Now they really should give the necro at least one block and or stealth

silent killer.5732

The scourge already a very squashy class and you increase the shade by almost a double and cut whatever is he relied on on healing by three 150% less than usual healing.

Anet if you really don't like how the necro operates we are OK with you overhaul it from scratch but don't keep nerfing it over and over and over

Btw the epidemic is constantly buged where it not always activates and I know for a fact that it's not from the way I uses it nor the connection or anything.

It's an indirect nerfSame goes with blood of powerIt says 3/4 cast time but in reality it's about two to three seconds or so

Also the reaper.

I know for a fact that scyther shouldn't reach that far but it's a bug where you felt the need to do it just because the necro can never deal that much of damage compared to the rest of the classes.

All of you who plays necros I want you to pay attention to how far the reaper spinning can reach and tell me is that truly how it written in the skill description or Anet does that on purpose just to let the necro have a decent dps. With that being said. One (bug fixed to soul spiral) and boom all of the sudden the reaper is piece of crap all over again.

You need to check your selves Anet

BTW I have a theory that says if you are not a yes man you will almost never got a good drops and ascended chests. But at this point I'm totally OK with it if it's for the cost of having decent well balanced class.

Overhaul the whole necro if you still got more nerfing plans for the future.

Necromancer will most likely never get blocks or stealth outside of a new elite spec.

Chances for a new elite spec to get blocks are quite high in my opinion. The next elite spec for necromancer should be a bruiser with many defensive abilities.But I don't think you will get it for the core necromancer.

@Teratus.2859 said:Tbh I would rather them gain a bit more access to Protection and Stability..

We lost a good chunk of Protection when Vampuric Rituals was removed, AoE protection too which I personally got a lot of use from.

I really get the feeling that some of the recent changes were made to set up coming elite specs.

Like I said, the next elite spec for necromancer should be a bruiser like scrapper or daredevil are for their classes.Stability makes sense for a bruiser spec, protection does too. If the spec also gets additional self healing (life steal or anything), then even the new blood bank trait would make sense since it could have great synergy with a bruiser elite spec.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Tbh I would rather them gain a bit more access to Protection and Stability..

We lost a good chunk of Protection when Vampuric Rituals was removed, AoE protection too which I personally got a lot of use from.

I really get the feeling that some of the recent changes were made to set up coming elite specs.

Like I said, the next elite spec for necromancer should be a bruiser like scrapper or daredevil are for their classes.Stability makes sense for a bruiser spec, protection does too. If the spec also gets additional self healing (life steal or anything), then even the new blood bank trait would make sense since it could have great synergy with a bruiser elite spec.

I think it's far far too early to be making changes like that since the next Expac could still be very far off..Personally I don't expect it to come after Icebrood Saga or if it does then I expect a pretty heavy content drought between the final episode and the expansion.Even though i've not played the last 2 episodes I am pretty certain that so far Ice Brood Saga has done absolutely nothing to setup any Canthan storyline.Both Living World seasons 2 and 3 setup their expansions with a lot of build up content, so I expect the same will come for the next Xpack as well which is why I've got my money on another short living world season after Ice Brood Saga ends.

I could be wrong though.. but I hope that's not the case, I believe we really do need this next expac to be huge or people are going to be disappointed and deterred from buying any more afterwards.

Both HoT and PoF got a lot of criticism for their size and length.. and if we go to Cantha and only get 4-5 maps again and a story that can be rushed through in a day or two I expect people will once again feel like expansions in this game are just not worth it.3 expansions, 3 disappointments will be how they take it and they'll be done at that point.

