Please consider toning down Reaper

Shiyo.3578

This build is far too powerful and currently overperforming in Conquest(and 2v2 but that's ok)

• Too much ranged chill(Focus 5 + staff) OR multiple pulls (gsword 5 + spectral grasp) which makes escaping them extremely difficult when combined with...
  • Perma "superspeed" with speed rune
  • Snare removal anytime you enter shroud, condis removed anytime you exit shroud AND you convert it to life force(Speed of shadows + unholy martyr)
  • Perma quickness in shroud
  • Low CD stability
  • Too much CC. (Staff fear + shroud 3 + executioner's scythe)
  • Low CD stun breaks(Worm + spectral walk even though spectral isn't low cd, worm is)
  • Too much condition removal(spectral walk + consume conditions + unholy martyr) making condition damage classes COMPLETELY ineffective against them.
  • Too much life force generation, reapers are routinely at perma 100% life force nearly all match long even when focused.
  • Too much disengage AND engage. It feels like you can never escape from a reaper, regardless of anything you do the vast majority of the time. If a reaper runs at you, you are probably dead. At the same time, reapers can run from anyone anytime they want with perma "superspeed", spectral walk, worm, and reaper shroud 2.
  • Lich form is too powerful, too much burst.

This builds counter is supposed to be focus, but with 50% DR + 20% DR (Shroud + infusing terror) you are far too tanky. When you get focused, you just tank it while kiting away with perma super speed(Speed runes) and come back with full shroud because you generate too much life force from everything you do, offensively AND defensively. If people don't react instantly you kill them in 2-3s due to perma quickness.

I recommend nerfing speed of shadows to 5 seconds of swiftness instead of 10 to start and perhaps changing reapers onslaught to 3s of quickness when entering shroud and not pulse? No idea about the other things, but overall this class has no weakness at all and is far too powerful due to all the above things at once.

I think reaper should be a strong "team fight" glass cannon you want to support and should annihilate team fights when left alone and supported properly, but right now it's far too strong at too many things and can even 1v1 duelists/1v1ers and consistently win with relative ease. I do not want this over-nerfed, as reaper is a very fun class archetype and should remain playable for people who enjoy it. However, some things need to be toned down a bit.

Here's the build, try it for yourself:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAc2ZlVwsYbMP2JmaXnNdA-z5IeKZKC6VIkwEoiFgdGAIf using staff, take soul marks instead of speed of shadows and use warhorn instead of focus.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Kuma.1503" said:Nerf thread template:

• exaggerated list of pros
  • glance over the class's weaknesses
  • misinformation

check, check, and check.

Please provide examples. This is not a healthy way to have a discussion and is just "xd ur wrong"ing me with no proof.

What's this? I can agree with Lich dealing too much damage on AA, but rest? Reaper is punching bag if you kill wurm before engaging in fight, same goes if you won't get baited with Spectral Walk. Build is made to sustain/deal with condies, why you bring knife to gun fight? Also I don't see any potent self might generation, which kinda makes the damage so-so.This build have only 2 stunbreaks, one which can be denied before even engaging in fight, another can be wasted as a condi cleanse and that's it, Reaper won't Stunbreak from entering shroud same as using Infusing Terror(Stability is like 3s man) and that's the only source of stab in it without counting Elite, which replaces all skills and can be cced within interval between boon application.

I'll just say that LF gen isn't the issue, the size of the LF pool is. As for superspeed if it's an issue, the problem come from speed runes not from the reaper.

It feels like you can never escape from a reaper, regardless of anything you do the vast majority of the time.

Well, the reaper is designed with a movie monster in mind, if you really do feel like that I guess ANet hit the nail then.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

• misinformation

check, check, and check.

Please provide examples. This is not a healthy way to have a discussion and is just "xd ur wrong"ing me with no proof.

like exaggerating that it has too much cc and condi removal or 100% lf nearly all time or mixing different builds as oneu dont mention it has the easiest heal to interrupt which is really all the cleanse reaper has the moment he leaves shroud (and walk on 50 sec)

@Shiyo.3578 said:

• misinformation

check, check, and check.

Misinformation:

Your hypothetical reaper is running multiple builds at once. You listed off a series of bullet points with the intent of illustrating why reaper is too strong, while giving the impression (intentionally or not) that this could all be accomplished with a single build.

Staff reaper does not run speed runes. It runs Lynx. It also does not run speed of shadows, it typically runs soul marks. For this reaper build you can delete several bullet points listed above.

Exaggeration:

Reaper's "low cooldown stability" is locked behind reaper shroud. I suppose there's lich, but I'd hardly call a 150sec cooldown "low CD stability"

Many classes have no issue kiting reaper. I'd hardly call a combination of Staff 5, shroud 2, and a few cleansable slows inescapable.

You can kill wurm, leaving them with Spectral Walk and Shroud 2 as their only forms of mobility. I'd hardly call that out of line compared to the likes of Ranger, Mesmer, Holo, Thief, Rev, ect. Their disengage has counterplay.

Ignoring cons

See above.

This unstoppable behemoth you're advocating nerfs for does not exist.

I think he is mashing up two different builds here, the OG full damage spite one and the sustain Blood one.Reaper will almost always be pub stomper in lower ratings and at best decent at higher. And yes it is probably carried by the 1 1 1 on Lich, but it is still garbage transformation, it will be cool if it was reworked to something that requires to press the rest of the buttons , they should be doing something of course, at least in rampage you use all of your skills.I wonder what exactly is having trouble with Reaper though, pretty sure everyone is running some type of condi bunker or cc speck, or both at the same time.

