Dear Anet, I love Halloween.. But.

STIHL.2489

I am not asking for much here, but some of us don't have the twitch skill to do the clock tower, and I know.. I know.. I don't want to cheapen the abilities of those that do have the twitch skill, but.. can we make it so that after 100 tries, we get 1 pity completion?

Given some people want to be nasty about it, and you support selling raids and other content, maybe you could sell a completion in the Gem store. I'd be wiling to pay around 20 dollars in gems to get this over with.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Wait. What's the twitch skill? Please tell me what this is. I've beaten it, but if it would make it easier I would actually try to beat it a 2nd time.What is a twitch skill?

I'll take that as a serious question. "Twitch skill" refers to having very fast reflexes, being able to very quickly and accurately do fast-reaction motion and control in games. So OP wasn't saying some people or professions have an in-game skill on their bar that helps, s/he was saying some people are physically better at rapid keyboard/mouse action.

(I am someone without high twitch skill, though happily it is not due to anything but being older).

I wouldn't say this JP needs "twitch" skill. It's a lot of memorizing the route, timing and not letting the acid death pool spoil your concentration (this is the bit I find the hardest). The first 1/3rd is the hardest, then you actually outrun the acid and the next 2/3rds become less frantic. There is no variance that you need to react to, unlike the snowball Skriit in the Wintersday JP, hence my assertion that twitchiness is not required.

If it's any consolation, both this and Wintersday JP took me 50+ attempts before I succeeded. But once done, getting them to farm status was very quick. I love both these JPs now (or maybe it's Stockholm syndrome)

@Donari.5237 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Wait. What's the twitch skill? Please tell me what this is. I've beaten it, but if it would make it easier I would actually try to beat it a 2nd time.What is a twitch skill?

I'll take that as a serious question. "Twitch skill" refers to having very fast reflexes, being able to very quickly and accurately do fast-reaction motion and control in games. So OP wasn't saying some people or professions have an in-game skill on their bar that helps, s/he was saying some people are physically better at rapid keyboard/mouse action.

(I am someone without high twitch skill, though happily it is not due to anything but being older).

Ah. I'm playing with a controller. I would never beat this with keyboard/mouse. My hands would jolt way too much and screw me up.I already screw up a ton with the controller but it would be way worse on mouse.

It's not about reflexes. Remember the path and take it slow and easy, if you start to get too frustrated, take a break with it and try again later. I think I tried this JP over 1 or 2 hours total before I made it during the first year. Now ever year it takes me just a few tries to get the feeling of it and then I can complete it almost every try.

I agree with the people saying the main thing is to learn and remember the path, and to not let the time limit/green death goo panic you. That's the hardest part of timed puzzles (or any timed activity) for me - I panic and try to rush it and then I mess up. You actually have plenty of time to stop and/or make a few corrections along the way, as long as it's not too many.

Worst case scenario you can afford to be waist deep (on a human) in the green goo and you won't die, as long as you get out again before it rises.

Also if you're using your keyboard to turn that will slow you down a lot. Even if you don't use it normally I highly recommend turning on Action Camera for this puzzle - then your character will run/jump in whatever direction you point the camera. You don't need to position them 1st, they will turn instantly to face the way the camera is pointing.

@STIHL.2489 said:I am not asking for much here, but some of us don't have the twitch skill to do the clock tower, and I know.. I know.. I don't want to cheapen the abilities of those that do have the twitch skill, but.. can we make it so that after 100 tries, we get 1 pity completion?

Given some people want to be nasty about it, and you support selling raids and other content, maybe you could sell a completion in the Gem store. I'd be wiling to pay around 20 dollars in gems to get this over with.

If anet were ok i could do it for you for free.Yesterday was pretty a challenge between me and Another player.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Donari.5237 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Wait. What's the twitch skill? Please tell me what this is. I've beaten it, but if it would make it easier I would actually try to beat it a 2nd time.What is a twitch skill?

Ah. I'm playing with a controller. I would never beat this with keyboard/mouse. My hands would jolt way too much and screw me up.I already screw up a ton with the controller but it would be way worse on mouse.

With a controller could really be the real deal.Gonna try once back.

just take your time for it, don't try to do it too fast, you'll end up jumping on the wrong blocks.

if you have to stop at a certain part to turn and carefully jump, do so. Most of the time with the clocktower there is an easy part after a hard part. also with the cog you have to jump on, walk as far as you can since it's one of the trickier ones.

IMO the wintersday jpis more frustrating, because the presents part is tricky with a whole bunch of people there, jumping to early and falling to their deaths, but it still causes the presents to explode and thus you have to wait for them to respawn again.

