The Warclaw Needs Some Love ( in PVE ) - [Merged]

Now that the kitty is near to useless in WvW, at least buff it in PVE mode. The Warclaw being the only mount (and a crippled one) in WvW and also the slowest and most useless in PVE, please give the poor cat some love. Make it run a little faster, leap further, jump higher and perhaps give the pitiful never-ending-nerf-bat-beaten kitty some unique skills like the ability to auto-leap over low ledges, rocks and other small obstacles. Only in PVE of course. After all, we are paying the same amount of money for its skin like the rest of the mounts. If you put the cat in PVE mode, give us a reason to want to use it.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The warclaw is indeed pretty slow in WvW now but that's ok imo since it allows people who haven't unlocked it to catch up with groups a bit easier. However it is totally useless in PvE in its current state. All the other land mounts like the raptor, jackal, springer and skimmer are superior to it not only in speed but also in terms of the skills the mounts have.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:The warclaw is indeed pretty slow in WvW now but that's ok imo since it allows people who haven't unlocked it to catch up with groups a bit easier. However it is totally useless in PvE in its current state. All the other land mounts like the raptor, jackal, springer and skimmer are superior to it not only in speed but also in terms of the skills the mounts have.

Exactly my point. Thank you. You got it but the other obviously did not.

It is a WvW mount, it is not made for PvE. Being able to use it in PvE is just a fun side benefit for people who want to show it off or use it for fashion wars. It does not
need
to be good in PvE because it was not
made
for PvE.

Not made for PVE and so it cannot be good or useful in PVE? I see your point.

@Mil.3562 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:The warclaw is indeed pretty slow in WvW now but that's ok imo since it allows people who haven't unlocked it to catch up with groups a bit easier. However it is totally useless in PvE in its current state. All the other land mounts like the raptor, jackal, springer and skimmer are superior to it not only in speed but also in terms of the skills the mounts have.

It is a WvW mount, it is not made for PvE. Being able to use it in PvE is just a fun side benefit for people who want to show it off or use it for fashion wars. It does not
need
made
for PvE.

Not made for PVE and so it can be good in PVE? I see your point.

Not everything has to be useful everywhere. This is just a fact of life. Warclaw has it's uses in WvW. It does not need to be useful everywhere. It is already useful in the place it was intended to be.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

need
made
for PvE.

Edit to add: And if you buff it up to make it rival the PvE mounts you will create a situation where people feel forced to play WvW just to have something because it is felt needed in PvE.

For me I wouldn't have any issue with PvE players having to participate in WvW for some rewards since WvW players also have to play PvE to get some of the rewards. But the warclaw doesn't even need to be better than the other mounts in any way in PvE. Right now it's just not even close to being useful as the other mounts in PvE.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

need
made
for PvE.

Edit to add: And if you buff it up to make it rival the PvE mounts you will create a situation where people feel forced to play WvW just to have something because it is felt needed in PvE.

For me I wouldn't have any issue with PvE players having to participate in WvW for some rewards since WvW players also have to play PvE to get some of the rewards. But the warclaw doesn't even need to be better than the other mounts in any way in PvE. Right now it's just not even close to being useful as the other mounts in PvE.

And it doesn't need to be close. Other than people wanting to ride their big cat all over the place purely because it is a cat, there is no reason it needs to be on par with the PvE mounts. Getting to use it in PvE at all is already just a side benefit of it. There is no real reason that it needs to be useful for more than showing off in PvE.

Wanting the warclaw to be a little better in PvE is not a need it is purely a personal desire. If you wanna ask anet to buff it because you want to ride around on a big cat in PvE without feeling like you are wasting too much time, sure, ask for that. But don't also ask them to code in a bunch of PvE unique abilities for it as well.

And do not present it as if it is something the game needs.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

need
made
for PvE.

And it doesn't need to be close. Other than people wanting to ride their big cat all over the place purely because it is a cat, there is no reason it needs to be on par with the PvE mounts. Getting to use it in PvE at all is already just a side benefit of it. There is no real reason that it needs to be useful for more than showing off in PvE.

I don't think anyone here suggested that the game absolutely needs the warclaw to be better or close to other mounts in PvE. I think the OP's point is that it could use some buffs, but obviously this isn't needed just like the skimmer being able to dive underwater isn't needed.

