What weapons would you give to Guardian?

Makion.3457

I can get behind the idea of Spear as either a one or two handed weapon along with the off hand sword , torch as a main I'm mixed on.On the shield I'm not being critical but I've seen a couple people bring up the idea of having a shield in your main hand so as to allow dual wielding shields, while I have always personally thought that this was both a really silly idea and utterly ineffective as a method of combat I looked into it and found that they only possible real world example of it ( please note this is only speculation by historians without any real historical documentation of battles where it was used) is in use as a "Roman Testudo" or Roman Tortoise which is used solely to allow troops to have cover to move forward against archers etc and not for actual person to person combat.

@"RUNICBLACK.7630" said:I can get behind the idea of Spear as either a one or two handed weapon along with the off hand sword , torch as a main I'm mixed on.On the shield I'm not being critical but I've seen a couple people bring up the idea of having a shield in your main hand so as to allow dual wielding shields, while I have always personally thought that this was both a really silly idea and utterly ineffective as a method of combat I looked into it and found that they only possible real world example of it ( please note this is only speculation by historians without any real historical documentation of battles where it was used) is in use as a "Roman Testudo" or Roman Tortoise which is used solely to allow troops to have cover to move forward against archers etc and not for actual person to person combat.

You probably need to play through Dark Souls 2 and summon Sell"sword" Luet to understand the grand silliness of dual-wielding shields.GW2 has enough silly weapons to justify "main" hand Shields.

@"Fueki.4753" said:"off" hand Sword"main" hand Shieldtwo-handed Spear"main" hand TorchHalberd

just to name a few

I highly doubt that they are going to hand out any of the offhand weapons to the mainhand, so I doubt that mainhand shield and torch are even on the table.

Personally, I would give guardian an offhand sword.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:"off" hand Sword"main" hand Shieldtwo-handed Spear"main" hand TorchHalberd

just to name a few

I highly doubt that they are going to hand out any of the offhand weapons to the mainhand, so I doubt that mainhand shield and torch are even on the table.

Personally, I would give guardian an offhand sword.

I too think off hand sword would be cool. Duel swords, with off hand focus on single target damage, and utilities focused on mobility, would be what guardian is missing.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"RUNICBLACK.7630" said:I can get behind the idea of Spear as either a one or two handed weapon along with the off hand sword , torch as a main I'm mixed on.On the shield I'm not being critical but I've seen a couple people bring up the idea of having a shield in your main hand so as to allow dual wielding shields, while I have always personally thought that this was both a really silly idea and utterly ineffective as a method of combat I looked into it and found that they only possible real world example of it ( please note this is only speculation by historians without any real historical documentation of battles where it was used) is in use as a "Roman Testudo" or Roman Tortoise which is used solely to allow troops to have cover to move forward against archers etc and not for actual person to person combat.

You probably need to play through Dark Souls 2 and summon Sell"sword" Luet to understand the grand silliness of dual-wielding shields.GW2 has enough silly weapons to justify "main" hand Shields.

Silly weapon skins is one thing, an entire silly weapon category with skills and animations and so on is something entirely different.

Personally, at this stage, I'd like to get hold of some of Almorra's kit, and that means an offhand sword.

@draxynnic.3719 said:Personally, at this stage, I'd like to get hold of some of Almorra's kit, and that means an offhand sword.

I suspect that we will be getting her off hand sword, because if you remember alot of the new elites were hinted at and even sometimes shown (at least a beta version) in content before the expac was released(note that this didn't have prefect track record but it wasn't terribly inaccurate).

Land Trident.

I dunno why but the idea of a Dark themed Guardian.. running about on land stabbing people with a Trident would be pretty awesome.A Dark Knight or Blackguard.

Could have 1-2 ranged skills as wellOne where you throw it at a target to immob them or something.The other being some kind of magical skill like a new AoE Symbol skill.. an ironic choice would be Symbol of Darkness since it would be a direct counter to the Tridents underwater Symbol skill, Symbol of Light.Symbol of Pain would also be another candidate for the name.

A cool feature would be that when you adopt this elite spec all your other symbol skills get corrupted/upgraded into darker versions.Your Virtues also change completely and become Sins that strenthen your bond to your new dark patrons and all your nice blue Guardian skill icons get darker washed out forms but for the most part function the same.New utilities could be some form of limited time summon.. demons perhaps, or Corruption or Hex skills.

