Do you enjoy the current meta? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

Do you enjoy the current meta?

Tycura.1982Tycura.1982 Member ✭✭✭

If you're feeling inclined explain your thoughts.

Do you enjoy the current meta? 63 votes

Yes
14%
Aktium.9506Nimrod.9240Elmo Benchwarmer.3025Fashion Mage.3712mixxed.5862Aaron.1294Dantheman.3589Tayga.3192Brimstone Jack.3462 9 votes
No
77%
Exciton.8942Trevor Boyer.6524crosknight.3041Starbreaker.6507Amityel.5324Anna.7845Zok.4956dragonkain.3984mortrialus.3062Raiden The Beast.3016Poelala.2830Kallist.5917otto.5684DanAlcedo.3281godofcows.2451kiwituatara.6053A State of Trance.3675Cyric.7813viquing.8254thundermarch.5643 49 votes
Indifferent
7%
FrownyClown.8402Broady.2358Seku.6928Avatar.3568threekings.3621 5 votes

Comments

  • Alexander.7694Alexander.7694 Member
    edited July 31, 2020
    No

    The problem is that the current meta has only very few professions that are needed in high end teams, because of the way they are designed or because they are overpowered, leaving the rest of the professions "off-meta", there should be more balance.

    Also damage is still way too high, if one gets focused, one dies within 1 second. Of course focused players should go down faster, but at least should have a chance to try and press a skill.

    Then, chain CC without diminishing returns is another issue affecting game enjoyment, way too many specs have way too many skills that can chain control your character for 5-10 seconds (I am not talking simple immobilise, but totally unable to act), which is not fun, and in pvp is an eternity, and enough to die x5 times if you are focused on.

    Finally, the rated matchmaking system is not good. It should allow groups to participate (and compensate for their points earned/lost accordingly if they play again non-grouped teams as clearly groups have a coordination advantage) - or simply match groups with groups in ranked, and non-grouped people with non-grouped people (as it is now). The reason is that playing ranked with random players often leads to people who either afk, they are bots, or simply don't know how to play, or they are abusive in chat, which is very frustrating experience in all cases. Also this way people can't play with their friends and earn pips at the same time. Alternatively, allow the same pip reward progress in the unranked games, where teams are allowed.

    The pvp system in this game has huge potential with the variety of professions and maps it offers, it just needs a little work to make it top class IMHO.

  • Tayga.3192Tayga.3192 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

    A lot of classes have plenty of builds to choose from, at least for ranked.

  • UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Its a post-megapatch meta, so obviously no. Diversity is still down, with 2 classes straight up not viable, and all but 2 classes only having 1 real build to choose from, as opposed to the diversity we had pre-megapatch. Damage is still far too low, meaning glass cannons are still unkillable in 1v1s, and sidenoders basically fight each other with pool noodles while waiting for a +1. PvP has become the least skilled it has ever been.

    But I also dont have high hopes for the future. What they need to do is increase damage by 20-30%, across the board. But theyre not going to, instead theyre going to try to nerf healing skills and damage from the classes that "do too much damage", and the game will continue to get worse and worse. At this point they should just revert the megapatch and everything since then, go back to the drawing board and figure out everything that went wrong, and try it again, with less of a damage reduction.

  • Tayga.3192Tayga.3192 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

    @UNOwen.7132 said:
    with 2 classes straight up not viable,

    Which ones? Hopefully you didn't write that thinking mesmer and warrior.

  • UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    @Tayga.3192 said:

    @UNOwen.7132 said:
    with 2 classes straight up not viable,

    Which ones? Hopefully you didn't write that thinking mesmer and warrior.

    Which other 2 classes have been absent from tournaments and high rank ladder (well, while high rank ladder existed, anyway).

  • Tayga.3192Tayga.3192 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

    @UNOwen.7132 said:
    Which other 2 classes have been absent from tournaments and high rank ladder (well, while high rank ladder existed, anyway).

    Looks like my expectations were too high. Smh I never learn.

  • UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    @Tayga.3192 said:

    @UNOwen.7132 said:
    Which other 2 classes have been absent from tournaments and high rank ladder (well, while high rank ladder existed, anyway).

    Looks like my expectations were too high. Smh I never learn.

    Oh please, do try to explain how Warrior and Mesmer totally are viable, and its just a coencidence theyre completely absent from high level play. Though I dont expect you to do better than Shao, who failed miserably at it.

  • rng.1024rng.1024 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Alexander.7694 said:
    The problem is that the current meta has only very few professions that are needed in high end teams, because of the way they are designed or because they are overpowered, leaving the rest of the professions "off-meta", there should be more balance.

    Also damage is still way too high, if one gets focused, one dies within 1 second. Of course focused players should go down faster, but at least should have a chance to try and press a skill.

    Then, chain CC without diminishing returns is another issue affecting game enjoyment, way too many specs have way too many skills that can chain control your character for 5-10 seconds (I am not talking simple immobilise, but totally unable to act), which is not fun, and in pvp is an eternity, and enough to die x5 times if you are focused on.

    Finally, the rated matchmaking system is not good. It should allow groups to participate (and compensate for their points earned/lost accordingly if they play again non-grouped teams as clearly groups have a coordination advantage) - or simply match groups with groups in ranked, and non-grouped people with non-grouped people (as it is now). The reason is that playing ranked with random players often leads to people who either afk, they are bots, or simply don't know how to play, or they are abusive in chat, which is very frustrating experience in all cases. Also this way people can't play with their friends and earn pips at the same time. Alternatively, allow the same pip reward progress in the unranked games, where teams are allowed.

    The pvp system in this game has huge potential with the variety of professions and maps it offers, it just needs a little work to make it top class IMHO.

