Coming back to Gw2 and having issues

So I decided to come back to Gw2 with the new release after a long break but it feels like all my classes are nerfed. I used to be able to run around and solo stuff on any class with just my exotic gear and now I feel so squishy and barely have DPS? I get an MMO requires groups but does this game now require groups to play and ascended gear just to enjoy it?

What class(es) are you playing, and how long have you been away? There have been a lot of balance changes over the years - most recent was a big one back near the beginning of the year. You may have to take a look at your build to see what you can change.

Soloing stuff in the open world is still very much possible, as it always was. You don't need a group or ascended gear just to survive. Yay for no gear treadmill!

@nobleboivin.4102 said:So I decided to come back to Gw2 with the new release after a long break but it feels like all my classes are nerfed. I used to be able to run around and solo stuff on any class with just my exotic gear and now I feel so squishy and barely have DPS? I get an MMO requires groups but does this game now require groups to play and ascended gear just to enjoy it?

Hi! Welcome back!

As Batel.9206 observes, much has changed and it would be helpful to know which classes you are struggling with and in which content.

Exotic gear is exactly as strong as it was before and is perfectly adequate for all content except fractal progression, due to the agony mechanic requiring resistance you can only slot into ascended/legendary gear. The difference in stats is too small to really notice in solo play. Much more important are the stats you choose on your gear. But without knowing more, I can't make any specific recommendations.

Groups are required for some things, but you might be surprised by what you can do on your own with the right build and some practice! If you'd like some help figuring that out, give us more information about how you like to play and we'll see if we can't come up with something that suits you.

A lot comes down to knowing the enemy/content. If you haven't played a while then you have probably forgotten most of it. Even if you haven't had any break at all the content you play less often probably get forgotten as well. A break just compounds the problem because you are also unfamiliar with the build as well.

Once again a look into the account-details helps. I assume Thief main and played last around LW4? Judging from one of the comments, I fear it is one of those full DPS PvE builds with little to no sustain, which is absolutely lethal in the current LW maps.

Exotic gear is still fine for most of the content. If you find a build you like, take the stat combos and go for the exotic version, you will do FINE. The current new LW maps feature some more difficult NPC's, almost in the style of Heart of Thorns difficulty. High sustain, good damage-output and large HP pools + CC. That means, if you are out there on a squishy class, there is no time to breath. You kill or get killed. Mount up whenever there is a chance to, for the extra HP and lethal-strike protection. If you happen to play Drizzlewood Coast, seeking cover behind trees/houses/rocks/mountains is critical. The snipers are a pain to every class.

However, when you return to the game after a break, it is always helpful to check some of the current meta-builds. If you know your class well, you can easily spot the differences between your build and the build in the guide. This is in my opinion a lot easier than reading all the patch notes that happened during your break. If you are looking for an open world build that works, I found the DD Bounding Staff and Basic Thief from meta-battle quite useful. They seem to be updated.

But I agree with the others, going into the post-history of an account is meh. Just add some more info, please.