@Mil.3562 said:Now that the kitty is near to useless in WvW, at least buff it in PVE mode. The Warclaw being the only mount (and a crippled one) in WvW and also the slowest and most useless in PVE, please give the poor cat some love. Make it run a little faster, leap further, jump higher and perhaps give the pitiful never-ending-nerf-bat-beaten kitty some unique skills like the ability to auto-leap over low ledges, rocks and other small obstacles. Only in PVE of course. After all, we are paying the same amount of money for its skin like the rest of the mounts. If you put the cat in PVE mode, give us a reason to want to use it.If they are not going to make it relevant in Drizzlewood, they are not going to buff it in PvE.

The Warclaw is definitely useful in WvW. It moves faster than any player with buffs could, and provides that speed to allies with the upgrades. It's sniff ability is great for detecting hidden enemies (though I believe it's only visible to the person who used the skill.) You can dismount enemy players to make it easier to hunt them down (which sucks to be on the receiving end of but I'm sure it's fun otherwise), and pulling on gates is just fun in my opinion. I don't see how any of that could translate into PvE, save sharing speed buffs, but most players would be on the faster mounts anyway, unless you're playing with free accounts. What skills do you exactly want the Warclaw to have in PvE? Long jumps? Raptor. Lots of quick jumps? Jackal, though it's close enough anyway. All mounts have a niche they fill, and the Warclaw's is in WvW.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Mil.3562 said:Now that the kitty is near to useless in WvW, at least buff it in PVE mode. The Warclaw being the only mount (and a crippled one) in WvW and also the slowest and most useless in PVE, please give the poor cat some love. Make it run a little faster, leap further, jump higher and perhaps give the pitiful never-ending-nerf-bat-beaten kitty some unique skills like the ability to auto-leap over low ledges, rocks and other small obstacles. Only in PVE of course. After all, we are paying the same amount of money for its skin like the rest of the mounts. If you put the cat in PVE mode, give us a reason to want to use it.If they are not going to make it relevant in Drizzlewood, they are not going to buff it in PvE.

Would be good if it was made useful in Drizzlewood since the map is based on WvW. Maybe they can do a lot of damage to gates so that siege weapons to take down the gates aren't the only option. Or it could do bonus damage to enemies on the map. But then again people might cry that they have to go to WvW to unlock the mount.

@Kiasalfrus.1974 said:The Warclaw is definitely useful in WvW. It moves faster than any player with buffs could, and provides that speed to allies with the upgrades. It's sniff ability is great for detecting hidden enemies (though I believe it's only visible to the person who used the skill.) You can dismount enemy players to make it easier to hunt them down (which sucks to be on the receiving end of but I'm sure it's fun otherwise), and pulling on gates is just fun in my opinion. I don't see how any of that could translate into PvE, save sharing speed buffs, but most players would be on the faster mounts anyway, unless you're playing with free accounts. What skills do you exactly want the Warclaw to have in PvE? Long jumps? Raptor. Lots of quick jumps? Jackal, though it's close enough anyway. All mounts have a niche they fill, and the Warclaw's is in WvW.

It could be made useful in Drizzlewood. The attack and dismount skill it has could also be improved. I imagine that Anet wouldn't struggle to come up with ideas for improving mounts since they recently added stealth to mounts and underwater diving to the skimmer.

It could be made useful in Drizzlewood. The attack and dismount skill it has could also be improved. I imagine that Anet wouldn't struggle to come up with ideas for improving mounts since they recently added stealth to mounts and underwater diving to the skimmer.Drizzlewood is one map out of how many that's only unlocked through playing the game at the time of release, or buying the episode/s in the future. Some players may not even access it at all. Unless they intend on making more content like this in the future, especially in something like an expansion, I don't see why they would bother. Using stealth while mounting and underwater diving would have a lot of uses, especially given the deep sea dragon somewhere in the future, but again, there's not a whole lot of room for a warclaw in PvE.

@Atomos.7593 said:Would be good if it was made useful in Drizzlewood since the map is based on WvW. Maybe they can do a lot of damage to gates so that siege weapons to take down the gates aren't the only option. Or it could do bonus damage to enemies on the map. But then again people might cry that they have to go to WvW to unlock the mount.Sure it would.The gate pull skill could have been put to immediate use in Drizzlewood, where players have an abundance of supply, as opposed to wvw where it is seen as a waste.

