Can you add PvP aspects in the open world in the new expansion ?

Please make players being able to join/swap between the Kurzick - Luxon factions when Cantha comes and enable them to fight in some PvE zones with the opposite faction... it will be hilarious and will make the game feel more alive with a bit of drama. Of course make it as non-toxic as possible so players won't suffer. My ideas to make this work are:

1. Making some rules like if two players are in same faction you stay friendly(green name) to one another and if you are from a different faction you stay neutral(yellow name). If a player starts a fight he gets negative karma effect for minutes/hours and is displayed aggressive(red name) and can be killed by both factions.

2. Being able to duel much like in WoW by popping a battle flag on the ground and starting the fight when the challenged accepts the duel.

3. Adding an option to activate battle mode on and off like a switch like the tonics novelties when they enter battle mode to fight with other players with tonics ImgurImgur.

I'm veteran player with 38k AP. I've played all the content that the game has offered so far and I have the feeling that there's something missing in it. I think that there must be a stepping stone between PvE , PvP and WvW. Some places that all the game modes can intertwine with eachother and players who are fan of one mode can experience all of them at once in a familiar for them non-toxic environment. I see a lot of people missing on some content because they are just fan of one mode, let's show them the others.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna get a lot of the usual responses to this idea, but no thank you. GW2 seems primarily like a story-telling game with PvP elements relegated to opt-in game modes. PvP has been and likely should remain an optional, additional choice for players.

The best way to reduce toxicity is to keep it out of the drinking water completely.

I remember seeing quotes from the developers that they actually experimented with adding some form of open-world PvP but it's not possible because of the way the game identifies allies and enemies - either you're allied to everyone on the map or an enemy to everyone. PvP maps get around that by assigning you to a team when you enter the map, but there's no way to change it once you're already in one. Maybe someone will be able to find the actual quote?

Also, on a more minor point while I'm not totally against the idea of opt-in PvP on PvE maps, where only people who choose to participate are affected, I'd ideally like them to restrict the areas where it can happen. It's really annoying in Elder Scrolls Online when some players seem to insist on duelling in the most crowded areas they can find or right on top of something they know a lot of players will want access to like a wayshrine or quest NPC. I'm not sure if they just don't think about it at all or if they're that desperate for an audience that they want to make sure players who don't care can't avoid seeing them but either way it's incredibly annoying and something I'd very much like to avoid.

My personal preference would be to use the existing arenas, like the fighting pit in Gendarran Fields or the Butcher's Yard in Diessa Plateau, where NPCs go to fight each other and players sometimes join in during the personal story. Make those into PvP arenas so anyone who wants to fight other players using PvE skills or in smaller groups than PvP allows can go there and fight, without getting in the way of town services, events and other stuff.

Oh cool! It's this thread again...can we somehow link this with fishing, player housing and Moas as a playble race? For example you gank...sorry I meant to say fight an unsuspecting player while he/she is harvesting some flowers you could get a decoration for your home instance. Or maybe, when you jump someone who's having trouble with an elite mob you get a nice fishing rod. A great idea whenever it pops up(twice a month). 12/10

Guild Halls already have limited areas that have enabled PvP and the SPvP HotM Arena is a limited area where pvp is enabled. So the code exists to have both free for all and team based assignments that are activated or automatic based on being on the map. The big issue is actually the rule set because PvE maps use PvE balancing. There is no such thing as mixed balancing. The solution would be to create mini instances accessed from the PvE map that instead enable WvW balancing.

As for the question of “why” I think it depends on what kind of content it is. WvW is basically a limited mass PvP zone in that your links limit who you can play with. This is very different from PvE and sPvP where you have some ability to control who you play with (less so in Ranked but still can duo with anyone).

What’s missing, however, isn’t an entire PvE map with PvP enabled. It’s a PvP element on a PvE map where anyone can participate, if they want. Think similar to Races where people sign up periodically to compete against one another. Each “Battle” could be a free for all contest with different objectives.

