Isn't it about time for another poll of WvW players?

Pensadora.9478

Can we have another poll, please?

It's been a long time since you last asked for our input regarding server linkings, and I'd imagine with more informed players, we'll have some different results around topics like that.

I'd like to see the poll taken from among the actual players of WvW and not every player of the game, including those that don't touch, aren't active in WvW. Make a cutoff based on WvW rank. {Edited, answers below confirm this is being done]

Some questions I'd like to see:

• Do you want to continue the server linking system? (Yes, No)
  • If the linking system is continued, how frequently do you want re-links to occur? (Display options, vote all you could support)
  • If the linking system were discontinued, what would you like in it's place to achieve population balance? (Display options, vote all you could support)
  • Which of these would you like us to focus on for our next Competitive Update in WvW? (Display options, vote for X)
  • [What else should go here?]

@Pensadora.9478 said:Can we have another poll, please?

It's been a long time since you last asked for our input regarding server linkings, and I'd imagine with more informed players, we'll have some different results around topics like that.

I'd like to see the poll taken from among the actual players of WvW and not every player of the game, including those that don't touch, aren't active in WvW. Make a cutoff based on WvW rank.

• If the linking system is continued, how frequently do you want re-links to occur? (Display options, vote all you could support)
  • If the linking system were discontinued, what would you like in it's place to achieve population balance? (Display options, vote all you could support)
  • Which of these would you like us to focus on for our next Competitive Update in WvW? (Display options, vote for X)

Agreed Pens. A new poll would be good. What you posted almost seems like three or four, which wouldn't be bad as a series over a few weeks. Like one per week or something.

A pool would be good, but at the moment I would be happy with at least someone info on where we are going from here .

At the moment, the only things I recall that came out after the pools (which replaced the Massive WvW Overhaul year long project that never happened):

• Alpine Borderlands are back (much needed, but not really a change but rather reverting a bad move)
  • Server linking (dubious change, it keeps the mode a bit alive but also kills it by destroying lower population servers)
  • Pips (a bit better rewards, but I feel they are "meh" and could use better reward (liquid gold reward would be nice) - at the moment I am also just gathering stacks of the skirmish chests with 0 use.
  • Ascended / Legendary Armor (much appreciated change, which has already earned me my first set of legendary armor, but I feel it is minor. The lack of marks in WvW is also, let's put it as "strange". The time gate with skirmish tickets is also too long - prices of tickets should go down or tickets per week need to be slightly higher - 6 months for a full WvW legendary set is too much, I feel that something like 3-4 months would be fair).
  • Gliding (which I personally like, despite all the issues that came with it - most of which I feel have been resolved)

Besides that, what did we get? The "Competitive month" that came was also very overhyped for what it delivered IMO - I mean for WvW it was just the introduction of the skirmish rewards and nothing else.

The expansion, on its turn, delivered literally 0 to WvW - new professions don't count (and have also brought a plethora of balance issues) - but I guess it is fair since they did say that WvW would get nothing with the expansion.

But now, we are just trying to reach out to emptiness as we have 0 clue what, if anything, is being worked on or where we go from here.

ANet quited WvW guys.. for the momment dont expect anything, they left pvp and WvW on auto mode.. theres even PoF specs bugs to fix.... only the easy ones to notice were fixed.

And besides, ANet pools never adressed the reason game is fail(or the real issues), their solutions always required other solutions, they are worse than microsoft patches....

@Pensadora.9478 said:Can we have another poll, please?

I'd like to see the poll taken from among the actual players of WvW and not every player of the game, including those that don't touch, aren't active in WvW. Make a cutoff based on WvW rank.

1. Linking is not being removed.

2. Quote from McKenna Berdrow...

“Hey guys, since I’m seeing this topic pop up a lot, I wanted to step in and clear up some misconceptions.