Next one needs to be huge, jam packed full of content and finally giving that big expansion experience that people have been craving since they first finished the personal story several years ago.Plus this is Cantha we're going to as well.. there is so much love and excitement for this region because of Guildwars 1.. for a good number of us old players this was our favourite location in Gw1.They have a lot of high expectations to hit because of that XD

@Teratus.2859 said:

I think it's far far too early to be making changes like that since the next Expac could still be very far off..Personally I don't expect it to come after Icebrood Saga or if it does then I expect a pretty heavy content drought between the final episode and the expansion.Even though i've not played the last 2 episodes I am pretty certain that so far Ice Brood Saga has done absolutely nothing to setup any Canthan storyline.Both Living World seasons 2 and 3 setup their expansions with a lot of build up content, so I expect the same will come for the next Xpack as well which is why I've got my money on another short living world season after Ice Brood Saga ends.

I could be wrong though.. but I hope that's not the case, I believe we really do need this next expac to be huge or people are going to be disappointed and deterred from buying any more afterwards.

Both HoT and PoF got a lot of criticism for their size and length.. and if we go to Cantha and only get 4-5 maps again and a story that can be rushed through in a day or two I expect people will once again feel like expansions in this game are just not worth it.3 expansions, 3 disappointments will be how they take it and they'll be done at that point.

Next one needs to be huge, jam packed full of content and finally giving that big expansion experience that people have been craving since they first finished the personal story several years ago.Plus this is Cantha we're going to as well.. there is so much love and excitement for this region because of Guildwars 1.. for a good number of us old players this was our favourite location in Gw1.They have a lot of high expectations to hit because of that XD

Then prepared to be disappointed? Kind of dumb to compare your entire original story play through experience to an expansion, which as the name states, builds off of the original game. Not to mention you could beat the original personal story just as fast, the only limiting factor was that you were low level and had to level up to progress it. Buying the expansions literally give you more of everything while also funding post release content in the form of living story, events and gemstore junk. Tbh sounds more like you just need to wait for GW3 to relive your "big expectations" of rediscovering a new world.

@"Kodama.6453" said:Necromancer will most likely never get blocks or stealth outside of a new elite spec.

Chances for a new elite spec to get blocks are quite high in my opinion. The next elite spec for necromancer should be a bruiser with many defensive abilities.But I don't think you will get it for the core necromancer.

I think the chance of the necromancer getting stealth are higher than it's chance to get block. At least stealth can somehow fit with the whole "darkness" thing and thematically stealth work quite well with undeads (ghost/specter). On another hand, ANet clearly said that the necromancers aren't meant to nullify incoming effects, especially incoming hard CC and since "blocks" prevent incoming hard CC, it's unlikely that it will be added to the necromancer's kit.

The most you can expect in term of "block" is probably some damage/hard CC transfert to minions. These mechanisms having already been used on the ranger ("Protect me!" initial design and shared anguish in wilderness survival). It wouldn't be strange to have an elite spec revolving around minions and those mechanisms would fit just right within.

@Sylpheed.8163 said:

Then prepared to be disappointed? Kind of dumb to compare your entire original story play through experience to an expansion, which as the name states, builds off of the original game. Not to mention you could beat the original personal story just as fast, the only limiting factor was that you were low level and had to level up to progress it. Buying the expansions literally give you more of everything while also funding post release content in the form of living story, events and gemstore junk. Tbh sounds more like you just need to wait for GW3 to relive your "big expectations" of rediscovering a new world.

Not comparing core world game to expansions.More like comparing Gw2 expansions to pretty much any other MMO expansion, including GW1 which isnt technically a MMO.Very big difference.

I'm not saying the next expansion needs to rival the core world in content but it needs to have more than 4-5 maps, that's just too small an amount for a paid expansion.The more diverse the maps the better too.HoT give us 4 Jungle maps, but had a lot of verticallity to them which was new at the time.PoF give us 5 Desert maps that were largely flat.. but they were bigger than usual to accomdate the mounts.Cantha has some pretty unique biomes that can factor in a lot of different elements.. lots of water areas for underwater, lots of large city structures and giant trees for vertical maps, some snowy areas and mountains, green fields and rural villages, an extravagant palace, a gigantic underground city/sewer system.4-5 Maps aint going to cover all of that very well.I would say at minimum.. 7-8 maps would be needed to satisfy most players, That's not asking too much for paid expansion content.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Not comparing core world game to expansions.More like comparing Gw2 expansions to pretty much any other MMO expansion, including GW1 which isnt technically a MMO.Very big difference.

