Why bother designing something nobody will craft? Can anyone explain it to me?

The Frost Legion Infusion.

Ok, so yes some people will, and have, crafted it.But this is just totally out of reach to the vast majority of the player base. Now, I get why rarity is fine for drops like the Chak Infusion and I'm fine with that. But for a crafted item? Seriously, 25,000 shards, 10,250 ecto, 12,500 Thermocatalytic Reagents and 37,500 Sand?

Now, if it's a material sink it still makes no sense to me. If it were 1/10th of the materials, then more than 10x the people would craft it at some point because it's within reach if you actually want it. But right now its over 5000g and that is only likely to go up.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You answered your own question: because some people will craft it.

It would be impossible to make cosmetics which everyone likes and considers worth getting. I've even got skins I picked up for free which I've never used and likely never will, and while they cost me nothing if we go purely by my opinion that means Anet wasted their time making them. But I'm sure there's someone out there somewhere who likes those skins and uses them all the time, and they probably consider some of my favourites to be the trash that's not worth the time or cost to unlock. (Edit: Come to think of it I even know which one that would be: The Dreamer. It's probably my favourite legendary and I've literally been told it's an insult that Anet made it a legendary and "force" players to go through so much for something so stupid. But to me it was worth it.)

Since it's impossible to make things everyone will like there's no need to worry if some people, even large numbers of people, don't consider an item worth making. As long as there's enough options that everyone can find some things they like the system is working. And in an MMO items which can act as long-term goals that give players an incentive to keep logging in once they've done the main content are actually a good thing. Well, as long as it's not things they feel like they have to get whether they want them or not, but as long as it's cosmetics that's unlikely to be a problem.

(Also while it's expensive at least it's not random like most infusions. Which means if you do want it you know what you've got to do to get it and can work out roughly how long it will take. Plus all the components are tradable so you've got the option of gathering them yourself, farming gold and buying them or a mix of the two.)

@Raknar.4735 said:If you think the price is too high for the effect it gives, you are most likely not the target audience.

I don't use any infusions at all, if it were 1g I still wouldn't use it. It just seems baffling that you'd make an item craftable, but only for 0.001% of the players. And Khan-Ur is a drop and there is only a handful in the game. Which is fine.

@Danikat.8537 said:You answered your own question: because some people will craft it.

But that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why go to the effort of designing and coding the infusion, then using it as part of the promotion of the new map, then make it so very few people will actually get it over any timeline? For drops I can understand it, but why on a crafted item?

Even as a long term goal. 99% of players with more than 4000 hours in this game have less than 100g.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:You answered your own question: because some people will craft it.

But that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why go to the effort of designing and coding the infusion, then using it as part of the promotion of the new map, then make it so very few people will actually get it over any timeline? For drops I can understand it, but why on a crafted item?

Even as a long term goal. 99% of players with more than 4000 hours in this game have less than 100g.

I don't think that statistic means much. I'm one of those players (if I remember correctly I have about 70g in my wallet right now) but I can and have bought things which cost much more than that and I'm confident that if I wanted to I could save up the materials or gold to get this infusion too. It would take a long time, but it's not impossible and if it was something I liked it would be worth it to me.

As for why they make it so rare/expensive I suspect it's because a lot of players keep saying this game gives nothing but 'trash loot' and there's no rare or special items which aren't purely from RNG sources so there's nothing they want to aim for. It's impossible to make something which is rare and valuable but also easy and cheap to get, so in order to meet those request for more rare and valuable items Anet has to add something which is, well, valuable.

This item needs to drop at a rate similar to the other infusions. The other infusions need to have a crafting option similar to this. Once all infusions are acquirable via these two options they will finally be in a place they should have been all along. The fact that some infusion's value exceed what the trading post can support shows they aren't implemented in a sensible way.

@thehipone.6812 said:

@"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

Even as a long term goal. 99% of players with more than 4000 hours in this game have less than 100g.Citation?

That statistic is wrong. More like 72.5% of 400h+ players have MORE than 100g (just wallet gold).

Even still, that site still represents a small portion of the player base.

@Solanum.6983 said:Material/Gold Sink while also being a long term goal. Personally I think it's a huge waste to design something for a very small percentage of the population that will actually try to get it but I get why.

The worst part is that they use said infusion in their video to promote their oh so cool new saga episode... selling people something they will never get.Infusions apart, what did this episode give us exactly?! 10 minutes of story and a long and boring meta extension.

It should be a rare drop with a wardobe unlock functionality and a far more realistic guaranteed recipe/acquisition method. All of the infusions in the game should be that way.

People should still have to work toward them in some manner (or get lucky with RNG), but the current implementation is ridiculous in a game where the actual progression is fashion after you hit level 80, especially if they're going to wiggle infusions at people in trailers. These carrots would be a lot more motivational for players if they had a reasonable hope of actually getting them.

Also a good time to bang the pots and pans of 'give us a show/hide player effects' toggle so if infusions do become more reasonable to acquire, people can choose whether they see them or not.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

Even as a long term goal. 99% of players with more than 4000 hours in this game have less than 100g.Citation?

That statistic is wrong. More like 72.5% of 400h+ players have MORE than 100g (just wallet gold).

Even still, that site still represents a small portion of the player base.

Citation?