Does ping affect FPS?

Hello, as you have read in the title, thats my question.My PC isn't too good, actually: i3, 4gb RAM and Intel HD graphics 520 (an integrated, but decent)The thing is that I sometimes get aprox 30-40 FPS in open world, without any freeze; but sometimes I get 20 FPS aprox, with a lot of freezes.In PvP I usually get better FPS, probably due to less map to charge (I get aprox 45-55 FPS). In those unofficial sPvP I almost always get 60 FPS.So, considering this variations: can this lag be caused by ping and not by my PC? (I'd hope so!)Thanks!

@"gisito fiestero.2815" said:PD: my wifi connection also varies everyday; sometimes I get fast responses, and sometimes I have to watch videos in 144p in windowed and staying in the comment section to make the video continue loading

Did you try to play/watch youtube without router? You can contact your ISP if it's their fault.There is a programm which can help you to detect when you lose packets.https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr/You can run it while playing for at least 30 minutes to see where is a problem.

As for ping, what exactly? 100ms, 200ms?I'm not sure ping will affect FPS much, more like you will get slide show, your character will stuck for a few seconds, mb you will get camera stutters effects. If you have some lags in meta maps with many people it's ok sadly. GW2 is heavily CPU dependen.

You can find many topics about fps optimization with ingame settings.Most important try to setCharacter Model limit to LowestCharacter character model quality to Low/MediumShadows to LowReflections to Terrarian and Sky/NonePostprocessing to NoneRender Sampling to Native

A few videos about FPS optimization

@ruikarikun.9402 said:

@"gisito fiestero.2815" said:PD: my wifi connection also varies everyday; sometimes I get fast responses, and sometimes I have to watch videos in 144p in windowed and staying in the comment section to make the video continue loading

Did you try to play/watch youtube without router? You can contact your ISP if it's their fault.There is a programm which can help you to detect when you lose packets.
You can run it while playing for at least 30 minutes to see where is a problem.

As for ping, what exactly? 100ms, 200ms?I'm not sure ping will affect FPS much, more like you will get slide show, your character will stuck for a few seconds, mb you will get camera stutters effects. If you have some lags in meta maps with many people it's ok sadly. GW2 is heavily CPU dependen.

You can find many topics about fps optimization with ingame settings.Most important try to setCharacter Model limit to LowestCharacter character model quality to Low/MediumShadows to LowReflections to Terrarian and Sky/NonePostprocessing to NoneRender Sampling to Native

A few videos about FPS optimization

Hi, thanks for the reply! Actually, I have all settings to lowest except for render sampling (have it on native).My best ping be rounding 200, but sometimes can get 300, 400 or worse. Anet has launched an update an hour ago aprox, and I don't know but I didn't experience lag. Most of the time I was playing in a sPvP arena, so obviously my FPS would be 50-60, but the little I was on normal map, everything was OK.Maybe is Anet issues, not my ping.

Usually around 200ms on a good day here, I mainly notice fps loss when I get a packet spike, like server crunching then sending large bunch of data and client-side tries to render the extra data, lags hard then quickly catches up. Most noticeable in Wvw when big groups are engaging or I get bombed and cc'd to death before my signal catches up.

@gisito fiestero.2815 said:Hi, thanks for the reply! Actually, I have all settings to lowest except for render sampling (have it on native).My best ping be rounding 200, but sometimes can get 300, 400 or worse. Anet has launched an update an hour ago aprox, and I don't know but I didn't experience lag. Most of the time I was playing in a sPvP arena, so obviously my FPS would be 50-60, but the little I was on normal map, everything was OK.Maybe is Anet issues, not my ping.300 and 400 is too much, 200 is so so. Looks like ping issue, make sure it's not wifi or your ISP.

@"gisito fiestero.2815" said:Hello, as you have read in the title, thats my question.My PC isn't too good, actually: i3, 4gb RAM and Intel HD graphics 520 (an integrated, but decent)The thing is that I sometimes get aprox 30-40 FPS in open world, without any freeze; but sometimes I get 20 FPS aprox, with a lot of freezes.In PvP I usually get better FPS, probably due to less map to charge (I get aprox 45-55 FPS). In those unofficial sPvP I almost always get 60 FPS.So, considering this variations: can this lag be caused by ping and not by my PC? (I'd hope so!)Thanks!

No.

The variation in FPS is normal and depends on what is being rendered, every area is going to be different, even looking in a different direction will change FPS. sPvP should see the best FPS as the maps are small with limited players and effects, open world and WvW are going to be more demanding on the system.

You can have a server crash, where the game loses connection in full to the server in WvW under large fights, and FPS does not change, however you will notice people are just running in straight lines, going into walls, or off cliffs etc etc because no new data from the server is being received.

You have 4GB of system ram, which is very little considering you don't have a dedicated GPU, meaning the integrated GPU is going to be using part of that ram, that is already very low for the system and game, but now part is being used as vram, which is slower than normal vram and is probably paging out from time to time on larger maps, having to load in new textures etc causing random "freezes" in game play.

Hello you all!Thanks for replying. So, apparently ping doesn't really affect the FPS.I wanted to tell you that today and yesterday's night I had a really smooth experience. FPS were incredible (rounding 40 with 0 freezes), and I played in both core and PoF maps.Truly, this is a mystery. I can't tell why all this FPS variation from day to day.And, if someone is wondering, I have 512 VRAM, which can run the game well.Thanks again, and good luck!