• Mayhem (get the most kills).
  • Greed (Capture the most dolyak trophies)
  • Prowess (impress the crowd the most—using the impressive moments mechanic from Icebrood).
  • Champion (multi-stage 1v1 tournament for 8 players, in 3 minute rounds)

Then you could have the results announced like races once the instance is complete. That might require a bit of coding work (to get a cross map event flag) but it should be possible from a technical standpoint (flag everyone who comes out of the instance with a rank based flag similar to races).

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Please make players being able to join/swap between the Kurzick - Luxon factions when Cantha comes and enable them to fight in some PvE zones with the opposite faction... it will be hilarious and will make the game feel more alive with a bit of drama. Of course make it as non-toxic as possible so players won't suffer. My ideas to make this work are:

1. Making some rules like if two players are in same faction you stay friendly(green name) to one another and if you are from a different faction you stay neutral(yellow name). If a player starts a fight he gets negative karma effect for minutes/hours and is displayed aggressive(red name) and can be killed by both factions.

2. Being able to duel much like in WoW by popping a battle flag on the ground and starting the fight when the challenged accepts the duel.

3. Adding an option to activate battle mode on and off like a switch like the tonics novelties when they enter battle mode to fight with other players with tonics ImgurImgur.

I'm veteran player with 38k AP. I've played all the content that the game has offered so far and I have the feeling that there's something missing in it. I think that there must be a stepping stone between PvE , PvP and WvW. Some places that all the game modes can intertwine with eachother and players who are fan of one mode can experience all of them at once in a familiar for them non-toxic environment. I see a lot of people missing on some content because they are just fan of one mode, let's show them the others.

All i can ask is why are you people so obsessed with this? Why? Please, give at least a little sense in your explanation on why this would be a good idea. I'm curious on how you can explain this. After all, i already know what PvP is and i want no part in it. You don't need to show me anything.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Of course make it as non-toxic as possible so players won't suffer.

Okay.

How to make it as non-toxic as possible:

1) Don't put it into a PvE environment, where players are using PvE tuned skills, PvE equipment and PvE runes and sigils. Instead, use a PvP environment, with PvP tuned skills, PvP equipment and PvP runes and sigils.2) Make it optional, accessed by some sort of lobby. So only players whom are wanting to engage in PvP can fight other players whom are also wanting to engage in PvP.3) Allow everyone who participates to have equal opportunities to obtain the gear, runes and sigils they want to use, say by having vendors that sell everything for cheap but with items that have no practical use in PvE.

Oh wait...

We already got one, just fail the Drakkar event.

But realistically, I don't think many people want this. I wouldn't necessarily mind it if it was only in certain areas, but I'd prefer they focus on something else more people would be likely to use. The last thing I want though is randomly being killed by someone in open world while I'm just trying to gather, being spammed with duel invites, or people doing it in heavy traffic areas. The people that already spam skills or instruments near banks and TPs for no good reason are already bad enough, please don't enable that even more.

I'm returning to this game after being absent for 6 years and it baffles me that dueling and open world pvp are still a point of contention.

I'm guess i shouldn't be surprised. Some people simply cannot separate pvp and toxicity. They just think they're the same thing.

This could be a consequence of spvp being it's own game. PvE players are so isolated from the pvp community that they assume everyone is toxic.

@Scrambles.2604 said:I'm returning to this game after being absent for 6 years and it baffles me that dueling and open world pvp are still a point of contention.

I'm guess i shouldn't be surprised. Some people simply cannot separate pvp and toxicity. They just think they're the same thing.

This could be a consequence of spvp being it's own game. PvE players are so isolated from the pvp community that they assume everyone is toxic.

Or, it could be based on experience in other games that have open world PvP. I know that is true for me. I hated it elsewhere and am glad that GW2 has it's own mode for it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Scrambles.2604 said:I'm returning to this game after being absent for 6 years and it baffles me that dueling and open world pvp are still a point of contention.

Or, it could be based on experience in other games that have open world PvP. I know that is true for me. I hated it elsewhere and am glad that GW2 has it's own mode for it.

Same here. Also played gw2 pvp enough to know it has plenty of toxicity. Not as bad as many other games but it still has plenty of negativity.

