows, but I still really enjoy playing her.

I did like the Ranger specialization for PoF, but I never really got into my ranger again. I haven't played for over a year now, so I might go back to her, but for now I'm gonna see how I like my mesmer.

• Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020

i started 2015 with an warrior. For me ,it wasnt much fun so i quit after a few months.
    2018(or 2017 idk anymore) i came back and saw the Revenant, which wasnt there when i last played.

Now im revenant 90% of the time. I have fun with it (as herald) ,can be quick and agile, pretty supportive & tanky.... well yeah. Too sad so many are that toxic against heralds in PvE.
    Thats why i often change in endgame pve to meta classes, so people stop whining.

Also: I picked Charr-Revenant ,before i knew Rhytlock. Just didnt had an charr before :bleep_bloop:

• The Greyhawk.9107The Greyhawk.9107 Member ✭✭✭

Not sure if this thread should be in the Lore category but I'll bite.

Main in GW1 was a Ranger, found that I enjoyed GW2's rangers as well and stuck with it as a main, which as I'm an alt-oholic mostly translates to running my Ranger through new stuff first. It still has most of the best gear out of my characters and gets the most play time, but close seconds would be my Ele and my Thief as I just enjoy their game style as well.

Hate Is Fuel.

• EdwinLi.1284EdwinLi.1284 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020

Started out as a Ranger because I was a Ranger in GW2.
    Eventually tried Guardian because of heavy armor with greatsword magic attacks.
    Finally settled with Engineer because of Technology and Rifle.

I also saw potential in Engineer profession if they ever planned to expand Engineer in expansions before HoT was even released.

Engineer profession certainly has potential for creating a Elite Specialization themed around modifying and creating weapons but as of now there is no Elite Spec that focus on Modying the Engineer Main Weapons into having new and unique weapon skills based on how the Main Weapons are modified.

• Antycypator.9874Antycypator.9874 Member ✭✭✭

After testing a necromancer, engineer, elementalist and guardian, I made a thief and it was almost instant "I freaking love this backstabbing guy". It took me 6 months to find my true main.
    Currently, thief is my oldest character. Everything created before my charr thief has been deleted.
    Later, I recreated my first guardian (the same asura, look and name), but as a revenant. He died, and then returned from the mists or something like a true revenant.

Master of garbage builds and being useless.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have two mains. Goliath Bill is a direct descendant of my GW1 Ele and is named after him as well. The other is a multiverse-character I use in other fantasy games and fantasy tabletop RPG's as either a warrior or barbarian. The latter runs every content through first, but the former tend to play the content more

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I chose elementalist on day one because I love elemental stuff, I’m a big fan of a few shows that have that so I was a big fan of that type of thing. Also chose human male since that’s what I am and usually when I’m new I make the first character that since the new races are something I want to learn about first

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭

Came here to play as Charr, I was between Warrior, Engineer.

Warrior is a cliché class on most mmorpg.
    Checked a showcase video of animations and skills of every class, fell in love with engineer, rifles, turrets, grenades. Very unique for a fantasy rpg. I also read that they are hard to play so it was like a challenge accepted.

Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

I pretty much suspected my main would be a mesmer even before launch, since i played and loved my mesmer in Guild Wars 1. Yeah I know they're different but as it turned out they're equally fun for me.

However, the first character I played and leveled to 80 was an engineer. That was also the first character I completed the personal story on. See, I've been with my wife a long time and it takes her ages to settle on a main, so I saved my main to play with her main when she finally picked it. She started with an ele, and played for a while, tried a bunch of other classes, and finally ended up with a guardian. When I was sure it was going to be her main, I started playing my mesmer with her.

This is what experience looks like. lol

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

My first created profession is not my main anymore. First was ele because D/D was awesome in the beginning. But I dont really have a main, I kinda like to shift around specific professions. But I do have some least favorites. Engineer, thief and revenant are way below my other professions.

• Lynx.9058Lynx.9058 Member ✭✭

Well, I'm still new, but I know I'll be sticking with my charr engineer for a while (was also my first character).