    This is a actually a good suggestion. Let's say we cut rating gain on a win by 10% per player in your party, meaning everyone can queue with up to 4 friends and duo's will be the least punishing.

  • No

    I don't like it because I feel like it punishes my ADD.

    Everything is slower from side-node duels to teamfights so I tend to just kind of zone out and play on autopilot.
    That's on me somewhat for playing a Bunker build, but i'm also a Warrior main so that's the only way to really play my class without a handicap at this point.
    In my defense, like 75% of the people I end up stalling are usually playing some sort of high-sustain condi build or a bunker build themselves now so we just harmlessly bap eachother for however long it takes for one of us to give up or to get a +1.

    The current meta feels pretty spammy too tbh. Teamfights just feel so bloated with red circles and information that paying attention to it all seems impossible.

    I totally get if people like this because before; you'd constantly have to be on your toes to not be 0-death'd, but personally i'd rather that than being bored.

    Ranked DuoQ 😡👉🚪

  • felix.2386felix.2386 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020

    ..tbh now is alot better then feb 25 that's for sure.
    i play warrior and holo at the same time.
    warrior and holo really have similar sustain and damage
    problem making holo meta and warrior trash is that
    the constant application of super speed and the fact that holo can apply damage at any angle and decent access to quickness..
    of course and some known benefit from elixir S for safe stomp/rez.

    i can understand why devs only making minor nerfs and close to useless buffs to warrior by simply looking at class self performance wise..but i don't think devs understand what makes a class meta or they simply don't care

  • Dantheman.3589Dantheman.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

    Yes. Some specs that had naturally untouchable mechanics are playable but balanced and most things are fairly balanced with the others being touched on by updated patches. Feels like the majority of things are closer to ground level for the first time in years after the major patching.

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Did not we have another thread regarding this recently? In any case, I don’t enjoy CC, bunker slugfest.

  • Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020
    No

    This meta is terrible.

    Let me sum up what happened here:

    • Usually, a build is only good at being one of these at a time: Team Fighter or Team Support or +1 Roam or Side Node Monkey.
    • In this meta patching now, for some reason Arenanet took the Team Support role, and started buffing all the classes that were Team Supports, so they could also be Team Fighters that were also somehow dominant Side Node Monkeys, that were for whatever reasons allowed to have nearly the mobility of a +1 Roam, while still being a stapled powerful Team Support.
    • Then everything else was left normal, where it could only perform 1 job role.

    The meta is more fun when it revolves more around high risk high reward game play, where any class can beat any class if they outplay. A meta consisting of these historical builds, considering they were patched right with a decent intra-class balance, would be the most fun:

    • Core Guardian Burst or maybe even Power DH - No FB supports
    • Strength Spellbreaker or even CC DPS train Berserkers
    • Power Shiro only - No Ren supports
    • LB/GS Power Ranger/Soulbeast, Berserker variants - No Druids
    • DP SD Thieves/Daredevils, maybe even Rifle DE - No Condi Thieves. It always funks up the game play.
    • Power based Holo builds, after a bit of sustain was cut off. Power based Scrapper wouldn't be bad to employ
    • Power Mes/Chrono/Mirages - No Condi
    • Fresh Air Eles or traditional 1v1 Fire Weavers - No Tempest Supports
    • And then Necro would have to be somewhat tanky because that's just what the class is

    In an environment like this ^ with no supports and no rando condi aoe no-animation rando damage, the game would feel great to play. I like diversity and I like power/condi play alike. But historically speaking, the biggest problems we continue to have with GW2 in terms of balance & the feel of the game, are all related to condi spam builds and when builds have too much sustain.

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Just look at my icon.

  • Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Thief dominates the game and dictates every single build and action you can make as a player in every single match. The class is insanely easy to play if you aren't d/p and far too effective for how little effort p/d and s/d take to play. You have to have a seizure at your keyboard to die on the class, and it's far too hard to punish a thiefs mistake while too easy for a thief to punish you in any situation. You have to play like a god to protect yourself from dying to a thief while they can just mindlessly run around pressing "T" and then mashing all their damage into the target.

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    I still think that the current game modes we have favour certain Professions and builds far too greatly over the others.

    It's in a perpetual war between who can hold points better, and who can outrotate better, which ends up in only a handful of effective builds which is actually able to win games if both sides are playing with the meta in mind.

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • No

    I think we should wait for more Nade-Holo Players to reply. Right now, only five have responded. ;-)

  • Avatar.3568Avatar.3568 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent

    It's getting better with build diversity, but still garbage

  • Paradoxoglanis.1904Paradoxoglanis.1904 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    Diversity is good, gameplay is awful. Necro tanks, aura spamming tempests, passive bunkers, explosives holos, SA thieves, and then all the meme non-meta builds that are just as painful to fight.

  • FrownyClown.8402FrownyClown.8402 Member ✭✭✭
    Indifferent

    The meta offers more off-meta builds to work in unranked. Meta favors team healing and cc. Not enough people to counter tempest with the damage nerf to power rev and thief. Some power coefficients for certain skills needs to be rolled back. The range on aura share maybe reduced.

  • mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

    • Power Mes/Chrono/Mirages - No Condi

    Friendship ended

    Best Dressed Memser NA.

  • viquing.8254viquing.8254 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

    I want to play mesmer, thx.

  • Aihao.5824Aihao.5824 Member ✭✭✭
    No

    too low sustain, all i can do as a thief is decap and+1, feels like we are playing as 4.5 vs 5. I cant contest, i cant kill (ofc if enemy bunker knows what buttons he must press).
    Game extremely unpunishing for mistakes that ppl make cuz of total bunker domination, so now ppl at p1 are equal to old g1 - they just afk at mid and seems like never heard about rotation.
    Hope anet bring powerdamage at the same level with condi.