@"Scrambles.2604" said:I'm returning to this game after being absent for 6 years and it baffles me that dueling and open world pvp are still a point of contention.

Duelling in open world areas, is often annoying. With people spamming duels on people for kicks and giggles.

Sure, it can also work out fine, but in those situations, there's usually specific places where people gather and want to duel (For example, outside of Orgrimmar in WoW you'll find bunches of duelists challenging each other). In which case, there's literally nothing to gain from doing something other than adding in a dueling lobby so likeminded people can challenge each other there.

Open World PvP, in the sense of "Everyone is a target" in literally all games that have it, is 99.99% griefing. Killing undergeared/underprepared players, targetting people whom are doing other tasks (Such as gathering or doing dailies) and/or roaming as "Kill squads" to ensure a numbers advantage because such players are too bad to win in aforementioned duels... Only in that rare 0.01% of the time is Open World PvP actually utilized in a way that makes for fun gameplay for both sides, where people break out into ad hoc duels or teamfights over specific locations.

In general, PvP is more fun when its on an even playing field. Which usually means, dedicated PvP areas where only people that want to participate can go. That way you get actual fights rather than just griefing (It's also more fun to play as an actual PvPer as the draw of PvP is to have opponents that present some resistance. Since ganking is about as fun as going into a starter map and farming level 2 enemies beyond that odd draw of "Haha, I'm ruining someone elses experience!" that some people apparently get)

Heck, it's one of the reasons why WvW used to be extra lame, back when it was necessary for 100% map completion in Central Tyria, you'd find tons of people whom were only there to get all the PoI's, HP's and Vistas which offered no fun when you slaughtered them with your fully optimized PvP build and on the flip side, it was no fun getting annihilated when you jumped in to do something not PvP related and kept getting ganked.

It's still somewhat a problem with WvW, with dailies and such tasking people with various non-PvP related things but at a much lesser degree than what it used to be.

We also have to keep in mind that if this suggestion was added with an expansion you would have new expansion players.

Meaning you have a bunch of people who just bought the game and level 80 boosted and are running around trying to learn the game in the new zones.

Pvp and getting ganked is not a good new player experience.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:PvP game mode already exists. It isn't needed in Open World.

Following this logic, expansion already exists, we don't need another one. :)

No, that's not following logic at all. Expansions are additional content. The OP is asking for content that already exists.

Open world PvP doesn't exists. While Expansions already do :+1:

@Zawn.9647 said:

No, that's not following logic at all. Expansions are additional content. The OP is asking for content that already exists.

But PvP does exist. I said that earlier. I don't understand why you're arguing this with me.

@kharmin.7683 said:

But PvP does exist. I said that earlier. I don't understand why you're arguing this with me.

Neither do I

I don't want to be that guy but to be fair, i don't quite understand why this topic has been brought upon so frequently when all those times people left very clear that they don't want it. As someone who's played WoW in the times of TBC, WoTLK and Cataclysm, I experienced that Open World PvP (OWPvP) at first hand and I don't want it back. The lack of OWPvP in GW2 is one of many things that motivated me to play this game and I don't miss it... If Anet decides someday to implement it, that will be the day I'll leave the game completely and I'm sure (as far as i've read here in the forums and Reddit) many people will agree with me on that. Nonetheless, I'm quite neutral in adding duelings since this is way more optional.

It'll sound as a clichè commentary, but I'd rather have those resources invested in the already existing PvP modes (SPvP and WvW) since they really need them. I don't think would be a wise decision to neglect those existing modes to favor the creation of a new (and quite similar) one.

What is the difference between pvp zone and pvp lobby/arena? People who want to do pvp know where to get it, people who want to do open world events know where to go. Creating a separate "zone" in open world for people to kill each other... What's the point? Isn't that WvW? Can you explain what's the appeal here?

@"serialkicker.5274" said:What is the difference between pvp zone and pvp lobby/arena? People who want to do pvp know where to get it, people who want to do open world events know where to go. Creating a separate "zone" in open world for people to kill each other... What's the point? Isn't that WvW? Can you explain what's the appeal here?

We ask the same question every time this topic comes up. I really wish people would use the forums search function (sigh)