1. Nearly every player that voted, plays WvW at least somewhat regularly.

2. Whether they play 1 hour a week, or dozens of hours a week, the breakdown between people who voted ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ remains very constant around the 65/35 split.

3. The in-game poll notification mail is only sent to players who are actively playing WvW. They must be at least rank 10, and have ranked up while the poll was running.”

The only thing I'd like to see changed as many other players have asked for is GET RID OF THE MASSIVE MESSAGE "Server X HAS TAKEN YOUR ENTIRE MAP DIE!!!".

It's right smack in the middle of your screen and at times you can't even see what an enemy player is casting or buffs. I keep hearing there is a way to turn it off but nobody seems to know when I ask around. Really distracting during small scale fights.

Someone quoted it best back then: "This isn’t a quality of life issue. It’s a common sense issue that should have never made it into the game to begin with"

@Pensadora.9478 said:@"Swagger.1459" Since you found the quote(s), could you also include the date(s)?

I think WHEN McKenna said those things is relevant. Thanks!

I know for a fact the poll on server linking viability was over a year ago and occured within the very first link "beta" cycle. I want to say it was about a month and a half into that cycle.

Remember at that time links were supposed to be 3 months, I don't recall if we ever actually made it through one 3-month link before the second poll about schedule passed, but I know we didn't make it through 2 whole 3-month links before the schedule poll.

So, linking beta went into effect April 22, 2016 and was polled on viability sometime between May and June 2016.

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:The only thing I'd like to see changed as many other players have asked for is GET RID OF THE MASSIVE MESSAGE "Server X HAS TAKEN YOUR ENTIRE MAP DIE!!!".

It's right smack in the middle of your screen and at times you can't even see what an enemy player is casting or buffs. I keep hearing there is a way to turn it off but nobody seems to know when I ask around. Really distracting during small scale fights.

Someone quoted it best back then: "This isn’t a quality of life issue. It’s a common sense issue that should have never made it into the game to begin with"

You seem to have missed it. They added a checkbox in the options some time ago now that lets you turn that off. "Hide Optional Announcements"

@Chaba.5410 said:

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:The only thing I'd like to see changed as many other players have asked for is GET RID OF THE MASSIVE MESSAGE "Server X HAS TAKEN YOUR ENTIRE MAP DIE!!!".

You seem to have missed it. They added a checkbox in the options some time ago now that lets you turn that off. "Hide Optional Announcements"

THANK GOD, nobody knew in wvw map chat lol.....I'll find it today, thanks!

@Pensadora.9478 said:I'd like to see the poll taken from among the actual players of WvW and not every player of the game, including those that don't touch, aren't active in WvW. Make a cutoff based on WvW rank.

They already did this....You have to have a minimum of rank 10, you have to have gained a rank that week.When the requirements are met they send you an in game mail for the forum poll.

True the poll is open to all players in the forums, but there isn't much they can do about that, I don't think they have a system to actually lock out who can vote. But they already limit the exposure to wvw players as it is anyways, it's in the wvw forums where a lot of pve players don't give two kittens to read, the message is only to those that played that week in wvw. Any other pve players coming in to vote most likely heard about it in game in pve or guild channels.Regardless, pve players are not invested or care about wvw as much as some of you seem to think.

I don't think we need a poll on links, just take them out. I'd like to see the crying over population drops and lack of fights while half the player base scrambles to transfer to a t1 server, because some of you still don't understand that without links those lower populations servers and communities were going to die regardless, some of you stick your head in the sand and don't want to face that fact. WvW has been slowly losing players since day one, HoT made it a drop off the cliff, which did recover to a point, but it sure as hell isn't back to the populations before HoT.

As for other areas to poll on, they've addressed a number of things in the past year to update wvw.Links to increase population on server/maps.Reward tracks.Skirmish mode to help with run away scores.Changes to point scoring from captures and ppk.Proper and up to date reward system.1 up 1 down matchups.Gliding.They tried to bring siege stuff but players were split on that.(And please don't dismiss this all as minor changes, they are in fact major changes that required significant amount of work, it's much more than they did in the prior 4 years combined.)