Everything about the character speaks to me. I love the beast/cat races (played caitians in STO, cathar in SWTOR, Khajiit in ESO, so on and so forth), so that was an easy pick. I also love playing jack of all trades / support style characters, so engineer popped out from the rest. The fact that engineer has access to all kinds of turrets and tech also helped, I used to play a game called Global Agenda and mained a robotics character there; robotics were the same kind of hybrid/support character, focused on drones and turrets and other deployables. Also played a powertech in SWTOR, for similar reasons. I love tech.

Then, of course, the fact that Iron legion / Charr storyline really works well with a charr engineer just sealed the deal. That character is perfect right off the bat =P

Problem is, I'm having a really tough time with alts, because I cant find another race/class combo that is nearly as entertaining for me.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

Necromancer for me.
    I liked the whole Minionmancer idea until I found out it was pretty meh in high level content.

Then I found out that Power Reaper was not only durable but also does alot of damage on demand, and can solo alot of open world challenges, so I hopped onto Reaper and built a really self sustaining Berserker build revolving around Death Magic and Spite.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭

I ended up going Asura guardian because I like the race and wanted to be a support role, it wasn't the meta until I got into doing stuff as a firebrand though. Like fractals and WvW, though I've been lax in still keeping up with those activities lately and my no time playing on my main has declined a little bit.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

Human, engineer because I liked the idea of the turrets and having elixirs. (Through, still sad I'm not really an alchemist) With HoT I became a scrapper and with PoF, an holo. Through, I switch between my characters with time: I play more my charr berseker with the recent story, and a lot my asura weaver because I need my dose of asura .

Shiny links, take a look!
    ->Ideas: Housing , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    ->Project: ASURAN/PRIMORDIUS EXPANSION available on WIKI.
    ->NEW: Crucible of Eternity path 4: Legacy on WIKI
    ->NEW Asurapedia

• Altion.9576Altion.9576 Member ✭✭✭

My first character was a Human thief because I was like " I always play Templars Paladins Crusaders Guardians" then I got super bored of my human thief, Nuked that character and made a human Guardian, I liked the class but playing a human got boring really fast, so I kept that Guardian as a backpack character and now my main is an awesome Charr Healbrand named Charrkion Lorekeeper, with book backpack and Flameseeker Prophecies as a a Shield :D

• Hypnowulf.7403Hypnowulf.7403 Member ✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020

My main tends to be the first one I have some kind of meaningful connection to. It's something that came from 1v1 fighters back in the day; I would always pick the misunderstood, beastly characters. Due to having autism, being an Otherkin, and experiencing lots of general dysphoria because humanity can be terrible (though in Guild Wars 2 they can be incredibly endearing, adorable doofs like Farren and Koss and I wish real people were more like that). I've lived through a lot of abuse so I came to see the default, "pure" state of white humans, the "normal," the status quo as something sickly and diseased. I liked anything that bothered them, whatever they would call monsters. Be they real or fictional... Dragons, werewolves, bugbears, spiders, insects, snakes, shaarks, or anything else.

I was almost with Bangar after the horrific charr armour nonsense in Prophecies—skinning and wearing the hides of actually sapient persons who had hopes and dreams before they became someone's stat boost—but after I saw him refer to the norn as "savages," he lost me. I honestly wonder if they're going to have Jorm rehabilitate him to help ensure that anyone who still hates the charr after all this feels as uncomfortable as possible. The last thing we need are people who're as actually kitten as Caudecus, the Separatists, and the Ascalonians.

The point I'm getting at is that I try to see things from a lot of perspectives. Those outside of the status quo appeal to me.

