Terrible download speed

Thanks guys / girls. Though to be honest I dont think you appreciate the scale of this problem. This problem has been reported on on GW forums for years. And no my ISP does not throttle anything. Ive just retried downloading the game. Its currently downloading at 70 - 80kbps. The problem is the launcher itself. Again this issue has been reported in forums for years. For the life of me I cant believe why they have not fixed this issue.

For context - This is the only game (or anything else for that matter)that I have this problem with. For example, I can download Eve Online in about 4 minutes. Eve Online is about 23GB.

The launcher downloads hundreds of thousands of files, a lot of which are only a few KB. When it gets to large chunks of these files, the speed will drop severely, as it take longer to request and process them than it does to download them.

That said, these periods don't last long and the file count should be rapidly dropping. If it's not, it's likely stuck downloading corrupted files, which causes it to infinitely retry. Normally you'd use the -assetsrv option to manually select a server, but it's been broken for several months now. Instead, you have to override your hosts file.

-

To override your hosts files, first find an IP by opening a command prompt and entering:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

Open notepad as an administrator, then open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add the following line, substituting your own IP:52.205.25.53 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

The IPs change regularly, so remove it when you're done. The above IP is for the main US server, if you just want to try it.

@SexWeaselMcGee.2967 said:For example, I can download Eve Online in about 4 minutes. Eve Online is about 23GB.

(~10 minutes at 288Mbps)

• 2 months later...

@Healix.5819 said:The launcher downloads hundreds of thousands of files, a lot of which are only a few KB. When it gets to large chunks of these files, the speed will drop severely, as it take longer to request and process them than it does to download them.

That said, these periods don't last long and the file count should be rapidly dropping. If it's not, it's likely stuck downloading corrupted files, which causes it to infinitely retry. Normally you'd use the -assetsrv option to manually select a server, but it's been broken for several months now. Instead, you have to override your hosts file.

-

To override your hosts files, first find an IP by opening a command prompt and entering:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

Open notepad as an administrator, then open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add the following line, substituting your own IP:52.205.25.53 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

The IPs change regularly, so remove it when you're done. The above IP is for the main US server, if you just want to try it.

@SexWeaselMcGee.2967 said:For example, I can download Eve Online in about 4 minutes. Eve Online is about 23GB.

(~10 minutes at 288Mbps)

This helped me today!