I'm not saying the next expansion needs to rival the core world in content but it needs to have more than 4-5 maps, that's just too small an amount for a paid expansion.The more diverse the maps the better too.HoT give us 4 Jungle maps, but had a lot of verticallity to them which was new at the time.PoF give us 5 Desert maps that were largely flat.. but they were bigger than usual to accomdate the mounts.Cantha has some pretty unique biomes that can factor in a lot of different elements.. lots of water areas for underwater, lots of large city structures and giant trees for vertical maps, some snowy areas and mountains, green fields and rural villages, an extravagant palace, a gigantic underground city/sewer system.4-5 Maps aint going to cover all of that very well.I would say at minimum.. 7-8 maps would be needed to satisfy most players, That's not asking too much for paid expansion content.

Gonna throw this out there, asking anything at all of A-net is too much. Over the years I've learned to expect the bare minimum and even that might be sparce, the sooner you accept that the corners will be completely cut and that it will be luke-warm with some wholesome moments the sooner you will be happy. The game will never be close to its predecessor in scope of an expansion, and it sure as heck wont compete with wow's expansions. Honestly ESO has smaller expansions than guild wars 2 does, but their expansions also add new toys outside of specs to play with so I Guess that might even out. Honestly be hesitantly optimistic and hope they've learned, but its likely we will get another PoF (Which in my opinion was the worst of the two expansions.)

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Kodama.6453" said:Necromancer will most likely never get blocks or stealth outside of a new elite spec.

I think the chance of the necromancer getting stealth are higher than it's chance to get block. At least stealth can somehow fit with the whole "darkness" thing and thematically stealth work quite well with undeads (ghost/specter). On another hand, ANet clearly said that the necromancers aren't meant to nullify incoming effects, especially incoming hard CC and since "blocks" prevent incoming hard CC, it's unlikely that it will be added to the necromancer's kit.

The most you can expect in term of "block" is probably some damage/hard CC transfert to minions. These mechanisms having already been used on the ranger (
"Protect me!"
initial design and
shared anguish
in wilderness survival). It wouldn't be strange to have an elite spec revolving around minions and those mechanisms would fit just right within.

Flavourwise, you can make blocks easily work for necromancer.Just give them skill animations based on bones, like creating bone walls in front of you or enveloping yourself in a bone armor and there you have your explanation for a block on necromancer.

One of the reasons why necromancer doesn't get to nullify effects is because of the shroud. You have an additional health pool with strong damage reduction on top of it.An elite spec can easily change this up and give necromancer more active defenses while getting rid of the shroud mechanic which forbids these mechanics to exist.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:Necromancer will most likely never get blocks or stealth outside of a new elite spec.

The most you can expect in term of "block" is probably some damage/hard CC transfert to minions. These mechanisms having already been used on the ranger (
"Protect me!"
initial design and
shared anguish
in wilderness survival). It wouldn't be strange to have an elite spec revolving around minions and those mechanisms would fit just right within.

Flavourwise, you can make blocks easily work for necromancer.Just give them skill animations based on bones, like creating bone walls in front of you or enveloping yourself in a bone armor and there you have your explanation for a block on necromancer.

One of the reasons why necromancer doesn't get to nullify effects is because of the shroud. You have an additional health pool with strong damage reduction on top of it.An elite spec can easily change this up and give necromancer more active defenses while getting rid of the shroud mechanic which forbids these mechanics to exist.

Like they did with Scourge?

Imo Necro will always be doomed by Anet's weird design code for it, which seems to bind no other profession. If they come up with improved concepts for Necro, they will just keep giving them to other professions.