But instead they gave us gates that can be hopped over with a Springer or Skyscale and don't react to the Warclaw pull at all.

@Kiasalfrus.1974 said:

It could be made useful in Drizzlewood. The attack and dismount skill it has could also be improved. I imagine that Anet wouldn't struggle to come up with ideas for improving mounts since they recently added stealth to mounts and underwater diving to the skimmer.Drizzlewood is
one
map out of how many that's only unlocked through playing the game at the time of release, or buying the episode/s in the future. Some players may not even access it at all. Unless they intend on making more content like this in the future, especially in something like an expansion, I don't see why they would bother. Using stealth while mounting and underwater diving would have a lot of uses, especially given the deep sea dragon somewhere in the future, but again, there's not a whole lot of room for a warclaw in PvE.

There are many other ways it could be made useful in other maps and possibly all maps. Some creative imagination would help here. The OP also suggested that it could jump over small objects in the open world automatically which would help a little in travelling in maps quickly.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:Would be good if it was made useful in Drizzlewood since the map is based on WvW. Maybe they can do a lot of damage to gates so that siege weapons to take down the gates aren't the only option. Or it could do bonus damage to enemies on the map. But then again people might cry that they have to go to WvW to unlock the mount.Sure it would.The gate pull skill could have been put to immediate use in Drizzlewood, where players have an abundance of supply, as opposed to wvw where it is seen as a waste.

But instead they gave us gates that can be hopped over with a Springer or Skyscale and don't react to the Warclaw pull at all.

Yeah I don't think many even bother trying to do capture events anymore, since the gates can just be ignored for the story. Every time I go to the map it's all red.

Warclaw's chain pull skill can be implemented into PvE as 3s duration breakbar skill, with overall breakbar CC effect slightly bigger than springer jumpSo in open world players have choice of instant CC with springer then goes into DPS or uses a longer but overall more breakbar damage from warclawIt won't make Warclaw superior given Springer still have high jumps, but it'll provide more options with it being jack of all trades with short dash and CC

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@"Kiasalfrus.1974" said:The Warclaw is definitely useful in WvW. It moves faster than any player with buffs could, and provides that speed to allies with the upgrades. It's sniff ability is great for detecting hidden enemies (though I believe it's only visible to the person who used the skill.) You can dismount enemy players to make it easier to hunt them down (which sucks to be on the receiving end of but I'm sure it's fun otherwise), and pulling on gates is just fun in my opinion. I don't see how any of that could translate into PvE, save sharing speed buffs, but most players would be on the faster mounts anyway, unless you're playing with free accounts. What skills do you exactly want the Warclaw to have in PvE? Long jumps? Raptor. Lots of quick jumps? Jackal, though it's close enough anyway. All mounts have a niche they fill, and the Warclaw's is in WvW.

The jump is already a functional clone of the raptor jump it just doesn't go even half the distance making it obsolete in comparison

Making it go the same distance would have no impact on mount """balance"""" (skyscale already threw that in the trash anyway) and would present more cosmetic variety which is good for the player experience and good for Anet's wallet

There's no possible argument against making it better other than mindless platitudes about how it wasn't "meant for pve" which seems especially silly now that Anet forces pve only players to gamble against getting one of it's skins with mount licenses now

Imagine being a dyed in the wool carebear, dropping $5 on a lottery box, and getting a warclaw skin

There is no reason for it to be made better other than people want to ride around on a pretty cat instead of the mount they have that works perfectly well already. There is no need for it to be better. If people want anet to increase the speed so they feel better using it in PvE then sure, it isn't needed but it is just changing some values already coded into the game. But, imo, it would be an bad use of dev time to code unique PvE abilities for it.

And gambling is gambling, there is always a chance at getting a skin or item you will never use. That is literally the function of a gamble.

I disagree. All of the mounts have made PvE much more fun for me, so I think it would be good for the devs to improve these rather than spending time implementing other things like new skins or items in lootboxes.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Kiasalfrus.1974" said:The Warclaw is definitely useful in WvW. It moves faster than any player with buffs could, and provides that speed to allies with the upgrades. It's sniff ability is great for detecting hidden enemies (though I believe it's only visible to the person who used the skill.) You can dismount enemy players to make it easier to hunt them down (which sucks to be on the receiving end of but I'm sure it's fun otherwise), and pulling on gates is just fun in my opinion. I don't see how any of that could translate into PvE, save sharing speed buffs, but most players would be on the faster mounts anyway, unless you're playing with free accounts. What skills do you exactly want the Warclaw to have in PvE? Long jumps? Raptor. Lots of quick jumps? Jackal, though it's close enough anyway. All mounts have a niche they fill, and the Warclaw's is in WvW.

