How did you choose your main? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

How did you choose your main?

whoknocks.4935whoknocks.4935 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 26, 2020 in Lore

Is it the first profession you made or trying different profession during your playtime made you switch your main?

Or maybe you chose it for a particular reason?

Talking of myself I don't think I have a real main, lately I felt inlove with Reaper and I wanna do map completion in it and as well WvW and PvP, so I guess now Reaper is my main? XD

Thanks everyone :disappointed:

Comments

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2020

My first character was a Ranger, I largely choose Ranger because I wanted to collect all the pets as I travel through the world and that was an exclusive thing only Rangers could do.
    It felt like a sort of quest in a way and back then Gw2 was new so nobody knew where the pets were and I got to experience that fresh Gotta Find/Catch Em All experience ^^
    That played a big role in my decision.
    I also decided to play a Ranger during the GW2 Beta and I really liked how the class felt and handled, specially the Longbow so I really wanted to make an Archer character as well when the game officially released.
    And yeah I have played many different Ranger builds over the years but my main has always come back to being an Archer with a Longbow XD

So Ranger was my main for a long time but after I started experimenting with other classes I grew quite fond of the Necromancer and made that my main for a good while.
    But eventually I started playing Ranger again and got reattached to it and swapped my main back to Ranger and it has been my main class for the vast majority of Gw2's lifespan.
    I do consider Necro a secondary main or more accurately a joint main to Ranger since I do love the Necro too and Necro was my main back in Gw1 as well. (Necro/Ranger specifically)
    I do enjoy both classes quite evenly although Ranger does get more playtime than Necro due to dailies and my first character/ranger always being the character I take through new content first.

Warrior has started to work up the preferences a bit though in recent months, it's become my 3rd favourite class recently and I very much like sustain it has access to.
    Sustain/damage avoidance builds are by far my favourite playstyles in Gw2.
    I enjoy outhealing enemy damage (Necro/Warrior) or playing at Range/taking aggro off myself (Ranger).
    I have a thief build in mind that could push thief upto my 4th favourite if it works out well too so we'll see what happens with that one day.

Just for the sake of it too my least favourite class is Mesmer, I don't find that one all that fun to play despite having 2 of them XD

• @Teratus.2859 said:
    My first character was a Ranger, I largely choose Ranger because I wanted to collect all the pets as I travel through the world and that was an exclusive thing only Rangers could do.

Same for me! And now I collect mount skins. ^^

• I picked sylvari revenant because both seemed pretty unique to gw2. And then I just... kept playing on that character

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2020

I choose my main by how fun they are to play for me.
    So, my "main" usually switches between Dragon Hunter and Chronomancer.
    I started with a Full Soldier Hammer/Longbow Warrior though.

• paintpixie.7398paintpixie.7398 Member ✭✭✭

When I started, my main was a norn ranger. I liked using longbow, and I liked norns. I also did like to collect the pets, and come up with names for them, etc. I started losing interest in her around the time HoT came out because I didn't like the new specialization, and I was tired of being huge while trying to do jumping puzzles and stuff like that.

I switched to a sylvari mesmer, and I've had her as my main ever since. I liked her because she had decent dps but could also solo really hard mobs with her clones. I still wish that she could use a bow, because I really like bows, but I still really enjoy playing her.

I did like the Ranger specialization for PoF, but I never really got into my ranger again. I haven't played for over a year now, so I might go back to her, but for now I'm gonna see how I like my mesmer.

• Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020

i started 2015 with an warrior. For me ,it wasnt much fun so i quit after a few months.
    2018(or 2017 idk anymore) i came back and saw the Revenant, which wasnt there when i last played.

Now im revenant 90% of the time. I have fun with it (as herald) ,can be quick and agile, pretty supportive & tanky.... well yeah. Too sad so many are that toxic against heralds in PvE.
    Thats why i often change in endgame pve to meta classes, so people stop whining.

Also: I picked Charr-Revenant ,before i knew Rhytlock. Just didnt had an charr before :bleep_bloop:

• The Greyhawk.9107The Greyhawk.9107 Member ✭✭✭

Not sure if this thread should be in the Lore category but I'll bite.

Main in GW1 was a Ranger, found that I enjoyed GW2's rangers as well and stuck with it as a main, which as I'm an alt-oholic mostly translates to running my Ranger through new stuff first. It still has most of the best gear out of my characters and gets the most play time, but close seconds would be my Ele and my Thief as I just enjoy their game style as well.

Hate Is Fuel.

• EdwinLi.1284EdwinLi.1284 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020

Started out as a Ranger because I was a Ranger in GW2.
    Eventually tried Guardian because of heavy armor with greatsword magic attacks.
    Finally settled with Engineer because of Technology and Rifle.

I also saw potential in Engineer profession if they ever planned to expand Engineer in expansions before HoT was even released.

Engineer profession certainly has potential for creating a Elite Specialization themed around modifying and creating weapons but as of now there is no Elite Spec that focus on Modying the Engineer Main Weapons into having new and unique weapon skills based on how the Main Weapons are modified.

• Antycypator.9874Antycypator.9874 Member ✭✭✭

After testing a necromancer, engineer, elementalist and guardian, I made a thief and it was almost instant "I freaking love this backstabbing guy". It took me 6 months to find my true main.
    Currently, thief is my oldest character. Everything created before my charr thief has been deleted.
    Later, I recreated my first guardian (the same asura, look and name), but as a revenant. He died, and then returned from the mists or something like a true revenant.

Master of garbage builds and being useless.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have two mains. Goliath Bill is a direct descendant of my GW1 Ele and is named after him as well. The other is a multiverse-character I use in other fantasy games and fantasy tabletop RPG's as either a warrior or barbarian. The latter runs every content through first, but the former tend to play the content more

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I chose elementalist on day one because I love elemental stuff, I’m a big fan of a few shows that have that so I was a big fan of that type of thing. Also chose human male since that’s what I am and usually when I’m new I make the first character that since the new races are something I want to learn about first

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭

Came here to play as Charr, I was between Warrior, Engineer.

Warrior is a cliché class on most mmorpg.
    Checked a showcase video of animations and skills of every class, fell in love with engineer, rifles, turrets, grenades. Very unique for a fantasy rpg. I also read that they are hard to play so it was like a challenge accepted.

Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

I pretty much suspected my main would be a mesmer even before launch, since i played and loved my mesmer in Guild Wars 1. Yeah I know they're different but as it turned out they're equally fun for me.

However, the first character I played and leveled to 80 was an engineer. That was also the first character I completed the personal story on. See, I've been with my wife a long time and it takes her ages to settle on a main, so I saved my main to play with her main when she finally picked it. She started with an ele, and played for a while, tried a bunch of other classes, and finally ended up with a guardian. When I was sure it was going to be her main, I started playing my mesmer with her.

This is what experience looks like. lol

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

My first created profession is not my main anymore. First was ele because D/D was awesome in the beginning. But I dont really have a main, I kinda like to shift around specific professions. But I do have some least favorites. Engineer, thief and revenant are way below my other professions.