More Achievements but .. no achievement?

Rauderi.8706

Sticking this in Living World because this mostly pertains to IBS (though hints of it are all over Season 4).

Achievements and Collections are a good idea on the surface, giving goals to players and guiding them to content in the game or in a specific map and coaxing them to participate. No problem with that part in theory.My issue is with many of the achievements being very easy to dot little collectables on the map and done to excess to pad the game.40 little coins? Half the time lazily executed with no clues. 20, with sufficient hints, would be enough.Do a meta 15+ times? That shows up once very two hours? For a mastery point? Offer the mastery point after the first run of the meta so the player knows it exists and did the content. 30+ hours of waiting for one digital cookie is unconscionable.Catching events that spawn randomly? ..after a once-per-halfhour meta? Seriously? Don't gate gameplay benefits behind stuff like this.

These don't even feel meaningful. And no, I don't mean they have to be hard or "challenging" to complete, but any sense of achievement in them is lost in the gush of disgusted relief that we're finally done with them when we do finish. There's no contentment, only the sour taste of all our wasted time. Because we know it's all a game-time extending ploy and not fun.

If players don't like the shallow content that has been occurring during season 5, including the grind within grind with RNG on top of it all, you're best to make your opinions known now. What you're seeing with this season is probably the direction that they're going for the expansion as well. It could be LS5 all over again but in Cantha.

Half these mastery points are communes and 20 percent are story so do the basic things and you usually have enough. I mean complaining over a meta alot will do way over 10 times I just don't get. I mean don't pick the weapon collection or do cold war 10 times for those that hate instanced group stuff but hey. There are always extra or my alt account wouldn't easily be barely caught up each time.

Yeah, there's a lot of really annoying achievements/collections that are just busywork or require participation in events that spawn infrequently, let alone ones that require doing metas tons of times...

It also shows up with some of the later LW Dailies, where you end up needing to do a bunch of events that don't happen very often (To be honest, this has been going on since LW3... Bloodstone Fen and the Rift events, Siren's Call and the freaking Kingpin's, Domain of Kourna and the Vine Wall events, Races in Sandswept Isles etc.)

It'd be somewhat acceptable if these achievements gave a more impressive reward, but they typically don't. Just the same old 5 AP as any other achievement. Maybe a redundant Mastery Point...

If they gave like a unique skin, an ascended item or something that would make the annoyance you need to put up with to attain them worthwhile. Otherwise, they should reduce the requirements and/or increase the spawn rate of required events (For example, the Daily in Domain of Kourna for the scarab beetle events is fine because those spawn like every minute so it's not a big deal to complete a bunch of them)

But then again, these unfulfilling achievments are nothing particularly new either. There's plenty of grindy and unrewarding achievements in the base game aswell (Such as the Weapon Master ones... Go from 1000 kills to 5000 kills with a weapon, for... 5 AP... wew... As well as the Slayer achievements, killing 1000 of each enemy type for a handful of AP only...)

tbh, the lw3 achievements were mostly enjoyable or at least not annoying. LW4 was a step down. LW5 is filled with annoying achievements. Having to do a STORY STEP do half a douzend of times to get an achievement is just stupid. Or some event that almost never spawns, depends on other crap and is done so quickly that if you are in a different part of the map you have no chance to get there in time.

Seriously. Anet. Fix your achievements. They have become incredible bad.

@"Taril.8619" said:Yeah, there's a lot of really annoying achievements/collections that are just busywork or require participation in events that spawn infrequently, let alone ones that require doing metas tons of times...

It also shows up with some of the later LW Dailies, where you end up needing to do a bunch of events that don't happen very often (To be honest, this has been going on since LW3... Bloodstone Fen and the Rift events, Siren's Call and the freaking Kingpin's, Domain of Kourna and the Vine Wall events, Races in Sandswept Isles etc.)

It'd be somewhat acceptable if these achievements gave a more impressive reward, but they typically don't. Just the same old 5 AP as any other achievement. Maybe a redundant Mastery Point...

If they gave like a unique skin, an ascended item or something that would make the annoyance you need to put up with to attain them worthwhile. Otherwise, they should reduce the requirements and/or increase the spawn rate of required events (For example, the Daily in Domain of Kourna for the scarab beetle events is fine because those spawn like every minute so it's not a big deal to complete a bunch of them)

But then again, these unfulfilling achievments are nothing particularly new either. There's plenty of grindy and unrewarding achievements in the base game aswell (Such as the Weapon Master ones... Go from 1000 kills to 5000 kills with a weapon, for... 5 AP... wew... As well as the Slayer achievements, killing 1000 of each enemy type for a handful of AP only...)

So much this, yes.

It's not just the waiting or bother of doing the achievements, but aside from some possible grand goal gated behind them, there's not much reason to. The rewards aren't compelling overall, and they do not feel rewarding for the time invested. Achievement design definitely feels it's more about "extend play time" instead of "reasonable number of hours/repetitions to justify reward".

Since this Season of the Living Story, I'm really starting to lose interest for this game – and I'm playing it since Guild Wars Prophecies.

I like to do challenging achievements, not Asia MMO grind achievements. Who the heck enjoys doing event like "Destroy the tents" 10 times, because you have to destroy 15? Or kill 25 tribunes, even if you already finished a achievement for killing each one for the first time. Even simple achievments like "Collect item X" are frustrating, because the item is locked behind frustrating RNG (I did the Meta about 12 times and still did not get the Order dropped by the Iron Tribune, not to mention the weapon drops).

Again: I want to earn points/rewards for overcoming challenges, not for stubborness or beeing blunt. However, if this is the way ArenaNet makes episodes in the future, I don't know if I'm spending my time with the game anymore.