Only other things for them to look at is a new map, but that's a touchy subject around here.Mounts which I don't think would be a good idea, but it will happen at some point like gliding.Don't say balance, they are not in charge of that.Restart work on the alliance system for population balance.Work on updating the entire ppt system, maybe look at other options like a lattice system.

@Lionwait.4815 said:Yea I'm still waiting on the quality of life changes that we down voted a year or two ago.

You know, they had been working on those QoL changes on the side while working on the big stuff? and it's pretty much done.

Add an option for reduced nameplate clutter. - AddedAdd cross-map team chat. - AddedAdd objective-summary tool tips. - AddedAdd a display effect for Righteous Indignation on map markers. - AddedAdd floating indicators when gaining points toward war score. - AddedAdd a WXP-gain sparkle trail. - dunnoAdd a territory-control map overlay. - Added with glidingAdjust objective score relative to upgrade level. - AddedAdjust score for capturing objectives. - AddedReduce the impact of night capping. - Added with skirmish modeLessen the gap between winning scores and losing scores so losing teams can still recover. - Not added, controversial change they would only think about if base skirmish didn't work well.

What else were you looking for?

I don't think Links are an issue, some of the higher links have some hefty queues that can be depressing but over all the influx of players for the Xpac will slowly dwindle as it always does and we'll be back to empty servers if we ditch the links. Just my opinion of course.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Lionwait.4815 said:Yea I'm still waiting on the quality of life changes that we down voted a year or two ago.

You know, they had been working on those QoL changes on the side while working on the big stuff? and it's pretty much done.

Add an option for reduced nameplate clutter. - AddedAdd cross-map team chat. - AddedAdd objective-summary tool tips. - AddedAdd a display effect for Righteous Indignation on map markers. - AddedAdd floating indicators when gaining points toward war score. - AddedAdd a WXP-gain sparkle trail. - dunnoAdd a territory-control map overlay. - Added with glidingAdjust objective score relative to upgrade level. - AddedAdjust score for capturing objectives. - AddedReduce the impact of night capping. - Added with skirmish modeLessen the gap between winning scores and losing scores so losing teams can still recover. - Not added, controversial change they would only think about if base skirmish didn't work well.

On top of my list would be:

• In conjunction with population rebalancing, updating Scoring allows us to decide a winner of a match more fairly, and thus reward players more fairly
    • Currently we can’t give out worthwhile rewards for winning, as most match-ups are already decided before they begin

@XenesisII.1540 said:

Less skill lag in big fights, like reset nights.Some balance patches to shake up the meta, more than just once every 2 years zzzAlso wvw rewards are still heavily behind other modes. Until we at least get gold from our pips chests like pvp does, we will remain far behind.

@Korgov.7645 said:On top of my list would be:

• In conjunction with
    population rebalancing
    , updating Scoring allows us to decide a winner of a match more fairly, and thus reward players more fairly
    • Currently we can’t give out worthwhile rewards for winning, as most match-ups are already decided before they begin

The whole pips and participation system is the fairly giving out rewards, while not being heavily tied to scoring or winning.As I mentioned in my other post, population balance issue could be something they could look at again now by taking some time to work on the alliance system they had in the works before, since they've pretty much gotten a lot of other pressing issues to update wvw out of the way. Links was the quick and easy solution they used at the time to stop wvw from bleeding.

@Vova.2640 said:Less skill lag in big fights, like reset nights.Some balance patches to shake up the meta, more than just once every 2 years zzzAlso wvw rewards are still heavily behind other modes. Until we at least get gold from our pips chests like pvp does, we will remain far behind.