Doesn't matter if it's a better Reaper in Holoforge, or basically the entirety of Rev at this point just seeming to be Necro 2.0, with Corruption just being a much superior Curses (which while it was already better designed, still received rework after rework while Necro's old lines remain mostly untouched), Devastation being a much superior Spite, or the Battle Scars mechanic which outshines the entire Blood Magic Traitline in terms of Siphoning with one Trait and would have been perfect in there, meanwhile they get it in an offensive Trait line for which you don't have to give up anything.

Instead Necro get's clunky "mitigation" like Death's Carapace which doesn't even refresh it's own stacks with new applications so you can't keep it up properly, before you get CC'ed into a ping pong ball.

I don't think Anet will ever learn that to balance Necro they have to take some power out of Shroud (instead of just loading more and more of Necro into it as bandaid for it's design shortcomings - just to then nerf it into the ground again) and instead have to make Necro a functioning profession outside of it's profession mechanic as well, which really wouldn't be that hard to pull off.

Necro would be so much more engaging to play and play against with some Shroud nerfs, and then for example turning Unholy Feast (Axe 3) into a duration bone wall block with the current Unholy feast as flip over to consume the block (kind of like Bandit's Defense), Dark Pact (Dagger 3) could be a targeted short range teleport, Oppressive Collapse (Torch 5) a ground target teleport, add some Finishers here and there (Blasts on Warhorn for example, like pretty much every other profession), rework Serpent Siphon into a useable defensive skill (something akin to Elixir S), and voila, suddenly Necro doesn't rely 100% on it's Shroud mechanics anymore which can then be brought down a little bit and it's already much more engaging both to play and fight against.

As it stands with Anets design philosophy for it, Necro will always be binary and boring, either you have/are in Shroud and win, or out of Shroud and dead. You either kite/avoid Shroud and win, or don't and lose. Either Shades are so oppressive you can't fight in them and it's frustrating, or so weak that Scourge is a free kill and useless.

It doesn't matter how many times Anet "flips Necro on and off" when the whole concept for the profession is faulty.

@"KrHome.1920" said:If I learned something from the 2 expansions, then it is that we can only expect more of the same.

No stealth, no blocks, no mobility.

There is definitely a lot of truth there... That said, ANet still is generous sometime, afterall, reaper got an ice field, a leap and a 2 whirl finishers (that was a lot of new tools).

Personally, I believe that if ANet want to give a "bruiser" spec to the necromancer, we will get a minion flavoured special mechanism and commands as utility skills (Because minions are a defining mechanic of the necromancer's defense design, DM is proof of that). As for the boon/condition focus, I think ANet could be very generous and add a brand "new" condition to the necromancer's condition kit: slow (This condition is already part of the kit in gw1 afterall and totally belong to the gw2 necromancer's theme. Beside, it would be dangerous to expand on weakness even if the necromancer have quite a good acces to this condition already).

necro doesn't really need the blocks or stealth as it is currently, though. core necro is still pretty tanky, and it deals a good amount of slow ramping up damage from its condition output. It tanks by having shroud, and shroud generation, although now nerfed, is still good. it's definitely not as broken as it used to be, but it's still good enough to get the job done.I don't understand the gripe here really. from my knowledge, necro has been consistently desired by groups in pve for a long while, and has been meta in pvp for a while as well. even back in HoT days, reapers were really sought after for their playstyle that they brought and their theme: slow, but heavy hitting spec that shredded through enemies so long as a support was around. Which is fine, because that's how the design of a dps build should be. Note League of Legends carries, they're always around groups, and even in the early laning phases of the game, they're with a support because without that support, they're food for the enemy team.

@Ghos.1326Truly, the greatest enemy to improvement is ignorance. I hope your desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

The devs ignoring the fact that the necromancer rely on tools that are very effective in PvP/WvW yet nigh useless in PvE is the reason behind the restlessness of the GW2 necromancer's community and answers like yours. The necromancer is tied to tools that are dangerously strong in PvP/WvW and hopelessly weak in PvE, this is the crux of the matter. People want block because it's a nice answer to prevent a heavy hit as well incoming hard CC (yes things that necromancer is weak against). People want stealth because in GW2 it's a busted mechanism with no drawback.