It didn't take me very long to figure out that Jormag was on the level. All I had to do was shift my perspective to empathise with them. Why would they be doing what they're doing? Easy. Take a dragon's instinct to survive and put a mole in Dragon's Watch and there you go. Yep, Dragon's Watch has a mole. Someone isn't who they claim to be, can you guess who? That's why Jorm can't tell us their plan. It's also why they can't just let Dragon's Watch slow them down because Dragon's Watch is being mislead. It's all very clever. It's been revealed to us that Jorm isn't evil, that they always speak the truth, and that they love Tyria. I think I know what they're up to, too. I have a number of theories, but my favourite is that they're going to cleanse Primordius of his torment affliction. If Kralkatorrik has a mother, all dragons might be siblings, and Primordius might be Jormag's bigger brother. This story would make me ugly cry in the best way.

That isn't the only theory I have, mind you. There are others.

I was especially pleased when Jormag deplatformed Bangar. That was beautiful. I actually called this to some friends about three days before Jormag Rising landed, that Jorm was tricking Bangar so that they could stop him from using his charismatic voice to harm people. Words can kill. Jormag understands this better than anyone, and they loathe suffering, loss, and death so that's why they censored him. I mean, they literally censored him! He can't swear! I love it. It's also why they chose Ryland as a champion. It makes sense. Ryland lost everything. His warband, his mentor to madness, his parents to the manipulations of his mentor, and likely even more. He's a very tragic figure. Except, hey, Jormag can fix that. Jormie can mend Ryland pretty easily.

Consider: Jormag can go to the Mists, they can heal Rytlock and Crecia given the chance, and they can rehabilitate Bangar to bring him out of his madness. It just makes sense. From that perspective, Ryland would see that Jormag could offer this to everyone. A world where pain, suffering, and loss aren't necessary. That's their end goal. I mean... Ice fortifies, ice preserves, ice protects. This was what I clicked with. I'd thought about having an Aurene character and if not for Jormag that might've been what I would've went for. I really appreciate Aurene. It's just that Aurene is... very young. They still lack wisdom, experience, and know little of hardships. They've lived a blessed life. While this has made them well-adjusted, it also means that I have difficulty relating to them because it's left them with limited perspectives.

Jormag, however... Jormag's a somewhat stern, austere grandparent. A helicopter grandparent who cares too much for this world, its mortal children, and their dragon family. A den mother, I usppose. They want a world where loss, pain, and suffering don't need to rule the lives of every mortal. There's always going to be a little pain in life, there's not much we can do about that, but the sheer amount of terrible suffering that some tend to endure isn't necessary. The world could be better.

That was my bonding point. Icebrood.

I knew I wanted to make someone who was a mirror of Jormag in certain ways; thus I chose Mirage because I enjoy ham-fisted metaphors. I knew that I wanted them to be a charr as the charr are by far the most misunderstood of the playable species. I knew that I wanted them to be a battleax of a grandma who was austere and elegant. So I set to work. I wasn't really good at playing Mesmer so initially I wasn't good at playing Mirage either. This character mattered to me though so I put in the elbow grease and eventually they became the character I was best at playing.

I had others but as much as I loved them I never really clicked with them. I had Eva Airborne, my high-flying, richocheting manic dismantler (a Scrapper). I had Morne Lastlight, my epic death metal ballad swamp witch (a Reaper), and a few others but nothing really... clicked. If I'm to have a main, there needs to be something meaningful there, otherwise they're just a character I play.

Mirra Frostheart.

MirraHasASitDown.png MirraFrostheartUpdated.png

I've also started working on a secondary, too...

Dirge Frostwall.

unknown.png

(Edited to remove instances of a word I hadn't realised would be caught by the filter that began with 'bad,' which I think is safe to say as that isn't the taboo part.)

• Jagblade.4627Jagblade.4627 Member ✭✭✭

I wanted both plate armor and a musket, and I prefer DPS classes. That made warrior the obvious first choice for me back in 2012 before it was turned into a bannerslave.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

Asura engineer!
    Smart races? Engineer profession that can build Turret, use gun? I'm sold

• anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020

A sylvari ranger because what's even better than Legolas? Grootgolas! He was my very first character in GW2 and is still my fav one, having about 10x more playtime than my second most played toon.

Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    All things...grow. And the blossom bothers the weed.
    Act with wisdom and axe.