Since I’m a necromancer main I want to answer this topic. First of all reaper has zero blocks or invuln or any kind of damage mitigation, u have 2 dodge and your kiting ability stop. Counting shroud as your hp you have for sure something like 35k hp which with good focus gets to zero in 2 sec.In 1vs1 you basically lose vs every class and it’s good since you are a team fighter.Regarding to your points I’d say that your a typical low level player who doesn’t know how to play against a reaper. Reaper is over performing at low level simply because people fight to death every single time and can’t focus/cc chain the correct way.Last thing if u nerf reaper you’ll see only core necs and then there will be other topics about core nec being 2 strong gne gne.

Reaper tanky? Permanent 100% life force? Dude what. As other people said, you're clearly merging multiple builds together. Grasp sounds sick when you look at it but then you realize you're giving up a defensive skill, which you can't afford to do as a reaper. GS pull is so unreliable most of the time that I normally dodge it without even noticing it coming. By all means, nerf Lich's autoattack and rework the whole form so a 150sec CD doesn't get hard countered by reflects.

I think the fact that the OP is listing multiple builds is a credit to the diversity the class is running. It's a good sign people are using various methods and skills. It's mainly a problem when you see a class always using the same build. Then you know the community is acknowledging a problem.

The only thing I agree with and don't like is lich auto attacking. Tone it down some. This coming from a reaper main.

@"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:What's this? I can agree with Lich dealing too much damage on AA, but rest? Reaper is punching bag if you kill wurm before engaging in fight, same goes if you won't get baited with Spectral Walk. Build is made to sustain/deal with condies, why you bring knife to gun fight? Also I don't see any potent self might generation, which kinda makes the damage so-so.This build have only 2 stunbreaks, one which can be denied before even engaging in fight, another can be wasted as a condi cleanse and that's it, Reaper won't Stunbreak from entering shroud same as using Infusing Terror(Stability is like 3s man) and that's the only source of stab in it without counting Elite, which replaces all skills and can be cced within interval between boon application.

yes because only might gives damage.ignore 10% dmg after entering/leaving shroud, 10% dmg when being "close" to enemy, 10% to chilled enemies, 600 ferocity in shroud along with extra 33% crit chance and pulsing quickness :)

@"Dhemize.8649" said:I think the fact that the OP is listing multiple builds is a credit to the diversity the class is running. It's a good sign people are using various methods and skills. It's mainly a problem when you see a class always using the same build. Then you know the community is acknowledging a problem.

The only thing I agree with and don't like is lich auto attacking. Tone it down some. This coming from a reaper main.

I will give you opposite side of the coin, the real problem is when a class can make anything work, if you can make core power or condi scourge power or condi and power reaper there is a REALLY good chance that instead of having "good balance" of the specs, the specs are just broken so they can take almost anything and do good on it anyways

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:What's this? I can agree with Lich dealing too much damage on AA, but rest? Reaper is punching bag if you kill wurm before engaging in fight, same goes if you won't get baited with Spectral Walk. Build is made to sustain/deal with condies, why you bring knife to gun fight? Also I don't see any potent self might generation, which kinda makes the damage so-so.This build have only 2 stunbreaks, one which can be denied before even engaging in fight, another can be wasted as a condi cleanse and that's it, Reaper won't Stunbreak from entering shroud same as using Infusing Terror(Stability is like 3s man) and that's the only source of stab in it without counting Elite, which replaces all skills and can be cced within interval between boon application.

yes because only might gives damage.ignore 10% dmg after entering/leaving shroud, 10% dmg when being "close" to enemy, 10% to chilled enemies, 600 ferocity in shroud along with extra 33% crit chance and pulsing quickness :)

Not really outside the scope of the damage modifiers used by other classes though? Conditional or otherwise.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"Dhemize.8649" said:I think the fact that the OP is listing multiple builds is a credit to the diversity the class is running. It's a good sign people are using various methods and skills. It's mainly a problem when you see a class always using the same build. Then you know the community is acknowledging a problem.

I will give you opposite side of the coin, the real problem is when a class can make anything work, if you can make core power or condi scourge power or condi and power reaper there is a REALLY good chance that instead of having "good balance" of the specs, the specs are just broken so they can take almost anything and do good on it anyways

You're going to have to define what you mean by "make things work".

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

Or 2v2 3v3 gives more options to play some classes, you can drop allot of abilities and traits when not facing this and that build. Amazingly enough you can even play Berserker as a dominant pick vs some match ups.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

if you have a class that can make almost if not all specs and ideas work, good chance something is broken.If you can make a good build without minmaxing then minmaxed one will be op

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

if you have a class that can make almost if not all specs and ideas work, good chance something is broken.If you can make a good build without minmaxing then minmaxed one will be op

This still doesn't define what it means to make something work.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

This still doesn't define what it means to make something work.

aight,if you have good player on power core, condi core, condi scourge, power scourge or power reaper they can reach high ranking, pull their weight and be much more viable then almost any other off meta spec. If you try to off meta as some of the other classes it usually ends up being meme worthy.

@"Shiyo.3578" said:Here's the build, try it for yourself:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAc2ZlVwsYbMP2JmaXnNdA-z5IeKZKC6VIkwEoiFgdGAIf using staff, take soul marks instead of speed of shadows and use warhorn instead of focus.This build is not strong. It's average at higher skill levels.

Like most thief or mesmer builds, it's a noob-stomper, because it can easily overwhelm players that have no clue how it works. They feel helpless because they never heard of timed dodging, cleansing, kiting and counterpressuring.