Feel free to go complain to Anet about adding more conditions and boon spam to the game since HoT, which has added to the calculations that help lag wvw fights. Also go complain in the general forums about class balance because the wvw devs are the not the ones responsible for designing or balancing classes and their specs and spells. They will obviously report broken stuff like scourge and things will eventually get balanced, but that's not solely for the wvw team to deal with as this heavily affects pve as well.

Wvw rewards are not heavily behind, we have our own legendary back pieces, we have access to ascended gear with legendary stat changes. The time to obtain might be a bit long but that's what happens for an open mode where players can go afk for a portion of their participation time and still earn rewards. They have to be mindful of the lazy players who will take advantage of the system to gain easy rewards. You don't even need a huge amount of gold as you can buy all the pieces with tickets, unless you're using the crafting marks versions, in which case... just go craft the gear instead. Spvp may get gold in their chests but we get a ton more drops and crafting ingredients in wvw to make up for it.

@HazyDaisy.4107 said:

@Pensadora.9478 said:@"Swagger.1459" Since you found the quote(s), could you also include the date(s)?

I think WHEN McKenna said those things is relevant. Thanks!

I know for a fact the poll on server linking viability was over a year ago and occured within the very first link "beta" cycle. I want to say it was about a month and a half into that cycle.

Remember at that time links were supposed to be 3 months, I don't recall if we ever actually made it through one 3-month link before the second poll about schedule passed, but I know we didn't make it through 2 whole 3-month links before the schedule poll.

So, linking beta went into effect April 22, 2016 and was polled on viability sometime between May and June 2016.

Ok. Thanks. I thought it had been quite a long time. So, 18 months ago we were polled on our thinking re: WvW re-links.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to request another so that the existing and more informed playerbase be given another go at the "How frequent should we re-link servers?" question, and about the server linking system - whether to retain it or try for something else.

As for quoting McKenna from the past without full disclosure of the date of those quotes, I'd certainly hate to see all my past positions brought forward and presented as if they were currently valid and the final answer to questions being asked in the now. If it is always the case that once stated, ANet will never update their thinking or change course based on what is happening in the game mode or the requests of the playerbase, we should just have a list pinned to this discussion board of all the topics we shouldn't bother discussing.

For future reference here's a handy link for McKenna's responses for wvw.https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/members/McKenna-Berdrow-2759/showposts

The old boards were kitten for keeping dates after a year, if you search the polls though you will see the dates they were conducted.April 22nd was when links first started, it's in the giant april 19th patch notes, when Anet finally decided to get off it's kitten and work on fixing stuff after mr hype train left anet. The poll on keeping world linking was done May 21st.https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-21-May-World-Linking-Closed

This was posted between june 14-24th.https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/On-the-Validity-of-WvW-surveys/first#post6212881

1. Nearly every player that voted, plays WvW at least somewhat regularly.
  2. Whether they play 1 hour a week, or dozens of hours a week, the breakdown between people who voted ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ remains very constant around the 65/35 split.
  3. The in-game poll notification mail is only sent to players who are actively playing WvW. They must be at least rank 10, and have ranked up while the poll was running.

June 6th was when they reevaluated the link schedule, the next links were done june 24th, aug 26th.https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-6-June-World-Linking-Schedule-CLOSED/page/3#post6196507

The poll has ended! After removing all votes for “Don’t Count My Vote” the final results are:38.1% Reevaluate match-ups monthly.15.9% Reevaluate match-ups every other month.28.9% Reevaluate match-ups quarterly.5.5% Reevaluate match-ups every 4 months.11.6% Reevaluate match-ups every 6 months.After analyzing the results we have decided to go with a 2 month world linking evaluation schedule because the majority of players voted for evaluations to be morefrequent than quarterly but less frequent than monthly. Since we have decided to reevaluate every 2 months we will be reevaluating the current world links and making adjustments on the very last Friday of every even month starting this month on the 24th. Thank you to everyone who voted!

The majority of players wanted between 1-3 months, that's why they went with 2 months as a compromise.

P.S I was bored.

Archived