• Lynx.9058Lynx.9058 Member ✭✭

@Ultramex.1506 said:
    Asura engineer!
    Smart races? Engineer profession that can build Turret, use gun? I'm sold

I want to play an asura engineer but the visuals just dont work out. Sure would be nice if they'd sell class/ability skins so we could get a high tech/magic look for asura engineer abilities.

I went charr instead, they fit the engineer's stuff much better IMO.

• Bish.8627Bish.8627 Member ✭✭✭

What I enjoy playing and what I like aesthetics wise. First was a Human Warrior because I enjoyed the weapons, then Sylvari Engineer because you didn't see many of both around. Years later after a couple of Asura alts, I mained an Asuran condi Mirage then power Chrono and most recently, though I have a 4 year old Sylvari rev, I really enjoyed playing Renegade in open PvE and so I made an Asuran one to catch up on the story with. I do love my Charr Ranger, half kind of wish I was maining a Charr.

• Iris Ng.9845Iris Ng.9845 Member ✭✭✭

I main supports in all the game modes. It's just my play style. I have all the possible heal builds with fully ascended gears. I also have alts to play DPS for flavor.

At the moment I just hit the 38k AP milestone, so I'm focusing on my boyfriend's account and my second account.

• sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭

Hard to tell since I jump between 4 chars and they all have similar hours in game and all have 100% map completion. For me it's thief, mesmer, guard, warrior.
    Thief because I always loved rogue characters in MMOs.
    Mesmer because I liked mesmer in GW1 and it's an interesting class for me. I like the aestethics also.
    Guardian because I liked the armor(esp shoulders) they show when you create your character.
    Warrior because I really like PvPing with this class and it just feels good and strong in general.

• Ooops.8694Ooops.8694 Member ✭✭✭

What's a main? =)

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭✭

When I first heard about the game and started looking into it, a little sylvari popped into existence, sat down, and patiently waited for me to get with the program and give him a name and a class. I tried finding a class that fit what I knew of his personality and landed on thief. And he's been my beloved main ever since. Hey, I'm a writer; I tend to think of characters as easily as breathing. (Plots, on the other hand? Let's just say there's a story I've been working on for about two and a half years and I STILL haven't gotten past the planning stage. The characters are all raring to go - I just don't know what to do with them! :))

As far as PVP goes, my usual "main" there is either a core ranger (because it's a lot of fun, simple, and effective), or a Scrapper (same reasons...and also because it's hilarious to see a tiny asura with an oversized hammer easily holding off ten-foot-tall rampaging norn and the like).

Don't cry, Daniel
    Fear not, Daniel
    Don't you know you're not alone?

• Ogwom.7940Ogwom.7940 Member ✭✭✭

I didn't.
    My main chose me.

• Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭

When I started to play, I just knew that I wanted to main a Sylvari.
    I love plants and playing a plant person was just awesome from the start, especially with the customization options you have like picking the color you are glowing in and the different plant hairstyles.

The very first character I created was a ranger. I just went with the most obvious choice for Sylvari, with their strong bond to nature.
    But I deleted that character just 5 minutes after. It just didn't feel right, but I didn't know why.
    I used to love the nature theme in the past, but over the years, I grew more interested in steampunk.

So I was looking at engineer and saw that they can build turrets, just like my Sylvari would also be able to use a plant turret with racial skills.
    I thought "let's give it a try", so I created a mushroom headed Sylvari engineer (I thought the mushroom head kinda makes him look like he is wearing one of these Chinese farmer hats and I loved that).

And then it just clicked. I loved everything, that my healing skill was a potion I can drink, my weapons with pistol as a starter and later my transition to rifle. That I could run around building turrets to blow up enemies (even if every engineer main has to accept some day that turreteer is terrible). That the combination of Sylvari and engineer was pretty uncommon.

And especially the alchemy theme is something that I learned to love, I hope that we can get an alchemy focused elite spec next.

• Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭

I am an alt maniac. I couldn’t choose. I made multiples for each elite build. (Before build templates.) my head canon role play makes some of them my favorites I play more than the others

• Alek Seven.2374Alek Seven.2374 Member ✭✭✭

It took me 7 deleted Mesmers before really finding the good build, the good fashion and now, my 8th one is the perfect one.

• Tere.4759Tere.4759 Member ✭✭✭

I don't have a main, I have 13 characters. I wouldn't consider any my main, well ok, probably my necro that never dies unless I do something stupid, but even she's not really a main. My ranger is my first character and it's because it's a pet class.

• Mahou.3924Mahou.3924 Member ✭✭✭

I don't have a main per say but Ranger is one profession I have played more than my other ones according to my gw2efficiency overview, followed by Guardian which was also my first chara. Outside of LS story-clearing, I tend to dabble with my other characters here and there for a few minutes or hours, like I had made a male Charr Engineer to play the last two LS4 episodes with him due to the deep voice during tense moments :lol:
    Based on this, I'd say Ranger and Guardian are my "main" story-professions. Ranger because I quite enjoy the VA of female Sylvari and Guardian for the afore-mentioned reason. When I'm not playing another game after completing the latest LS, I have started to play a bit on Thief and Warrior through main-PoF story, or I do a few events here and there to toy around with Condi or Power Renegade but nothing "meaningful" in a classical sense.

• Thief is my primary main. I go back and forth enjoying the playstyle. When I first was using him, it was all Sword/Pistol and I'd just 3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-. The number of times I died when originally playing drove me insane. Took a long break for the entirety of S1 and missed the first 2 chapters of S2.

Just before HoT came out when they were first announcing the Elite Specs I started getting back into it. Looking at guides and realizing that my stats and trait selections were gutting me. Ended up dagger/dagger for the longest time.

Daredevil was fun INITIALLY, but with HoT being the super hardmode I kind of fell back and started playing other professions primarily.

After another break PoF came out and I felt that Daredevil was the perfect feel of what I always felt Thieves should be. I typically went D/D and quickness on Mark trait and used that to cruise through the content. Then again started feeling stale and just couldn't get the spikes I was hoping for.

Eventually tinkered in WvW and came out with the Rifle OHKO build and omigod it has the spikes I was looking for.

Open World it suffers a lot with mobs, but on bosses it's mint.

You kind of fall in/out of love with professions over time. I always circle back around to my main eventually and try out different and new builds. Especially with Legendary equipment it's so much easier playtesting meme/non-meta builds to see if a certain playstyle out of your usual will reinvigorate a profession for you.

• kybraga.7103kybraga.7103 Member ✭✭✭

Elementalist because I loved the charr lore pertaining to Flame Legion and stuck him in that corner for time-out until I could come up with some sorta lore for him.

2020's here and I have a brief idea but yeah.

Elementalist Charr because Flame Legion.

• I'm a bit fickle, so I made and destroyed characters repeatedly back in the first few years of the game. Eventually, I had a stable of characters, one of each profession, that had settled out as keepers I was satisfied with. I have three that I consider "main", a Sylvari mirage with blue skin, red hair, and yellow eyes that looks like Mystique from the X-Men, a Black Sylvari daredevil that is named Vashta Nerada (devouring darkness from Dr. Who), and an adorable little Asura holosmith that looks like a grumpy steampunk mad scientist.

It's a combination of enjoying how their profession/elite spec plays and a sense of their personality, so to speak, that has made them my mains.

• My main is a Sylvari Mesmer. I just fell in love with the class after I started playing and stuck with her since. I like how I can play mostly solo with clones to help me, and I like the Sylvari race xD

I do have a Sylvari Elementalist too but I don't really use her much now lol, my Mesmer is my favorite. Though I'm thinking of making a Revenant to try.

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2020

I main a human ranger. I created her shortly after launch, and I actually intended to delete her since I just wanted to try out the class. I liked my sylvari mesmer more at the time, but I just grew fond of the way I designed her and the personality I developed in my head for my ranger. Adding to that, the bear pet was such a good tank for the early game while I ranged with longbow, so the play style ended up working best for me as I get overwhelmed in melee easily. It was just a perfect storm! I have 11 characters now, but she's the only one I really play lol.