The jump is already a functional clone of the raptor jump it just doesn't go even half the distance making it obsolete in comparison

Making it go the same distance would have no impact on mount """balance"""" (skyscale already threw that in the trash anyway) and would present more cosmetic variety which is good for the player experience and good for Anet's wallet

There's no possible argument against making it better other than mindless platitudes about how it wasn't "meant for pve" which seems especially silly now that Anet forces pve only players to gamble against getting one of it's skins with mount licenses now

Imagine being a dyed in the wool carebear, dropping $5 on a lottery box, and getting a warclaw skin

Sure there is a pretty kitten good one, here:One item which sees regular scrutiny and complaints for being only available via WvW, the Gift of Battle, is enough. No reason to add an optional mount on top.

A second one would be that any future changes to the mount, and this mount has seen multiple changes in a rather short amount of time compared to other mounts, is easier if the mounts main purpose remains WvW.

There, two pretty good arguments to not change the intended role of the Warclaw. By not making more players feel as though they need to get it and keeping the ability to change the mount easier. As is, wanting the Warclaw better in PvE is just that: a desire and no necessity.

Changes for the mount in WvW could be kept to WvW only (we already have specific player skills being different in WvW only). This desire to have to have everything in the game seems really weird to me. I'm glad that I'm not like that. I keep seeing people repeat it's a desire and not a necessity. Of course it is - I don't think anybody has said it's a necessity so far.

@Atomos.7593 said:

There is no reason for it to be made better other than people want to ride around on a pretty cat instead of the mount they have that works perfectly well already. There is no need for it to be better. If people want anet to increase the speed so they feel better using it in PvE then sure, it isn't needed but it is just changing some values already coded into the game. But, imo, it would be an bad use of dev time to code unique PvE abilities for it.

And gambling is gambling, there is always a chance at getting a skin or item you will never use. That is literally the function of a gamble.

I disagree. All of the mounts have made PvE much more fun for me, so I think it would be good for the devs to improve these rather than spending time implementing other things like new skins or items in lootboxes.

You are assuming that it is the same devs doing coding for in-game mechanics as making the models and textures for skins.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

You are assuming that it is the same devs doing coding for in-game mechanics as making the models and textures for skins.

I'm pretty sure there is coding also involved in order to make skins properly visible in game and adjust the lootbox drop rates.

@Atomos.7593 said:

I'm pretty sure there is coding also involved in order to make skins properly visible in game and adjust the lootbox drop rates.

That is like saying that costume designers in movies are also the people who make the CGI effects.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

That is like saying that costume designers in movies are also the people who make the CGI effects.

No, you are assuming that the people doing coding for skins are unable to do coding for in-game mechanics. Lots of programmers are able to be involved in different aspects of coding for the game. Especially with the GW2 team being so small now, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a couple of people involved in coding in lots of areas. Programming is not restricted to one aspect of a game.

@Atomos.7593 said:

No, you are assuming that the people doing coding for skins are unable to do coding for in-game mechanics. Lots of programmers are able to be involved in different aspects of coding for the game. Especially with the GW2 team being so small now, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a couple of people involved in coding in lots of areas. Programming is not restricted to one aspect of a game.

Yeah, it is possible, but you should never just assume that whoever made the latest skin is also a programmer.And adding a new skin to the game is not nearly as intensive as designing and programming a brand new mechanic for the game.Making a raptor jump or a skyscale fly is in no way comparable to implementing a new helmet skin.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

Yeah, it is possible, but you should never just assume that whoever made the latest skin is also a programmer.And adding a new skin to the game is not nearly as intensive as designing and programming a brand new mechanic for the game.Making a raptor jump or a skyscale fly is in no way comparable to implementing a new helmet skin.

There is definitely a programmer involved in order to add the textures and models to the game for each skin. Independently some of the skins may not require much coding, but adding lots of skins over time and adjusting lootbox drop rates constantly will involve a lot of time and work. Of course this time and work is probably rewarded with lots of income for little effort, but that's a different issue.