Don't be part of the problem!

I had a great time playing unranked with my guild last night even though none of us are serious PvP players. But there was one match where we didn't do what some guy on our team wanted us to do for the opening play so he decides to throw the match by sitting at spawn. Whatever. I don't really care about winning in unranked. I figured it was a lost cause anyway, so I finished the match with a nice series just fighting off point at mid. It was great! I went down 1v2, but rallied off the first down as a third enemy player showed up. Then repeated that two more times with last second rallies! Good fights!

At the end of the match, the enemy team pointed out that we probably would have had a close game if not for this guy throwing the match. But then the guy whispers me telling me to go back to PvE, etc. No big deal. Block/report. Otherwise my friends and I had a good time. But it occurs to me that if this is how PvP players behave in unranked, it's no wonder you can't keep any sort of population in ranked for matchmaking.

Blame balance and what not, but also blame piss poor attitudes like this. It's a real turnoff for people who might otherwise get into PvP. So, don't be part of the problem! Cool?

@"sitarskee.5738" said:It's like saying don't be sad when you have depression.

People are going to be toxic because that's what they are. And no forum posts, no nothing is going to change that. Unfortunately.

Fortunately, there's not as much such people as you'd think.

Yeah, maybe. But at least making people aware of it has a chance to change behaviors. Maybe there aren't as many such people as I think there are, but that's not really the point. The point is that there are enough of them that you can ask players why they don't PvP and it isn't balance (That's for PvP players to worry about!) that tops their list, it's toxicity. I mean honestly, you can't even go into unranked without being told by PvP players to "Get off my lawn!"?

I don't personally care for conquest gameplay, so I mostly just duel and roam to get my PvP in. But I would play more if people were a little more respectful of each other in this game mode. Am I expecting everyone to hold hands and sing together? Nope. But there might be a little bit of gray area between that and just not being a salty, toxic, asshole, right?

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"sitarskee.5738" said:It's like saying don't be sad when you have depression.

People are going to be toxic because that's what they are. And no forum posts, no nothing is going to change that. Unfortunately.

Yeah, maybe. But at least making people aware of it has a chance to change behaviors. Maybe there aren't as many such people as I think there are, but that's not really the point. The point is that there are enough of them that you can ask players why they don't PvP and it isn't balance (That's for PvP players to worry about!) that tops their list, it's toxicity. I mean honestly, you can't even go into unranked without being told by PvP players to "Get off my lawn!"?

I don't personally care for conquest gameplay, so I mostly just duel and roam to get my PvP in. But I would play more if people were a little more respectful of each other in this game mode. Am I expecting everyone to hold hands and sing together? Nope. But there might be a little bit of gray area between that and just not being a salty, toxic, kitten, right?

I agree. This is a problem for every MMO game though. There are always going to be toxic and trolling people. I just can't help but feel sorry for those poor souls who can't control their emotions in game and will never achieve anything significant in their lives.

@sitarskee.5738 said:It's like saying don't be sad when you have depression.

Actually I would disagree.

In ranked there is nothing but toxicity usually thus why the population keeps dropping.

In most PvP based games or modes there is always an issue with player retention. Either due to balance complaints , lack of update complaints, boredom or various other issues. The counter to this in many other titles is a steady stream of new player ( a lot from whatever games pve base ) who take their place and the cycle continues.

GW2 PvE player base is quite large but Conquest has a reputation which limits the modes ability to attract players from PvE.

The unfortunate truth is that nothing will change the player base so it will continue to decline in terms of popularity and population. Most think its due to balance and match making issues and to an extent it is but another large issue is the toxicity of the player base which does not attract most new players.

Competitive modes, especially in video games, unfortunately will always attract people who are unsatisfied with who and where they are and never learned to cope with that in a healthy way, and then instead of facing that or at least dealing with it internally want to beat down others to feel better about themselves or at least distract themselves from their perceived inferiority.If things then don't go right even in that virtual world, they are very quick to throw a tantrum since if they can't have their way or aren't good enough to defeat the enemy players, they feel they can have at least some impact by ruining it completely for their teammates by afk'ing or flaming and therefor at least sticking it to someone.Same concept as bullies really.It's unfortunately not something you can cure with a "be nice!". Unless you somehow can give those poor fools a fulfilled life or teach them how to take their shortcomings in stride, they will always be around.The only thing I've seen work somewhat in suppressing that is heavy community support/moderation, punishing that sort of overly toxic behaviour, just like the child they are acting out as, they need to be firmly told that this kind of behaviour is not okay and has consequences.But community support is unfortunately something GW2 is lacking pretty much completely. Hence the decimated PvP population.

The most trashtalking players are in gold and silver, mostly when they where 1 time in Plat.Now in unranked are there players mixedup and you get one-sided matches and Man get obsad about that realy fast.Unranked has no real mmr, what ever anet says there is no way that there is a matchmakingrating.I hope that season starts soon that unranked people can play normally, you should try to avoid the off-season

Anet could implement a system enforcing good behaviour... instead we have even self-proclaimed pros behaving like twelve year olds.

Don't care, you had a good game and fun and some nice talks even with your enemies. :smile:

Sorry, I don't know why I try to cheer you up yet again... we're on the internet, I should rant!

@Megametzler.5729 said:Anet could implement a system enforcing good behaviour... instead we have even self-proclaimed pros behaving like twelve year olds.

Don't care, you had a good game and fun and some nice talks even with your enemies. :smile:

Sorry, I don't know why I try to cheer you up yet again... we're on the internet, I should rant!

Too small community to do so

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Anet could implement a system enforcing good behaviour... instead we have even self-proclaimed pros behaving like twelve year olds.

Too small community to do so

What else is the size of the community responsible for?

Bad matchmaking, no commitment to PVP, toxic behaviour, boring meta, too many noobs, mirage in general and Trumps upcoming reelection?