@Dadnir.5038 said:@Ghos.1326Truly, the greatest enemy to improvement is ignorance. I hope your desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

The devs ignoring the fact that the necromancer rely on tools that are very effective in PvP/WvW yet nigh useless in PvE is the reason behind the restlessness of the GW2 necromancer's community and answers like yours. The necromancer is tied to tools that are dangerously strong in PvP/WvW and hopelessly weak in PvE, this is the crux of the matter. People want block because it's a nice answer to prevent a heavy hit as well incoming hard CC (yes things that necromancer is weak against). People want stealth because in GW2 it's a busted mechanism with no drawback.

Scourge has been meta in pve for a while now, though, and if i'm not mistaken, it's been meta in pve since HoT because of the mass corruption it has. And it's pretty durable with the skills that grant it damage reduction, protection, and its shroud in general.

@Ghos.1326

Part of the issue is that necro has very few tools left that are useful in competitive game modes. There's very few options left and even less gameplay diversity as most reaper builds play the same, most core necro builds play similarly, and scourge is officially useless as its shades and shade skills are now too unimpactful to justify. Meanwhile other classes have huge gameplay diversity and they have more viable tools available to them... for example, Guardian, just using the Firebrand elite spec has a ton of viable builds that are very powerful in both small scale settings and large scale settings. Then there's still core guardian, and DH...

@Ghos.1326 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:@Ghos.1326Truly, the greatest enemy to improvement is ignorance. I hope your desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

Scourge has been meta in pve for a while now, though, and if i'm not mistaken, it's been meta in pve since HoT because of the mass corruption it has. And it's pretty durable with the skills that grant it damage reduction, protection, and its shroud in general.

Scourge is not meta for PvE. Mass corruption? For all of the 0 boons that are in PvE?

It is sometimes wanted in Strikes and that's it. In Raids it's outclassed by Druid/Healbrand and in Fractals it's literally useless.

Scourge has primarily existed due to Epidemic, which is hit or miss in its actual usefulness.

Skills that provide damage reduction? Such as? Protection? Oh you mean the wells trait that got deleted? Shroud in general? Shroud for Scourge is just some barrier which is useful, but not particularly amazing (Not like a Guardian auto applying Aegis or applying AoE Aegis/Protection/Stability/Resistance) while Shroud for Reaper is tied to DPS so you don't want to soak damage with it.

All the things you mention are only relevant in PvP/WvW.

Mass corruption is useful in PvP/WvW because people spam boons like mad (And are also actually affected by the conditions they get corrupted into)

Necro is actually tanky in PvP/WvW because core Necro can use Shroud (Yes, core Shroud, not Scourge) for its damage reduction and health bar replacement (Which is not possible in PvE, since for Core Necro, Shroud is a DPS loss from its already underwhelming DPS)

@Taril.8619 said:

Scourge is not meta for PvE. Mass corruption? For all of the 0 boons that are in PvE?

It is sometimes wanted in Strikes and that's it. In Raids it's outclassed by Druid/Healbrand and in Fractals it's literally useless.

Scourge has primarily existed due to Epidemic, which is hit or miss in its actual usefulness.

Skills that provide damage reduction? Such as? Protection? Oh you mean the wells trait that got deleted? Shroud in general? Shroud for Scourge is just some barrier which is useful, but not particularly amazing (Not like a Guardian auto applying Aegis or applying AoE Aegis/Protection/Stability/Resistance) while Shroud for Reaper is tied to DPS so you don't want to soak damage with it.

All the things you mention are only relevant in PvP/WvW.

Mass corruption is useful in PvP/WvW because people spam boons like mad (And are also actually affected by the conditions they get corrupted into)

Necro is actually tanky in PvP/WvW because core Necro can use Shroud (Yes, core Shroud, not Scourge) for its damage reduction and health bar replacement (Which is not possible in PvE, since for Core Necro, Shroud is a DPS loss from its already underwhelming DPS)

Sorry, not corruption. I'm thinking of condition transfer.