• My main is a human female noble because i really enjoy this kind of storyline. My character apparently had no military experience when she left for Shaemoor and seeing her growing up nose-to-nose with other characters who are skilled scholars and warriors makes me happy.
    I play as a FB because i like to play healer and those beautiful sparkly skills match with my character a lot. I have some others of different races and background but i cant grow attached the same way i did with my human noble.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

i played warrior in GW1 just made sense to stick with it

• Joe Schmoe.6981Joe Schmoe.6981 Member ✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020

Mostly aesthetics (I main a dual-wield axe/greatsword/occasional gourd & board - aka mace & shield - warrior), as I'm pretty much a meat-and-potatoes, I-don't-do-fancy type player. I tend to like warriors in most other games as well, barbarian in Diabloes 2 & 3, warrior in Final Fantasy XIV as well as World of Warcraft. Otherwise, everything the class has really meshed well with me. Fast movement speed (like some other classes as well), banners & shouts (group support/healing), quick weapon swapping, and can wield kitten gosh golly darn gee whiz near anything, making for all kinds of different loadouts. Definitely my go-to class. :)

• @Joe Schmoe.6981 said:
    Mostly aesthetics (I main a dual-wield axe/greatsword/occasional gourd & board - aka mace & shield - warrior), as I'm pretty much a meat-and-potatoes, I-don't-do-fancy type player. I tend to like warriors in most other games as well, barbarian in Diabloes 2 & 3, warrior in Final Fantasy XIV as well as World of Warcraft. Otherwise, everything the class has really meshed well with me. Fast movement speed (like some other classes as well), banners & shouts (group support/healing), quick weapon swapping, and can wield kitten gosh golly darn gee whiz near anything, making for all kinds of different loadouts. Definitely my go-to class. :)

But to be fair, I have tried other classes, but they didn't pan out for one reason or another (FWIW none of these are at 80. I'm a newbie player as well, so there might be something I missed):

• Guardian. Haven't tried this one, but from what I hear they're extremely popular, which already soured me on playing this class. I don't like to follow the herd (although to be fair, I'm not sure how popular warrior is. But I do know that I see way more guardian buffs on me, than banners being placed around me though). Otherwise, from what little I know of them, they don't have the passive +25% movement speed buff that some others have, which is pretty much mandatory to me. I fuckittening hate base movement speed.

• Revenant. Love the healing spec, which plays almost like the healer monks in WoW, but got tired of switching to assassin stance just for the temporary movement speed buff. :angry:

• Ranger. I don't do pets. I don't do ranged either, but to be fair this has got to be the only game I've played where rangers can do melee as well. Most every other game I've played rangers ONLY use ranged weapons, even in melee range. :confused:

• Engineer. Haven't played, and probably never will. Aesthetic is too unappealing to me. Plus, apparently they can't do melee until max level so, no thanks.

• Thief. Stealth is a waste of a mechanic, as it only lasts 1-3 seconds. And stealing is on a 30-second cooldown :unamused: Ironically, this guy would actually be my main if it wasn't warrior, as mechanically and aesthetically I like the class. It's just those 2 issues that make go "Really?" :confused:

• Mesmer. Love the fencing spec, as it kinda reminds me of Jubei Yagyu. Otherwise, . . . . . Pink butterflies. . . . . No . . . . . just no.... And the fact that they have a half-asskittened 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off movement speed buff makes this class a no-go with me.

• Elementalist. See ranger and engineer above. Otherwise, love the air attunement. Too bad stance-dancing seems to be mandatory, yet still has a 10 second cooldown (warrior's discipline spec cuts this down to 5 seconds, and unlike ele you don't have to be level 80 to get this).

• Necromancer. See engineer. Not a fan of the aesthetic, and no melee until level 80. They got signet of don't-have-to-move-at-a-fuckittening-snail's-pace though, I'll give it that.