Clocktower release year is where i learned how to jump, you don't need fast reflexes or memory, you need to be confident enough about your character movement to land where you want to go. I probably took me +30 times first year, but I now have a 3 year streak of completing it first try. Proper jumping is a big part of gw2, don't devaluate that part of the game.

Can ppl pls stop complaining about the difficulty of things in this game???NOTHING in the game is that hard (save from getting god of pvp title).90% of guild wars 2 content is easy and made for casuals, hearts, map events, low level fractals, stories. this jp is something that comes once every year, let the ppl who enjoy the challenge have their enjoyment of the challenge instead of making anet dum down all the content cuz u can't do it. its not fair and unreasonable.

@CharterforGw.3149 said:IMO the wintersday jpis more frustrating, because the presents part is tricky with a whole bunch of people there, jumping to early and falling to their deaths, but it still causes the presents to explode and thus you have to wait for them to respawn again.

I respectfully disagree - in the Wintersday JP you won't fall into green goo if you see too many other players jumping on the presents while you decide to hang back and wait.

@Samnang.1879 said:Can ppl pls stop complaining about the difficulty of things in this game???NOTHING in the game is that hard (save from getting god of pvp title).90% of guild wars 2 content is easy and made for casuals, hearts, map events, low level fractals, stories. this jp is something that comes once every year, let the ppl who enjoy the challenge have their enjoyment of the challenge instead of making anet dum down all the content cuz u can't do it. its not fair and unreasonable.

I think OP was 'complaining' about their own inability and not asking for it too be 'dumbed down'. Rather just wanting a 'different' way to complete it.

Something may be easy for you but that doesn't mean its easy for everyone. Just like how it was easy for me to understand what the OP actually meant. ;)

Some things may be relatively easy for most people but may take time and time is a commodity that many don't have much of. Or as the 'no lifers' put it 'casual'.

I see nothing wrong with OPs "pity completion" request, as long as they actually tried and not just AFKd through the whole instance.

As for "twitch skills", I certainly don't have that. As a 49 year old gamer, with slow, fumbly fingers, I was able to beat this puzzle last night, 4 times in one round in one case. It really is memorization. Humming a tune while running and jumping also helped calm me down and focus on the path.

I'm fine with this. I can't remember how many tries it took me. I don't think I ever would've gotten it if not for watching other people beat it, as I tried to keep up with them. It was one of the best feelings I had when I finally beat it, and now every year I do it still just to help others get up.

However, if someone wants to avoid that high you get when you finally beat it, and you've been trying 100 times. I say, why not give it to you. You're missing one fun feeling when you beat it on your own.

Anyway, after 100 times if you haven't made any real progress, just give them the achievement. My opinion.

@Svarty.8019 said:I try the clocktower ONE time every year. It's still horrible after 5 years.

I tried it five years ago ... Again and again and again and ... I finally opened the final chest up, up, there.Then, i quit GW² ... 'Til now, five years later i'm back, for the same event. It was absolutly not on purpose but here i am, so i've decided to try it again.Really, i saw there's some minor changes since the last time and i really think it's easier, because i don't fall as quickly as i was used to. So i keep the secret hope to succeed for the 2nd time.... And win these stupid boots ! :DI'll wear them five more years, like the last ones XD

@onevstheworld.2419 said:I wouldn't say this JP needs "twitch" skill. It's a lot of memorizing the route, timing and not letting the acid death pool spoil your concentration (this is the bit I find the hardest). The first 1/3rd is the hardest, then you actually outrun the acid and the next 2/3rds become less frantic. There is no variance that you need to react to, unlike the snowball Skriit in the Wintersday JP, hence my assertion that twitchiness is not required.

If it's any consolation, both this and Wintersday JP took me 50+ attempts before I succeeded. But once done, getting them to farm status was very quick. I love both these JPs now (or maybe it's Stockholm syndrome)

Just for background, I'm a person who, when GW2 first came out, I thought some Vistas were JP. No, not the couple that actually are. Anyway, that's my level of skill when it comes to JP. And while I'm sure you are correct about memorization, JP still take a lot of ability to jump and hit the exact spot. It's not like jumping in JP is like bouncing mushrooms that place you exactly where you need to land. So while most JP don't have things actively trying to hit you, that doesn't mean that they aren't without twitch demands.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Donari.5237 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Wait. What's the twitch skill? Please tell me what this is. I've beaten it, but if it would make it easier I would actually try to beat it a 2nd time.What is a twitch skill?

HOW?!

Archived