That's the first thing that came to my mind anyway.

@RUNICBLACK.7630 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:Personally, at this stage, I'd like to get hold of some of Almorra's kit, and that means an offhand sword.

I suspect that we will be getting her off hand sword, because if you remember alot of the new elites were hinted at and even sometimes shown (at least a beta version) in content before the expac was released(note that this didn't have prefect track record but it wasn't terribly inaccurate).

I think it's more that NPCs using weapons that weren't normal for their profession came up before the elite spec was released... but yeah. There's a reason people jumped on Almorra using an offhand sword.

(Although Kasmeer dropping Time Warp like it was going out of fashion in season 2 might also have been a chronomancer hint...)

@draxynnic.3719 said:

I think it's more that NPCs using weapons that weren't normal for their profession came up before the elite spec was released... but yeah. There's a reason people jumped on Almorra using an offhand sword.

(Although Kasmeer dropping Time Warp like it was going out of fashion in season 2 might also have been a chronomancer hint...)

Also the reason that some warrior players are preemptively making H.O.P.E. since they've seen heavy armor NPCs with dual pistols, and they weren't the casty kind of NPCs either.

Also, Braham used LB before HoT, foreshadowing DH. I still would not put too much faith in foreshadowing.

It is more of practicality and aesthetics. Guardian is Not likely to use guns, so no pistol or Rifle. Last two weapons where MH, so OH is more probable. Guardian has access to all dual handed weapons except SB. SB tenDS to be condi. FB was condi/support. Does not seem likely. I do not expect guardian to get dagger as MH or OH, due to dagger being stabby is not “Nobel.” This leaves sword and warhorn as off hands. I do not expect next elite to be support, since core guardian provides support and FB has dedicated support options. Warhorn is not likely. This leaves only OH sword.

I would Take all this with a grain of salt. Just my poor guess :p

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Also the reason that some warrior players are preemptively making H.O.P.E. since they've seen heavy armor NPCs with dual pistols, and they weren't the casty kind of NPCs either.

Huh. I'd missed that, although it's worth noting that back in the day Rytlock used sword and pistol in dungeons. Mind you, the line between warrior and engineer often gets blurred when it comes to NPCs (which... might also possibly be an indication of what might be coming, I guess?)

@draxynnic.3719 said:

Huh. I'd missed that, although it's worth noting that back in the day Rytlock used sword and pistol in dungeons. Mind you, the line between warrior and engineer often gets blurred when it comes to NPCs (which... might also possibly be an indication of what might be coming, I guess?)

Well, Charr do have a racial pistol skill...

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Well, Charr do have a racial pistol skill...

Sure, but it's just one shot every fifteen seconds or so, while if I recall correctly, Rytlock basically used his pistol like it was warrior rifle. They probably just animated him with sword/pistol to replicate a warrior swapping between sword and rifle without having to actually program him to weaponswap.

In video games dual-wielding shields is common on full support healers who don't attack directly. That said, I think its a poor choice on Guardian and would be much more suited to the Engineer, as Guard is more DPS-focused.

I imagine Guard would get Off-Warhorn.

I am scepter/torch + GS dragonhunter. Scepter is good medium range, its slow to hit but when it does connect you need to get the rotation support on point to make it work. So skills wise (skill key 1-5) SK2+1 should be standard attack. SK2+ torch SK5 when under might does a ton of damage. Its about stringing the combos together. In my build a single scepter sk1 hits for 6xx. First rotation is about skills 7/8/9 with scepter SK2 and then GS sk4+2 cleaning bolt under might. Key thing is making sure you have a multiplier cast before a hit skills to increase the dps + making sure, for my build, might is stacking constantly.Weapons. I used scepter/shield for the longest time with full berserker armour/weapon/trinkets build. Went full mara + half trinkets with high toughness/vital.Using shield means you giving up a ton of dps, only thing stronger than torch skill 5 is GS under might in combos. With exotic mara armour, 18k vit/5xx toughnes. Sigils are set to impact + strenght sigils. Armour is strength runes. Build sits on 50% crit, usually use very cheap food buff to increase percision + power but only for strike missions or meta runs. I know the sword/torch + GS is easily the most dps weapons setup but I need range and CC not just CC.