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020

I don't really have a main, i use whatever class can survive Hot and PoF until Anet nerfs them then i use the next best class to do the same..
    At the moment i main an Engi flamethrower Asura because its almost unkillable in pve.. until Anet destroys it of course.

• In RPG games, I always choose Rangers with bow and melee capabilites. In GW2 and also GW1, no different. I just love Rangers (nature based class) with pets or not. even in games like Dark Souls series, my first character is a bow user with melee capabilites, so fun to play even though it made the game harder sometimes.

• My original main (or the closest I ever have to a main) was a guardian because the late Mrs Cynic and I both wanted to try something that wasn't in GW1. She picked Engineer, and I picked Guardian as the closest I could get to Paragon.

But these days I prefer Minion Master Greatsword Reaper because it's monstrously tough and because it has Gravedigger.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Headcase.4618Headcase.4618 Member ✭✭✭

I picked a Norn guardian as my main cuz I wanted to be a like a giant tanky hero. I still play him for story content, except I also have made a bunch of alts since then that deal with dailies and the like

• Took me years to finally settle on a main, and now that I did, I'm super happy :) I basically combined my favorite race with my favorite profession, after trying them all.

Choosing the race was easy: I knew my main would either be human or sylvari. As much as I love the charr and the norn in terms of lore, charr and norn characters always felt too bulky for me, even after making them the shortest possible; human and sylvari characters are the ones I prefer to 'represent' me in-game because they're just about the right height for me. I ended up choosing sylvari mainly because (1) their lore is way more interesting compared to human lore (in my opinion), and (2) I think the sylvari race fits my favorite profession (Ranger) perfectly (in fact, it's a pretty "obvious" combination, and even though I tend to prefer more original choices, I can't change the fact that sylvari ranger is indeed my favorite combo).

Choosing the profession was more challenging. I had 4/5 favorites (Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, Engineer, and Thief), and in order for me to choose one for my main, I basically weighed the pros and cons of each. For example, as much as I love the concept of Thief, its playstyle always felt a bit boring to me (even if its elite specializations seem to be fun). So Thief was not an option for my main. I was left with the other four professions, which were all fun to me. I compared their concepts/themes, mechanics, elite specializations, and overall fun. Guardian was the one I excluded next because it wasn't as fun as the other three. Between Ranger, Warrior, and Engineer, it became easier to choose because Ranger was clearly my favorite. At first I struggled a little between Ranger and Warrior because with Ranger I only play Soulbeast, while with Warrior I play both Berserker and Spellbreaker, thus having a bit more variety in playstyle. Still, neither Berserker nor Spellbreaker is as fun as Soulbeast. And there are other aspects that make me prefer Ranger, such as its theme/concept and being a medium-armor profession (I prefer these classes and it's what I choose in any game).

And this is basically how I decided to main a sylvari ranger :)

• I focused on what type of skills i enjoy using. Since i love versatility and utility i enjoyed guardians, eles, rangers and revenants. Classes such as thieves did not come to my mind.
    Next i asked my self if i would ever want to go trough a crafting journey for a cool looking legendary weapon with my main, for my main. I liked eternity and howler so normally i went with guardian and ranger.

But in the end i went for revenant.

I had many mains.
    I went norn guardian cause i loved the blue theme, the versatility of the class and the possibility of crafting legendary eternity with and for my main
    Then i went ele cause i loved even more versatility, i loved all those elemental storms ,long range pulsing aoes and meteor showers
    Then i went ranger cause i enjoyed thematical versatility (has all sorts of different utility and each weapon can be used in a different environment) , i enjoyed the pet collection , how i could RP as a explorer for T.E.S. before doing any story at all as well as the possibility to craft legendary howler.

In the end i mained a revenant.
    It has lots of versatility and the traits make it so you get TONS of free stats such as critical hits, lots of condi duration and damage, damage mitigation, improved healing and boon duration.
    It has a bunch of achievements tied to the class so i can get a full set, as well as some hidden cool weapon sets.